Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Be careful what you wish for" 07:32 - Oct 31 with 3682 viewskeanekipper

Let me start by saying i do think micks time at the club has run its course (but im not calling for him to be sacked as you cant argue with the posistion we are in) and should be called time on as soon as the season is mathematically resolved (cant go up and cant go down)

But anything earlier could be suicide with the players still obviously fully behind the manager. Birmingham last season is the perfect example of where we are currently, an unglamorous team who compete and are in a great position but one part of the club is seeking a better style of football in birminghams case it was the board and in our case its the fans.

So in summary i'm happy evens isnt upsetting the apple cart just yet but once the season is finished he should get a new man in for a bedding in period before the start of next season, but who knows magic mick may get us promoted
"Be careful what you wish for" on 07:40 - Oct 31 with 3654 viewsmaccyd9

I wouldn't be too presumptuous that the players are all behind the manager.
"Be careful what you wish for" on 07:46 - Oct 31 with 3642 viewschristiand

This whole phrase: 'Be careful what you wish for' is just scare-mongering IMO. Instead of looking at it negatively thinking no one else in the world could possibly do such a good job as MM, perhaps someone out there could do equally as well or even better and play a more eye catching style of football with the same level of resources?

I agree with your sentiments Keanekipper, 'if' MM's time is finally at an end here, soon as our status is confirmed the time is right for the change otherwise the end of the season will just drift. I'm just not convinced 100% that this season will be his last. ME and MM seem well suited, so why would ME rock the boat? The current arrangement works for him. However, I do think if it continues the way it is going I'd imagine seasons tickets will take another hit next summer. Something has got to give because things are going stale at our club.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

"Be careful what you wish for" on 08:24 - Oct 31 with 3577 viewsWestover

I don't like the way we play but what would have happened the season Mick took over if we had not got him in, we would have gone down and could still be there I also want a change but who could take us forward without the millions being spent which in it's self is no guarantee does ME have any clue as to who appoint? No IMO after the first two so if Mick does go it will be a gamble I just hope he gets it right.
"Be careful what you wish for" on 10:38 - Oct 31 with 3495 viewskeanekipper

"Be careful what you wish for" on 08:24 - Oct 31 by Westover

I don't like the way we play but what would have happened the season Mick took over if we had not got him in, we would have gone down and could still be there I also want a change but who could take us forward without the millions being spent which in it's self is no guarantee does ME have any clue as to who appoint? No IMO after the first two so if Mick does go it will be a gamble I just hope he gets it right.

i agree i think we have to very thankful for what mick has done and continues to do, but its just gone stale. Very much a feel of the fans are fed up with mick and vice versa.
"Be careful what you wish for" on 12:35 - Oct 31 with 3421 viewsblueblood66

They are too scared to say otherwise
"Be careful what you wish for" on 12:36 - Oct 31 with 3413 viewsSpruceMoose

"Be careful what you wish for" on 07:40 - Oct 31 by maccyd9

Hi Bersant!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

"Be careful what you wish for" on 13:00 - Oct 31 with 3389 viewsBadgerBajner

MM did a great job keeping us up. The need was to keep things tight, frustrate the better sides (which was most of the division at the time!), nick goals if necessary and pick up points where you can to stay up. Job done.

Have we really moved much further forward since those days? Do we want to forever play like a team trying to avoid relegation, even when we have been challenging at the top?

My frustration with MM is that he has not developed the football over time. Just stubbornly stuck to the same format, and the dreary performances continue. Don't anybody roll out the usual, he hasn't had the money to bring in the right players. If he was given £30M, do you think he would go for flair and creative players, or hard working players who do the dirty things well? If Bournemouth sacked Howe (it might be coming), and we took him, do you think he would be saying that as he has no money to spend, he is going to play hoofball? Doubt it. We play the way we do, we have the type of players we do, because that's what MM wants.

The thing is, to change style is probably going to mean taking an initial step back to adjust and understand it. Can we afford to take a step back from where we are? It's going to be a gamble whatever happens. I suspect those scaremongering with careful what you wish for, will be bleating as soon as a new man comes in and has a dodgy patch of results.
"Be careful what you wish for" on 13:08 - Oct 31 with 3372 viewsblue75

We needed McCarthy to save us then stabilise the ship. Then after 18 months I’d have moved him on as where we are now was always going to happen. He was the wrong manager at the right time!! I’ll always be grateful for his first 18 months but after that I just want to forget. As for who’s next I wouldn’t want to guess, but I don’t want to keep watching the dross dishes out every week at the moment. Imagine what would happen if we went up!!!

Poll: Should McCarthy be sacked after telling Ipswich fans where to go?

Login to get fewer ads

"Be careful what you wish for" on 13:12 - Oct 31 with 3356 viewsBackToRussia

Alternatively, we'll wish for whatever the fook we want.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

"Be careful what you wish for" on 13:15 - Oct 31 with 3341 viewsBrixtonBlue

"Be careful what you wish for" on 07:40 - Oct 31 by maccyd9

Is there any evidence that they aren't?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

You want to forget.... on 13:18 - Oct 31 with 3327 viewsBloots

"Be careful what you wish for" on 13:08 - Oct 31 by blue75

We needed McCarthy to save us then stabilise the ship. Then after 18 months I’d have moved him on as where we are now was always going to happen. He was the wrong manager at the right time!! I’ll always be grateful for his first 18 months but after that I just want to forget. As for who’s next I wouldn’t want to guess, but I don’t want to keep watching the dross dishes out every week at the moment. Imagine what would happen if we went up!!!

....getting to the playoffs?

Seems a bit weird.

Weirdo.

