Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any gym rats out there? 06:50 - Mar 28 with 1962 viewsNewcyBlue

Anyone got any routines or exercises that they always do?

Anyone tried this Insanity or P90X stuff? It all seems a bit daft to me. Plus our gym deck is polished so a tad slippery. The bodyweight HIIT stuff seems to be all the rage at the moment.

The biggest problem for me is that I have very little control over the food available to me.

We have a fairly good gym on board that has a decent amount of weights, and we have a few cardio machines although the treadmill has a flat spot on it so can get a bit hairy at speed.

I have a long ocean crossing coming up and will aim to carry on with my weight loss (7kgs in 7 weeks now).

Anyone have any supplements they swear by? I bought some Hydroxycut for the trip and will try them on this crossing.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Any gym rats out there? on 07:04 - Mar 28 with 1942 viewsTractorWood

Gym 3/4 times a week working different muscles and a big healthy diet to fuel your work outs. 10 hours sleep if you can get it.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Any gym rats out there? on 07:18 - Mar 28 with 1910 viewsNewcyBlue

Any gym rats out there? on 07:04 - Mar 28 by TractorWood

Gym 3/4 times a week working different muscles and a big healthy diet to fuel your work outs. 10 hours sleep if you can get it.

10 hours? Yesterday I got 2 periods of 3... Today I have had another 3 hour rest and might get 4 later this evening if I am lucky....

Most I ever get on board in one go is 6.

Any gym rats out there? on 07:37 - Mar 28 with 1883 viewsKeaneish

I train 5 - 8 hours a week. Looks like that P90x is largely a mix of plyometrics and calisthenics which are good for strength and endurance. If you're looking to lose weight, lifting heavy weights is a better, more I tense fat burn than cardio but a balance of the two is recommended.

Diet is another major factor. If you've got 7 weeks, you've got plenty of time to cut stuff out to make a noticeable difference.

My work outs are a mixture of lots of different things from HIIT, TRX, calisthenics, plyometrics, cable weights, skipping, running, swimming plus all the bag work, sparring and shadow boxing I do. Everyone will recommend something different for sure.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] テつ」2.65 Million and Waiting?

Any gym rats out there? on 07:41 - Mar 28 with 1868 viewsKeaneish

Any gym rats out there? on 07:37 - Mar 28 by Keaneish

I train 5 - 8 hours a week. Looks like that P90x is largely a mix of plyometrics and calisthenics which are good for strength and endurance. If you're looking to lose weight, lifting heavy weights is a better, more I tense fat burn than cardio but a balance of the two is recommended.

Diet is another major factor. If you've got 7 weeks, you've got plenty of time to cut stuff out to make a noticeable difference.

My work outs are a mixture of lots of different things from HIIT, TRX, calisthenics, plyometrics, cable weights, skipping, running, swimming plus all the bag work, sparring and shadow boxing I do. Everyone will recommend something different for sure.

Forgot to add, it's better to train in the morning too for a fat burn. You'll burn off fat stores faster.

Any gym rats out there? on 07:47 - Mar 28 with 1850 viewsvapour_trail

Any gym rats out there? on 07:04 - Mar 28 by TractorWood

10 hours? How is that possible? I reckon I get about half that.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Any gym rats out there? on 08:21 - Mar 28 with 1800 viewsNewcyBlue

Any gym rats out there? on 07:41 - Mar 28 by Keaneish

Forgot to add, it's better to train in the morning too for a fat burn. You'll burn off fat stores faster.

I have already lost 7kgs in 7 weeks. I have noticed a big difference in my body already.

My problem is that I find it difficult to maintain at home! I am hoping if I make it enough of a habit at work then home should be a bit easier.

Any gym rats out there? on 08:35 - Mar 28 with 1760 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I'll be honest Newcy, I ain't a strong geezer

But I wanted a 6-pack so rather than join a gym, I started doing sit ups. Loads and loads of sit ups when I was bored at 4 in the minting. For as many days as possible that's what I do in the night. And press ups and the plank just to keep fit.

With the amount of gardening I do, that involves lots of lifting so that was easy enough.

