Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is what I was saying the otehr day lads 15:10 - May 3 with 4691 viewschicoazul

70k a year is not rich. The idea that it is is propogated by vested political interests on the right and left.

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2017/may/03/how-do-britains-highest-earne

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 15:17 - May 3 with 2464 viewsJ2BLUE

“I can’t spend [all of my multimillion-pound income]. I mean, what can I do: buy some pictures? Yeah, but I already have pictures all over my house, so what should I do?"

#prayfortherich

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 15:19 - May 3 with 2459 viewsSteve_M

The key point is the difference between income and wealth isn't it. £70k is a good salary by almost any standards but it doesn't of itself make someone wealthy.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 15:21 - May 3 with 2444 viewschicoazul

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 15:17 - May 3 by J2BLUE

“I can’t spend [all of my multimillion-pound income]. I mean, what can I do: buy some pictures? Yeah, but I already have pictures all over my house, so what should I do?"

#prayfortherich

"Many of the 30 anonymous rich people interviewed for the study were keen to stress they do not begrudge those who are doing better; in particular, they admire entrepreneurs. Hard work is seen as key for achieving high earnings, and economic disadvantage was talked about as something that could be overcome through aspiration."

Big part of the problem with societal inequality there. I dont think inequality is necessarily a bad thing although I am open to persuasion but the trouble is with super-rich people who think that other people arent rich because they are malingerers.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 15:22 - May 3 with 2439 viewschicoazul

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 15:19 - May 3 by Steve_M

The key point is the difference between income and wealth isn't it. £70k is a good salary by almost any standards but it doesn't of itself make someone wealthy.

People shouted at me for saying exactly that. The big meanies.

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 15:26 - May 3 with 2418 viewsJ2BLUE

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 15:22 - May 3 by chicoazul

Several of us admitted £70k income wasn't rich but took issue with people implying spending had to rise with that income. A few people said a bigger incomes means you have a bigger house, nicer car, better holidays etc. Our point was simply that those are luxury optional extras rather than essentials.

On £70k a year i'd be living comfortably and buying my future time back as fast as possible with investments and saving.

Truly impaired.

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 15:27 - May 3 with 2413 viewsRocky

I wouldn't get out of bed for £70k a year.
This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 15:30 - May 3 with 2404 viewschicoazul

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 15:26 - May 3 by J2BLUE

Several of us admitted £70k income wasn't rich but took issue with people implying spending had to rise with that income. A few people said a bigger incomes means you have a bigger house, nicer car, better holidays etc. Our point was simply that those are luxury optional extras rather than essentials.

On £70k a year i'd be living comfortably and buying my future time back as fast as possible with investments and saving.

It's weird, and I hope you find out, but life does have a way of making you spend right up to your means. Women mate.

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 15:30 - May 3 with 2402 viewsSteve_M

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 15:26 - May 3 by J2BLUE

Plus

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 15:30 - May 3 with 2393 viewsdavblue

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 15:27 - May 3 by Rocky

I wouldn't get out of bed for £70k a year.

when is collection day?
This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 15:38 - May 3 with 2351 viewsDarth_Koont

Don't be soft.

Pronouns: He/Him

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 15:43 - May 3 with 2326 viewsNo9

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 15:21 - May 3 by chicoazul

"Many of the 30 anonymous rich people interviewed for the study were keen to stress they do not begrudge those who are doing better; in particular, they admire entrepreneurs. Hard work is seen as key for achieving high earnings, and economic disadvantage was talked about as something that could be overcome through aspiration."

Big part of the problem with societal inequality there. I dont think inequality is necessarily a bad thing although I am open to persuasion but the trouble is with super-rich people who think that other people arent rich because they are malingerers.

Aspiration is a very good thing and helped when you live ina meritocracy but the UK ins not a meritocratic place is it?
Bullingdon rules etc.
This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 15:57 - May 3 with 2276 viewsipswich78

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 15:30 - May 3 by chicoazul

It's weird, and I hope you find out, but life does have a way of making you spend right up to your means. Women mate.

Agreed, different people - different things. You buy a bigger house, with a bigger mortgage but at the end it's worth more. You like to travel, you want to see the world. That's not cheap. You buy nicer food, nicer clothes.

