Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hold the front page! 20:55 - Feb 18 with 5319 viewsJamiebed

So let's get this right.
McCarthy substitutes fan favourite (!) Iorfa for another right-back leading to chorus of 'your football is s...'. We then score and McCarthy is seen mouthing 'f... off' in our general direction. Cue hysteria and indignation - how dare such industrial language be directed at us in the heat of the goal-scoring moment? We haven't said boo to a goose all day, and we are really upset that such horrible words might have been directed at us.

Incidentally I do think 'our football is s...', but c'mon everyone, calm down.

Blog: Up and Down, We Follow

Hold the front page! on 20:57 - Feb 18 with 3405 viewsJ2BLUE

I think the booing was because it was the third sub and Celina wasn't coming on. Nothing to do with a sudden love for Iorfa or a dislike of Spence.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Hold the front page! on 22:16 - Feb 18 with 3256 viewsgt81

Hold the front page! on 20:57 - Feb 18 by J2BLUE

I think the booing was because it was the third sub and Celina wasn't coming on. Nothing to do with a sudden love for Iorfa or a dislike of Spence.

The booing was because all 3 subs showed the same negative shut up shop tactic we see almost every time we are against it, though I understand that Iorfa was probably knackered.

We desperately needed a change of tack and some outlets in midfield to keep the ball away from Maddison, but Mick just doesn't have the strategic nous to do that.
hmmm on 22:20 - Feb 18 with 3236 viewsDyland

Hold the front page! on 22:16 - Feb 18 by gt81

The booing was because all 3 subs showed the same negative shut up shop tactic we see almost every time we are against it, though I understand that Iorfa was probably knackered.

We desperately needed a change of tack and some outlets in midfield to keep the ball away from Maddison, but Mick just doesn't have the strategic nous to do that.

So who would you have swapped Celina for "to keep the ball away from Maddison"?

Celina has been pretty poor at keeping possession in recent weeks.

Although I get your general point I'm not sure today is the right time to beat McCarthy with this stick.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Hold the front page! on 22:22 - Feb 18 with 3216 viewsPJH

Strange that he worked out a way to do it for the first 45 minutes then.
Hold the front page! on 22:23 - Feb 18 with 3201 viewsDarth_Koont

Although Spence helped get us back into the game and that little flurry of pressure ended up with Chambers' goal. I agree McGoldrick and Hyam did little for us - or at least our ability to get and use the ball but they made perfect sense at the time.

They weren't negative subs though. At worst they were neutral substitutions in a 0-0 away from home where we were being overrun in the middle. Fresh legs and like for like made sense given how well we'd managed in the first half.

Pronouns: He/Him

Hold the front page! on 22:24 - Feb 18 with 3189 viewsjaykay

Hold the front page! on 22:22 - Feb 18 by PJH

Strange that he worked out a way to do it for the first 45 minutes then.

pity the game wasnt that long

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Hold the front page! on 22:27 - Feb 18 with 3170 viewsPJH

Hold the front page! on 22:24 - Feb 18 by jaykay

Yes but post I was replying to said that he did not have the nous to do it.
MM won the tactical battle in the first half very comfortably.
Hold the front page! on 22:28 - Feb 18 with 3165 viewsstantheman

So when Knudsen tried to get us 2-0 up towards the end he is castigated for not shutting up shop by taking it into the corner. Jesus the comments on here are just schoolboy stuff sometimes. To say that Celina is a midfield powerhouse is just laughable. The worst decision was bringing on McGoldrick who seems to do no wrong in some fans eyes.
Login to get fewer ads

Hold the front page! on 22:28 - Feb 18 with 3168 viewsSuffolktractor

I suspect that MM has more strategic nous than all of the ‘supporters’ that were telling him about the quality of his football. With Dozzell, Huwes and Bishop all out for the season, his midfield options are limited.
Also had it not been for their equaliser in the last seconds, his tactics and nous would have won us the game. Lay off the guy, we are not talented enough to go to Carrot Road, stroke the ball around like Man City and go home with a 3-0 win, the best we could ever hope for was a hard fought 1-0 and we very nearly achieved it.
hmmm on 22:28 - Feb 18 with 3161 viewsgt81

hmmm on 22:20 - Feb 18 by Dyland

So who would you have swapped Celina for "to keep the ball away from Maddison"?

Celina has been pretty poor at keeping possession in recent weeks.

Although I get your general point I'm not sure today is the right time to beat McCarthy with this stick.

I'd have had Celina and Carayol for Gleeson and Garner, and pushed Waghorn up front into the position Garner was playing. I think Celina would have had better joy today in the derby atmosphere and against a tiring City defence that looked shaky at times.

When is the right time to beat McCarthy with a stick? Most people's views are already fairly entrentched, if we'd have held on today we'd all be happy in the short term but it would still just be papering over the cracks if we continue to look poor for the rest of the season.
I agree with your last sentence (n/t) on 22:30 - Feb 18 with 3135 viewsDyland

hmmm on 22:28 - Feb 18 by gt81

I'd have had Celina and Carayol for Gleeson and Garner, and pushed Waghorn up front into the position Garner was playing. I think Celina would have had better joy today in the derby atmosphere and against a tiring City defence that looked shaky at times.

