Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Johnson's opening speech. 12:49 - Nov 1 with 1782 viewsNthQldITFC

For all that I have big criticisms of Johnson's actions in the past, he gave a pretty good speech there. We need co-operation even with people we don't usually agree with.

Rather than saying "Ah yes, but look how he has lied and let us down in the past" I'm saying to myself "Good speech, let's build on that and get something happening."

I'm playing the ball, not the man.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

'I'm playing the ball, not the man.' on 12:55 - Nov 1 with 1414 viewsfactual_blue

Like this you mean?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Johnson's opening speech. on 12:56 - Nov 1 with 1408 viewspointofblue

Johnson can be exceptional with words, particularly with speeches where he can plan, but not actions. How can he make a plea to defend the climate yet have his chancellor cut duties on domestic flights, for example?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Johnson's opening speech. on 13:00 - Nov 1 with 1367 viewsfooters

Johnson's opening speech. on 12:56 - Nov 1 by pointofblue

Johnson can be exceptional with words, particularly with speeches where he can plan, but not actions. How can he make a plea to defend the climate yet have his chancellor cut duties on domestic flights, for example?

This is it with him, it's all pantomime that isn't borne out in any of his policies. Will be interesting to see what, if anything, will come of it in concrete terms, but we've been here before many, many times

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Johnson's opening speech. on 13:02 - Nov 1 with 1354 viewsNthQldITFC

If there's enough positive momentum coming out of this conference, perhaps he will backtrack on that absolutely awful decision?

Johnson's opening speech. on 13:04 - Nov 1 with 1324 viewspointofblue

Johnson's opening speech. on 13:02 - Nov 1 by NthQldITFC

If there's enough positive momentum coming out of this conference, perhaps he will backtrack on that absolutely awful decision?

Maybe the leaders will agree jointly to raise rates on domestic flights, which will annul that part of the budget. That’s the only hope anyway.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Johnson's opening speech. on 13:05 - Nov 1 with 1322 viewsXYZ

He'll focus group which way public thinking is heading, then run to the front and shout "follow me".
Johnson's opening speech. on 13:07 - Nov 1 with 1308 viewsfactual_blue

Johnson's opening speech. on 13:00 - Nov 1 by footers

This is it with him, it's all pantomime that isn't borne out in any of his policies. Will be interesting to see what, if anything, will come of it in concrete terms, but we've been here before many, many times

Let's hope that, in the interests of the environment, he'll be growing this concrete locally, and not flown in, which would cause a massive carbon footprint.

Johnson's opening speech. on 13:08 - Nov 1 with 1291 viewsfooters

But it's not like it just popped out of nowhere, is it? He knew it was coming yet still made that decision. So I'd still trust him as far as I could throw him, and I'm no caber tosser. Just the regular kind.

Login to get fewer ads

Johnson's opening speech. on 13:14 - Nov 1 with 1261 viewshomer_123

Words are meaningless unless followed up with action.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Johnson's opening speech. on 13:17 - Nov 1 with 1244 viewsfactual_blue

Johnson's opening speech. on 13:08 - Nov 1 by footers

But it's not like it just popped out of nowhere, is it? He knew it was coming yet still made that decision. So I'd still trust him as far as I could throw him, and I'm no caber tosser. Just the regular kind.

boris often has trouble with his thing popping out.

Johnson's opening speech. on 13:19 - Nov 1 with 1227 viewshomer_123

Johnson's opening speech. on 13:17 - Nov 1 by factual_blue

boris often has trouble with his thing popping out.

More popping in and out isn't it?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Johnson's opening speech. on 13:20 - Nov 1 with 1223 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is this the same PM who's engaged on a crash course with France and the EU on the NI border issue and fishing rights? Given his track record, I'd only ever judge him on his actions and not his words.

It would be good if we can build on those words though, of course.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Johnson's opening speech. on 13:22 - Nov 1 with 1202 viewsPinewoodblue

The tax on domestic flights is disproportionate. You pay more for return flights within the UK than you do on a flight to Barcelona.

Both Easyjet and Ryanair have plans to go electric as far as ground services are concerned, every little helps.

What would make sense is have a tariff that increases the more flights you make in a year. There is not a reasonable alternative to some domestic flights. Will be flying to City of Derry Airport in January, 75 minutes in the air, there really isn’t a viable alternative means of getting there.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Johnson's opening speech. on 13:24 - Nov 1 with 1189 viewsBurns7

A bit like his oven ready Brexit deal, it will be half baked at best and will be binned off as soon as someone with a IQ gets back in Government.
Johnson's opening speech. on 13:28 - Nov 1 with 1166 viewsNthQldITFC

Johnson's opening speech. on 13:08 - Nov 1 by footers

Of course I agree with you, but as I say, I'm playing the ball, not the man...

...for now. I reserve the right to go in two-footed, studs at throat height later.

Johnson's opening speech. on 14:16 - Nov 1 with 1059 viewsthebooks

He has lied in the past. He’s never let me down because I couldn’t have lower expectations of any human than I do of Boris Johnson.

