Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is shameful stuff by the government 09:04 - Feb 9 with 3111 viewsGlasgowBlue

http://news.sky.com/story/lord-dubs-describes-closure-of-child-migrant-scheme-as

Looks like they got this through whilst everybody's attention was elsewhere.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

This is shameful stuff by the government on 09:09 - Feb 9 with 1764 viewsbluelagos

The debate, post Brexit, seems to have shifted some way whereby migration is becoming a dirty word. To the point where we row back on what are no more than humanitarian actions to help child refugees.

Your description of shameful sums it up well Glassers.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

This is shameful stuff by the government on 09:32 - Feb 9 with 1720 viewsBOjK

Yup. You've always been consistent in your support for the UK doing its bit for refugees, and IIRC you've not just sat on your arse too.

Shame May doesn't agree with you.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

This is shameful stuff by the government on 09:55 - Feb 9 with 1707 viewsNo9

Whilst I agree with your sympathies wasn't this always the way it was going to go?

Hadn't May as HS shown several times she had no time for refugees?
This is shameful stuff by the government on 09:59 - Feb 9 with 1675 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yes, poor. As was MP's voting against protecting the rights of European citizens currently living in the UK. That's a LOT of couples who are going to be affected.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This is shameful stuff by the government on 10:01 - Feb 9 with 1665 viewsBlueLikeJazz

This is shameful stuff by the government on 09:59 - Feb 9 by Swansea_Blue

Yes, poor. As was MP's voting against protecting the rights of European citizens currently living in the UK. That's a LOT of couples who are going to be affected.

Yeah. And it's just as well the Good Friday Agreement doesn't really matter...
*sigh*
This is shameful stuff by the government on 10:08 - Feb 9 with 1653 viewsGlasgowBlue

This is shameful stuff by the government on 09:59 - Feb 9 by Swansea_Blue

May tried to get a reciprocal deal regarding EU citizens but the EU weren't interested.

I think something like 70% of EU citizens in the U.K. are already protected and by the time we leave another ten percent will have joined that list.

You have to understand that May must put the interests of our own citizens living in the EU first so to give away that negotiating position would be a dereliction of duty.

Although I agree with your sentiment. I'd give a guarantee. But I don't have the job of PM who has to be less emotional.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2017 11:46]

Iron Lion Zion

This is shameful stuff by the government on 10:24 - Feb 9 with 1619 viewsNo9

This is shameful stuff by the government on 10:08 - Feb 9 by GlasgowBlue

May tried to get a reciprocal deal regarding EU citizens but the EU weren't interested.

I think something like 70% of EU citizens in the U.K. are already protected and by the time we leave another ten percent will have joined that list.

You have to understand that May must put the interests of our own citizens living in the EU first so to give away that negotiating position would be a dereliction of duty.

Although I agree with your sentiment. I'd give a guarantee. But I don't have the job of PM who has to be less emotional.

Don't forget that many 'Brits' were offered citizenship in EU companies /countries dependign on their trade / profession. Quite a lot have taken uo the offer and more have applied for dual citizenship.

One of the issues at stake is the number of UK residents in the southern countries who are non perfromers e.g. retired. Presently they are entitled to medical treatment etc. via the E111 card. The UK has stated when we leave the EU this will cease to be effective.
It is apparent, that currently it is the UK who is driving this. Our friends in Spain have been asked if they will probably have to take out private insurance as they never signed up to the Spanish system so do not qualify for support when the UK abandons the E111.

Presently the situation seeems different as the EU people here seeking assurance from the government are either working or have businesses here?
This is shameful stuff by the government on 10:48 - Feb 9 with 1580 viewsnrb1985

This is shameful stuff by the government on 09:09 - Feb 9 by bluelagos

The debate, post Brexit, seems to have shifted some way whereby migration is becoming a dirty word. To the point where we row back on what are no more than humanitarian actions to help child refugees.

Your description of shameful sums it up well Glassers.