You end up agreeing that your wife can give up work to raise the children... that costs more.

It's a very nice idea in theory but the reality for most is very different. Especially if you have gone without a lot of these things in the past.

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 15:58 - May 3 with 2270 viewsmonytowbray

F*cking hell.

If I moan about the fact my generation gets a bum deal on here some call me privileged, lazy and entitled.

Yet here we are crying for those well off in life.

TWTDLOL.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 16:07 - May 3 with 2233 viewsNo9

Don't overlook the fact that is you are on £70k p.a. you are in the UK's top 5% of wage earners.
So it is more exclusive than you make out
This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 16:08 - May 3 with 2226 viewsNo9

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 16:07 - May 3 by No9

Don't overlook the fact that is you are on £70k p.a. you are in the UK's top 5% of wage earners.
So it is more exclusive than you make out

Sorry i should have also included this from the Independent

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/70000-john-mcdonnell-salary-hmrc-rich-top-5-
This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 16:13 - May 3 with 2209 viewsvapour_trail

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 15:22 - May 3 by chicoazul

There weren't really many people shouting. It was an interesting thread.

I read that article earlier. Takeout was that no matter how much some people have, someone else will make them feel inadequate.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 16:21 - May 3 with 2177 viewsJ2BLUE

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 15:57 - May 3 by ipswich78

Agreed, different people - different things. You buy a bigger house, with a bigger mortgage but at the end it's worth more. You like to travel, you want to see the world. That's not cheap. You buy nicer food, nicer clothes.

You end up agreeing that your wife can give up work to raise the children... that costs more.

It's a very nice idea in theory but the reality for most is very different. Especially if you have gone without a lot of these things in the past.

All of that is a choice which is the point i'm making. I'm simply saying that as income rises it's not compulsory to raise expenses. Surely you agree with this? I don't care about your perception of 'reality', just that buying a nicer car and a bigger house if a choice.

Truly impaired.

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 16:27 - May 3 with 2162 viewschicoazul

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 16:13 - May 3 by vapour_trail

There weren't really many people shouting. It was an interesting thread.

I read that article earlier. Takeout was that no matter how much some people have, someone else will make them feel inadequate.

Oh God I know they werent shouting.

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 16:31 - May 3 with 2150 viewsipswich78

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 16:21 - May 3 by J2BLUE

All of that is a choice which is the point i'm making. I'm simply saying that as income rises it's not compulsory to raise expenses. Surely you agree with this? I don't care about your perception of 'reality', just that buying a nicer car and a bigger house if a choice.

Oh fully agree with what you are saying and some (not all) is down to choice. However, based on my own experiences and people around me it's not often that type of thing happens.

Getting married, children, education, need a bigger house (for children), need a bigger car (for children), need two cars, want a bigger garden for the family etc. Lots of variable in your life will change.

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

on 16:32 - May 3 with 2133 views_

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 15:30 - May 3 by chicoazul

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 16:35 - May 3 with 2123 viewsSwansea_Blue

It's all about context. To some poor dab scraping around for hours on a zero hours contract at the minimum wage, £70k would seem a fortune. With the average wage is £27,600 it's fairly obvious that there are LOTS of people who would class £70k as rich. If/when they get there, their views may well change depending on their situation. However, I do agree it doesn't go very far when you bring things like housing into the equation.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 16:42 - May 3 with 2100 viewsStokieBlue

Isn't 70k just above McDonnell MP salary?

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 16:43 - May 3 with 2092 viewsJ2BLUE

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 16:42 - May 3 by StokieBlue

Isn't 70k just above McDonnell MP salary?

SB

£74,000 for an MP

Truly impaired.

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 16:44 - May 3 with 2090 viewschicoazul

on 16:32 - May 3 by _

How would you know? No offence.

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 16:47 - May 3 with 2074 viewsStokieBlue

This is what I was saying the otehr day lads on 16:43 - May 3 by J2BLUE

£74,000 for an MP

Gotten a pay rise then, well deserved actually, horrible job.

Glad he at least put himself in that bracket.

I see from the article that JC is now part of the 1% he dislikes.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024