Sorry for not playing the ball.
Johnson's opening speech. on 18:38 - Nov 1 with 937 viewsArnoldMoorhen

He's very charismatic. He has made loads of speeches to big crowds and to VIPs before. He knows exactly how to play to the crowd.

He played to the crowd.

You've been played.

The problem is, as the French have expressed this week, once somebody indicates that they are willing to go back on legally binding international agreements when it suits them, they have no credibility. And he is the host of the "One Minute to Midnight" Climate Conference where legally binding international agreements need to be signed as a matter of utmost importance for ALL future generations.

People like Macron and Biden have been surrounded by speechwriter and bullshtters there entire lives. They have seen it all before, and will not be swayed by his rhetoric. I'd love to know what the Chinese delegation make of him!
Johnson's opening speech. on 18:41 - Nov 1 with 929 viewsZXBlue

Johnson's opening speech. on 13:22 - Nov 1 by Pinewoodblue

The tax on domestic flights is disproportionate. You pay more for return flights within the UK than you do on a flight to Barcelona.

Both Easyjet and Ryanair have plans to go electric as far as ground services are concerned, every little helps.

What would make sense is have a tariff that increases the more flights you make in a year. There is not a reasonable alternative to some domestic flights. Will be flying to City of Derry Airport in January, 75 minutes in the air, there really isn’t a viable alternative means of getting there.

It SHOULD be disproportionate. There are other reasonable means of getting from London to Manchester FFS
Johnson's opening speech. on 19:43 - Nov 1 with 877 viewsPinewoodblue

Johnson's opening speech. on 18:41 - Nov 1 by ZXBlue

It SHOULD be disproportionate. There are other reasonable means of getting from London to Manchester FFS

In the example I gave, 75 minutes flight., the quickest by public transport would be almost 20 hours.

550 miles by car, call it 11hours plus a ferry journey. My wife is disabled and 2.5 hrs is the maximum driving time a day.. There really is no reasonable alternative option to flying.

Like with most things I suspect 75+% of journeys are undertaken by a very small percentage of those who fly. I know a guy who for years commuted daily from Edinburgh to Heathrow. The more you fly the more you should pay towards environmental expenditure.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Johnson's opening speech. on 19:47 - Nov 1 with 864 viewsNthsuffolkblue

He is a good populist orator especially when he doesn't wander too far off his brief (which he too frequently does). However, even when he wanders off brief what he says probably plays well to his supporter base.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Johnson's opening speech. on 19:53 - Nov 1 with 844 viewsfooters

Johnson's opening speech. on 19:47 - Nov 1 by Nthsuffolkblue

He is a good populist orator especially when he doesn't wander too far off his brief (which he too frequently does). However, even when he wanders off brief what he says probably plays well to his supporter base.

Probably.

Because they're idiots.

Johnson's opening speech. on 20:07 - Nov 1 with 811 viewsDanTheMan

I'm glad he's finally (maybe?) come round to the damage climate change will inflict, but I find it really had to give him credit given that is was publicly mocking climate change less than a decade ago when literally nothing has changed since then.

He was in a very privileged position where he can obviously sway a lot of people's mind but instead chose to reinforce some people's beliefs that there was nothing to worry about.

human beings have become so blind with conceit and self-love that we genuinely believe that the fate of the planet is in our hands — when the reality is that everything, or almost everything, depends on the behaviour and caprice of the gigantic thermonuclear fireball around which we revolve

That was him in 2013. He was part of the problem, I do hope now there is some actions to follow up the words so that he becomes part of the solution.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Johnson's opening speech. on 20:42 - Nov 1 with 735 viewsSwansea_Blue

I *think* the increase in duty on long haul flights is expected to decrease demand and offset the likely increase in domestic flights. So it’s likely to be a carbon neutral budget with respect to flights. Or in other words it’s a pointless/irrelevant budget in relation to flights. Would have been much better to just leave domestic duty as it was, but I suppose they wanted a headline and have been lobbied by the industry.

Johnson's opening speech. on 20:49 - Nov 1 with 725 viewsHerbivore

Johnson's opening speech. on 20:07 - Nov 1 by DanTheMan

I'm glad he's finally (maybe?) come round to the damage climate change will inflict, but I find it really had to give him credit given that is was publicly mocking climate change less than a decade ago when literally nothing has changed since then.

He was in a very privileged position where he can obviously sway a lot of people's mind but instead chose to reinforce some people's beliefs that there was nothing to worry about.

human beings have become so blind with conceit and self-love that we genuinely believe that the fate of the planet is in our hands — when the reality is that everything, or almost everything, depends on the behaviour and caprice of the gigantic thermonuclear fireball around which we revolve

That was him in 2013. He was part of the problem, I do hope now there is some actions to follow up the words so that he becomes part of the solution.

Currently watching Dispatches on C4 and there is a huge gap between his rhetoric and what we're actually doing.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Johnson's opening speech. on 21:03 - Nov 1 with 689 viewsSwansea_Blue

Johnson's opening speech. on 20:49 - Nov 1 by Herbivore

Currently watching Dispatches on C4 and there is a huge gap between his rhetoric and what we're actually doing.

Always has been (Gove and the rest too). Doesn’t stop people falling for it though.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024