This country has lost its humanity.

That's why lots of us spoke up in approval of Bercow saying what he said. It's about time somebody in our country spoke up for the remaining decent people here.

I think the history books are going to judge this period in Britain very harshly indeed.
Login to get fewer ads

This is shameful stuff by the government on 10:54 - Feb 9 with 1559 viewsbluelagos

This is shameful stuff by the government on 10:48 - Feb 9 by nrb1985

That's why lots of us spoke up in approval of Bercow saying what he said. It's about time somebody in our country spoke up for the remaining decent people here.

I think the history books are going to judge this period in Britain very harshly indeed.

The pendulum has swung

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

This is shameful stuff by the government on 10:56 - Feb 9 with 1554 viewsnrb1985

This is shameful stuff by the government on 10:54 - Feb 9 by bluelagos

The pendulum has swung

And it will swing back once;

a) People see where populism gets them.
b) The baby boomers have gone (Thank God) and the Millenials come through
This is shameful stuff by the government on 10:58 - Feb 9 with 1545 viewsNo9

It was clear to me that Cameron was pushed into an EU vote by the right wing of his party, although I never believedd he was not part of that right wing. It is no coincidence that it is the right wing tories where the really nasty people find sanctuary & don't forget on becoming elected Cameron dispatched the odious Pickle to form alliances with far right European parties & Fox formed alliances with far right Americans.
We should therefor not be surprised at where this is going we should either do somethignor just be very afraid of what the future may hold.

The world is already starting to judge the UK over things like arms & military personnel to Saudi etal & it isn't favourably
This is shameful stuff by the government on 11:45 - Feb 9 with 1503 viewsGlasgowBlue

This country?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/most-europeans-want-muslim-ban-im

Iron Lion Zion

This is shameful stuff by the government on 12:15 - Feb 9 with 1471 viewsSwansea_Blue

This is shameful stuff by the government on 10:08 - Feb 9 by GlasgowBlue

It's obvious they wouldn't be interested yet. They've said until they're blue in the faces that negotiations won't officially start until A50 is triggered.

Take the emotion out, and it's still about supporting employers who already have good EU staff working for them.

But hey ho, we are where we are.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This is shameful stuff by the government on 12:23 - Feb 9 with 1462 viewsnrb1985

This is shameful stuff by the government on 11:45 - Feb 9 by GlasgowBlue

This country?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/most-europeans-want-muslim-ban-im

Yes, this country.

The reason we don't have so many issues with homegrown terrorists, as say france for example, is because we don't ostracise huge swathes of people from society leaving them with little hope of advancing themselves personally or professionally.

We are (or used to be pre Brexit) an open, tolerant and decent country that welcomes people from all backgrounds and realised that our strength comes from our diversity. People therefore felt included and accepted regardless of their background.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2017 12:43]
This is shameful stuff by the government on 13:12 - Feb 9 with 1388 viewsGlasgowBlue

This is shameful stuff by the government on 12:23 - Feb 9 by nrb1985

Yes, this country.

The reason we don't have so many issues with homegrown terrorists, as say france for example, is because we don't ostracise huge swathes of people from society leaving them with little hope of advancing themselves personally or professionally.

We are (or used to be pre Brexit) an open, tolerant and decent country that welcomes people from all backgrounds and realised that our strength comes from our diversity. People therefore felt included and accepted regardless of their background.

You'll no doubt be in favour of the diversity opening our borders ro non EU migrants will bring post Brexit as we no longer discriminate against then in favour of EU migrants.

Iron Lion Zion

This is shameful stuff by the government on 13:23 - Feb 9 with 1354 viewsnrb1985

This is shameful stuff by the government on 13:12 - Feb 9 by GlasgowBlue

You'll no doubt be in favour of the diversity opening our borders ro non EU migrants will bring post Brexit as we no longer discriminate against then in favour of EU migrants.

Eh?! The rules on how many non EU migrants are set by the home office not the EU.

