Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
London Marathon spectating 12:47 - Apr 21 with 1815 viewsSWGF

Off to watch Mrs SWGF in the marathon this weekend. Any previous spectators got any sneaky viewing spots for myself and two kids? Currently thinking just south of Tower Bridge (not too far into bandit country) and then around Embankment.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

London Marathon spectating on 12:50 - Apr 21 with 1797 viewsITFC_Forever

We're going down to watch my sister-in-law, going to aim for Canary Wharf (mile 15/18) for 10-ish and then catch the tube to Green Park for the finish.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

London Marathon spectating on 12:59 - Apr 21 with 1777 viewsFreddies_Ears

Just south of Tower Bridge is a perfect spot. Jamaica Road / Tooley St is always much quieter than the approach to the bridge itself, and there are loads of shops / cafes / bars for snacks and drinks. Also, being nearish the start, you get to see elite, fast club runners and fun runners over a relatively short period!

You can cross Tower Bridge Road to get to the Jub Line at London Bridge, using the underpass from Shad Thames to the riverside along to HMS Belfast.
London Marathon spectating on 13:03 - Apr 21 with 1772 viewsSWGF

London Marathon spectating on 12:59 - Apr 21 by Freddies_Ears

Just south of Tower Bridge is a perfect spot. Jamaica Road / Tooley St is always much quieter than the approach to the bridge itself, and there are loads of shops / cafes / bars for snacks and drinks. Also, being nearish the start, you get to see elite, fast club runners and fun runners over a relatively short period!

You can cross Tower Bridge Road to get to the Jub Line at London Bridge, using the underpass from Shad Thames to the riverside along to HMS Belfast.

That was exactly where I was thinking. Good stuff. Will pack the Kevlar.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?

London Marathon spectating on 13:07 - Apr 21 with 1770 viewsSteve_M

London Marathon spectating on 13:03 - Apr 21 by SWGF

That was exactly where I was thinking. Good stuff. Will pack the Kevlar.

The Draft House near there is quite good should you need to take the kids for a coke or something.

The other suggestion for viewing place is somewhere half way down The Embankment between Temple and Blackfriars - I've been there before and there have been quieter sections. Could be an option if you wanted to try see Mrs SWGF a second time.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

London Marathon spectating on 13:12 - Apr 21 with 1761 viewsNewcyBlue

London Marathon spectating on 13:07 - Apr 21 by Steve_M

The Draft House near there is quite good should you need to take the kids for a coke or something.

The other suggestion for viewing place is somewhere half way down The Embankment between Temple and Blackfriars - I've been there before and there have been quieter sections. Could be an option if you wanted to try see Mrs SWGF a second time.

Take the kids for coke? You Londoners are crazy! Don't do drugs SWGF Jr's ..

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

London Marathon spectating on 13:46 - Apr 21 with 1717 viewsLord_Lucan

I've always wondered this.

Anyone know if there is a pub where you can sit outside and watch it all happen?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

London Marathon spectating on 13:47 - Apr 21 with 1720 viewssoupytwist

Depending on how much you want to walk, get on trains with the kids and take a packed lunch, if you time it right you should be able to fit in seeing her three times before heading to the finish.

To do this when watching my mum compete (who generally does the course in about 5 hours so if Mrs SWGF is significantly quicker than this you might not be able to fit it all in) I have driven to Leytonstone Station and parked there. Take the central line to Stratford, change to the Jubilee line and go to Canada Water. That takes you to about mile 9 by Surrey Quays shopping centre. Some years I’ve been the Decathlon shop has had a small climbing wall outside with table tennis tables /mini football goals too which the kids enjoyed. There will be loads of people standing on the west side of Surrey Quays Road but if you pick a spot behind someone, they’ll generally leave once they’ve seen who they want to see and you can then take their place at the front and wait for Mrs SWGF.

Once the runners have passed there they go on a big loop for miles 10 and 11. Mile 11 is just before the Rotherhithe tunnel (closed on the day) so it’s possible to walk from Surrey Quays to Brunel Road if you haven’t gone too far down the road from Decathlon at mile 9 and arrive before your runner. There’s a roundabout by the entrance to the tunnel which is a good place to spectate.

