Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon 19:46 - May 26 with 3461 viewsLord_Lucan

......since the various talk of The Jam etc over the week.

I saw them on this tour at Hammy Odeon.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 20:21 - May 26 with 2922 viewsBluespeed225

Bingley Hall, Staffs? I didn’t catch them till last but one gig at Wembley Arena. It was all done by then for Weller, crowd were angsty, bit of footy related stuff going on, changing times!
I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 20:53 - May 26 with 2859 viewsCoastalblue

I used to go to Hammy Odeon every 2-3 weeks, saw all sorts of acts I didn't know much about, and then race for the last train home.

Ticket prices must have been a feck sight cheaper back then, can't imagine doing that now.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 20:54 - May 26 with 2858 viewsDaninthecampo

I'm seeing From the Jam in Banelmadena supported by the Wasps on 3rd June,should be a fun night!
I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 21:01 - May 26 with 2842 viewsLord_Lucan

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 20:21 - May 26 by Bluespeed225

Bingley Hall, Staffs? I didn’t catch them till last but one gig at Wembley Arena. It was all done by then for Weller, crowd were angsty, bit of footy related stuff going on, changing times!

Oh. If that’s Bingley Hall then I wasn’t at that tour. I saw them on The Sound Affects Tour and they didn’t play Bingley on that tour.

Thinking about it, I think Weller was more Polka Dot shirt on Sound Affects.

Lonsdale look was later I think.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 21:05 - May 26 with 2833 viewsLord_Lucan

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 20:54 - May 26 by Daninthecampo

I'm seeing From the Jam in Banelmadena supported by the Wasps on 3rd June,should be a fun night!

I wanted to go to that but none of my lot wanted to go

I saw them at Hammy Odeon as well. Stuart Pearce was there.

I was with the lad, great evening. Mother was cat sitting in some posh Chelsea pad and we rocked up. She was petrified we would burn the flat down.
[Post edited 26 May 2023 21:07]

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 21:58 - May 26 with 2751 viewsDJR

I saw the Jam at Leeds University in 1978, Leeds Queen's Hall in 1980 and at one of their final concerts at Wembley Arena.

Here's the first song from their first album which I liked.

[Post edited 26 May 2023 21:59]
I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 22:01 - May 26 with 2733 viewsDJR

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 20:21 - May 26 by Bluespeed225

I seem to remember the argy bargy, so maybe we were at the same gig.
I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 22:41 - May 26 with 2680 viewsLord_Lucan

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 21:58 - May 26 by DJR

I saw the Jam at Leeds University in 1978, Leeds Queen's Hall in 1980 and at one of their final concerts at Wembley Arena.

Here's the first song from their first album which I liked.

[Post edited 26 May 2023 21:59]

In the City isn't a great Jam album for me, although the much criticised Modern World is

For me The Modern World is when they found themselves and then the rest is history.

And I love this.

Login to get fewer ads

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 23:24 - May 26 with 2634 viewsGodzilla

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 23:30 - May 26 with 2625 viewsGodzilla

Much missed.
I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 23:36 - May 26 with 2597 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Another band from Miss Slave's neck of the woods back in the day.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 23:46 - May 26 with 2588 viewsGodzilla

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 23:36 - May 26 by BanksterDebtSlave

Another band from Miss Slave's neck of the woods back in the day.

Hersham girl
I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 23:54 - May 26 with 2579 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 23:46 - May 26 by Godzilla

Hersham girl

Near enough.....Chertsey/Addlestone. Think her sister may have had a thing with Jimmy Pursey's brother.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 09:09 - May 27 with 2413 viewsDJR

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 22:41 - May 26 by Lord_Lucan

In the City isn't a great Jam album for me, although the much criticised Modern World is

For me The Modern World is when they found themselves and then the rest is history.

And I love this.

I agree with what you say about both albums.

The first album probably only has four decent tracks, and appears to represent their transition from a mod band to a punk band, with some of their songs presumably speeded up versions of songs they had written before punk came along.
I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 12:31 - May 27 with 2356 viewsLord_Lucan

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 09:09 - May 27 by DJR

I agree with what you say about both albums.

The first album probably only has four decent tracks, and appears to represent their transition from a mod band to a punk band, with some of their songs presumably speeded up versions of songs they had written before punk came along.

I don't think In The City as an album was that punky but as you say some of the tracks were rather fast. I suppose In the City as a track was released as a single as it was the most punky thing on there along with Art School and Takin my Love. Ironically I think they nicked the track title from a track off a Who album

Should have released Away from the Numbers IMHO - great track.

Also, I would have thought All around the World was recorded by then and could have go on the album rather than Batman.

