Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Comment on the Simms signing 18:30 - Jul 8 with 4599 viewsCheltenham_Blue

On the Cov Twitter from a Sunderland fan.

“ i'm not being funny, but if you think you are going to be playing fast free flowing football, and you might, it will all fall apart when it gets to 'carthorse' simms. he's going to suck the life out of your speed merchants, slow doesn't even cover it.”

Not sure if it’s salt or not, guess we’ll find out this season.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Comment on the Simms signing on 18:38 - Jul 8 with 4475 viewsNutkins_Return

It's salt. Sunderland have some terrific support and support but they also have a huge element of numbskulls who go full circle when they don't get someone.

Simms is a terrific signing for them. Gyokeres was class but wasn't that quick. I keep hearing a few saying Simms is slow. It's lazy opinion based on his size. He's quick and powerful. Not the quickest turning circle but that comment is ridiculous nonsense. Good signing. Fair play to cov. Overpaid but in an understandable way given the money they just got and it being a key role.
Comment on the Simms signing on 18:57 - Jul 8 with 4328 viewsJ2BLUE

This modern trend of reporting the opinion of one random fan is quite annoying. We've seen on here how utterly clueless some people can be.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Comment on the Simms signing on 19:01 - Jul 8 with 4316 viewsRegencyBlue

Assuming the reports that we actually put an offer in for Simms are true, which they appear to be, I would suggest he’s more of a player than implied here.

McKenna would have had to rate Simms and so far he’s eye for a player isn’t too bad!
Comment on the Simms signing on 19:02 - Jul 8 with 4277 viewsJ2BLUE

Comment on the Simms signing on 19:01 - Jul 8 by RegencyBlue

Assuming the reports that we actually put an offer in for Simms are true, which they appear to be, I would suggest he’s more of a player than implied here.

McKenna would have had to rate Simms and so far he’s eye for a player isn’t too bad!

Who said we made an offer?

Truly impaired.

Comment on the Simms signing on 19:07 - Jul 8 with 4227 viewsRegencyBlue

Comment on the Simms signing on 19:02 - Jul 8 by J2BLUE

The local press in Liverpool.
Comment on the Simms signing on 19:09 - Jul 8 with 4206 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Comment on the Simms signing on 19:07 - Jul 8 by RegencyBlue

It was in Evertons interests to say we made a bid.

Local press here seemed adamant that no actual bids had been made.
Comment on the Simms signing on 19:14 - Jul 8 with 4144 viewsSitfcB

Comment on the Simms signing on 19:07 - Jul 8 by RegencyBlue

Ah must be 100% true then.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Comment on the Simms signing on 19:33 - Jul 8 with 4014 viewsNutkins_Return

Don't think there is any doubt in that. I think we made several. Probably our first choice striker signing. But we move on. Will never get them all.

Cov are going big with the Gyokeres money. Japan international winger next. Jerry Yates linked.
Login to get fewer ads

Comment on the Simms signing on 19:36 - Jul 8 with 3984 viewsJ2BLUE

Comment on the Simms signing on 19:33 - Jul 8 by Nutkins_Return

Don't think there is any doubt in that. I think we made several. Probably our first choice striker signing. But we move on. Will never get them all.

Cov are going big with the Gyokeres money. Japan international winger next. Jerry Yates linked.

That seems a bit leap and based on nothing.

Truly impaired.

Comment on the Simms signing on 20:11 - Jul 8 with 3728 viewsNutkins_Return

Comment on the Simms signing on 19:36 - Jul 8 by J2BLUE

That seems a bit leap and based on nothing.

Which bit is it that you think is based on nothing?
Comment on the Simms signing on 20:13 - Jul 8 with 3724 viewsWickets

Make no mistake we tried to sign Simms and understandably pull out when the price tag went above our valuation.
Comment on the Simms signing on 20:15 - Jul 8 with 3703 viewsFevsBCFC

Comment on the Simms signing on 18:38 - Jul 8 by Nutkins_Return

It's salt. Sunderland have some terrific support and support but they also have a huge element of numbskulls who go full circle when they don't get someone.