Sounds like you're trying to blame the EU for the fact that Britain chooses to set out strict criteria non EU migrants.
This is shameful stuff by the government on 13:25 - Feb 9 with 1342 viewsGlasgowBlue

This is shameful stuff by the government on 13:23 - Feb 9 by nrb1985

Eh?! The rules on how many non EU migrants are set by the home office not the EU.

Sounds like you're trying to blame the EU for the fact that Britain chooses to set out strict criteria non EU migrants.

Do you belive in open door immigration or controlled immigration?
[Post edited 9 Feb 2017 13:26]

Iron Lion Zion

This is shameful stuff by the government on 13:25 - Feb 9 with 1337 viewsBOjK

This is shameful stuff by the government on 10:56 - Feb 9 by nrb1985

And it will swing back once;

a) People see where populism gets them.
b) The baby boomers have gone (Thank God) and the Millenials come through

Or (history tells us) there's a war.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

This is shameful stuff by the government on 13:27 - Feb 9 with 1312 viewsGlasgowBlue

This is shameful stuff by the government on 12:23 - Feb 9 by nrb1985

Yes, this country.

And yet, our of all our so called progressive EU neighbours, only Spain has a more tolerant view on Muslim immigration than we do.

We are better off cutting ourselves off from these racist bigots.

Iron Lion Zion

This is shameful stuff by the government on 13:28 - Feb 9 with 1313 viewsBOjK

This is shameful stuff by the government on 13:12 - Feb 9 by GlasgowBlue

If you think a government who won't even admit unaccompanied child refugees will take this opportunity to increase non-EU immigration I fear you are mistaken.

This is shameful stuff by the government on 13:29 - Feb 9 with 1301 viewsnrb1985

This is shameful stuff by the government on 13:25 - Feb 9 by GlasgowBlue

I believe in considering an alternative approach to migration once we reach breaking point.

A group of people that are net contributors to our society (financially and socially in my opinion) and make up less than 5% of the population I do not consider to be breaking point.
This is shameful stuff by the government on 13:34 - Feb 9 with 1270 viewsNo9

This is shameful stuff by the government on 13:25 - Feb 9 by GlasgowBlue

How do you know how many people come in & out from the EU on a periodical basis since Mrs May stopped counting people out?

Do you agree it is OK for the government to allow Non EU immigrants in via the back door when the non EU (& real Non EU immigration) is so high?

Undoubtedly you have double standards & not so long ago supported immigration - didn't you?
This is shameful stuff by the government on 13:35 - Feb 9 with 1268 viewsGlasgowBlue

This is shameful stuff by the government on 13:34 - Feb 9 by No9

How do you know how many people come in & out from the EU on a periodical basis since Mrs May stopped counting people out?

Do you agree it is OK for the government to allow Non EU immigrants in via the back door when the non EU (& real Non EU immigration) is so high?

Undoubtedly you have double standards & not so long ago supported immigration - didn't you?

Where have I said I am against immigration?
[Post edited 9 Feb 2017 13:39]

Iron Lion Zion

This is shameful stuff by the government on 13:38 - Feb 9 with 1256 viewsGlasgowBlue

This is shameful stuff by the government on 13:29 - Feb 9 by nrb1985

I believe in considering an alternative approach to migration once we reach breaking point.

A group of people that are net contributors to our society (financially and socially in my opinion) and make up less than 5% of the population I do not consider to be breaking point.

Do you believe in an open door policy or a controlled policy on immigration? It was a simple question.

Iron Lion Zion

This is shameful stuff by the government on 13:39 - Feb 9 with 1251 viewsNo9

This is shameful stuff by the government on 13:35 - Feb 9 by GlasgowBlue

Where have I said I am against immigration?
[Post edited 9 Feb 2017 13:39]

Oh dear, here we go again, you want everyone to answer your questions BUT consiltantly refuse to answer questions posted by anyone else.

Why don't you, just admit, when it comes to the EU you are totally out of your depth?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024