Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 16:32 - Jun 19 with 14012 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Here we go! The best week of horse racing that the flat season has to offer. 30 races — all on ITV 1 — 6.5 million in prize money over the five days. As usual for the big meetings, I have chosen to do a preview for each of the day’s high class racing. I will also be at the track in the grandstand for the opening day here with three group 1 contests.

2:30 — Queen Anne Stakes (Group 1)
Talk about starting off with a bang! Royal Ascot 2017 gets underway with a group 1 race over the straight mile. The last 8 winners since 2009 onwards have been Paco Boy, Goldikova, Canford Cliffs, Frankel, Declaration Of war, Toronado, Solow and Tepin. If any of those were running in this race during their heydays, you’d expect it to be a head to head with RIBCHESTER. The Lockinge winner is a classy individual who looks the banker of the day in the opener. It is telling that his main rival in the betting, Lightning Spear (3rd last year), has already been beaten on his last four efforts against the Godolphin horse. He is quite simply the class horse in the race and in a race that rarely has big shocks (as proven by the list of the last 8 winner), he gets the confident selection in the opener. I think the each way bet of the race could be the horse from the States for Todd Pletcher — American Patriot at 25/1. He isn’t as good as last year’s Amerian challenger — and winner — Tepin but is a grade 1 winner in his country and could go well at a big price. Deuville and Mutakayyef are solid horses but are they really in the same league as Ribchester? Not for me.

It is also worth noting that Betway are offering money back as a free bet up to £10 in the first race of every day of Royal Ascot whilst Skybet are offering the same but for this race only up to £20.

3:05 — Coventry Stakes (Group 2)
The Coventry Stakes is arguably my most successful race with Buratino and Caravaggio winning for me in the last two years with the latter being my NAP of the meeting in 2016. Buratino won the Woodcote at Epsom stylishly before winning well in this in 2015 which is what DE BRUYNE HORSE is looking to do. He quickened away nicely to win at Epsom beating a decent yardstick in Cardsharp powering away in the last furlong. I didn’t back him that day but was very impressed track side and I promised myself that I would back him at Royal Ascot. Richard Hannon likes the horse and he still seems to have improvement in him. A flat track like Ascot should suit too. Arawak is the 1st Wesley Ward runner of the week but I don’t think he is anywhere near as highly regarded as Happy Like A Fool (favourite for Wednesday’s Queen Mary Stakes) and Ward is generally bullish about his best ones. Murillo is one of two for Aiden O’Brien and could be anything based on his second start which was a nice win. Denaar has the same profile as last year’s second Mehmas and should run his race whilst Nebo, Romanised and Rajasinghe are unknown quanities. However, my second selection, albeit each way, is AQABAH at 20/1 for Godolphin. He was beaten by today’s favourite Brother Bear but the latter clearly handled the rain soaked surface unlike my selection but the faster ground should suit and I feel he is an interesting runner at a price.

3:40 — King’s Stand Stakes (Group 1)
I just can’t wait for this. Marsha against LADY AURELIA (NAP). France against America. Marsha has proven herself to be a high class sprinter with wins in the Prix De L’Abbaye and then to defy the penalty to win the Palace House Stakes at Newmarket was one of the best performances of this season so far. She will run a big race again. However, I am in love with Lady Aurelia. The Wesley Ward 3 year old stunned the racing world when living up to her huge reputation of softer than ideal ground to win the Queen Mary Stakes by 9 lengths. She cantered at an incredible speed from the off and turned into an absolute machine when Frankie Dettori said go. She was tried over further but didn’t stay but this was after another win, this time in France. Her prep in the USA was impressive and I can invisage her winning stylishly again. So much so, I contacted six bookmakers on twitter to get a price on her winning the race her in track record time. Only two offered a price with William Hills offering 20/1 but 25/1 Paddy Power. Worth a dabble on this fast ground. The race will be run at a blistering pace which suits Take Cover but he, like Cotai Glory, are probably on the downgrade. In fact, the former’s main target is at Goodwood in a race he loves there. Priceless is capable, likewise Profitable who won this last year. Both need the gaps to appear in running though and this is a big field. Signs of Blessing surely needs rain. Goldream looks a solid bet each way at big odds as he absolutely loves fast ground. He also won the race in 2015.

