Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Update in Youth football question I posted last month 11:35 - Feb 5 with 1798 viewsBelsteadCav

We have continued to rotate the team in Divison 1, with everyone getting at least 30 minutes out of the 60. We Have won 2 lost 1 and also won our game in the Q/F of the cup. So at the moment we have a very happy group of u11s and Parents. On Saturday the opposition manager praised us for playing like a development team, as we are one of the few that are still actually doing it at 9 a side.

So looks good for the future. Thanks for all the replies and advice from previous post

King of the board since 98
Poll: Updated Poll . What would you rather win as a Sportsman

Update in Youth football question I posted last month on 11:53 - Feb 5 with 1746 viewsBluefish

Does my head in to see kids not getting equal share. I still do that with my tean and we are 11 a side u13s. The trouble is the academys lead a shocking example, they drop kids all over and focus on pace and size over ball ability.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Update in Youth football question I posted last month on 13:27 - Feb 5 with 1680 viewsBelsteadCav

Update in Youth football question I posted last month on 11:53 - Feb 5 by Bluefish

Does my head in to see kids not getting equal share. I still do that with my tean and we are 11 a side u13s. The trouble is the academys lead a shocking example, they drop kids all over and focus on pace and size over ball ability.

My 10 year old son is at Ipswich at the moment. They rate him above where he's supposed to be on technical ability. He's not the quickest or biggest so of course that is holding him back

King of the board since 98
Poll: Updated Poll . What would you rather win as a Sportsman

Update in Youth football question I posted last month on 14:27 - Feb 5 with 1619 viewsbluepirate

Good for you, I work as a professional coach in an elite club in the US. Recently a couple of colleagues returned home to the U.K., and were constantly annoyed by youth coaching back home, so it's good to see someone doing it right.

Keep up the good work, and good luck!!
Update in Youth football question I posted last month on 14:45 - Feb 5 with 1581 viewssparks

Update in Youth football question I posted last month on 14:27 - Feb 5 by bluepirate

Good for you, I work as a professional coach in an elite club in the US. Recently a couple of colleagues returned home to the U.K., and were constantly annoyed by youth coaching back home, so it's good to see someone doing it right.

Keep up the good work, and good luck!!

My U7s lost a game this mroning that we would have won comfortably had I not dogmatically insisted on every player having the same game time. It can be hard to explain tot he better players at times, but is the right approach imo.

On a related point, there are some big organised well funded outfits around here with squads of 20 or more from whom they pick the best 8 or 9 for matchdays. My U9s have games coming up against the 2 most dominant ones. Im seriously thinking about giving the games a swerve. Its just going to demoralise my lads.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Update in Youth football question I posted last month on 14:47 - Feb 5 with 1568 viewsReuser_is_God

Update in Youth football question I posted last month on 14:45 - Feb 5 by sparks

My U7s lost a game this mroning that we would have won comfortably had I not dogmatically insisted on every player having the same game time. It can be hard to explain tot he better players at times, but is the right approach imo.

On a related point, there are some big organised well funded outfits around here with squads of 20 or more from whom they pick the best 8 or 9 for matchdays. My U9s have games coming up against the 2 most dominant ones. Im seriously thinking about giving the games a swerve. Its just going to demoralise my lads.

Don't swerve games like that, take them on.

Your lads will benefit from doing so in the long run, if you don't play these better sides they'll develop an inferiority complex.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Update in Youth football question I posted last month on 14:50 - Feb 5 with 1554 viewssparks

Update in Youth football question I posted last month on 14:47 - Feb 5 by Reuser_is_God

Don't swerve games like that, take them on.

Your lads will benefit from doing so in the long run, if you don't play these better sides they'll develop an inferiority complex.

There's playing better sides, and then there's utter mismatches.

Played one of these sides last year, (when it was 5 aside on a smaller pitch). Lost 14 -0 in 40 minutes, nearly sent one of the opposition off for taunting my guys.... Played 20 of those minutes with an extra player because the opposition coach suggested we play with an extra one to even things up...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Update in Youth football question I posted last month on 14:51 - Feb 5 with 1537 viewsReuser_is_God

Update in Youth football question I posted last month on 14:50 - Feb 5 by sparks

There's playing better sides, and then there's utter mismatches.

Played one of these sides last year, (when it was 5 aside on a smaller pitch). Lost 14 -0 in 40 minutes, nearly sent one of the opposition off for taunting my guys.... Played 20 of those minutes with an extra player because the opposition coach suggested we play with an extra one to even things up...

Okay, I didn't realise it was quite that bad.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Update in Youth football question I posted last month on 14:55 - Feb 5 with 1517 viewssparks

Update in Youth football question I posted last month on 14:51 - Feb 5 by Reuser_is_God

Okay, I didn't realise it was quite that bad.

We are a small village team. 10 players at best. And they are the 10 locally who want to come and play- there's been none of the natural filtering you get in bigger towns and schools, where only the cool kids and the sporty ones actually tend to go to a football club / team at all. So we struggle much of the time anyway- but when we come across these teams with 2 sides in every age group and squads of 20 to choose from, its a real problem :-(

Login to get fewer ads

Update in Youth football question I posted last month on 15:21 - Feb 5 with 1469 viewsbluepirate

Update in Youth football question I posted last month on 14:45 - Feb 5 by sparks

Still good for you, the players will benefit in the long run by playing and not watching, rotate players and rotate positions, it's about fun and playing.

Even we have days like this against bigger clubs, but we set achievable team and individual goals, this way, even the most humbling defeat can be a positive for players when goals are reinforced.

Parents, for the most part, are dumb when it comes to football development and don't see what you are trying to do. I constantly send team emails with our team goals on them and important steps forward. Informed parents can be the very important allies. With troublesome ones, I usually take time to talk with all parents over a season one on one, informal and brief, to highlight these and the individual goals of that player. This does help, and the better parents will help keep others in line.

It's hard when you're the small fish, but will be worthwhile in the long run.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024