Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM 07:57 - Mar 19 with 1641 viewsflashblue

The last referendum was for a generation, this was stated by all parties and put in writing by Salmomd.

1.Nothing has happened to change the above.
2. Brexit is totally irrelevant and separate to this argument because Scotland leaving the U.K. Has no impact on their EU status.
3. We have had two referendums in this county recently, the Conservatives have accepted both the SNP neither.
4. Splitting the UK is not just about Scotland, it impacts the rest of the UK and as PM, May is entitled to block any referendum.
5. What the SNP put in their election literature is totally irrelevant, such a ridiculous argument. They don't even have a majority.
6. The scots people don't wan't another referendum

Scottish business needs clarity on this whole issue. Well May can give this by reiterating there should be no referendum for a generation and that means until around 2040. Certainly not within her or Sturgeon's political lifetime.

If she did this, the whole debate would be killed stone dead and everyone could move on!

If something's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.
Poll: Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the EU or leave the EU?

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 08:04 - Mar 19 with 1278 viewsElderGrizzly

Is that not exactly what she did last week? 👀

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/scottish-referendum-theresa-may-bl
I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 08:10 - Mar 19 with 1261 viewsflashblue

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 08:04 - Mar 19 by ElderGrizzly

Is that not exactly what she did last week? 👀

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/scottish-referendum-theresa-may-bl

I think she needs to go further and say "never" not just "now is not the right time"

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 08:28 - Mar 19 with 1238 viewsJohnTy

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 08:10 - Mar 19 by flashblue

I think she needs to go further and say "never" not just "now is not the right time"

Never?

That would be a gift to the Nationalists.

Clearly the possibility/likelihood of leaving the EU without an agreement on access to the single market is a situation that was not envisaged at the time of the last referendum. That will affect not only relations with Scotland, but relations with all the Governments and peoples of these islands, including Ireland.
I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 08:45 - Mar 19 with 1210 viewsNo9

Have you not considered that fact that Mrs May is runningscared from the tory rightwing ?
Have you not also considered that the tory rw may well be in favour of the devolved countries leaving ?
I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 10:19 - Mar 19 with 1178 viewsMJallday

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 10:26 - Mar 19 with 1169 viewsDarth_Koont

"1.Nothing has happened to change the above."

Welcome back from your coma.

Pronouns: He/Him

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 12:47 - Mar 19 with 1127 viewsJ2BLUE

I might start a petition on the government website to give them a second referendum.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 12:59 - Mar 19 with 1107 viewsClapham_Junction

Re point 5, the SNP aren't the only party in Scotland that support independence - the Greens also do - and together they won a majority of seats in the last election.
Login to get fewer ads

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 17:19 - Mar 19 with 1020 viewsflashblue

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 12:59 - Mar 19 by Clapham_Junction

Re point 5, the SNP aren't the only party in Scotland that support independence - the Greens also do - and together they won a majority of seats in the last election.

Well as an Englishman and UK citizen I have as much right as any Scot to have a say on the break up of the UK. I say no and I expect the prime minister to take into account the views of people like me.

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 17:32 - Mar 19 with 999 viewsblueislander

Your point 2 is not correct. One of the pillars of the SNP's argument for indepence is their wish that Scotland stays in the EU. Brexit is very much a key factor in this debate.
I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 17:32 - Mar 19 with 998 viewsJ2BLUE

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 17:19 - Mar 19 by flashblue

Well as an Englishman and UK citizen I have as much right as any Scot to have a say on the break up of the UK. I say no and I expect the prime minister to take into account the views of people like me.

You think it should go down to a UK vote on whether they leave? If Scotland vote yes and England keep them in the union against their wishes that is ok with you? Bloody ridiculous.

You would, quite rightfully, have no say.

Truly impaired.

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 17:32 - Mar 19 with 997 viewsClapham_Junction

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 17:19 - Mar 19 by flashblue

No you don't.

I suggest you do some reading up on the concept of self-determination.
I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 17:57 - Mar 19 with 963 viewsGlasgowBlue

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 12:59 - Mar 19 by Clapham_Junction

However, the Scottish Greens put this in their manifesto....

If a new referendum is to happen, it should come about by the will of the people, and not be driven by calculations of party political advantage.

There isn't a single poll showing the will of the people in holding a second referendum so quickly after the last one. In fact the polling average show just a third of Scots back it. Regardless of how they will vote.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 18:10 - Mar 19 with 940 viewsGlasgowBlue

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 12:47 - Mar 19 by J2BLUE

I might start a petition on the government website to give them a second referendum.