Simms is a terrific signing for them. Gyokeres was class but wasn't that quick. I keep hearing a few saying Simms is slow. It's lazy opinion based on his size. He's quick and powerful. Not the quickest turning circle but that comment is ridiculous nonsense. Good signing. Fair play to cov. Overpaid but in an understandable way given the money they just got and it being a key role.

The story coming out is that it’s £3.5m initial fee, another £1.5m based on apps and goals…and a £3m promotion add-on too. So £8m total possible.

I would’ve thought Everton might have pushed for a bit more.

Glad you agree on his mobility, can only suggest it’s a salty Mackems fan.
Comment on the Simms signing on 20:18 - Jul 8 with 3627 viewsNutkins_Return

Comment on the Simms signing on 20:13 - Jul 8 by Wickets

Make no mistake we tried to sign Simms and understandably pull out when the price tag went above our valuation.

Careful....you'll be told that's based on nothing despite it being widely reported. I think the sums quoted were probably higher though. We'll never know and who cares now. We go for other targets.
Comment on the Simms signing on 20:20 - Jul 8 with 3597 viewsJ2BLUE

Comment on the Simms signing on 20:11 - Jul 8 by Nutkins_Return

Which bit is it that you think is based on nothing?

think we made several. Probably our first choice striker signing.

Based on what? Local media say no bid. I would be amazed if he was the first choice. Just because he was the first name linked doesn't mean he was first choice.

Remember it was the Sun which broke this story and said a £3.5m bid. Phil said that was overstating Town's position or something like that. Suddenly claiming we made several bids and he was likely the number one target is a massive leap.

Truly impaired.

Comment on the Simms signing on 20:21 - Jul 8 with 3592 viewsNutkins_Return

Comment on the Simms signing on 20:15 - Jul 8 by FevsBCFC

The story coming out is that it’s £3.5m initial fee, another £1.5m based on apps and goals…and a £3m promotion add-on too. So £8m total possible.

I would’ve thought Everton might have pushed for a bit more.

Glad you agree on his mobility, can only suggest it’s a salty Mackems fan.

It's good business for them. A bit steep for us on one player for financial fair play. They have a wedge of cash and seems a good buy to me.

Hirst and some one like ( Surridge/Yates/Maja...) Would be awesome. Maybe a bit wishful but we've been spoilt.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2023 20:22]
Comment on the Simms signing on 20:28 - Jul 8 with 3513 viewsNutkins_Return

Comment on the Simms signing on 20:20 - Jul 8 by J2BLUE

think we made several. Probably our first choice striker signing.

Based on what? Local media say no bid. I would be amazed if he was the first choice. Just because he was the first name linked doesn't mean he was first choice.

Remember it was the Sun which broke this story and said a £3.5m bid. Phil said that was overstating Town's position or something like that. Suddenly claiming we made several bids and he was likely the number one target is a massive leap.

...so it wasn't based on nothing. Was widely reported. We were clearly interested.

I said "I think" - not 'claiming' as you are now saying. Pot/kettle I think here. That was my opinion. As you say I think most people can deduce we were very interested. I THINK we likely bid for him but weren't going to break ffp. And if we were in for Simms he's going to be right up there high on our list isn't he?! That seems pretty obvious. I think we want 2 in though (not claiming it just to be clear)
Comment on the Simms signing on 20:35 - Jul 8 with 3433 viewsStewart27

Comment on the Simms signing on 19:33 - Jul 8 by Nutkins_Return

Nutkins

Calm down.
Comment on the Simms signing on 21:38 - Jul 8 with 3191 viewsNutkins_Return

Comment on the Simms signing on 20:35 - Jul 8 by Stewart27

Nutkins

Calm down.

Haha, I like the idea you read my post in a really aggressive voice 😂
Comment on the Simms signing on 10:01 - Jul 9 with 2356 viewsJ2BLUE

Comment on the Simms signing on 20:28 - Jul 8 by Nutkins_Return

...so it wasn't based on nothing. Was widely reported. We were clearly interested.