But sit ups and lots of running and now I'm lightweight, eat absolutely whatever I want all the time but still look fit.

And my 6-pack is slowly getting there

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Any gym rats out there? on 08:39 - Mar 28 with 1746 viewsKeaneish

Any gym rats out there? on 08:21 - Mar 28 by NewcyBlue

I have already lost 7kgs in 7 weeks. I have noticed a big difference in my body already.

My problem is that I find it difficult to maintain at home! I am hoping if I make it enough of a habit at work then home should be a bit easier.

Ah I see. Fair play. That's some going losing a kilo a week.
I've had to try and do more stuff at home just to keep cost down a bit. A trainer wrote me a program which I spend an hour on most mornings. Again, a mix of plyometrics, calisthenics and weights. I normally couple that with some skipping and ladder work.

If you've got some space, all of this is dead easy to do on the cheap. You could probably Google a number of those P90x routines and build your own program.

Login to get fewer ads

Any gym rats out there? on 08:48 - Mar 28 with 1734 viewsNewcyBlue

Any gym rats out there? on 08:39 - Mar 28 by Keaneish

Ah I see. Fair play. That's some going losing a kilo a week.
I've had to try and do more stuff at home just to keep cost down a bit. A trainer wrote me a program which I spend an hour on most mornings. Again, a mix of plyometrics, calisthenics and weights. I normally couple that with some skipping and ladder work.

If you've got some space, all of this is dead easy to do on the cheap. You could probably Google a number of those P90x routines and build your own program.

It probably helps that my access to sugar and chocolate stuff has gone from whenever I want to almost zero.

That and eating a higher protein diet with mostly veg and only carbs when I am working stupid hours seems to have helped.

I have a decent weights routine I think, I just need to add in some form of cardio. I have a local SIM at the moment so am googling HIIT stuff, I just find it absolutely boring. At least with weights I can see the difference and know I am making gains.

Any gym rats out there? on 08:50 - Mar 28 with 1729 viewsNewcyBlue

Any gym rats out there? on 08:35 - Mar 28 by The_Romford_Blue

But I wanted a 6-pack so rather than join a gym, I started doing sit ups. Loads and loads of sit ups when I was bored at 4 in the minting. For as many days as possible that's what I do in the night. And press ups and the plank just to keep fit.

With the amount of gardening I do, that involves lots of lifting so that was easy enough.

But sit ups and lots of running and now I'm lightweight, eat absolutely whatever I want all the time but still look fit.

Rommy you're a slip of a lad. I reckon you have to run around in the shower just to get wet.

I am not massively bothered about having a 6 pack, just happy to be shifting my keg!

Any gym rats out there? on 09:01 - Mar 28 with 1702 viewsKeaneish

Any gym rats out there? on 08:48 - Mar 28 by NewcyBlue

It probably helps that my access to sugar and chocolate stuff has gone from whenever I want to almost zero.

That and eating a higher protein diet with mostly veg and only carbs when I am working stupid hours seems to have helped.

I have a decent weights routine I think, I just need to add in some form of cardio. I have a local SIM at the moment so am googling HIIT stuff, I just find it absolutely boring. At least with weights I can see the difference and know I am making gains.

I know mate. Some of it can be super dry. I spent 4-weeks last year doing small rotational work with light weights on my left shoulder to get the small muscles stronger to stabilise the shoulder more - boring as!

Less gluten has helped me maintain weight too btw.

Give skipping a go for some light cardio. It's great for me for footwork and works up a sweat. Quite addictive after a while.

Any gym rats out there? on 09:03 - Mar 28 with 1695 viewsNewcyBlue

Any gym rats out there? on 09:01 - Mar 28 by Keaneish

I know mate. Some of it can be super dry. I spent 4-weeks last year doing small rotational work with light weights on my left shoulder to get the small muscles stronger to stabilise the shoulder more - boring as!

Less gluten has helped me maintain weight too btw.

Give skipping a go for some light cardio. It's great for me for footwork and works up a sweat. Quite addictive after a while.

Skipping? I am the least co-ordinated man in the world....