After that they cross Tower Bridge and head off down the Highway, round the Isle of Dogs and back along the Highway towards the finish. You could go back to Canada Water at this point and head for Canary Wharf to see if you can spot Mrs SWGF on the Isle of Dogs. We tried that one year but I don’t really know that area so didn’t get a very good spot and while we did see my mum it was really noisy and she didn’t notice us. If you’re more familiar with the lie of the land round there you might be able to find somewhere decent.

So, what we’ve done other years is catch them on the Highway heading west. To do that you walk from the Rotherhithe tunnel entrance back up Brunel Road to Rotherhithe station or back to Canada Water to pick up the East London line. You’ll need to cross Brunel Road in all likelihood to get to Rotherhithe. Both stations will have queues to get back in. Take the East London line north to cross the river. You’ll have some time to kill here so you can get off at Wapping and walk east along Wapping High St to the Captain Kidd or have your packed lunch in the Waterside Gardens. If you do this you need to get back on the train and go one stop further north to Shadwell. You need to do that because the runners head west on the northerly side of the Highway (the opposite to normal traffic flow) and crossing the Highway isn’t possible. You can just get off at Shadwell from Rotherhithe/Canada Water if you want which means you can have your packed lunch at St George’s Gardens having pointed out the mural depicting the Cable Street riots to your children and give them a lesson in the importance of resisting fascism :-)

Then walk down to the Highway, pick a spot and keep an eye out for Mrs SWGF as she gets to mile 22. This bit is a really good place to watch because most of the runners are really feeling those 22 miles and appreciate any encouragement the spectators can give. If you’re lucky you might see a fellow Town fan running to encourage, or Norwich fan to abuse! Any runner called Daniel with their name on their shirt will get the full Alan Partridge treatment and the atmosphere is generally great.

Once you’ve seen Mrs SWGF you can head to Tower Hill and get on the Tube towards the finish, hopefully to meet up.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2017 13:48]
London Marathon spectating on 13:47 - Apr 21 with 1715 viewsSWGF

London Marathon spectating on 13:07 - Apr 21 by Steve_M

Cheers Steve.

Yeah, think I've been in the Draft House before (and the curry house next door). Will watch her there and then wander over the river while she disappears east.

Login to get fewer ads

London Marathon spectating on 13:50 - Apr 21 with 1706 viewsSWGF

London Marathon spectating on 13:46 - Apr 21 by Lord_Lucan

Anyone know if there is a pub where you can sit outside and watch it all happen?

My mate used to live on the Isle of Dogs and it was one of his favourite days of the year, as his entire local met up, got pi$$ed, had BBQs/discos/parties all day while watching the poor sods trudge past.

London Marathon spectating on 13:51 - Apr 21 with 1704 viewsSomethingBlue

The Highway is good because you'll see her go past twice. Though as someone who has run it, nothing can beat the roar you get over the final mile or so — a really special experience — so perhaps you'll want to join in on that!

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

London Marathon spectating on 13:52 - Apr 21 with 1701 viewsSWGF

London Marathon spectating on 13:47 - Apr 21 by soupytwist

Depending on how much you want to walk, get on trains with the kids and take a packed lunch, if you time it right you should be able to fit in seeing her three times before heading to the finish.

To do this when watching my mum compete (who generally does the course in about 5 hours so if Mrs SWGF is significantly quicker than this you might not be able to fit it all in) I have driven to Leytonstone Station and parked there. Take the central line to Stratford, change to the Jubilee line and go to Canada Water. That takes you to about mile 9 by Surrey Quays shopping centre. Some years I’ve been the Decathlon shop has had a small climbing wall outside with table tennis tables /mini football goals too which the kids enjoyed. There will be loads of people standing on the west side of Surrey Quays Road but if you pick a spot behind someone, they’ll generally leave once they’ve seen who they want to see and you can then take their place at the front and wait for Mrs SWGF.

Once the runners have passed there they go on a big loop for miles 10 and 11. Mile 11 is just before the Rotherhithe tunnel (closed on the day) so it’s possible to walk from Surrey Quays to Brunel Road if you haven’t gone too far down the road from Decathlon at mile 9 and arrive before your runner. There’s a roundabout by the entrance to the tunnel which is a good place to spectate.

