Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance 14:47 - May 8 with 10277 viewsGlasgowBlue

from 12% to 20%.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/08/labour-plan-hit-millions-workers-hiki

Taking aside that those who take out private health care insurance already contribute to the NHS through NI deductions, if you drive people from private to NHS the strain will put the NHS at breaking point.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 14:53 - May 8 with 3152 viewsconnorscontract

We're all in it together, Glasgow, remember?

I guess you could see it as a bit of compensation to the state system for the huge investment made in training Doctors and Nurses only to see them bugga off for more cash asap. A bit like the fee when Cat 1 clubs poach our Academy players.
Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 14:54 - May 8 with 3144 viewschicoazul

I quite like the idea. I also quite like the idea of adding VAT to private school fees and of stopping people having to pay for car parking in hospitals. I like a lot of what I have heard from them so far.I will wait for the Manifesto but I also like the idea Corbyn floated about re-nationalising the Railways.
Equally I have no faith whatsoever in any of them having the ability to carry their policies out which for me at least is one of their biggest problems in this election. It just seems that so few of the public rate any of their high profile people and I feel the same. Just cant bring myself to vote for Diane Abbott being in charge of our police or Comrade John being in charge of taxation.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 14:56 - May 8 with 3133 viewsGlasgowBlue

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 14:53 - May 8 by connorscontract

We're all in it together, Glasgow, remember?

I guess you could see it as a bit of compensation to the state system for the huge investment made in training Doctors and Nurses only to see them bugga off for more cash asap. A bit like the fee when Cat 1 clubs poach our Academy players.

All well and good but if just 5% of those who use private medical insurance lapse their policies and go NHS then the whole system will come tumbling down.

Is there a time limit of a medical professional working in the NHS before going over to private full time? If not then there should be some form of compensation from those professionals as they have been trained by the state.

Iron Lion Zion

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 14:58 - May 8 with 3119 viewsGeoffSentence

In principal I have no problem with this idea, I have private health insurance myself so would be hit by it.

Private health prices go up for reasons other than tax anyway, in my own scheme for instance prices have gone up because, er, people have been using it.

I am not keen on the idea of using it to pay for parking at hospitals rather than putting the money into health care though.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 14:59 - May 8 with 3112 viewsStokieBlue

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 14:54 - May 8 by chicoazul

I quite like the idea. I also quite like the idea of adding VAT to private school fees and of stopping people having to pay for car parking in hospitals. I like a lot of what I have heard from them so far.I will wait for the Manifesto but I also like the idea Corbyn floated about re-nationalising the Railways.
Equally I have no faith whatsoever in any of them having the ability to carry their policies out which for me at least is one of their biggest problems in this election. It just seems that so few of the public rate any of their high profile people and I feel the same. Just cant bring myself to vote for Diane Abbott being in charge of our police or Comrade John being in charge of taxation.

How does he plan to renationalise the railways?

Why did JM pick 80k as a higher earner? Nothing to do with it being just above his salary and him being classified as a high earner would be bad for his cred? It was 70k last week.

Given people who have private healthcare also pay for the NHS why should they be taxed more on that healthcare? As GB says, surely that will send them back to the NHS increasing the strain. All that for some car parking?

They are all just as cynical as each other.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:01 - May 8 with 3103 viewsBluefish

Labour hate anyone not seen as in need and think it appeals to others to penalise them regardless of the implications. If baffles me why they can't grasp that low corporation tax can bring in more

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:02 - May 8 with 3103 viewschicoazul

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 14:59 - May 8 by StokieBlue

Why did JM pick 80k as a higher earner? Nothing to do with it being just above his salary and him being classified as a high earner would be bad for his cred? It was 70k last week.

Given people who have private healthcare also pay for the NHS why should they be taxed more on that healthcare? As GB says, surely that will send them back to the NHS increasing the strain. All that for some car parking?

SB

Agree on the cynicism. Agree on the 80k point too, as you may know I have said many times recently that 70k isnt rich and neither is 80k.

I have no idea on how he would do it, I do dimly remember him talking about it though and I would be keen to know more. But on the other hand it's moot because I am sure he and his Comrades would make a pigs ear of it anyway.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:07 - May 8 with 3079 viewsGeoffSentence

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:02 - May 8 by chicoazul

Agree on the cynicism. Agree on the 80k point too, as you may know I have said many times recently that 70k isnt rich and neither is 80k.

I have no idea on how he would do it, I do dimly remember him talking about it though and I would be keen to know more. But on the other hand it's moot because I am sure he and his Comrades would make a pigs ear of it anyway.

If it were me I would legislate to make it difficult to make a profit from railways, then pick up the franchises as the private companies dropped them.

Login to get fewer ads

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:10 - May 8 with 3065 viewsGeoffSentence

On the other hand, with less work on some of the nurses and doctors may be end up returning to the NHS reducing the need for agency staff.

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:10 - May 8 with 3061 viewsBluefish

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:07 - May 8 by GeoffSentence

If it were me I would legislate to make it difficult to make a profit from railways, then pick up the franchises as the private companies dropped them.

What would you say if north Korea legislated to make it difficult for businesses to make profit and then took them all over?

If we are going down that route we should aim higher than railways. We should start with Google

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:12 - May 8 with 3049 viewsvapour_trail

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 14:59 - May 8 by StokieBlue

SB

Is there any evidence that this tax rise would lead to large numbers of cancellations of health care plans, or is that supposition?