I suppose there is only one way to improve!

We have plenty of rope so I can even make one

Any gym rats out there? on 09:09 - Mar 28 with 1676 viewsSwansea_Blue

You've got plenty of opportunity for some long swims though Newcy!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Any gym rats out there? on 09:18 - Mar 28 with 1647 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Any gym rats out there? on 08:50 - Mar 28 by NewcyBlue

Rommy you're a slip of a lad. I reckon you have to run around in the shower just to get wet.

I am not massively bothered about having a 6 pack, just happy to be shifting my keg!

Sit ups would help for that still I reckon. Lots of them and doing a 5k or 10k fun every few days. I do the latter to release stress actually. I find it helps.

I've always thought gym memberships are overpriced. Especially if you know stuff to do at home. Plus you can buy weights. If you chose to. I don't.

Any gym rats out there? (n/t) on 09:25 - Mar 28 with 1621 viewsFixed_It

Any gym rats out there? on 07:47 - Mar 28 by vapour_trail

10 hours? How is that possible? I reckon I get about half that.

10 hours sounds wonderful. But impossible.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2017 9:26]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Any gym rats out there? on 09:26 - Mar 28 with 1620 viewsDeano69

Any gym rats out there? on 08:35 - Mar 28 by The_Romford_Blue

Circuits are old school, but work. I do this with a bit of Crossfit at the gym but the wrong side of 40 so a 6 pack is a distant thing for me.

When I was really 'on it' I used to do the deano500, pick 10 exercises and do 50 or alternatively 5 exercises and do 100 of each (break them up in to 10s, 20s, 25s if you want) e.g. push up, sit up, crunch, squat, squat thrusts etc (loads more if you want them) but mix it up each day so you don't get too familiar. Also don't worry about speed, quality of the exercise will give you a much better work out.

Its better to do 20 absolutely technically correct of each exercise than rush and do 50.

Tabata is another good method, 20 secs work 10 sec rest repeat for 4 mins with one type of exercise, then one minute rest start another 4 minutes. there's apps to do the timing for you.

None of the above require a huge amount of space, any equipment and it can be 'fun' devising your own routines.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Any gym rats out there? on 09:27 - Mar 28 with 1606 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Any gym rats out there? on 09:26 - Mar 28 by Deano69

Circuits are old school, but work. I do this with a bit of Crossfit at the gym but the wrong side of 40 so a 6 pack is a distant thing for me.

When I was really 'on it' I used to do the deano500, pick 10 exercises and do 50 or alternatively 5 exercises and do 100 of each (break them up in to 10s, 20s, 25s if you want) e.g. push up, sit up, crunch, squat, squat thrusts etc (loads more if you want them) but mix it up each day so you don't get too familiar. Also don't worry about speed, quality of the exercise will give you a much better work out.

Its better to do 20 absolutely technically correct of each exercise than rush and do 50.

Tabata is another good method, 20 secs work 10 sec rest repeat for 4 mins with one type of exercise, then one minute rest start another 4 minutes. there's apps to do the timing for you.

None of the above require a huge amount of space, any equipment and it can be 'fun' devising your own routines.

I find sticking earphones in and putting some tooons on helps. Or when watching TV during the night for my insomnia.

Any gym rats out there? on 09:34 - Mar 28 with 1584 viewsDeano69

Any gym rats out there? on 09:27 - Mar 28 by The_Romford_Blue

I find sticking earphones in and putting some tooons on helps. Or when watching TV during the night for my insomnia.

earphones tend to get in the way for me, but music helps hugely when your struggling. I have used track lengths for timing exercises before.

Go for quality not quantity (the quantity will come once you have truly mastered technique, I thought I was good at sit ups until I was shown properly and went from being able to do 60 a minute to 25-30...).

Having said all this, exercise is about 20% of the job done with regards to body shape and having visible abs, sugar is your enemy and has allies with dirty carbs!! Also lots of water and plenty of good sleep, not ideal if you suffer insomnia or poor sleep. I did find getting fit and improving my diet helped my sleep, also cutting out evening eating a drinking helped me.