4:20 — St James’ Palace Stakes (Group 1)
CHURCHILL is the champion 3 year old after landing the English and Irish 2000 Guineas double. He has won his last 7 races since a debut defeat including four group 1s. He is tasked with confirming form with his main rivals here with Thunder Snow beaten comfortably in the Irish classic into second. Barney Roy was only beaten a length at Newmarket but was perhaps unlucky. However, Churchill is known to be a colt that does just enough and is likely just too classy. Rivet is a group one winner when winning the Racing Post Trophy and should be better suited to this trip after struggling at the end in the French Derby.

5:00 — Ascot Stakes (handicap)
A change of racing now as we go from 3 year old colts into a staying handicap with Willie Mullins holding the market leader in Thomas Hobson. Mullins has won this twice in the last four years and his charge should go well back on the flat. He was useful four years ago when last in this discipline and sets a decent standard if running to his best. Yorkidding is a gutsy horse off the front and leaves nothing on the track at the end whilst Magic Circle plods on and was unlucky in the Chester Cup in 5th. He probably wants a softer surface than here though. Who Dares Wins was backed as if defeat was out of the question when 4th in that same race but was given lots to do on a tight track. Oceane will enjoy the step up to 2m 4f but none more so than BEYOND CONCEIT. Beaten by the sheer speed down the hill in the Supreme Novices’ Hurdle at Cheltenham a long way out, he bounced back at Aintree to finish a cracking second in that Grade 1. He had been off for 3 years prior to this season which is testament to the brilliant training performance of Nicky Henderson with the horse. I like the son of Galileo here and think he will run a big race.

5:35 — Windsor Castle Stakes (listed)
DeclarationofPeace was moved at the 48 hour declaration stage to this race from the group 2 Coventry Stakes which suggests he’s not been flying at home for Aiden O’Brien. Wesley Ward runs two here including Nootka Sound. He will run better on grass than on dirt according to his trainer which is an interesting point. Ward also runs Elizabeth Darcy who, despite showing better form, appears to be the second string in this race for the American trainer. Neither have been backed financially en masse or verbally by the trainer which suggests they don’t have a superstar in the race. Dragon’s Tail was impressive at Chester but that track is very different to here and the form is questionable. The selection instead goes to ROUSSEL who won like a nice horse at Leicester which is a track renowned for having some good 2 year old maiden winners. The win on debut came after costing Godolphin £360,000 so he ticks plenty of boxes.

Day 1 bets:
2:30 — RIBCHESTER - £30 WIN @ 8/11
(£20 Skybet money back as a free bet if you lose and £10 Betway money back as a free bet if you lose.)
3:05 — AQABAH - £3 EACH WAY @ 20/1
- DE BRUYNE HORSE - £8 WIN @ 7/1
3:40 — LADY AURELIA - £30 WIN @APPROXIMATELY 10/3
(If Ribchester loses this bet is the free bets of both Skybet £20 and Betway £10)
- LADY AURELIA TO BREAK THE TRACK RECORD - £5 @ 25/1
4:20 — CHURCHILL — MULTIPLES ONLY — WIN @ 4/6
5:00 — BEYOND CONCEIT - £10 WIN @ 8/1
5:35 — ROUSSEL - £5 EACH WAY @ 12/1

Hopefully I do better than my last visit to a race track on Oaks Day at Epsom and get a few winners. Or even 1 would be nice. I have lots of multiples with Lady Aurelia and Ribchester in and they are my main two single bets so hopefully they win. Whatever happens, 32 degrees in a suit could be interesting tomorrow. Either way, I am really looking forward to it.

Good luck all,
Keeeeeeeeeep winning!
[Post edited 19 Jun 2017 17:18]

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 17:32 - Jun 19 with 7131 viewstortoise

Well I think Ribchester is the biggest cert of the meeting, but I've put it in doubles and a treble with Marsha and Barney Roy, so disagree with you there! Whatever happens it's a cracking day's racing!
Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 17:38 - Jun 19 with 7115 viewsBergholtBru

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 17:32 - Jun 19 by tortoise

Well I think Ribchester is the biggest cert of the meeting, but I've put it in doubles and a treble with Marsha and Barney Roy, so disagree with you there! Whatever happens it's a cracking day's racing!

Yeah, I`ve done those three as well. Also fancy Goldream e/w in Marsha`s race and Mullin`s horse in the 5.00.

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 17:48 - Jun 19 with 7107 viewsBlueinBrum

Mr Romford

I'm going on Saturday on a client jolly and know naff all about racing and will be too interested in the free champers to pay much attention.