When is the right time to beat McCarthy with a stick? Most people's views are already fairly entrentched, if we'd have held on today we'd all be happy in the short term but it would still just be papering over the cracks if we continue to look poor for the rest of the season.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Hold the front page! on 22:31 - Feb 18 with 3136 viewsDarth_Koont

Hold the front page! on 22:28 - Feb 18 by Suffolktractor

I suspect that MM has more strategic nous than all of the ‘supporters’ that were telling him about the quality of his football. With Dozzell, Huwes and Bishop all out for the season, his midfield options are limited.
Also had it not been for their equaliser in the last seconds, his tactics and nous would have won us the game. Lay off the guy, we are not talented enough to go to Carrot Road, stroke the ball around like Man City and go home with a 3-0 win, the best we could ever hope for was a hard fought 1-0 and we very nearly achieved it.

We very nearly achieved a 2-0 ...

Would have flattered us clearly but nevertheless it was close enough to touch.

Hold the front page! on 22:33 - Feb 18 with 3110 viewspete81

Hold the front page! on 22:24 - Feb 18 by jaykay

Yeah it was Mcgolrick going on for Garner instead of either Ceilina or Carayol which was the wrong one.
Either of the latter have the pace to stretch things and run at a tired defence.
Mcgoldrick just was not at it.
Hold the front page! on 22:33 - Feb 18 with 3110 viewsPJH

Hold the front page! on 22:31 - Feb 18 by Darth_Koont

We very nearly achieved a 2-0 ...

Would have flattered us clearly but nevertheless it was close enough to touch.

Yes when Knudsen was heading for their area I had visions of him doing what another number 3-Neil Thompson-did to clinch a 2-0 there back in 1992.
hmmm on 22:34 - Feb 18 with 3105 viewsDarth_Koont

hmmm on 22:28 - Feb 18 by gt81

If you brought Carayol and Celina on for Gleeson and Garner, how would you have addressed our 3 CBs and 2 wingbacks left on the pitch not to mention the gaping hole you've now got in central midfield? Which was the only area we were actually losing.

Hold the front page! on 22:36 - Feb 18 with 3088 viewsgt81

Hold the front page! on 22:28 - Feb 18 by stantheman

So when Knudsen tried to get us 2-0 up towards the end he is castigated for not shutting up shop by taking it into the corner. Jesus the comments on here are just schoolboy stuff sometimes. To say that Celina is a midfield powerhouse is just laughable. The worst decision was bringing on McGoldrick who seems to do no wrong in some fans eyes.

Now you're making stuff up. Where did I say Celina was a "midfield powerhouse?"

And no, Knudsen wouldn't have been castigated for taking the ball in the corner to shut up shop if it had been done effectively. He's being castigated not for his choice of attacking or shutting up shop but that he wasted the ball at a crucial point in the match.
hmmm on 22:41 - Feb 18 with 3056 viewsgt81

hmmm on 22:34 - Feb 18 by Darth_Koont

If you brought Carayol and Celina on for Gleeson and Garner, how would you have addressed our 3 CBs and 2 wingbacks left on the pitch not to mention the gaping hole you've now got in central midfield? Which was the only area we were actually losing.

5-4-1, Skuse and Connelly in the middle, two C's out wide and Waghorn up top, play around City's centre.
hmmm on 22:44 - Feb 18 with 3041 viewsDarth_Koont

hmmm on 22:41 - Feb 18 by gt81

5-4-1, Skuse and Connelly in the middle, two C's out wide and Waghorn up top, play around City's centre.

So go from a 352 to a 541 ... bit negative.

And I don't think we can just leave the central midfield to them. If they were having joy down the flanks you'd have a point with your subs - but they weren't until right at the end when Iorfa started to tire.

hmmm on 22:53 - Feb 18 with 3002 viewsgt81

hmmm on 22:44 - Feb 18 by Darth_Koont

And I don't think we can just leave the central midfield to them. If they were having joy down the flanks you'd have a point with your subs - but they weren't until right at the end when Iorfa started to tire.

Not if the wing backs had continued to get forward. Spence for Iorfa was the least contentious of the subs, hence the booing at that one seeming odd.

I wouldn't say we would necessarily have been leaving the centre to them, just making the most of where we were strong first half - on the flanks - to maybe take the game more to them. I noticed when McGoldrick came on he seemed to be playing a wide rather than central role, and I believe Ward was also another option on the bench that could have been a more interesting choice.
hmmm on 23:12 - Feb 18 with 2945 viewsStNeotsBlue

hmmm on 22:44 - Feb 18 by Darth_Koont

At no point were we playing a 3-5-2 formation. It was 5 at the back with three holding midfielders, the most disappointing substitution for me was the 2nd which was baffling and left us with no options.
on 23:14 - Feb 18 with 2933 views_

hmmm on 23:12 - Feb 18 by StNeotsBlue

At no point were we playing a 3-5-2 formation. It was 5 at the back with three holding midfielders, the most disappointing substitution for me was the 2nd which was baffling and left us with no options.

hmmm on 23:19 - Feb 18 with 2911 viewsStNeotsBlue

on 23:14 - Feb 18 by _

Iorfa had moments going forward but to suggest he was an attacking force seems generous at best.
I thought he did ok generally .
on 23:26 - Feb 18 with 2887 views_

hmmm on 23:19 - Feb 18 by StNeotsBlue

Iorfa had moments going forward but to suggest he was an attacking force seems generous at best.
I thought he did ok generally .

hmmm on 23:27 - Feb 18 with 2878 viewsDarth_Koont

hmmm on 23:12 - Feb 18 by StNeotsBlue

That's just not true.

hmmm on 23:30 - Feb 18 with 2869 viewsStNeotsBlue

on 23:26 - Feb 18 by _

I'd agree McG didn't have the best game for us, clutching at straws he did put Knudsen through for that chance at the end.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024