Any gym rats out there? on 09:40 - Mar 28 with 1566 viewschicoazul

Are you a sailor? You should have mentioned it.

Anyway dont do cardio. Do weights. Dont do supplements. Dont worry about the food you are eating as long as you dont eat too much of it. On a slippery surface you prob dont want to do squats so do kettlebells deadlift overhead and bench.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Any gym rats out there? on 09:41 - Mar 28 with 1563 viewsjpring89

Palio diet works well if you want to lose weight fast. Dark meat and greens for 5 days straight will see shed a lot of excess water and fat. I do this most weeks as im a gym nut but i love my food so i end up binging massively on weekends.
Its all in the diet and training regime i would say that supplement have marginal effect on weight loss. Keep changing your training regime every 3-4 weeks aswell.

Poll: What irritates you more ?

Any gym rats out there? (n/t) on 09:43 - Mar 28 with 1554 viewsTractorWood

Any gym rats out there? (n/t) on 09:25 - Mar 28 by Fixed_It

10 hours sounds wonderful. But impossible.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2017 9:26]

It's the goal. After a massive gym session, it's not unheard of. Does wonders.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Any gym rats out there? (n/t) on 10:07 - Mar 28 with 1517 viewsdirtyboy

Any gym rats out there? (n/t) on 09:43 - Mar 28 by TractorWood

It's the goal. After a massive gym session, it's not unheard of. Does wonders.

Spot on. People underestimate the importance of sleep when trying to improve their overall body composition.

Hit the gym, and break down the muscle, then your body will only repair it whilst sleeping, so amongst all the other stuff your body repairs whilst you sleep, if you're working out too, you need more sleep. 10 hours is probably pushing it, but certainly hit a good 8.

Squats are good if you have limited weights, the legs are a huge muscle group, so they will utilise more calories in repair and exercise. Never skip leg day.

Press ups are a very good body weight exercise working the chest, arms and core at the same time, don't underestimate them, but there's a lot to be said for ramping up the weights when things plateau.

Sit ups are actually not the best abdominal exercise, pretty isolated on what they achieve, crunches are okay, but russian twists for obliques, hanging leg raises for lower abs and planking for pretty much everything....not only abs, but delts, lats, legs etc!

Regardless of that, you can't out train a bad diet, so if you're currently losing weight, you're on the right path with calorific intake. Building muscle on a calorie deficit is incredibly difficult, you might get some hypertrophy, but the reality is your muscles will look bigger if you lose fat!

Finally, consistency is key....get something you enjoy and can do regularly and stick with it, don't read Mens Health one month and pick a routine, then choose another the month after from a different article.
Any gym rats out there? (n/t) on 11:16 - Mar 28 with 1452 viewsDeano69

Any gym rats out there? (n/t) on 10:07 - Mar 28 by dirtyboy

Spot on. People underestimate the importance of sleep when trying to improve their overall body composition.

Hit the gym, and break down the muscle, then your body will only repair it whilst sleeping, so amongst all the other stuff your body repairs whilst you sleep, if you're working out too, you need more sleep. 10 hours is probably pushing it, but certainly hit a good 8.

Squats are good if you have limited weights, the legs are a huge muscle group, so they will utilise more calories in repair and exercise. Never skip leg day.

Press ups are a very good body weight exercise working the chest, arms and core at the same time, don't underestimate them, but there's a lot to be said for ramping up the weights when things plateau.

Sit ups are actually not the best abdominal exercise, pretty isolated on what they achieve, crunches are okay, but russian twists for obliques, hanging leg raises for lower abs and planking for pretty much everything....not only abs, but delts, lats, legs etc!

Regardless of that, you can't out train a bad diet, so if you're currently losing weight, you're on the right path with calorific intake. Building muscle on a calorie deficit is incredibly difficult, you might get some hypertrophy, but the reality is your muscles will look bigger if you lose fat!

Finally, consistency is key....get something you enjoy and can do regularly and stick with it, don't read Mens Health one month and pick a routine, then choose another the month after from a different article.

Amen to that

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024