Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sports presenters 19:27 - Feb 24 with 1554 viewsCoastalblue

and commentators of course. In the week we've lost Dickie Davis and John Motson, who have been your favourites over the years?

Personally I always liked Des Lynam, always felt he had a nice relaxed understated approach to stuff. Ron Pickering another, and more of the old school TMS team than I can mention.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Sports presenters on 19:34 - Feb 24 with 1520 viewsChurchman

Nobody can ever top Peter Jones of Radio 2 (when the football was on there). He was football commentary.

After him and re TV David Coleman. Really liked Brian Moore too back in the day when he was virtually shouting down the microphone. My brother in law knew him reasonably well as 5hey attended the same church. I’m told he was a lovely bloke.

Lynham was good and so was Pickering. Motorsport - Murray Walker. Cricket - there was only ever one Richie Benaud. As for TMS - legends all.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2023 20:10]
Sports presenters on 19:38 - Feb 24 with 1506 viewsIllinoisblue

Sports presenters on 19:34 - Feb 24 by Churchman

Nobody can ever top Peter Jones of Radio 2 (when the football was on there). He was football commentary.

After him and re TV David Coleman. Really liked Brian Moore too back in the day when he was virtually shouting down the microphone. My brother in law knew him reasonably well as 5hey attended the same church. I’m told he was a lovely bloke.

Lynham was good and so was Pickering. Motorsport - Murray Walker. Cricket - there was only ever one Richie Benaud. As for TMS - legends all.

Peter Jones was great, a very special voice. This was perhaps one of of his best moments albeit in tragic circumstances. Sure I read somewhere he was never the same after witnessing Hillsborough.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Sports presenters on 19:42 - Feb 24 with 1490 viewsfarkenhell

Sports presenters on 19:34 - Feb 24 by Churchman

Plus 1 for Peter Jones. Although probably had something to do with listening to those midweek commentaries on Ipswich's European matches during my childhood. Brilliant theme tune as well.
Sports presenters on 19:54 - Feb 24 with 1472 viewsITFC_Forever

In no particular order, the ones I grew up listening to and watching that were part of the soundtrack of my childhood / teens / young adulthood:
Des Lynam
John Motson
Dickie Davies
Bob Wilson
Dave Lanning (speedway & darts)
Peter Alliss (golf)
Dan Maskell (tennis)
Peter O’ Sullevan (racing)
Kent Walton (wrestling)
Murray Walker (F1)
Stuart Hall (didn’t end well)
Ron Pickering (athletics - used to love We Are The Champions!)

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Sports presenters on 20:23 - Feb 24 with 1375 viewsPendejo

Sports presenters on 19:42 - Feb 24 by farkenhell

Plus 1 for Peter Jones. Although probably had something to do with listening to those midweek commentaries on Ipswich's European matches during my childhood. Brilliant theme tune as well.

He and Bryon Butler were on duty for BBC Radio one marvellous May Saturday afternoon in 78.

But then there's Knights, Barraclough and Slater

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Sports presenters on 20:37 - Feb 24 with 1350 viewsfarkenhell

Sports presenters on 20:23 - Feb 24 by Pendejo

He and Bryon Butler were on duty for BBC Radio one marvellous May Saturday afternoon in 78.

But then there's Knights, Barraclough and Slater

I had that LP as a 10 year old. I'm now in my fifties, the vinyl has long gone and I haven't listened to it for at least 40 years. However:

"... and this time he finds David Geddis. He's got Sammie Nelson in front of him, he's gone past Nelson, he lays it square, Willie Young's there, Osborne's there, IT'S THERE! ROGER OSBORNE HAS DONE IT FOR IPSWICH TOWN and they have scored 1-0..."

I want that on my epitaph!
Sports presenters on 20:40 - Feb 24 with 1340 viewsSwansea_Blue

It’s got to be Le Tissier hasn’t it. Very astute bloke and not one of the sheep

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Sports presenters on 20:49 - Feb 24 with 1338 viewsADStephenson

Can't believe we haven't had Barry Davies come up yet. Euro 96 and France 98 - his commentary really was superb for me. I wish we had more like him now.

www.adstephenson.com

Login to get fewer ads

Sports presenters on 20:54 - Feb 24 with 1315 viewsrgp1

Sid Waddell Darts ' double tops to bring the chandeliers down'!
Sports presenters on 21:05 - Feb 24 with 1295 viewsCoastalblue

Another one I missed off, sadly missed

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Sports presenters on 21:08 - Feb 24 with 1288 viewsKeno

John Arlott deserves a mention

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Sports presenters on 21:52 - Feb 24 with 1218 viewsChurchman

Sports presenters on 19:42 - Feb 24 by farkenhell

Yes, us being on a fair amount does help the nostalgia but back in those days I’d listen to him and his colleagues doing any game if I was free. They were so good it felt like being at the game.
Sports presenters on 22:06 - Feb 24 with 1211 viewsLower_North

Sports presenters on 20:49 - Feb 24 by ADStephenson

Can't believe we haven't had Barry Davies come up yet. Euro 96 and France 98 - his commentary really was superb for me. I wish we had more like him now.