After that they cross Tower Bridge and head off down the Highway, round the Isle of Dogs and back along the Highway towards the finish. You could go back to Canada Water at this point and head for Canary Wharf to see if you can spot Mrs SWGF on the Isle of Dogs. We tried that one year but I don’t really know that area so didn’t get a very good spot and while we did see my mum it was really noisy and she didn’t notice us. If you’re more familiar with the lie of the land round there you might be able to find somewhere decent.

So, what we’ve done other years is catch them on the Highway heading west. To do that you walk from the Rotherhithe tunnel entrance back up Brunel Road to Rotherhithe station or back to Canada Water to pick up the East London line. You’ll need to cross Brunel Road in all likelihood to get to Rotherhithe. Both stations will have queues to get back in. Take the East London line north to cross the river. You’ll have some time to kill here so you can get off at Wapping and walk east along Wapping High St to the Captain Kidd or have your packed lunch in the Waterside Gardens. If you do this you need to get back on the train and go one stop further north to Shadwell. You need to do that because the runners head west on the northerly side of the Highway (the opposite to normal traffic flow) and crossing the Highway isn’t possible. You can just get off at Shadwell from Rotherhithe/Canada Water if you want which means you can have your packed lunch at St George’s Gardens having pointed out the mural depicting the Cable Street riots to your children and give them a lesson in the importance of resisting fascism :-)

Then walk down to the Highway, pick a spot and keep an eye out for Mrs SWGF as she gets to mile 22. This bit is a really good place to watch because most of the runners are really feeling those 22 miles and appreciate any encouragement the spectators can give. If you’re lucky you might see a fellow Town fan running to encourage, or Norwich fan to abuse! Any runner called Daniel with their name on their shirt will get the full Alan Partridge treatment and the atmosphere is generally great.

Once you’ve seen Mrs SWGF you can head to Tower Hill and get on the Tube towards the finish, hopefully to meet up.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2017 13:48]

Bloody hell! Thanks soupytwist. Will take a look later. Was thinking about Shadwell. It's just dragging the kids around too much; they watched the Brighton marathon a couple of years ago so know what to expect. Just need a couple of bases to camp out. Heading down tomorrow morning and staying overnight so will have a leisurely breakfast while Mrs SWGF gets over to the start!

London Marathon spectating on 13:56 - Apr 21 with 1693 viewssoupytwist

London Marathon spectating on 13:52 - Apr 21 by SWGF

Bloody hell! Thanks soupytwist. Will take a look later. Was thinking about Shadwell. It's just dragging the kids around too much; they watched the Brighton marathon a couple of years ago so know what to expect. Just need a couple of bases to camp out. Heading down tomorrow morning and staying overnight so will have a leisurely breakfast while Mrs SWGF gets over to the start!

It probably sounds like a bit of a military operation but the time between Shadwell and the Highway makes for a leisurely break as long as your kids are of an age where they're not going to mind being dragged round a bit in between.
London Marathon spectating on 14:50 - Apr 21 with 1646 viewsgerard1947

I've not watched it but have run it a few times. My family have popped up at the Cutty Sark, Greenwich Naval College, Canary Warf and the end I seem to remember.
London Marathon spectating on 16:52 - Apr 21 with 1600 viewsITFC_Forever

There used to be a pub near Canary Wharf called City Pride (which I have just found out has been demolished) which had West Ferry Road go down one side and another one go past it on the other side, so the marathon runners passed either side of the pub.

We watched it from there a few years ago and had a decent view.

London Marathon spectating on 16:57 - Apr 21 with 1595 viewsSwailsey

I'll be there watching Mrs Swailes' brother.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

London Marathon spectating on 19:23 - Apr 21 with 1555 viewssohamblue74

London Marathon spectating on 16:57 - Apr 21 by Swailsey

I'll be there watching Mrs Swailes' brother.

