Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. 17:14 - Jan 31 with 3055 viewsSitfcB

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:16 - Jan 31 with 2937 viewsGlasgowBlue

Balls!

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:20 - Jan 31 with 2814 viewsberkstractorboy

We didn't have a good enough squad until this point as shown by our league position and we aren't adding to it instead letting loads go whilst those around us in higher league positions are strengthening the squad. It's not really all adding up as a club serious on wanting promotion.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2022 17:25]
Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:21 - Jan 31 with 2753 viewsWeirdFishes

A really poor window IMO going into the 2nd half of the season, after Fraser has left if anything we’re weaker, certainly we haven’t strengthened like others appeared to have.

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:22 - Jan 31 with 2748 viewsclive_baker

I'm cool with that. Squad was bloated, we've moved on a lot of deadwood. Realistically the next 10 games will tell us if we're going to have a shot of the playoffs, we probably need 7 wins which would put us on the coattails. If it's not to be, then clear the decks and let KM put his stamp on us for next season. We don't need 11th hour deadline day signings right now, as fun as they are.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:22 - Jan 31 with 2724 viewsKeno

Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:20 - Jan 31 by berkstractorboy

We didn't have a good enough squad until this point as shown by our league position and we aren't adding to it instead letting loads go whilst those around us in higher league positions are strengthening the squad. It's not really all adding up as a club serious on wanting promotion.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2022 17:25]

I dint think the problem is the squad per se, as evidenced by 4 wins in 6

the has been that for first 20 odd games it wasn't coached properly

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:24 - Jan 31 with 2637 viewstractorboy1978

Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:21 - Jan 31 by WeirdFishes

A really poor window IMO going into the 2nd half of the season, after Fraser has left if anything we’re weaker, certainly we haven’t strengthened like others appeared to have.

How can we be weaker for Fraser going? He's barely played in the last 2 months. We have plenty to work with - we've not seen the best from a few yet. Edwards, Harper, El Miz, Pigott. It's a decent squad.
Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:25 - Jan 31 with 2610 viewsHighgateBlue

Disappointed about Matete, but in McKenna we trust...
Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:29 - Jan 31 with 2475 viewsIllinoisblue

Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:21 - Jan 31 by WeirdFishes

Yeah, signing Walton was such a downer

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:29 - Jan 31 with 2457 viewsitfcsuth

Have no problems with this.

The squad a little unbalanced and oversized - it needed reshuffling and will need to do so again in the summer.

Can’t argue with Matete to Sunderland - likely a replacement for Dan Neill in the summer.
Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:29 - Jan 31 with 2447 viewsmarkchips

Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:25 - Jan 31 by HighgateBlue

Disappointed about Matete, but in McKenna we trust...

I am disappointed too but if harper is going on loan later it will leave the schoolteacher with a straight 22 players to work with and younger players like Humphreys to step into training with injuries and suspensions. Perhaps he feels a tighter group is needed . FFP may also come into play.
Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:31 - Jan 31 with 2373 viewsjas0999

Would be disappointing. Decision to let Fraser go appears even more odd now. We are looking weaker as a squad after this window.
Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:32 - Jan 31 with 2348 viewsberkstractorboy

Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:22 - Jan 31 by Keno

Agreed on the coaching, we really let the season slide too long with the blind faith cook would turn it around. Still 2 very winnable away games in the last few weeks and we have been limp and beaten. When it clicks we are very good but thats about 1 in 8 games which isn't enough for play-offs let alone promotion.

I want to believe in the project, but even if we build now for next season we could still be without Bonne and Celina and will Morsy and Chaplin really want to hang around.

Just don't think today has been a good day for the club IMO but others will think differently and we have to trust KM
Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:36 - Jan 31 with 2236 viewsRobTheMonk

Trimmed some deadwood and players not right for the system. I guess we get a good chunk of the season for Mckenna to work out who he wants going forward.
Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:38 - Jan 31 with 2150 views66notout

Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:22 - Jan 31 by Keno

Four wins from six is not a snapshot of the season unfortunately. If we were showing a similar record over the entire campaign we'd be nailed on for the title, never mind the play-offs. Slow start has cost us but so has the fact that we're simply not good enough yet. Pity we've missed out on the League One Kante.
Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:41 - Jan 31 with 2094 viewsWeirdFishes

Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:29 - Jan 31 by Illinoisblue

Yeah, signing Walton was such a downer

Walton is a fantastic signing, for me he’s better then Bart was. I more meant our squad going into the 2nd half of the season IMO hasn’t got stronger, Walton was already here.

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:41 - Jan 31 with 2076 viewsChurchman

Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:31 - Jan 31 by jas0999

Would be disappointing. Decision to let Fraser go appears even more odd now. We are looking weaker as a squad after this window.

In what way are we weaker other than in pure numbers? Had somebody come in and nabbed our first team goalie, centre half and Bonne recalled, I might have agreed with you. Releasing or loaning players surplus to current requirements is fine by me.