Any tips (or perhaps tips of which journos to follow for tips) for Saturday in advance so that i can bluff that i have a vague bit of chat when required?

Ta
Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 18:04 - Jun 19 with 7087 viewstaximan

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 17:48 - Jun 19 by BlueinBrum

Mr Romford

I'm going on Saturday on a client jolly and know naff all about racing and will be too interested in the free champers to pay much attention.

Any tips (or perhaps tips of which journos to follow for tips) for Saturday in advance so that i can bluff that i have a vague bit of chat when required?

Ta

buy a racing post on the morning of your day out

if in doubt follow their verdict

they are professional racing journalists and tipsters
Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 18:07 - Jun 19 with 7094 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 17:48 - Jun 19 by BlueinBrum

Mr Romford

Ta

I'll have my preview for Saturday up by Thursday evening as I'm on an all day sesh with my mates Friday who are back from uni.

I saw a nice horse at Chester that should go well in the wolferton handicap.. Khairaat. About 5/1 ish.

Ill send you my preview for Saturday Thursday evening.

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 18:09 - Jun 19 with 7089 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 17:32 - Jun 19 by tortoise

Best day of the meeting by a mile

Love Ribchester. If I didn't love Lady A, he'd be my nap of the meeting

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 20:14 - Jun 19 with 7025 viewsBorisOrTrevor

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 18:09 - Jun 19 by The_Romford_Blue

The race I am excited most about is the Commonwealth Cup.

Re tomorrow, not sure about wide draw and quicker ground for Ribchester, I see it drifting, vulnerable (I won big style on it in Lockinge too and am a fan but not tomorrow). Lightning Soear is an e.w bet to nothing, ideal conditions and still slightly unexposed.

I was on Barney Roy in Guineas and it nearly fell over in dip. Again would rather have this at odds against than Churchill at odds on.

Marsha looks a certainty to me.

Bet if day is Magic Circle if he handles the ground.

BOT

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 20:33 - Jun 19 with 7005 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 20:14 - Jun 19 by BorisOrTrevor

The race I am excited most about is the Commonwealth Cup.

Re tomorrow, not sure about wide draw and quicker ground for Ribchester, I see it drifting, vulnerable (I won big style on it in Lockinge too and am a fan but not tomorrow). Lightning Soear is an e.w bet to nothing, ideal conditions and still slightly unexposed.

I was on Barney Roy in Guineas and it nearly fell over in dip. Again would rather have this at odds against than Churchill at odds on.

Marsha looks a certainty to me.

Bet if day is Magic Circle if he handles the ground.

I can't see Magic Circle handling the fast ground. If it had rained, he would've been my bet along with Beyond Conceit for that.

Marsha is the certainty? Lady A is going to break the track record for me.

If Al wukair ran here, id have backed him to bat Churchill. But I think Churchill beats Barney Roy who I'm simply not a fan of.

Ribchester is as near a certainty that is a backable price as you will see I think. His main rival he's beat 4 times in a row.

Caravaggio v Harry Angel is also the race I'm most loookig forward to. I'll be with Caravaggio simply because he's been so good to me. It's not a race to go big in as both could win. Caravaggio winning the Coventry last year was my moment of the meeting.

I'm buzzing ma tits off for tomorrow bud

Login to get fewer ads

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 20:40 - Jun 19 with 6993 viewsBorisOrTrevor

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 20:33 - Jun 19 by The_Romford_Blue

I can't see Magic Circle handling the fast ground. If it had rained, he would've been my bet along with Beyond Conceit for that.

Marsha is the certainty? Lady A is going to break the track record for me.

If Al wukair ran here, id have backed him to bat Churchill. But I think Churchill beats Barney Roy who I'm simply not a fan of.

Ribchester is as near a certainty that is a backable price as you will see I think. His main rival he's beat 4 times in a row.

Caravaggio v Harry Angel is also the race I'm most loookig forward to. I'll be with Caravaggio simply because he's been so good to me. It's not a race to go big in as both could win. Caravaggio winning the Coventry last year was my moment of the meeting.

I'm buzzing ma tits off for tomorrow bud

Yep v.excited.

I think they will have watered quite a bit which should see Magic Circle through.

My bet of week is Mainstream on Friday. Think this one has a stone in hand. But Caravaggio vx Harry Angel vs Blue Point is a helluva race.

BOT

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 20:47 - Jun 19 with 6976 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 20:40 - Jun 19 by BorisOrTrevor

Yep v.excited.

