Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some local news for local people here 11:19 - Apr 27 with 945 viewsSteve_M

Presumably no-one at the EADT is old enough to remember regular examples of military planes flying over East Anglia courtesy of the RAF and USAF.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/did-you-see-this-plane-flying-low-over-ipswich-and-co

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Some local news for local people here on 11:28 - Apr 27 with 897 viewsPendejo

They may not be but I used to like watching the A10s fly over the area when Bentwaters was in its pomp.

maybe their sat nav was malfunctioning and they were following the A12?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Some local news for local people here on 11:29 - Apr 27 with 897 viewsblue_oyster

I think this is my favourite of the comments:

Yes! I saw! Around 7.30ish in Ipswich. I have to say it did scare the crap out of me before I realised what it was. I heard a strange loud noise and thought my oven was about to blow! I then looked out of my window and saw an amazing site! It was very low. My only disappointment was that I couldn't capture it in time. I had been trying to search it last night and today. So glad someone just sent me this link. Please don't judge me on my message. Where I live, this is something I don't see every day. Maybe i should get out more

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Some local news for local people here on 11:35 - Apr 27 with 881 viewsSteve_M

Some local news for local people here on 11:29 - Apr 27 by blue_oyster

I think this is my favourite of the comments:

Yes! I saw! Around 7.30ish in Ipswich. I have to say it did scare the crap out of me before I realised what it was. I heard a strange loud noise and thought my oven was about to blow! I then looked out of my window and saw an amazing site! It was very low. My only disappointment was that I couldn't capture it in time. I had been trying to search it last night and today. So glad someone just sent me this link. Please don't judge me on my message. Where I live, this is something I don't see every day. Maybe i should get out more

Although this one is succinct

And in other news, Cars seen driving down a road & A boat has been seen sailing on water!!

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Some local news for local people here on 11:37 - Apr 27 with 869 viewsMJallday

growing up in suffolk in the 80's, this was a common site. in fact we lived on the flight path into mildenhall, so we constantly saw the fast jets, including the blackbird.

fun times

addendum - we're abotu a mile from the SAS camp, so we get to see the heli's on a daily basis - always a good site
[Post edited 27 Apr 2017 11:38]

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Some local news for local people here on 11:53 - Apr 27 with 829 viewsmonytowbray

Grew up in Lakenheath, lived a mile away from the RAF base, so wouldn't bat an eyelid.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Some local news for local people here on 12:13 - Apr 27 with 802 viewsBasuco

Some local news for local people here on 11:37 - Apr 27 by MJallday

growing up in suffolk in the 80's, this was a common site. in fact we lived on the flight path into mildenhall, so we constantly saw the fast jets, including the blackbird.

fun times

addendum - we're abotu a mile from the SAS camp, so we get to see the heli's on a daily basis - always a good site
[Post edited 27 Apr 2017 11:38]

I used to work at RAF Mildenhall in the late 70's and the tankers taking off were very loud, I walked into a hanger via a rear door once and there was a Blackbird spy plane inside, the guy guarding the front door looked more schocked than I was. I made a hasty retreat as he had a gun. At the time Blackbird "did not exist" according to the USAF let alone be in a hanger in Mildenhall.
Some local news for local people here on 12:17 - Apr 27 with 794 viewsDecoy_Octopus

Ah I remember the old A10's flying about when I was a boy. Was in Hollesly the other week and saw the Osprey, I think (Plane looking thing with rotor blades on the wings) flying about. Magnificent
Some local news for local people here on 13:16 - Apr 27 with 725 viewstractorian

Some local news for local people here on 12:13 - Apr 27 by Basuco

I used to work at RAF Mildenhall in the late 70's and the tankers taking off were very loud, I walked into a hanger via a rear door once and there was a Blackbird spy plane inside, the guy guarding the front door looked more schocked than I was. I made a hasty retreat as he had a gun. At the time Blackbird "did not exist" according to the USAF let alone be in a hanger in Mildenhall.

When I was a National Serviceman stationed at Mildenhall (1958ish) there was a regular night flight from Turkey, up over Russia taking photos and testing defences, then down into Mildenhall via Norway.

In the evenings we'd be in the camp cinema when the two minute warning would go off. This was followed by a stampede along the back row, where the duty crews were seated, and, minutes later, B47s would be taking off right over the top of us. With World War III and the nuclear holocaust imminent, it was sometimes quite difficult to concentrate on the film.

This is probably still classified, so don't let on you heard it from me.

P.S. Those were the days, and to think we did it all so you youngsters could sleep safely in your beds.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024