I'm running it and this will be my first marathon at the age of 42. Have spectated at the Embankment around mile 24 to 25 for the last few years and agree the atmosphere is cracking there. Your support will mean a lot to all the runners especially towards the end. My race number is 43317 and i'll be in a light blue MACS vest. Give me a cheer if you see me please. Am hoping to do in just under 4 hours based on all the training. Am excited but nervous. Good luck fellow runners.
London Marathon spectating on 19:54 - Apr 21 with 1533 viewsgerard1947

London Marathon spectating on 19:23 - Apr 21 by sohamblue74

I'm running it and this will be my first marathon at the age of 42. Have spectated at the Embankment around mile 24 to 25 for the last few years and agree the atmosphere is cracking there. Your support will mean a lot to all the runners especially towards the end. My race number is 43317 and i'll be in a light blue MACS vest. Give me a cheer if you see me please. Am hoping to do in just under 4 hours based on all the training. Am excited but nervous. Good luck fellow runners.

Don't get too hung up on times, I was a bit when I ran my first. I had planned a schedule and tried to keep to it from the start, it didn't work like that. You can't get into your rhythm for the first few miles until it starts to thin out.

Anyway good luck, you'll enjoy it ... when you've finished!
London Marathon spectating on 21:05 - Apr 21 with 1494 viewsColin_Viljoen

London Marathon spectating on 16:52 - Apr 21 by ITFC_Forever

There used to be a pub near Canary Wharf called City Pride (which I have just found out has been demolished) which had West Ferry Road go down one side and another one go past it on the other side, so the marathon runners passed either side of the pub.

We watched it from there a few years ago and had a decent view.

I watched from there a few years back, never knew it was gone!!
London Marathon spectating on 21:33 - Apr 21 with 1481 viewsITFC_Forever

London Marathon spectating on 21:05 - Apr 21 by Colin_Viljoen

I watched from there a few years back, never knew it was gone!!

Neither did I until I looked it up this afternoon!

London Marathon spectating on 21:43 - Apr 21 with 1471 viewsvapour_trail

I ran it a few years ago. The first half of the course, all South of the river, are littered with boozers on the route, barbies going from early doors, live music in loads of the gardens, great atmosphere. Between miles 6&12 I'd go for on the route into town. The second half of leave alone unless you want the noise of the embankment, but no good for sitting in a pub garden and watching it roll past.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

London Marathon spectating on 21:45 - Apr 21 with 1466 viewsvapour_trail

London Marathon spectating on 13:51 - Apr 21 by SomethingBlue

The Highway is good because you'll see her go past twice. Though as someone who has run it, nothing can beat the roar you get over the final mile or so — a really special experience — so perhaps you'll want to join in on that!

The highway is a god foresaken place though.

At all costs avoid Canary wharf.

London Marathon spectating on 21:47 - Apr 21 with 1465 viewssohamblue74

London Marathon spectating on 19:54 - Apr 21 by gerard1947

Don't get too hung up on times, I was a bit when I ran my first. I had planned a schedule and tried to keep to it from the start, it didn't work like that. You can't get into your rhythm for the first few miles until it starts to thin out.

Anyway good luck, you'll enjoy it ... when you've finished!

Good advice. Appreciated. Certainly will not hurt to go steady for first few miles.
My sister has run London marathon several times before and said similar. Best to conserve energy rather than weave in and out of all the traffic at the start.
London Marathon spectating on 23:49 - Apr 21 with 1421 viewsCoastalblue

London Marathon spectating on 21:45 - Apr 21 by vapour_trail

The highway is a god foresaken place though.

At all costs avoid Canary wharf.

Agreed The Highway is, but stay the right side and two minutes walk sees you into Wapping with some lovely pubs and spots for coffee. Not to mention a lot of very nice small parks and gardens.

Head North of The Highway and you're on your own!

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

London Marathon spectating on 23:54 - Apr 21 with 1414 viewsvapour_trail

London Marathon spectating on 23:49 - Apr 21 by Coastalblue

Agreed The Highway is, but stay the right side and two minutes walk sees you into Wapping with some lovely pubs and spots for coffee. Not to mention a lot of very nice small parks and gardens.

Head North of The Highway and you're on your own!

Da yoof of shadwell are what I would describe as feral. Proper mentalists.

London Marathon spectating on 23:58 - Apr 21 with 1412 viewsCoastalblue

London Marathon spectating on 23:54 - Apr 21 by vapour_trail

Da yoof of shadwell are what I would describe as feral. Proper mentalists.

As my nearest tube station I get to experience them on a semi regular basis. It does seem to have stepped up a bit in the last six months or so too, feels like there's some hard drugs around now, definitely a grimmer crowd along with the feral now.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024