Scott Fraser might turn out to be a brilliant signing for Charlton. Good for him and them, but he was out of favour here, had contributed nothing and we got his fee back.
Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:43 - Jan 31 with 2047 viewsDavoIPB

No big loss. Just need to get consistency from our current players. Got plenty here. Better to have a trim squad with decent players than bloated one with average players on the fringe
Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:45 - Jan 31 with 2004 viewsIllinoisblue

Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:41 - Jan 31 by WeirdFishes

Walton is a fantastic signing, for me he’s better then Bart was. I more meant our squad going into the 2nd half of the season IMO hasn’t got stronger, Walton was already here.

We’ve cleaned out the deadwood and injured, so that’s a win for me. Although I do share concerns about our lack of creativity. And Bonne’s recent struggles.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:53 - Jan 31 with 1855 viewsArnieM

On the contrary , I’d suggest we have cleared the decks NOW in preparation for a quicker recruitment over the summer. When McKenna will do his building and fine tuning of the squad. We had no room for movement due to the number of players in the squad / club that aren’t playing or likely to play but taking up wages and spaces in the 25man squad.

People really do need to get play offs out of their heads for this season. It was always a tall order given the level of overhaul at club. It was unrealistic.

Next season we go for it…

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:58 - Jan 31 with 1763 viewsjayessess

Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:53 - Jan 31 by ArnieM

On the contrary , I’d suggest we have cleared the decks NOW in preparation for a quicker recruitment over the summer. When McKenna will do his building and fine tuning of the squad. We had no room for movement due to the number of players in the squad / club that aren’t playing or likely to play but taking up wages and spaces in the 25man squad.

People really do need to get play offs out of their heads for this season. It was always a tall order given the level of overhaul at club. It was unrealistic.

Next season we go for it…

January window is terrible value and we'd be spending on an outside chance of making it to a 1 in 4 lottery. Far better to let the current squad ride and spend what needs spending in the Summer.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 18:13 - Jan 31 with 1561 viewsChurchman

If this chap really is going to Sunderland, who is doing the signing? They’ve just fired Johnson, haven’t they? What if the new bloke doesn’t like the look of him?

I was just musing on how great the outrage would be on here if MA had done that without a new manager in place and more widely, how football clubs work these days.
Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 18:17 - Jan 31 with 1503 viewsN2_Blue

Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:22 - Jan 31 by clive_baker

I'm cool with that. Squad was bloated, we've moved on a lot of deadwood. Realistically the next 10 games will tell us if we're going to have a shot of the playoffs, we probably need 7 wins which would put us on the coattails. If it's not to be, then clear the decks and let KM put his stamp on us for next season. We don't need 11th hour deadline day signings right now, as fun as they are.

Glad someone sees it my way.

We've not lost anyone that had an impact on the first team and we've added a little bit more cover (even if the jury is out on tthose players yet.

This window was absolutely fine, we;ve got rid of deadwood to reduce a bloated squad that hopefully will become more close knit.

Hopefully its freed up a little bit of wage budget for Mckenna to be able to have a bit of time to see what he really needs and add where necessary in the summer.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 18:20 - Jan 31 with 1435 viewscatch74

Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 18:17 - Jan 31 by N2_Blue

Glad someone sees it my way.

We've not lost anyone that had an impact on the first team and we've added a little bit more cover (even if the jury is out on tthose players yet.

This window was absolutely fine, we;ve got rid of deadwood to reduce a bloated squad that hopefully will become more close knit.

Hopefully its freed up a little bit of wage budget for Mckenna to be able to have a bit of time to see what he really needs and add where necessary in the summer.

It’s hopefully a sign that KM feels he can improve the team through coaching and management.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 18:24 - Jan 31 with 1388 viewsitfcsuth

Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 17:22 - Jan 31 by clive_baker

Good post.

KM has had a January window, and 6 games. He’s not going to be able to do too much in that time.

I don’t even think we will need to clear the decks come the summer. We have a core group of good players here, really good L1 players; Walton, Burns, Donacien, Woolfenden, Edmundson, Morsy, Evans, Chaplin.

Celina, Bonne, Carroll, Norwood & possibly Pigott won’t be here next year I believe.

We will need to make 6-7 really good signings to balance and have real strength in depth in the summer, and it will allow KM to put his stamp on the squad.
Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 18:26 - Jan 31 with 1362 viewsN2_Blue

Matete to Sunderland. No more incomings for us. on 18:20 - Jan 31 by catch74

It’s hopefully a sign that KM feels he can improve the team through coaching and management.

Indeed.

If McKenna had really wanted someone I think the club would have done what they could to bring them in. We did all our business pretty quickly which tends to suggest we brought in what we wanted and didn't need to panic at the 11th hour.

Personally I'm sure McKenna is happy and will think he has plenty to work with. There are some very good players here that probably were not particularly well utilized under the previous manager that McKenna clearly feels he can get a tune out of.

ANd having Walton sign permeanently made my window. That was a big signing as

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024