Barry Davies was better than Motson in my opinion . Motty was too wooden and boring for me. Liked all the Independant tv commentators on a Sunday as well, Hugh Johns, Gerald Sindstat Gerry Harrison etc
Sports presenters on 23:22 - Feb 24 with 1137 viewsChurchman

Sports presenters on 19:38 - Feb 24 by Illinoisblue

Peter Jones was great, a very special voice. This was perhaps one of of his best moments albeit in tragic circumstances. Sure I read somewhere he was never the same after witnessing Hillsborough.

Just listened to this. The words were almost secondary. His voice told it all. I don’t think reporting gets any better (poor word), more moving than that.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2023 23:23]
Sports presenters on 03:33 - Feb 25 with 1056 viewsPendejo

Sports presenters on 20:37 - Feb 24 by farkenhell

I had that LP as a 10 year old. I'm now in my fifties, the vinyl has long gone and I haven't listened to it for at least 40 years. However:

"... and this time he finds David Geddis. He's got Sammie Nelson in front of him, he's gone past Nelson, he lays it square, Willie Young's there, Osborne's there, IT'S THERE! ROGER OSBORNE HAS DONE IT FOR IPSWICH TOWN and they have scored 1-0..."

I want that on my epitaph!

From memory, so IIRC preceding that was

"Cooper bowls the ball out to Burley, gets it back again, throws it to Woods, (can't cre remember this bit)

I used to have this on a mix tape at 33rpm and 45rpm plus Radio Orwell's version followed by Bowie's "Heroes"

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Sports presenters on 07:47 - Feb 25 with 901 viewsiamatractorboy

Lynam delivered probably my favourite ever line on a sport programme. It was a weekday early afternoon and England were about to play Tunisia in their opening game of France '98. Not the usual introductory piece for Des though, just a raised eyebrow and: "Good afternoon. Shouldn't you be at work?". Brilliant.
Sports presenters on 07:56 - Feb 25 with 879 viewsblueislander

Sports presenters on 21:08 - Feb 24 by Keno

Along with Brian Johnson “ The bowler’s Holding the batsman’s Willey”

Or Dan Maskell “out-volleying the incoming serving volleyer”
Sports presenters on 09:08 - Feb 25 with 817 viewssolemio

Sports presenters on 21:08 - Feb 24 by Keno

Deserves a mention? He was quite simply the greatest, the incomparable. A poet.
Sports presenters on 09:42 - Feb 25 with 780 viewsKeno

Sports presenters on 09:08 - Feb 25 by solemio

Deserves a mention? He was quite simply the greatest, the incomparable. A poet.

I’m not going to disagree with you!!

He was just the most sublime wordsmith with a sense of timing second to none.

I suspect those of use lucky enough to remember him are in a minority now

For instance “ The batsman's technique was like an old lady poking her umbrella at a wasp's nest.”
[Post edited 25 Feb 2023 10:42]

Sports presenters on 10:37 - Feb 25 with 722 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Sports presenters on 09:42 - Feb 25 by Keno

I’m not going to disagree with you!!

He was just the most sublime wordsmith with a sense of timing second to none.

I suspect those of use lucky enough to remember him are in a minority now

For instance “ The batsman's technique was like an old lady poking her umbrella at a wasp's nest.”
[Post edited 25 Feb 2023 10:42]

Arlott was supreme as you say but a word for Richie Benaud if only for this thought on TV commentating:

"The key thing was to learn the value of economy with words and to never insult the viewer by telling them what they can already see."

and this wry comment (of many):

"And Glenn McGrath dismissed for two, just 98 runs short of his century."

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Sports presenters on 10:45 - Feb 25 with 700 viewsKeno

Sports presenters on 10:37 - Feb 25 by You_Bloo_Right

Arlott was supreme as you say but a word for Richie Benaud if only for this thought on TV commentating:

"The key thing was to learn the value of economy with words and to never insult the viewer by telling them what they can already see."

and this wry comment (of many):

"And Glenn McGrath dismissed for two, just 98 runs short of his century."

In his book Warnie tells the story of being stuck in an airport in Pakistan airport during an early tour and being taught how to bowl the flipper by Benaud using oranges bought by Richie off a local fruit stall

Sports presenters on 13:31 - Feb 25 with 632 viewsghostofescobar

Gerry Harrison. Just because it reminds me of watching town on a Sunday afternoon on Match of the Week, when we were playing top flight footy in the 70’s. Then me and my best mate would go out into his garden and spend a couple of hours trying to recreate the Town goals we’d just watched! Happy times.

GhostOfEscobar

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024