Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Getting there? 10:49 - Aug 22 with 950 viewsjayessess

Am I alone in thinking yesterday was a bit closer to what we're hoping to see than the previous 3?

When we got on top against Morecambe, Burton and Cheltenham it was very much sterile domination. We won territory but didn't look especially threatening. Yesterday, we carried genuine attacking threat every time we went forward. We've created 3 big chances to their 1, had lots of other decent openings. We've found effective ways to move the ball up the pitch, especially Harper's ability to carry the ball in tight spaces, plus Coulson and KVY's ball carrying. They've dominated the shot count, but largely because they were shooting on sight. I didn't think it was particularly threatening until we destroyed our momentum with the 2nd equaliser.

Our work off the ball is still very much work in progress, the press isn't very coordinated and didn't do the job it was supposed to do on MK Dons often enough. The defensive shape gets confused at times, but both of those will come.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Getting there? on 10:54 - Aug 22 with 910 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I'm with you.

I'm worried a little that Harper and Evans lose some of their discipline as the game progresses. But a full week on the training pitch will do us the world of good now.

If we progress again against AFCW then I'll be happy.

Much of the venting at the moment all comes down to the HMS Piss The League feeling pre-season, the reality is, this might take us two years. We'll go up, maybe this year, but it could be next.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Getting there? on 10:58 - Aug 22 with 878 viewschrismakin

Yep agree, It was the best of the rest imo

The Evans, Harper partnership might not work, it might just be raw, but they're not quite getting each others roles at the moment and not working together. If it is to work and it's just a matter of time, then it's certainly looking promising. As you say, there was more purpose to us yesturday and a bit more cohesion on certain phases of play.
I did enjoy the number of times we got the ball in the box, and I enjoyed how Edwards put them in what i'd call the danger zone, were defenders can hook it into their own goal.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Getting there? on 11:12 - Aug 22 with 817 viewsSharkey

Getting there? on 10:58 - Aug 22 by chrismakin

Yep agree, It was the best of the rest imo

The Evans, Harper partnership might not work, it might just be raw, but they're not quite getting each others roles at the moment and not working together. If it is to work and it's just a matter of time, then it's certainly looking promising. As you say, there was more purpose to us yesturday and a bit more cohesion on certain phases of play.
I did enjoy the number of times we got the ball in the box, and I enjoyed how Edwards put them in what i'd call the danger zone, were defenders can hook it into their own goal.

Looking at your last sentence - have you perchance seen the Cambridge v Burton highlights?
Getting there? on 11:15 - Aug 22 with 794 viewschrismakin

Getting there? on 11:12 - Aug 22 by Sharkey

Looking at your last sentence - have you perchance seen the Cambridge v Burton highlights?

Just looked, exactly what i mean lol

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Getting there? on 11:19 - Aug 22 with 777 viewspointofblue

But how much was that down to the opposition’s style of play. Morecambe went with a lock block after taking the lead and made it difficult for us to get through the lines; so did Burton in the second half and Cheltenham to a degree. MK Dons played expansive football which left us more room to get behind and take advantage of the space.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Getting there? on 11:23 - Aug 22 with 752 viewschrismakin

Getting there? on 11:19 - Aug 22 by pointofblue

But how much was that down to the opposition’s style of play. Morecambe went with a lock block after taking the lead and made it difficult for us to get through the lines; so did Burton in the second half and Cheltenham to a degree. MK Dons played expansive football which left us more room to get behind and take advantage of the space.

That'll be the key, breaking down those that sit.

No all teams will be able to sit, esp if we do go ahead.

The likes of Cheltenham can sit all day long against 'bigger' sides as they know the odds on a long throw opportunity isn't far away.

I think things we need to sort asap are the corners. Of course player movement in the box comes with time, and certain 'plays' etc. But the delivery has been terrible

Getting there? on 11:25 - Aug 22 with 744 viewspointofblue

Getting there? on 11:23 - Aug 22 by chrismakin

That'll be the key, breaking down those that sit.

No all teams will be able to sit, esp if we do go ahead.

The likes of Cheltenham can sit all day long against 'bigger' sides as they know the odds on a long throw opportunity isn't far away.

I think things we need to sort asap are the corners. Of course player movement in the box comes with time, and certain 'plays' etc. But the delivery has been terrible

Other than a couple of abysmal ones from Evans, and a short one which Edwards lost possession from, I thought our corner delivery was ok yesterday but we struggled to get on the end of them.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Getting there? on 11:54 - Aug 22 with 664 viewsjayessess

Getting there? on 11:19 - Aug 22 by pointofblue

I'm not wholly convinced that any of those teams low blocked us to death, really. They defended when they had to, but Cheltenham and Burton definitely committed plenty of numbers in attack when they got it and left spaces in behind. Even when MK Dons retreated into shape, I still thought we looked a lot more threatening.

We'll see, but I can definitely see us inflicting a proper hiding on Wimbledon with a similar attacking performance, provided we don't self-sabotage again.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Login to get fewer ads

Getting there? on 12:00 - Aug 22 with 641 viewsMetal_Hacker

Yeah I think so

Strange start I have e to admit and fundamentally the main issue and has been from the Burton game is the midfield. Plain for all to see. Apart from Evans’ howler yesterday , both he and Harper IMHO have been a massive upgrade but the system somehow isn’t working

That aside on another day the three occasions I remember Edwards slotting a ball along the 6 yard box with no one there to convert we’d have won 5-2

Small margins I know but these margins need closing and quickly for us to start and truly believe

Poll: If it were one or the other

Getting there? on 12:45 - Aug 22 with 555 viewsCuffy81

Very good post

We are learning on the pitch at the moment, not the the training ground.

Agree our press is not coordinated, one of the key strengths of 4231 is that you have the players up the pitch to press and win the ball back high up the pitch, when we did get it right we created something - Burns chance, Whilst Hdlaky and Evans were culpable Burns HAS to score that, and at 2-0 not even we could find a way to fark it up.

MK outnumbered us in midfield, first half Parrott and Twine had a lot of the ball but I thought we done OK they didn't create much, second half was more of a struggle

Both Harper and Evans are ball playing midfields, they are being asked to cover the full backs when we lose possession which isn't their natural strength.

Our second goal showed what we are trying to do in possession, full back high and wide, good ball inside to fraser who has found space inside the box.

We will improve - a week on the training ground will will help greatly - we just need to get through 90 minutes without an individual error which results in a goal conceded
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024