Genuine question.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:22 - May 8 with 3017 viewschicoazul

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:01 - May 8 by Bluefish

Labour hate anyone not seen as in need and think it appeals to others to penalise them regardless of the implications. If baffles me why they can't grasp that low corporation tax can bring in more

Corporation tax is already very low. Companies can completely write off paying it if they can prove they are investing heavily, a la Thames Water. And they can of course do exactly what Amazon et al do by easily swerving corporation tax.
I dont think there is much scope for more tax to be recovered beyond what the current level is.

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:27 - May 8 with 2988 viewsBluefish

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:22 - May 8 by chicoazul

Corporation tax is already very low. Companies can completely write off paying it if they can prove they are investing heavily, a la Thames Water. And they can of course do exactly what Amazon et al do by easily swerving corporation tax.
I dont think there is much scope for more tax to be recovered beyond what the current level is.

I wasn't saying decrease I was opposing the labour stance that wants to tax businesses as much as they can

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:31 - May 8 with 2970 viewsStokieBlue

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:07 - May 8 by GeoffSentence

So you mean change the terms of a legal agreement and then force a company with shareholders and probably pension fund investors out of business?

I would position that's a pretty silly thing to do if you want to attract private investment to a post-brexit UK.

Not renewing franchises is fine. What your proposing isn't in my opinion.

SB

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:32 - May 8 with 2957 viewsClapham_Junction

SB

They've said railway renationalisation would be done as the current franchise contracts expire, so they wouldn't have to buy any companies out of their contracts.
Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:33 - May 8 with 2953 viewsStokieBlue

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:12 - May 8 by vapour_trail

Is there any evidence that this tax rise would lead to large numbers of cancellations of health care plans, or is that supposition?

Genuine question.

Supposition.

But what would you do? Pay twice and pay extra all for car parking or just use the excellent NHS? The money isn't even going to healthcare.

SB

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:35 - May 8 with 2945 viewsStokieBlue

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:32 - May 8 by Clapham_Junction

They've said railway renationalisation would be done as the current franchise contracts expire, so they wouldn't have to buy any companies out of their contracts.

In which case that's a viable policy as long as they can fund the running of the services.

SB

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:39 - May 8 with 2914 viewsGlasgowBlue

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:12 - May 8 by vapour_trail

Genuine question.

It's supposition at the moment which is why I'm putting it out there.

But if you already pay for a service, through taxation, that you don't use and you find the tax on your private health care almost doubled then surely that could be the difference between renewing or not next year.

A lot of people who take out private health care aren't multi millionaires. They are often small business owners or the self employed, already struggling to make a profit, who need quick treatment in order to get back to work asap.

Iron Lion Zion

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:40 - May 8 with 2908 viewsClapham_Junction

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:35 - May 8 by StokieBlue

In which case that's a viable policy as long as they can fund the running of the services.

SB

The experience of East Coast mainline would suggest they could.

Because it was such a success the government rushed the reprivatisation of it prior to the 2015 elections in case Labour won.
Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:44 - May 8 with 2890 viewsGeoffSentence

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:31 - May 8 by StokieBlue

So you mean change the terms of a legal agreement and then force a company with shareholders and probably pension fund investors out of business?

I would position that's a pretty silly thing to do if you want to attract private investment to a post-brexit UK.

Not renewing franchises is fine. What your proposing isn't in my opinion.

SB

With a bit of imagination it would be possible, an increase in safety standards here, a tax increase there, it could work out.

As the rail franchises are largely owned by arms of foreign state owned railway companies I don't think we have to worry too much about them going out of business without the subsidies provided by british taxpayers. They will be just fine.

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:50 - May 8 with 2870 viewshype313

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 14:54 - May 8 by chicoazul

Re-nationalise the railways? do you remember British Rail?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:52 - May 8 with 2865 viewsStokieBlue

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:44 - May 8 by GeoffSentence

With a bit of imagination it would be possible, an increase in safety standards here, a tax increase there, it could work out.

As the rail franchises are largely owned by arms of foreign state owned railway companies I don't think we have to worry too much about them going out of business without the subsidies provided by british taxpayers. They will be just fine.

You've missed the entire point of my post unfortunately.

Of course it's possible. Whether it's a sensible thing to do for a developed nation is something else together.

SB

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 16:00 - May 8 with 2839 viewshype313

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 15:52 - May 8 by StokieBlue

You've missed the entire point of my post unfortunately.

Of course it's possible. Whether it's a sensible thing to do for a developed nation is something else together.

SB

Indeed, anyone who thinks grabbing back the railways from franchises post brexit is a good idea, PR Wise, is in for a rude awakening.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 16:33 - May 8 with 2800 viewsNo9

If the 'private health' companies supported themselves instead of supping of the NHS & having the NHS put right their fcuk ups things may be a little better.
As part of your politics is o see the NHS destroyed why are you concerned except for another politico stir of the excreta
Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 16:35 - May 8 with 2795 viewsGlasgowBlue

Labour's plan to raise tax private health care insurance on 16:33 - May 8 by No9

If the 'private health' companies supported themselves instead of supping of the NHS & having the NHS put right their fcuk ups things may be a little better.
As part of your politics is o see the NHS destroyed why are you concerned except for another politico stir of the excreta

Could you post that again in English please?

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024