Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd 12:02 - Jul 23 with 1096 viewsIllinoisblue

Programme from 1949. Wonder how many of those Sudbury businesses are still around.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd on 13:09 - Jul 23 with 1004 viewsgtsb1966

None unfortunately
Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd on 14:25 - Jul 23 with 949 viewsIllinoisblue

Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd on 13:09 - Jul 23 by gtsb1966

None unfortunately

Lived in Great Cornard as a kid for a few years, which I remember vividly. We used to go into Sudbury on Saturdays but I have no recollection of it. Will have to visit next time I’m back.

62 - 78 - 81

Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd on 15:14 - Jul 23 with 891 viewsgtsb1966

Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd on 14:25 - Jul 23 by Illinoisblue

Lived in Great Cornard as a kid for a few years, which I remember vividly. We used to go into Sudbury on Saturdays but I have no recollection of it. Will have to visit next time I’m back.

You wouldn't recognise it now. Loads of new houses and new school.
Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd on 15:24 - Jul 23 with 872 viewsIllinoisblue

Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd on 15:14 - Jul 23 by gtsb1966

You wouldn't recognise it now. Loads of new houses and new school.

Lived above the shops on Poplar Road. Guessing that looks very different now!

62 - 78 - 81

Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd on 15:30 - Jul 23 with 862 viewsgtsb1966

Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd on 15:24 - Jul 23 by Illinoisblue

Lived above the shops on Poplar Road. Guessing that looks very different now!

Knocked down and rebuilt. Surrounding area is still the same but loads of new houses where the rugby club was and loads more from Sheepshead hill southwards.
Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd on 17:53 - Jul 23 with 800 viewsIllinoisblue

Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd on 15:30 - Jul 23 by gtsb1966

Knocked down and rebuilt. Surrounding area is still the same but loads of new houses where the rugby club was and loads more from Sheepshead hill southwards.

Probably due an improvement to that area. My main memory from playing on the fields across from the shops was every summer we’d have a 6pm game of footy every night. And the playground was littered with used bags of glue that the skinheads and punks used to sniff. Sort of thing if it happened now there’d be outrage in the papers and social media. Different times!

62 - 78 - 81

Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd on 18:11 - Jul 23 with 772 viewsgtsb1966

Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd on 17:53 - Jul 23 by Illinoisblue

Probably due an improvement to that area. My main memory from playing on the fields across from the shops was every summer we’d have a 6pm game of footy every night. And the playground was littered with used bags of glue that the skinheads and punks used to sniff. Sort of thing if it happened now there’d be outrage in the papers and social media. Different times!

If you are going back to the beginning of the 80's I probably know a good few of them. I was a Sudbury boy though and didn't hang around there.
Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd on 19:32 - Jul 23 with 713 viewsIllinoisblue

Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd on 18:11 - Jul 23 by gtsb1966

If you are going back to the beginning of the 80's I probably know a good few of them. I was a Sudbury boy though and didn't hang around there.

We were there from 1977 until 1981. Must get back next time I’m over. Be nice to reminisce and walk the streets where we used to play.

62 - 78 - 81

Login to get fewer ads

Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd on 19:44 - Jul 23 with 701 viewsEdwardStone

I lived in a small village near Sudbury from 1962 onwards, so I regconise a few of those business names

Bailey and Goates were at the very end of Cross St, just before Ballingdon Bridge, opposite the Domestic Appliance shop. I think they did some work on our house at some stage.

Co op Corner is now the 'Spoons towards the top of North St, but we generally shopped in Fine Fare a bit further down the road

Boardman and Oliver used to do livestock and furniture auctions in Burkitts Lane until the late 1980s ( ? )

Butterworths were one of the 2 outfitters I remember, but I was always sent to Mattinglys just next to HSBC Bank at the bottom of Market Hill.

I remember the name Cutworths.... but I don't remember the shop

TWTD
Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd on 20:27 - Jul 23 with 664 viewsgtsb1966

Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd on 19:44 - Jul 23 by EdwardStone

I lived in a small village near Sudbury from 1962 onwards, so I regconise a few of those business names

Bailey and Goates were at the very end of Cross St, just before Ballingdon Bridge, opposite the Domestic Appliance shop. I think they did some work on our house at some stage.

Co op Corner is now the 'Spoons towards the top of North St, but we generally shopped in Fine Fare a bit further down the road

Boardman and Oliver used to do livestock and furniture auctions in Burkitts Lane until the late 1980s ( ? )

Butterworths were one of the 2 outfitters I remember, but I was always sent to Mattinglys just next to HSBC Bank at the bottom of Market Hill.

TWTD

I thought B&G were actually where Domestic Appliances shop is now. The shop wasn't there then but the yard, now domestic appliances carpark, was and was their yard.
Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd on 20:43 - Jul 23 with 654 viewsNthQldITFC

Cor!* They were ahead of their time. If you look on the front page, just under the four digit telephone number, you can see what must have been a very early twitter handle for Sudbury Town!

* 'Cor!' was, I believe, a contemporary interjection expressing surprise, according to a Tommy Cockles documentary I saw once. There are probably other similar words of that era, but I would have to defer to some of our more senior members on here for those.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd on 20:44 - Jul 23 with 651 viewsEdwardStone

Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd on 20:27 - Jul 23 by gtsb1966

I thought B&G were actually where Domestic Appliances shop is now. The shop wasn't there then but the yard, now domestic appliances carpark, was and was their yard.

Yes... you are right.

Domestic Appliances moved, they were originally on the other side of the road.

Their new place is the old B+G
Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd on 20:49 - Jul 23 with 646 viewsgtsb1966

Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd on 19:44 - Jul 23 by EdwardStone

TWTD

I was at the opening of the co op as a small boy. It was opened by Huey Green. I'm guessing at about 1971 as I was a very small boy then and thought the crowd was massive.
Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd on 20:55 - Jul 23 with 637 viewsgtsb1966

TWTD

Cutmores was a newsagents in North Street where WH Smiths is now. My nan worked in there. They had a wooden porch over the door which eventually was relocated over my nan and grandads front door in Woodhall Road.
Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd on 21:13 - Jul 23 with 616 viewsEdwardStone

Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd on 20:55 - Jul 23 by gtsb1966

Cutmores was a newsagents in North Street where WH Smiths is now. My nan worked in there. They had a wooden porch over the door which eventually was relocated over my nan and grandads front door in Woodhall Road.

I thought that WH Smiths was in the furniture bit of Alstons... not the fascinating branch with the airfix kits and Brittans farm toys

I was looking at all the shops on Market Hill a few weeks ago and struggling to remember what shops were where.

All it needed was someone to take a few photos every year to help my poor leaky memory
Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd on 21:21 - Jul 23 with 610 viewsgtsb1966

Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd on 21:13 - Jul 23 by EdwardStone

I thought that WH Smiths was in the furniture bit of Alstons... not the fascinating branch with the airfix kits and Brittans farm toys

I was looking at all the shops on Market Hill a few weeks ago and struggling to remember what shops were where.

All it needed was someone to take a few photos every year to help my poor leaky memory

You've probably seen this but click on the drop down. Fascinating stuff if you come from Sudbury. https://photoarchive.sudburyheritagecentre.co.uk/
Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd on 21:34 - Jul 23 with 585 viewsEdwardStone

Interesting for fans of Sudbury and Whitton Utd on 21:21 - Jul 23 by gtsb1966

You've probably seen this but click on the drop down. Fascinating stuff if you come from Sudbury. https://photoarchive.sudburyheritagecentre.co.uk/

Wow.... thanks for that....

I shall look at it when I have my coffee tomorrow morning
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024