Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Haha sheff utd gaffa... 21:29 - Sep 24 with 2289 viewsFrimleyBlue

"These results are going to come, we expect them.

Lots for the fans to look forward to then :)

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Haha sheff utd gaffa... on 22:07 - Sep 24 with 2124 viewsthatbdude

He knows they're naff and going to be relegated by March. Would be a miracle if they stay up

Poll: Who going down?

Haha sheff utd gaffa... on 06:19 - Sep 25 with 1813 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

What's sad is the ruination of the structure of English football by the TV money. They've created a model that sustains 16 or 17 Prem teams who remain there permanently with virtually no threat of relegation, and a handful of yo-yo teams who are the whipping boys each season in the Prem, but with the parachute payments can usually return to the Pl in 1-2 years. There financial gap is way too big between Pl and Champ. Paul Heckingbottom is right, and whilst I have no sympathies towards Sheff U, I deplore what the PL have done by effectively eliminating relegation for their exclusive boys club.

Poll: would you rather

Haha sheff utd gaffa... on 07:09 - Sep 25 with 1730 viewsIPS_wich

Haha sheff utd gaffa... on 06:19 - Sep 25 by LegendofthePhoenix

What's sad is the ruination of the structure of English football by the TV money. They've created a model that sustains 16 or 17 Prem teams who remain there permanently with virtually no threat of relegation, and a handful of yo-yo teams who are the whipping boys each season in the Prem, but with the parachute payments can usually return to the Pl in 1-2 years. There financial gap is way too big between Pl and Champ. Paul Heckingbottom is right, and whilst I have no sympathies towards Sheff U, I deplore what the PL have done by effectively eliminating relegation for their exclusive boys club.

But that’s not actually true is it.

The three relegated sides back in May were Leicester, Southampton and Leeds who had been in the Premier league for 9, 10 and 3 seasons respectively.

Sure, the three promoted sides haven’t won yet this season; but they’re 2 points from 17th and only 4 points behind Chelsea.

Sure, the big 6 have enough money to never fear relegation from the premier league; but last year showed us that the other 14 teams should never feel safe.

As for parachute money, currently Ipswich and Preston are 2nd and 3rd in the championship with a gap already opening to fourth. Neither have parachute money. Neither did Luton last year.

I’d argue there’s far less yo-yoing in the last 3-4 seasons than during the 2010s.
Haha sheff utd gaffa... on 07:26 - Sep 25 with 1674 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Haha sheff utd gaffa... on 07:09 - Sep 25 by IPS_wich

But that’s not actually true is it.

The three relegated sides back in May were Leicester, Southampton and Leeds who had been in the Premier league for 9, 10 and 3 seasons respectively.

Sure, the three promoted sides haven’t won yet this season; but they’re 2 points from 17th and only 4 points behind Chelsea.

Sure, the big 6 have enough money to never fear relegation from the premier league; but last year showed us that the other 14 teams should never feel safe.

As for parachute money, currently Ipswich and Preston are 2nd and 3rd in the championship with a gap already opening to fourth. Neither have parachute money. Neither did Luton last year.

I’d argue there’s far less yo-yoing in the last 3-4 seasons than during the 2010s.

The Pl and parachute teams can of course mess things up if they try hard enough - but they have so much more cash they can bin off their manager, sometimes more than once, and have a second bite at the cherry in January to bring in multi-million replacements, that are simply out of reach for championship teams. The only hope is that a team with parachutes can yo-yo back 2 or 3 times and manage to escape relegation. But looking at the PL, there really are at least 15 teams that should never be in danger of relegation. The rest have to fight over the crumbs. If you don't think its distorted, I don't know what it takes to convince you.

Poll: would you rather

Haha sheff utd gaffa... on 09:15 - Sep 25 with 1525 viewsIPS_wich

Haha sheff utd gaffa... on 07:26 - Sep 25 by LegendofthePhoenix

The Pl and parachute teams can of course mess things up if they try hard enough - but they have so much more cash they can bin off their manager, sometimes more than once, and have a second bite at the cherry in January to bring in multi-million replacements, that are simply out of reach for championship teams. The only hope is that a team with parachutes can yo-yo back 2 or 3 times and manage to escape relegation. But looking at the PL, there really are at least 15 teams that should never be in danger of relegation. The rest have to fight over the crumbs. If you don't think its distorted, I don't know what it takes to convince you.

I used to think it was distorted and was kind of pro the breakaway league so we could address the imbalance - but I told you why I think it’s got better and used last years relegation as the reason why - I thought I was quite clear.
Haha sheff utd gaffa... on 11:10 - Sep 25 with 1340 viewsCrockerITFC

Tell that to Leicester
Haha sheff utd gaffa... on 11:17 - Sep 25 with 1304 viewstractorboy1978

It doesn't help this year that 2 of the 3 promoted teams aren't even trying to stay up. Sheffield United have a weaker squad than last year after losing arguably their 4 best players from last season. Luton are a L1 club in stature and in terms of most of their infrastructure. They are clearly taking a longer term approach and intend to bank the money to grow the club.

The parachute payments definitely need revamping, but I don't think it is anything like the closed shop you think it is. It has always been thus that the three promoted teams have to invest, work smarter/more efficiently and/or rely on other clubs messing up if they want to stay up year 1.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2023 16:37]
Haha sheff utd gaffa... on 13:16 - Sep 25 with 1213 viewsRyorry

Haha sheff utd gaffa... on 09:15 - Sep 25 by IPS_wich

I used to think it was distorted and was kind of pro the breakaway league so we could address the imbalance - but I told you why I think it’s got better and used last years relegation as the reason why - I thought I was quite clear.

Thing is though, I remember ManU being in the 2nd tier in the 1980s. Don’t see that or other clubs like Chelsea being in similar situations now, do you?

It’s not just Sky or the Prem who caused this, it’s the English football authorities who chose not to regulate, or bother to implement due diligence on prospective owners of clubs (and where their money came from).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

Haha sheff utd gaffa... on 16:18 - Sep 25 with 1054 viewsBramidan

Right looking for some education here and I know I can rely on you lot!
Team gets relegated because they are not good enough.
Drop into a lower league and get compensated for their failure.
The compensation for the failure enables them to retain their failed premiership players and money to strengthen their squad to get back to the promised land.
Could somebody please explain to me the rationale behind this?
Haha sheff utd gaffa... on 16:34 - Sep 25 with 1026 viewsHungryLikeTheWoolf

Haha sheff utd gaffa... on 13:16 - Sep 25 by Ryorry

Thing is though, I remember ManU being in the 2nd tier in the 1980s. Don’t see that or other clubs like Chelsea being in similar situations now, do you?

It’s not just Sky or the Prem who caused this, it’s the English football authorities who chose not to regulate, or bother to implement due diligence on prospective owners of clubs (and where their money came from).

Established prem teams such as Newcastle and Villa were in the championship in the past decade and are now back playing in Europe, Everton nearly got relegated last year, etc. I suppose none of these were permanent big 6 teams though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024