Sturgeon is using a referendum as a distraction.

On Thursday, we heard about soaring child poverty figures in Scotland

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-39290592

The school attainment gap between rich and poor is a national disgrace. The SNP’s record is catching up with it, Nicola Sturgeon’s approval rating is so low it’s below that of the Tory leader. The SNP need a distraction.

Iron Lion Zion

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 18:12 - Mar 19 with 935 viewsJ2BLUE

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 18:10 - Mar 19 by GlasgowBlue

The school attainment gap between rich and poor is a national disgrace. The SNP’s record is catching up with it, Nicola Sturgeon’s approval rating is so low it’s below that of the Tory leader. The SNP need a distraction.

That's nothing our friends in Russia can't sort out. Bit of hacking, some fake news and a few blatant lies will see an out vote. Hopefully.

Truly impaired.

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 18:15 - Mar 19 with 928 viewsblueislander

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 18:10 - Mar 19 by GlasgowBlue

Their EU argument is very flawed. The EU have made it clear that an independent Scotland would have to go through the due process for admission. This takes several years, during which they would be in complete limbo. Several EU members have already expressed their opposition to admitting Scotland, Spain being foremost among them.
I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 18:26 - Mar 19 with 907 viewsGlasgowBlue

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 18:15 - Mar 19 by blueislander

Their EU argument is very flawed. The EU have made it clear that an independent Scotland would have to go through the due process for admission. This takes several years, during which they would be in complete limbo. Several EU members have already expressed their opposition to admitting Scotland, Spain being foremost among them.

And Gordon Brown skewered her in the EU out the UK argument yesterday by pointing out that 65 per cent of Scotland's trade is with the rest of the UK, compared to only 15 per cent with the EU.

This is a gift to the Union as the issue will be put to bed for at least 20 years.

Iron Lion Zion

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 18:29 - Mar 19 with 906 viewsblueislander

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 18:26 - Mar 19 by GlasgowBlue

And Gordon Brown skewered her in the EU out the UK argument yesterday by pointing out that 65 per cent of Scotland's trade is with the rest of the UK, compared to only 15 per cent with the EU.

This is a gift to the Union as the issue will be put to bed for at least 20 years.

Brown delivered some really good speeches during the last referendum campaign. It is obviously something that really exercises him.
I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 18:36 - Mar 19 with 896 viewsGlasgowBlue

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 18:29 - Mar 19 by blueislander

Brown delivered some really good speeches during the last referendum campaign. It is obviously something that really exercises him.

Him and Ruth Davidson will be very effective. May and Corbyn need to stay away.

Iron Lion Zion

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 18:39 - Mar 19 with 899 viewsblueislander

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 18:36 - Mar 19 by GlasgowBlue

Him and Ruth Davidson will be very effective. May and Corbyn need to stay away.

But there won't be another referendum soon will there?
I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 18:45 - Mar 19 with 886 viewsEly_Blue

I think we should give them the referendum but with some key points if independance is voted on:

1.They have their own currency with imediatte effect
2. They raise all of their own taxes
3. They run all of their own services centrally from Holyrood
4. They are treated as a completely seperate country outside of the U.K and have to abide by the same rules, they have to get their own Scottish & EU passports and not a UK one

this is just for starters

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 19:10 - Mar 19 with 858 viewsGlasgowBlue

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 18:39 - Mar 19 by blueislander

But there won't be another referendum soon will there?

Not in the next two years no.

Iron Lion Zion

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 20:11 - Mar 19 with 820 viewsSwansea_Blue

Same UK-wide though isn't it? Rising poverty, homelessness, etc. Presumably if she wanted a distraction she could easily highlight what's happening across the UK on the Tory's watch.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 22:30 - Mar 19 with 783 viewsKievthegreat

So the other 27 countries should have had a vote on 23rd June?
I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 22:34 - Mar 19 with 775 viewsGlasgowBlue

I can't understand why May does not rule out an Indy Ref why she is PM on 20:11 - Mar 19 by Swansea_Blue

Same UK-wide though isn't it? Rising poverty, homelessness, etc. Presumably if she wanted a distraction she could easily highlight what's happening across the UK on the Tory's watch.

1% rise in the U.K. as a whole. 4% in Scotland.

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024