I think Weller was though influenced by Punk on the album and Steve Brookes had recently left so he wanted to put his own stamp on the band,.

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 19:40 - May 27 with 2270 viewsDJR

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 12:31 - May 27 by Lord_Lucan

I don't think In The City as an album was that punky but as you say some of the tracks were rather fast. I suppose In the City as a track was released as a single as it was the most punky thing on there along with Art School and Takin my Love. Ironically I think they nicked the track title from a track off a Who album

Should have released Away from the Numbers IMHO - great track.

Also, I would have thought All around the World was recorded by then and could have go on the album rather than Batman.

I think Weller was though influenced by Punk on the album and Steve Brookes had recently left so he wanted to put his own stamp on the band,.

Yep, Away from the Numbers is a great track. And the album would have been improved by All around the World, another good track

This shows their more 60s sound in 1975 and 1976. Two of the tracks (I Got By In Time and Taking My Love) made it on to the first album.

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 21:48 - May 27 with 2227 viewsLord_Lucan

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 19:40 - May 27 by DJR

Yep, Away from the Numbers is a great track. And the album would have been improved by All around the World, another good track

This shows their more 60s sound in 1975 and 1976. Two of the tracks (I Got By In Time and Taking My Love) made it on to the first album.

I just listened to Takin my Love from the studio demo and also from In the City.

It's noticeable how more like the 60's feel the demo has whereas the album version is a lot more shouty.

That said, the album version wasn't as raw and punky as I remembered it. However, if they had released most of those songs from the demo I doubt it would have troubled the top 100 such were the changes going on at the time.

A&R men all over the place were running around with the task of finding punk bands to sign - or bands that could be perceived as Punk bands, even The Jam with their 60's suits!

In fact, I remember every new band at the time was lumped into the Punk bracket until the industry thought it was too subversive and relabelled everything as New Wave.

Stranglers, Buzzcocks, Ian Dury etc etc, they weren't punks. Jet Black was around 40 and Ian Dury in his mid 30's when Punk exploded.

NB; 100 Ways is a ridiculously good tune.

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 23:05 - May 27 with 2096 viewsGlasgowBlue

From the Jam

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 23:26 - May 27 with 2075 viewsGodzilla

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 21:48 - May 27 by Lord_Lucan

I just listened to Takin my Love from the studio demo and also from In the City.

It's noticeable how more like the 60's feel the demo has whereas the album version is a lot more shouty.

That said, the album version wasn't as raw and punky as I remembered it. However, if they had released most of those songs from the demo I doubt it would have troubled the top 100 such were the changes going on at the time.

A&R men all over the place were running around with the task of finding punk bands to sign - or bands that could be perceived as Punk bands, even The Jam with their 60's suits!

In fact, I remember every new band at the time was lumped into the Punk bracket until the industry thought it was too subversive and relabelled everything as New Wave.

Stranglers, Buzzcocks, Ian Dury etc etc, they weren't punks. Jet Black was around 40 and Ian Dury in his mid 30's when Punk exploded.

NB; 100 Ways is a ridiculously good tune.

Buzzcocks were and still are a punk band LL, by their own definition.
I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 07:11 - May 28 with 2007 viewsLord_Lucan

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 23:26 - May 27 by Godzilla

Buzzcocks were and still are a punk band LL, by their own definition.

Yo Gods

I can semi agree with The Buzzcocks, a couple of them were involved in getting The Sex Pistols up to the Lesser Free Trade Hall and were amongst a reported 50 or so people who turned up to watch it - incidentally Mick Hucknall, Tony Wilson, Martin Hannett, Ian Curtis, Hooky and Bernard were also in attendance

.....But The Buzzcocks were too musical and harmonious to be really classed aa a punk band IMHO. I've always thought they never really fitted in with the Punk thing but coincided with it (and like many other bands gaining success because of the tidal wave of Punk were happy with that)

I guess in truth they were a power pop band but a chance chat I was fortunate enough to have with Steve Diggle (ironically watching a Sex Pistols cover band) confirmed to me that he is a Mod at heart.

For balance - here are a couple of articles on Diggle, one from a Mod zine and one from a Punk zine

http://www.mistersuave.com/2009/10/mod-day-buzzcocks.html

https://www.punktuationmag.com/buzzcocks-steve-diggle-i-dont-wanna-hear-people-s

Finally, Diggle was a Modcast contributor on occasion, I can't find the one I wanted to you but here is Steve mentioning the Sex Pistols thing and then how the local media woke up in Manchester and realised there was already a local band knocking out some stuff.