I think they will have watered quite a bit which should see Magic Circle through.

My bet of week is Mainstream on Friday. Think this one has a stone in hand. But Caravaggio vx Harry Angel vs Blue Point is a helluva race.

They topped it up to 40mm this morning but won't water again until after tomorrow's racing the clerk said so it's going to be good ground at the very least. Likely to be firm tbh

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 20:59 - Jun 19 with 6953 viewsBorisOrTrevor

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 20:47 - Jun 19 by The_Romford_Blue

They topped it up to 40mm this morning but won't water again until after tomorrow's racing the clerk said so it's going to be good ground at the very least. Likely to be firm tbh

Ok. Well with Magic Circle he may be scratched. Ralph Beckett doesn't eff about like some.

Not sure really quick ground will suit Ribchester, I wouldn't back him at odds on....but it's all about opinions!

BOT

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 21:05 - Jun 19 with 6939 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 20:59 - Jun 19 by BorisOrTrevor

Ok. Well with Magic Circle he may be scratched. Ralph Beckett doesn't eff about like some.

Not sure really quick ground will suit Ribchester, I wouldn't back him at odds on....but it's all about opinions!

It's more that I don't think he will be unsuited by it

It's not ideal but he's far too good for them I think

I was going to be all over Main desire before her injury for the queen Mary but now that American horse I believe could be special. Happy like a fool. Her speed times in debut suggests she's another Acapulco or lady Aurelia.

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 21:25 - Jun 19 with 6913 viewsBlueinBrum

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 18:07 - Jun 19 by The_Romford_Blue

I'll have my preview for Saturday up by Thursday evening as I'm on an all day sesh with my mates Friday who are back from uni.

I saw a nice horse at Chester that should go well in the wolferton handicap.. Khairaat. About 5/1 ish.

Ill send you my preview for Saturday Thursday evening.

Much obliged old chap, look forward to it.
Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 23:51 - Jun 19 with 6838 viewsOsborneOneNil

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 18:09 - Jun 19 by The_Romford_Blue

I'm also there tomorrow, Rommy, can' t wait
Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 08:38 - Jun 20 with 6760 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 23:51 - Jun 19 by OsborneOneNil

I'm also there tomorrow, Rommy, can' t wait

I'll be the one in the suit and shades ;)

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 08:56 - Jun 20 with 6744 viewsRIPbobby

Nice write up romford. For me the ground is going to be too hard and I have a feeling that a lot of the favourites are going to struggle. Unless they have watered the track.

Good luck all.
Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 10:58 - Jun 20 with 6695 viewsStenvict

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 08:38 - Jun 20 by The_Romford_Blue

I'll be the one in the suit and shades ;)

That's narrowed it down

Poll: What will be announced first?

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 12:54 - Jun 20 with 6635 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I made it

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 12:55 - Jun 20 with 6635 viewsArcher4721

Bet of the day is mutakayyef in the first race

Get on now 7-1 ew 1/4 odds.
Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 13:00 - Jun 20 with 6618 viewsStenvict

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 12:54 - Jun 20 by The_Romford_Blue

I made it

Tuck your shirt in you scruffy barsteward.

And do your top button up.

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 14:39 - Jun 20 with 6549 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Get in there

I screamed him home

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 14:58 - Jun 20 with 6526 viewsStenvict

3.05 - Prince of Dark
5.35 - Dragons Tail

From the yard, both have a very good chance and a decent price.

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 14:59 - Jun 20 with 6525 viewsITFC1983

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 12:55 - Jun 20 by Archer4721

Bet of the day is mutakayyef in the first race

Get on now 7-1 ew 1/4 odds.

Well played Archer, see it went off at 5/1...

Poll: £16m Mario Balotelli or £11m Ross McCormack or £FREE* David McGoldrick

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 15:17 - Jun 20 with 6500 viewsArcher4721

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 14:59 - Jun 20 by ITFC1983

Well played Archer, see it went off at 5/1...

Fancy Marsha a bit in 3.40 100/30 right now. Should take all the beating.
Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 15:18 - Jun 20 with 6492 viewsBorisOrTrevor

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 14:39 - Jun 20 by The_Romford_Blue

Get in there

I screamed him home

Yep good result for you. Went off a realistic price in end, 8 to 11 was too short given possible pitfalls...

I just backed Murillo and it drifted then ran an odd race. Not the first time I have backed a Ryan Moore horse recently where he has given it a bit of a tender ride.

BOT

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024