Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I’m going to say this …. 08:48 - Nov 3 with 1728 viewsArnieM

My comments are relative to the division we are currently in .

BUT

Watching how we played this about on the park last night ( when we really started to motor), and how we did the same against Pompey, this team is starting to “resemble” that great side we had under Sir Bobby Robson. By that I mean, the “way” we play. Pass and move, one touch passing, playing in little triangles out from the back, and goals coming from all over the pitch. There is SO much quality in this squad it is frankly embarrassing for it to be in a squad in division three and it is only now starting to really bind and gel together.

We really are now watching the birth of something VERY special at Ipswich Town again. I never thought I’d see this again in my lifetime, and I am having to pinch myself.

The Blue Phoenix really is starting to rise from the ashes of administration all those years ago.

It’s BRILLIANT to be a Town fan again, and do you know what , I’m SO pleased the younger generation of Town fans, ( anyone under 40), are finally going to see first hand, the style of football team I witnessed all those years ago.

But Let me clear here. This Paul Cook side RESEMBLES the side under SBR, you are starting to see what we had in the 1980’s ……. Enjoy it and get behind this team like you’ve never done before.
Town fans are a special breed, we’ve had to put up with so much crap for so long, but the Blue Army appears to be gathering pace once again .

COYB’s 💙🥳👍

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

I’m going to say this …. on 09:24 - Nov 3 with 1566 viewspennblue

Couldn't agree more Arnie. My 17 year old came to the match last night, he had previously witnessed first hand the 7-1 defeats at Peterborough and 7-0 defeat at Chelsea.

So please he witnessed last night, finally seeing why we love being football supporters so much.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

I’m going to say this …. on 09:28 - Nov 3 with 1516 viewsStrimmer

Love to hear it, not being of an age to really know that era. Even more, very much appreciate and enjoy the clarity and emphasis with which you define your terms haha.

Poll: Was it a punch?

I’m going to say this …. on 09:29 - Nov 3 with 1510 viewslegoman

Well said, the 1970's were great under Sir Bob as well. As I keep explaining to @Herbivore we are building back to something resembling those great days albeit at a lower level at the mo but I fully expect us to eclipse those days in terms of club infrastructure. Keep it going Cooky, squad and owners, onwards and upwards.

Poll: Sheepshanks 5 years -v- Evans 5 points

I’m going to say this …. on 09:32 - Nov 3 with 1461 viewsbluefunk

To add to this, my son, who is 27 said to me a couple of years ago, “ why did you make me support this crap, thanks Dad” last night said, “at last I get to enjoy being aTown fan”.

If there is anyone still in “well we only beat the teams at the bottom”, “yes but last season” or “look at the league table” mode, the it’s time to start enjoying what we are building and make no mistake, the fans positive and magnificent support is making a significant contribution
I’m going to say this …. on 09:41 - Nov 3 with 1376 viewsclive_baker

We have the potential to murder teams at this level, as we did to Pompey and Doncaster, and for periods last night (maybe we should only play on Tuesday nights?). On balance the form under Cook has been questionable but there’s no doubt on our day we have far, far more quality than we’ve seen for a long time. We never put 4 or 6 past teams under Lambert, that was completely unthinkable

There’s always going to be aspects where we can improve, I think defensively we can. There’s an element of being more susceptible because we’re so attacking, and I respect that to some extent but we need to be street wise too. The points we threw away at Cambridge for example, top sides see that out and take all 3. Yesterday was a bit frantic at 3-1, at a time where we should’ve been able to take the sting out for f the game we’re giving away cheap free kicks on the edge of our box and slicing relatively routine clearances that led to a goal mouth scramble. We’ve seen enough of Toto to know what we’re going to get, and we have to take the rough with the smooth at this level, but it’s frustrating at times that we seem to lack that ‘game management’. Evans was guilty of it too, and Harper off the bench didn’t use the ball very well. It’ll happen, that’s why these guys are in L1 but I still think we can work to make it happen less and get a bit smarter when we get our noses in front.

Definitely going in the right direction though, exciting to watch and have plenty of goals in the side. It’s rare that we’re bored watching Town nowadays, not like it has been in recent seasons, painfully passing the ball between McGuinness and Woolfenden.

Some big games coming up, hopefully we can find ourselves in the top 6 before too long.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I’m going to say this …. on 10:09 - Nov 3 with 1269 viewsBlueandTruesince82

There are so many green shoots. It takes time to build, sure sometimes lighting strikes and it all comes together but not often.

What I see is a team, that looks more together after 3 months than the last lot did with a spine that had even together years

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

I’m going to say this …. on 10:12 - Nov 3 with 1254 viewstractorboy1978

I’m going to say this …. on 09:41 - Nov 3 by clive_baker

We have the potential to murder teams at this level, as we did to Pompey and Doncaster, and for periods last night (maybe we should only play on Tuesday nights?). On balance the form under Cook has been questionable but there’s no doubt on our day we have far, far more quality than we’ve seen for a long time. We never put 4 or 6 past teams under Lambert, that was completely unthinkable

There’s always going to be aspects where we can improve, I think defensively we can. There’s an element of being more susceptible because we’re so attacking, and I respect that to some extent but we need to be street wise too. The points we threw away at Cambridge for example, top sides see that out and take all 3. Yesterday was a bit frantic at 3-1, at a time where we should’ve been able to take the sting out for f the game we’re giving away cheap free kicks on the edge of our box and slicing relatively routine clearances that led to a goal mouth scramble. We’ve seen enough of Toto to know what we’re going to get, and we have to take the rough with the smooth at this level, but it’s frustrating at times that we seem to lack that ‘game management’. Evans was guilty of it too, and Harper off the bench didn’t use the ball very well. It’ll happen, that’s why these guys are in L1 but I still think we can work to make it happen less and get a bit smarter when we get our noses in front.