AKA - "Elite Pete"

"Be careful what you wish for" on 13:53 - Oct 31 with 3261 viewsSwansea_Blue

"Be careful what you wish for" on 13:00 - Oct 31 by BadgerBajner

MM did a great job keeping us up. The need was to keep things tight, frustrate the better sides (which was most of the division at the time!), nick goals if necessary and pick up points where you can to stay up. Job done.

Have we really moved much further forward since those days? Do we want to forever play like a team trying to avoid relegation, even when we have been challenging at the top?

My frustration with MM is that he has not developed the football over time. Just stubbornly stuck to the same format, and the dreary performances continue. Don't anybody roll out the usual, he hasn't had the money to bring in the right players. If he was given £30M, do you think he would go for flair and creative players, or hard working players who do the dirty things well? If Bournemouth sacked Howe (it might be coming), and we took him, do you think he would be saying that as he has no money to spend, he is going to play hoofball? Doubt it. We play the way we do, we have the type of players we do, because that's what MM wants.

The thing is, to change style is probably going to mean taking an initial step back to adjust and understand it. Can we afford to take a step back from where we are? It's going to be a gamble whatever happens. I suspect those scaremongering with careful what you wish for, will be bleating as soon as a new man comes in and has a dodgy patch of results.

That sums up where we are perfectly with regards to Mick. The only other thing to throw into the equation is ME's poor track record of choosing managers. That strengths the case of the 'be careful what you wish for' argument. And that's a horrible place to be - it just leads to stagnation and apathy.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

"Be careful what you wish for" on 14:15 - Oct 31 with 3224 viewsTheBlueBarca

"Be careful what you wish for" on 13:53 - Oct 31 by Swansea_Blue

That sums up where we are perfectly with regards to Mick. The only other thing to throw into the equation is ME's poor track record of choosing managers. That strengths the case of the 'be careful what you wish for' argument. And that's a horrible place to be - it just leads to stagnation and apathy.

Well all know it's going to be someone like a Gordon Strachan and not a Nigel Clough, even Mick knows that because our owner is a complete tool.

Everyone on this forum is always wrong.
Poll: Should Tommy Smith be awarded a Testimonial at Ipswich?

"Be careful what you wish for" on 14:29 - Oct 31 with 3205 viewsBrixtonBlue

"Be careful what you wish for" on 14:15 - Oct 31 by TheBlueBarca

Well all know it's going to be someone like a Gordon Strachan and not a Nigel Clough, even Mick knows that because our owner is a complete tool.

If Mick leaves on bitter terms I wonder if he'll deliberately stitch us up by recommending someone he knows won't do as well as him on a tight budget.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

"Be careful what you wish for" on 14:30 - Oct 31 with 3203 viewsSuperfrans

"Be careful what you wish for" on 07:46 - Oct 31 by christiand

This whole phrase: 'Be careful what you wish for' is just scare-mongering IMO. Instead of looking at it negatively thinking no one else in the world could possibly do such a good job as MM, perhaps someone out there could do equally as well or even better and play a more eye catching style of football with the same level of resources?

I agree with your sentiments Keanekipper, 'if' MM's time is finally at an end here, soon as our status is confirmed the time is right for the change otherwise the end of the season will just drift. I'm just not convinced 100% that this season will be his last. ME and MM seem well suited, so why would ME rock the boat? The current arrangement works for him. However, I do think if it continues the way it is going I'd imagine seasons tickets will take another hit next summer. Something has got to give because things are going stale at our club.

The phrase "be careful what you wish for" doesn't imply that no-one else in the world could do the same job - it implies that, just as there may be a better manager, there is just as good chance that there is a manager who could do far worse. The reason why so many of us fear the latter is because so many of us believe McCarthy is doing a remarkable job to keep us competitive given our resourcing.

It seems to me that those people who are calling for McCarthy's head and abused him from the terrace on Saturday either don't care if we decline, or simply can't imagine it happening.

I fear life post-Mick for a couple of simple reasons. For one, having seen Keane and Jewell struggling to get us competitive (two managers with pedigree for getting clubs promoted from this division) I can't simply forget that it is clearly a tougher job than it might appear to some. Of course, the man who appointed both those managers will also have to appoint the next one.

But, more than that, I look around football and see many many other clubs which have been like us, our size, roughly our fanbase, even with our history and heritage (and therefore pulling power) and who have been dragged into League One and (in some cases) beyond.

Of course, we could end up doing a Huddersfield and getting promoted with a smart new manager and little bit more investment - but going the opposite way is far more common. If you name the clubs who have got promoted to the Prem in the past 5 years on minimal resources (like ours) I can name you far more who have ended up in League One.

You know, we get loads of flack for being 16 years in this division and not getting promoted - but steering clear of relegation from this division during that time has been a genuine achievement, especially given the two managers we had before McCarthy and the level of resourcing we have had.

Personally, I have no doubt that, in the first five years post McCarthy, there will be far greater chance of us being relegated than being promoted.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Pep? Jose? (n/t) on 14:32 - Oct 31 with 3192 viewsBloots

"Be careful what you wish for" on 14:29 - Oct 31 by BrixtonBlue

If Mick leaves on bitter terms I wonder if he'll deliberately stitch us up by recommending someone he knows won't do as well as him on a tight budget.

AKA - "Elite Pete"

"Be careful what you wish for" on 15:22 - Oct 31 with 3128 viewsbraveblue

"Be careful what you wish for" on 10:38 - Oct 31 by keanekipper

i agree i think we have to very thankful for what mick has done and continues to do, but its just gone stale. Very much a feel of the fans are fed up with mick and vice versa.

Sorry, what has he done? Must have missed that. 5 years in, tiny crowds, constant digs at fans, dreadful football. Great achievement!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024