I said "I think" - not 'claiming' as you are now saying. Pot/kettle I think here. That was my opinion. As you say I think most people can deduce we were very interested. I THINK we likely bid for him but weren't going to break ffp. And if we were in for Simms he's going to be right up there high on our list isn't he?! That seems pretty obvious. I think we want 2 in though (not claiming it just to be clear)

Fair point on the wording.

It was reported by the Sun and then picked up elsewhere as far as I know? The Sun said Town stormed out of the awards when McKenna was overlooked so not sure they are a great source.

We may well have made an enquiry but doesn't sound like we made a bid. If they quoted this sort of price to us, I would imagine we moved on fairly quickly.

Agree we probably want two strikers in. We'd be pretty short otherwise. Purely speculating but I can't see why Hirst wouldn't be first choice. McKenna clearly wants him and he's a long term target. He wanted him enough to take him on a half season loan. Would be strange if he thinks he can't step up and Hirst's performances here won't have done him any harm. Hopefully once the internationals are back at Leicester we can get that one done if we do want him.

Truly impaired.

Comment on the Simms signing on 10:17 - Jul 9 with 2271 viewsNutkins_Return

Comment on the Simms signing on 10:01 - Jul 9 by J2BLUE

Fair point on the wording.

It was reported by the Sun and then picked up elsewhere as far as I know? The Sun said Town stormed out of the awards when McKenna was overlooked so not sure they are a great source.

We may well have made an enquiry but doesn't sound like we made a bid. If they quoted this sort of price to us, I would imagine we moved on fairly quickly.

Agree we probably want two strikers in. We'd be pretty short otherwise. Purely speculating but I can't see why Hirst wouldn't be first choice. McKenna clearly wants him and he's a long term target. He wanted him enough to take him on a half season loan. Would be strange if he thinks he can't step up and Hirst's performances here won't have done him any harm. Hopefully once the internationals are back at Leicester we can get that one done if we do want him.

I think we can shake hands and move on. Everything you say is pretty logical. May not have been formal bid and more discussions over money.

Really hope it's Hirst +1 and do think that's the plan. Was expecting Hirst to take a while and be second in. At this rate who knows. Confident we'l let decent forwards in just hope they can hit the ground.
Comment on the Simms signing on 10:22 - Jul 9 with 2236 viewsPhilTWTD

Comment on the Simms signing on 19:14 - Jul 8 by SitfcB

Ah must be 100% true then.

Worth pointing out that there were claims from sources up there that we had a £4m bid turned down while the Coventry offer which was accepted is reportedly an initial £3.5m. I get the impression a lot of false information was being put out there, even if it was clear we were interested and were certainly in discussions with Everton.
Comment on the Simms signing on 10:48 - Jul 9 with 2109 viewsBigCommon

Saw some comments a week or two back from Sunderland fans, that questioned Simms work rate, tbf.
Long before any deals were done. And I think Sunderland were, at the time, mentioned as a possible destination for him..
Maybe KM had a slightly different role in mind, compared to how Hirst was employed last season?. We've seen some tactical tweaks to the system in pre season, already.
As far as what he's alleged to have cost Coventry,6-8m. If he scores a hatful of goals, he could be worth twice that in a couple of seasons. Or even, have fired them to the Prem'..... So its a question of wait and see, if its been a losing gamble or not. As with most signings. The bigger the risk, the bigger the rewards can be.
End of the day, if he didn't want to come here after knowing there was interest from us. Then ,imo, I don't want him here...
Comment on the Simms signing on 12:33 - Jul 9 with 1829 viewsNutkins_Return

Comment on the Simms signing on 10:22 - Jul 9 by PhilTWTD

Worth pointing out that there were claims from sources up there that we had a £4m bid turned down while the Coventry offer which was accepted is reportedly an initial £3.5m. I get the impression a lot of false information was being put out there, even if it was clear we were interested and were certainly in discussions with Everton.

Possibly never got to 'formal' bid but £4 million total + add ons wouldn't be a surprise if it was including the add ons. I would have thought we'd go to £2-.5-3mil upfront.

Cov have got a good player but doesn't feel like one we have 'missed' out on as such as we were never going to play the total fee Cov have with add ons.

Be nice to get one in soon but we'll just have to be patient. Strikers are always the most tricky as everyone wants them!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024