Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Today is the 56th anniversary of the day that Ipswich Town became Champions of 06:45 - Apr 28 with 2620 viewsPJH

England.
My heartfelt thanks to:-

Alf Ramsey
Roy Bailey
Larry Carberry
John Compton
Billy Baxter
Andy Nelson
John Elsworthy
Roy Stephenson
Dougie Moran
Ray Crawford
Ted Phillips
Jimmy Leadbetter

Only four of those gentlemen are still with us but they all live on in my memory.
Thanks to you all for the joy that you brought to the lives of an eleven year old me,my late Dad,my Mum and the thousands of others that were lucky enough to witness the wonderful season that Ipswich Town became Champions of England.
Today is the 56th anniversary of the day that Ipswich Town became Champions of on 07:47 - Apr 28 with 2561 viewsKeno

cheers PJH

it would be really good if any others who were there can add their thoughts to this today
[Post edited 28 Apr 2018 7:59]

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Today is the 56th anniversary of the day that Ipswich Town became Champions of on 07:55 - Apr 28 with 2545 viewsPJH

Today is the 56th anniversary of the day that Ipswich Town became Champions of on 07:47 - Apr 28 by Keno

cheers PJH

it would be really good if any others who were there can add their thoughts to this today
[Post edited 28 Apr 2018 7:59]

You have worded that as though you think I made it all up!

Yes, it would be nice if others that "were there" add their thoughts.
Today is the 56th anniversary of the day that Ipswich Town became Champions of on 07:56 - Apr 28 with 2537 viewsHerbivore

Wait, what? We won the league?!

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Today is the 56th anniversary of the day that Ipswich Town became Champions of on 08:00 - Apr 28 with 2528 viewsKeno

Today is the 56th anniversary of the day that Ipswich Town became Champions of on 07:55 - Apr 28 by PJH

You have worded that as though you think I made it all up!

Yes, it would be nice if others that "were there" add their thoughts.

sorry!!

Not intended I can assure you

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Today is the 56th anniversary of the day that Ipswich Town became Champions of on 08:07 - Apr 28 with 2519 viewsPJH

Today is the 56th anniversary of the day that Ipswich Town became Champions of on 08:00 - Apr 28 by Keno

sorry!!

Not intended I can assure you

I know, although there are still seemingly some that do not believe that it happened.
Today is the 56th anniversary of the day that Ipswich Town became Champions of on 08:10 - Apr 28 with 2501 viewsBad_Boy_Mark

An unbelievable achievement!

To win promotion from the old 2nd Division and to then win the 1st Division the very next season is a feat that will never be repeated. In modern day terms, it would be like Wolves winning the Premier League next season...

I've read every programme from this wonderful season and it truly was something special.

During this illustrious season, we played 3 games in 4 days! Good Friday, Easter Saturday and then Easter Monday - these guys are true heroes!
Today is the 56th anniversary of the day that Ipswich Town became Champions of on 08:44 - Apr 28 with 2462 viewsBloomBlue

For me the amazing thing of that season is I always felt we would win the league that season, Sir Alf filled everyone with that confidence. An amazing man Sir Alf never had another like him at this club since and I don't think I will live to see another.
It felt like it would be the first of many league wins for my club
Today is the 56th anniversary of the day that Ipswich Town became Champions of on 08:46 - Apr 28 with 2457 viewsWestover

Wonderful times but without a carrier ending injury my late uncle might have been in that team he was Basil Acres and played right back but also left back, in 1958 the last game of the season away at Southampton Tom Garneys was injured so Basil played centre forward Town won 2 1 and he scored the winning goal and made Town div three champions, Ramsey made Basil captain but the injury playing against Swansea ended his carrier he retired in June 1960 but worked for the club for many years.
I thought that might interest one or two of us older supporters :-)
Login to get fewer ads

Today is the 56th anniversary of the day that Ipswich Town became Champions of on 08:47 - Apr 28 with 2450 viewsIP12

Today is the 56th anniversary of the day that Ipswich Town became Champions of on 08:07 - Apr 28 by PJH

I know, although there are still seemingly some that do not believe that it happened.

The problem is that football / soccer did not start in the UK until the arrival of the 'Premier League'. But did it happen. Yes it did because I was there as well. Having said that, the abiding memory is not of the match itself but the fact that many of the shop windows in the Thoroughfare in sleepy little Woodbridge (yes it was sleepy then) were decorated with Town flags and pictures on Monday morning.
Today is the 56th anniversary of the day that Ipswich Town became Champions of on 09:29 - Apr 28 with 2395 viewsgetawig

Didn't Sir Alf pass this day 1999?
Today is the 56th anniversary of the day that Ipswich Town became Champions of on 11:06 - Apr 28 with 2344 viewsbluebudgie

How lucky they were to have been there at Portman Rd that day to witness what is and always will be THE greatest achievement of any football club, from non-league to Champions of England in the space of 23 years! it's surprising a film has not been made of this rags to riches story.That's why I will always be proud to be a supporter of Ipswich Town and we have so much to thank Sir Alf Ramsey and the Cobbolds for.
Today is the 56th anniversary of the day that Ipswich Town became Champions of on 11:07 - Apr 28 with 2339 viewsbluebudgie

I should have added to my posting that out of the 23 years Town had been in the Football League, football was suspended for 6 years due to WW2, , so in essence, Ipswich Town became Champions of England after just 17 full seasons, which makes Sir Alf's achievement all the more remarkable!
[Post edited 28 Apr 2018 11:09]
Today is the 56th anniversary of the day that Ipswich Town became Champions of on 11:11 - Apr 28 with 2330 viewsbluebudgie

Today is the 56th anniversary of the day that Ipswich Town became Champions of on 08:46 - Apr 28 by Westover

Wonderful times but without a carrier ending injury my late uncle might have been in that team he was Basil Acres and played right back but also left back, in 1958 the last game of the season away at Southampton Tom Garneys was injured so Basil played centre forward Town won 2 1 and he scored the winning goal and made Town div three champions, Ramsey made Basil captain but the injury playing against Swansea ended his carrier he retired in June 1960 but worked for the club for many years.
I thought that might interest one or two of us older supporters :-)

Westover I remember Basil Acres well, he had a shop along Norwich Rd after he retired from football, and as you said a fine footballer
Today is the 56th anniversary of the day that Ipswich Town became Champions of on 12:15 - Apr 28 with 2282 viewsWestover

Today is the 56th anniversary of the day that Ipswich Town became Champions of on 11:11 - Apr 28 by bluebudgie

Westover I remember Basil Acres well, he had a shop along Norwich Rd after he retired from football, and as you said a fine footballer

Yes you are right it was a pet shop, as I said he worked for Town for years after he finished playing football and Town presented him with a new car.
Today is the 56th anniversary of the day that Ipswich Town became Champions of on 12:22 - Apr 28 with 2270 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Today is the 56th anniversary of the day that Ipswich Town became Champions of on 08:07 - Apr 28 by PJH

The problem is since Sky developed the Premier League, it is as if anything that happened before never happened.

I am too young to remember any of our great triumphs which is partly why I am so grateful for Wembley 2000 and the European tours that followed. For me TWTD. I envy those who lived through the 70s and 80s, let alone those who remember 61. I also admire those who cannot recall the early 2000s and stick with us. Let's hope good times are just around the corner again.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024