Definitely going in the right direction though, exciting to watch and have plenty of goals in the side. It’s rare that we’re bored watching Town nowadays, not like it has been in recent seasons, painfully passing the ball between McGuinness and Woolfenden.

Some big games coming up, hopefully we can find ourselves in the top 6 before too long.

Us scoring loads of a goals is a given (how refreshing is that after last season!). Our season hinges on being able to defend properly, consistently. If we can keep a clean sheet or more often than not only concede once, we will win most games we play between now and the end of the season.
I’m going to say this …. on 10:15 - Nov 3 with 1229 viewsdirtyboy

It's ultimately all down to the results come the end of the season, but football is an entertainment business and on that front, we're approaching everything right.

Edwards, Burns, Celina, Chaplin and Bonne all get bums off seats when they have the ball and you feel like something could happen.

KVY was exciting to see last night too, there's nothing, nothing better than seeing a players take on their opponent.

Morsy is also underrated on that front too, a few times he's really driven forward and is very good with the ball as much as he does all that nasty stuff too.

I'm loving it, if not the consistency of results, the passages of play and types of player we have are a joy to watch.

How did that goalmouth mele not result in a goal too? Sometimes you need a bit of luck and that with Nsiala's obvious foul before the goal...I'll take that...it's our turn.
Login to get fewer ads

I’m going to say this …. on 10:18 - Nov 3 with 1211 viewsSteve_M

I’m going to say this …. on 09:41 - Nov 3 by clive_baker

TBF, Lambert's teams at their best did score freely - Tranmere, Accrington, Burton in 19-20. Which makes the bad spells that season even more frustrating.

Totally agree on game management, had Wycombe got it back to 3-2 it might not have been such a memorable evening. We need to get better at that, some of which will come with the confidence of winning but we've dropped so many bad points away from home because of it already.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I’m going to say this …. on 18:18 - Nov 3 with 981 viewsbicesterblue4

Last night was just pure joy, even better than Portsmouth.

I particularly agree that it is great for the younger fans to have some decent football to watch and a feelgood factor to enjoy. It is a credit to them that there are so many given the last decade or more they have had to endure.

Performance aside, moments like the Edmundson reaction to the Walton save are an indication of how committed this squad look now, just so encouraging.
I’m going to say this …. on 18:26 - Nov 3 with 953 viewsmylittletown

I think that if you want to make a comparison, it looks more like the Burley team of the late 90s.

SBRs teams at ITFC were built on a rock solid top class back 4, and there was lot more long ball than we care to remember, especially in the first great SBR side in the mid 70s.
I’m going to say this …. on 18:50 - Nov 3 with 864 viewsclive_baker

I’m going to say this …. on 10:18 - Nov 3 by Steve_M

TBF, Lambert's teams at their best did score freely - Tranmere, Accrington, Burton in 19-20. Which makes the bad spells that season even more frustrating.

Totally agree on game management, had Wycombe got it back to 3-2 it might not have been such a memorable evening. We need to get better at that, some of which will come with the confidence of winning but we've dropped so many bad points away from home because of it already.

Fair point re. Lambert in the first few months of 19/20, guess it just feels like so long ago! We scored 4 against Blackpool last season too, but I wouldn’t say we were that convincing. Routinely we were so uninventive, pedestrian, predictable, devoid of ideas and lacking in creativity. Some of those games last year were so painful to watch, perhaps in part due to it being through iFollow but the football was just so bland. We averaged less than a goal a game for the rest of Lambert’s tenure after that Blackpool result, across the best part of 30 games. What a slog that was wasn’t it?

Right now we just feel like we’re going to score every time we go forward.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I’m going to say this …. on 19:53 - Nov 3 with 712 viewsChurchman

Great post. The thing is, for the likes of myself who witnessed the Robson period and those a little older who saw Alf’s achievements, the last 19 years wretched decline has been heartbreaking. However, at least we managed to witness the good times.

For the younger generations, it’s been pretty thin pickings. That we have such good support after the past two decades is remarkable. It also shows the potential. I really hope the owners are serious, and I think they are, because while we will never see Alf/Bobby achievement levels, we might get close to Burley 2000/2001.

What I hope the younger supporters see as much as anything is a club growing. Getting stronger. No more being happy with Clegg securing a tin of paint for the turnstiles. No more acceptance of a ground decaying before our eyes and managers scrambling under the barrel for bargain punt players.

It’s been so nice not to hear of ‘cash strapped Ipswich’ but to hear of what we should be achieving with the squad we have. The dull acceptance of year on year decline has been replaced by disappointment and challenge if we fail to win. It sounds odd, but I quite like that. It means that standards really are higher and mediocrity no longer acceptable.

I get that I am over egging this on the back of last nights tremendous win. But I really don’t care. It felt like a breakthrough to me in the players now know what they can do to a decent side. Wycombe weren’t at the bottom or on a poor run. They were second, unbeaten for ages at home and promptly taken to the cleaners. Things are on the up.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024