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 08:37 - May 28 with 1942 viewsDJR

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 07:11 - May 28 by Lord_Lucan

Yo Gods

I can semi agree with The Buzzcocks, a couple of them were involved in getting The Sex Pistols up to the Lesser Free Trade Hall and were amongst a reported 50 or so people who turned up to watch it - incidentally Mick Hucknall, Tony Wilson, Martin Hannett, Ian Curtis, Hooky and Bernard were also in attendance

.....But The Buzzcocks were too musical and harmonious to be really classed aa a punk band IMHO. I've always thought they never really fitted in with the Punk thing but coincided with it (and like many other bands gaining success because of the tidal wave of Punk were happy with that)

I guess in truth they were a power pop band but a chance chat I was fortunate enough to have with Steve Diggle (ironically watching a Sex Pistols cover band) confirmed to me that he is a Mod at heart.

For balance - here are a couple of articles on Diggle, one from a Mod zine and one from a Punk zine

http://www.mistersuave.com/2009/10/mod-day-buzzcocks.html

https://www.punktuationmag.com/buzzcocks-steve-diggle-i-dont-wanna-hear-people-s

Finally, Diggle was a Modcast contributor on occasion, I can't find the one I wanted to you but here is Steve mentioning the Sex Pistols thing and then how the local media woke up in Manchester and realised there was already a local band knocking out some stuff.

Yes, there were clearly bands regarded at the time as more punk than others, and their musical backgrounds, or no background at all, were all different.

What it did produce, in my opinion, was the best music of all time, with incredible variety in styles, no doubt influenced by their differing backgrounds.

Without the Ramones, it wouldn't have happened and this story by the Ramones' manager Danny Fields about the 1976 Ramones' Roundhouse gig is great.

I remember Johnny Ramone and [Clash bassist] Paul Simenon talking beforehand. Paul said ‘We played our first show last night: no-one wants us because we don’t know what we’re doing, and we’re not good enough’ and Johnny said ‘Wait, you haven’t seen us play. We stink! We can’t play! Just do what we do… just play!’
[Post edited 28 May 2023 8:38]
I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 08:44 - May 28 with 1923 viewsDJR

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 08:37 - May 28 by DJR

Yes, there were clearly bands regarded at the time as more punk than others, and their musical backgrounds, or no background at all, were all different.

What it did produce, in my opinion, was the best music of all time, with incredible variety in styles, no doubt influenced by their differing backgrounds.

Without the Ramones, it wouldn't have happened and this story by the Ramones' manager Danny Fields about the 1976 Ramones' Roundhouse gig is great.

I remember Johnny Ramone and [Clash bassist] Paul Simenon talking beforehand. Paul said ‘We played our first show last night: no-one wants us because we don’t know what we’re doing, and we’re not good enough’ and Johnny said ‘Wait, you haven’t seen us play. We stink! We can’t play! Just do what we do… just play!’

A band which was not regarded as punk by the purists was the Vibrators but I liked them a lot, even though the never had much commercial success.

This track (at 1 minute 44 seconds) is to my mind one of the best songs of that era, but with 6,500 views on You Tube clearly didn't have much impact.

[Post edited 28 May 2023 8:46]
I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 08:57 - May 28 with 1892 viewsLord_Lucan

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 08:37 - May 28 by DJR

And at least they could, or tried to play instruments.

I agree it was a great time to be about, very raw and exciting and some cracking tunes that will live on and on.

The pioneer bands of this generation often mention their musical influation as The Ramones, The Velvets, Iggy, etc etc.

It was also great times because the diversity of youth culture. Punks, Skins, Mods, Teds etc etc. This is all very sadly missed IMHO.

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 11:58 - May 28 with 1819 viewsGodzilla

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 08:44 - May 28 by DJR

A band which was not regarded as punk by the purists was the Vibrators but I liked them a lot, even though the never had much commercial success.

This track (at 1 minute 44 seconds) is to my mind one of the best songs of that era, but with 6,500 views on You Tube clearly didn't have much impact.

[Post edited 28 May 2023 8:46]

That second album is a hidden gem and still one of my favourites to revisit.
I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 12:08 - May 28 with 1813 viewsGodzilla

I've been waiting for today to come in order to post this Friday toon on 08:57 - May 28 by Lord_Lucan

And at least they could, or tried to play instruments.

I agree it was a great time to be about, very raw and exciting and some cracking tunes that will live on and on.

The pioneer bands of this generation often mention their musical influation as The Ramones, The Velvets, Iggy, etc etc.

It was also great times because the diversity of youth culture. Punks, Skins, Mods, Teds etc etc. This is all very sadly missed IMHO.

Musically such a great time to be young for sure. It was possible to go with the flow and embrace each new movement as it came along too, spikey hair to cropped hair to pork pie hat to ahem eye liner. A chance to be part of a group but individual at the same time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024