Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TWTD Helpdesk - antivirus 14:53 - May 11 with 1328 viewsLankHenners

Afternoon all,

Because I'm a tight/lazy/daft sod, I let my subscription to Mcafee Livesafe antivirus software (which came already installed for a year) run out on my laptop a while ago. My laptop has been running increasingly slowly of late (there is also a fan problem which I took advice from on here a while ago and am going to finally get that permanently sorted in the next few weeks) and I get the odd random redirect to a 'complete this survey for a chance to win xyz' etc. type things.

Now, my question to you lot is: should I pay the £32 it will cost to renew the Mcafee subscription, or is there a free alternative (malwarebytes etc.) that would work just as well.

Anyone have experience with either? I'm assuming a paid-for antivirus software would work better than a free one but just wanted to see if anyone had other suggestions before going ahead and buying the thing.

Thanks.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

TWTD Helpdesk - antivirus on 14:57 - May 11 with 1310 viewsGromheort

Go free! Currently trying Avira

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-antivirus,review-2588-5.html
TWTD Helpdesk - antivirus on 15:01 - May 11 with 1298 viewsWadeyBlue

Uninstall all Macafee stuff and go get Aviri from the link above. Its free and not resource hungry unlike mf and norton.

Also install malware bytes. Also free and worth running from time to time. Keeps your laptop free of unwanted characters.

Finally install C Cleaner and also run that from time to time.
[Post edited 11 May 2017 15:11]

Poll: In our multicultural society and ever changing world should we offer halal food?

TWTD Helpdesk - antivirus on 15:34 - May 11 with 1256 viewsLankHenners

TWTD Helpdesk - antivirus on 15:01 - May 11 by WadeyBlue

Uninstall all Macafee stuff and go get Aviri from the link above. Its free and not resource hungry unlike mf and norton.

Also install malware bytes. Also free and worth running from time to time. Keeps your laptop free of unwanted characters.

Finally install C Cleaner and also run that from time to time.
[Post edited 11 May 2017 15:11]

Thanks both - will run avira and/or malwarebytes to see if they make a difference.

TWTD Helpdesk - antivirus on 17:33 - May 11 with 1209 viewstractorian

Do as the others suggest re virus checkers (although many think Microsoft's Defender is just as effective), but another reason why your laptop might be running slowly of late (I'm assuming Windows 10 is installed) is because there are some large updates (and subsequent update fixes) coming through.

Microsoft issue these updates on the second Tuesday of each month (known as Patch Tuesday). A particularly heavy one (and its subsequent corrections) came out last month, but the one issued this week is also quite hefty (sorry about the technical terms) and churns away downloading and installing in the background. If you want to check for this, go into Settings and Windows Update.

Also, running a defrag now and again would keep your laptop up to speed. Type Disk Defragmentation into the bottom left search box, click on the entry on the top and run.
TWTD Helpdesk - antivirus on 17:39 - May 11 with 1193 viewsLankHenners

TWTD Helpdesk - antivirus on 17:33 - May 11 by tractorian

Do as the others suggest re virus checkers (although many think Microsoft's Defender is just as effective), but another reason why your laptop might be running slowly of late (I'm assuming Windows 10 is installed) is because there are some large updates (and subsequent update fixes) coming through.

Microsoft issue these updates on the second Tuesday of each month (known as Patch Tuesday). A particularly heavy one (and its subsequent corrections) came out last month, but the one issued this week is also quite hefty (sorry about the technical terms) and churns away downloading and installing in the background. If you want to check for this, go into Settings and Windows Update.

Also, running a defrag now and again would keep your laptop up to speed. Type Disk Defragmentation into the bottom left search box, click on the entry on the top and run.

Ah - that would make some sense as I had a message pop up the other day saying it was going to restart my laptop for updates in 'out of use' times or similar.

Thanks - will give defragmentation a go.

TWTD Helpdesk - antivirus on 17:45 - May 11 with 1180 viewschiddley

avg free is all you need. tried and tested for over 10 years on my machines.

Poll: The best joke petition of the last few days

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024