Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Celina and the 3 5 2 20:34 - Dec 18 with 3084 viewschrismakin

As much as I love Aluko.... if MK continues the 3 5 2. I can't wait to see celina involved in it. I'd have Aluko and Burns as the switch over option. Celina and Fraser. Edwards... not quite sure. I saw someone mention Edwards as the wingback option... could he? Not sure.

Either way. I really hope we stick with the 3 5 2 or what ever version of it we played. I've mentioned it previously that our squad deserved more than 4 2 3 1.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 21:07 - Dec 18 with 2683 viewsHerbivore

The squad was put together to play Cook's 4-2-3-1.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 21:15 - Dec 18 with 2645 viewsjayessess

Edwards at wing back is a real option for me. Looks like he can defend and would take a bit of pressure off him going forward too.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 21:19 - Dec 18 with 2610 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Aluko>Celina though.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 21:33 - Dec 18 with 2543 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 21:07 - Dec 18 by Herbivore

The squad was put together to play Cook's 4-2-3-1.

Supposedly but there were clearly times where it really was not working. Woolfenden seems to work better in a back 3 and I wonder if it might suit Donacien too. There were definitely times where 4 2 3 1 we lost the midfield battle. By effectively having the extra body in there without sacrificing width may well work better.

I think the important thing is not to be so wedded to a single system that we cannot show flexibility according to the game situation. opposition where they are stopping us or over-running us and players available to us.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 21:48 - Dec 18 with 2463 viewsHerbivore

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 21:33 - Dec 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

Supposedly but there were clearly times where it really was not working. Woolfenden seems to work better in a back 3 and I wonder if it might suit Donacien too. There were definitely times where 4 2 3 1 we lost the midfield battle. By effectively having the extra body in there without sacrificing width may well work better.

I think the important thing is not to be so wedded to a single system that we cannot show flexibility according to the game situation. opposition where they are stopping us or over-running us and players available to us.

We did but was that really down to the formation? Aluko or Celina playing ahead of Morsy and Evans in a 3-5-2 doesn't solve that issue especially, it's not really any different to them playing as a 10 ahead of the deeper two in a 4-2-3-1. This season we've lacked shape, organisation, patterns of play, and energy at times. I don't think that can be pinned on the formation necessarily. I think if Woolfenden is coming back into the fold then three at the back can work, I wasn't keen on it under Cook when it was clear Woolf wasn't in his plans as it likely meant a back three consisting of at least a couple of cloggers. I'm still not convinced it suits our squad entirely though, given how many options we've signed to play in the 3 behind the main striker. It'll be interesting to see how McKenna has them lining up.

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 22:25 - Dec 18 with 2389 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 21:48 - Dec 18 by Herbivore

We did but was that really down to the formation? Aluko or Celina playing ahead of Morsy and Evans in a 3-5-2 doesn't solve that issue especially, it's not really any different to them playing as a 10 ahead of the deeper two in a 4-2-3-1. This season we've lacked shape, organisation, patterns of play, and energy at times. I don't think that can be pinned on the formation necessarily. I think if Woolfenden is coming back into the fold then three at the back can work, I wasn't keen on it under Cook when it was clear Woolf wasn't in his plans as it likely meant a back three consisting of at least a couple of cloggers. I'm still not convinced it suits our squad entirely though, given how many options we've signed to play in the 3 behind the main striker. It'll be interesting to see how McKenna has them lining up.

Yes, what happens moving forward will be interesting. I am not expecting McKenna to be wedded to any one formation but I do expect him to have a clear plan A that is reasonably consistent. Who knows though? Exciting times.

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 22:30 - Dec 18 with 2364 viewsHerbivore

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 22:25 - Dec 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

Yes, what happens moving forward will be interesting. I am not expecting McKenna to be wedded to any one formation but I do expect him to have a clear plan A that is reasonably consistent. Who knows though? Exciting times.

The reality is that there's plenty enough quality and depth in this squad for us to play a number of systems and to have a number of tactical plans. Seeing 29k there today we really could be set for something good here if McKenna can get things right.

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 08:36 - Dec 19 with 2081 viewsStokieBlue

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 21:19 - Dec 18 by BanksterDebtSlave

Aluko>Celina though.

Aluko has been very good but the stats simply don't back up your statement.

Nice to have both as options.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Login to get fewer ads

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 08:46 - Dec 19 with 2050 viewsYallop

From what I've read the new gaffer tweaks the formation to suit the opposition. Not convinced I like that but if it wins us games then great.

Aluko for me has been outstanding he seems to have the ball on a bit of string, retains possession so well. Was good to see him and Burns in the same side as previously it looked one or the other on the right.

I'm maybe in the minority but I like to see Chaplin start because he finds little pockets and is quite clinical but I appreciate it's nigh on impossible to fit them all in.
Celina and the 3 5 2 on 08:51 - Dec 19 with 2036 viewsChateauWines

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 21:15 - Dec 18 by jayessess

Edwards at wing back is a real option for me. Looks like he can defend and would take a bit of pressure off him going forward too.

Football game of opinions of course. I don't see a defensive bone in him

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 08:56 - Dec 19 with 2009 viewsstrikalite

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 08:46 - Dec 19 by Yallop

From what I've read the new gaffer tweaks the formation to suit the opposition. Not convinced I like that but if it wins us games then great.

Aluko for me has been outstanding he seems to have the ball on a bit of string, retains possession so well. Was good to see him and Burns in the same side as previously it looked one or the other on the right.

I'm maybe in the minority but I like to see Chaplin start because he finds little pockets and is quite clinical but I appreciate it's nigh on impossible to fit them all in.

A real hunger was thankfully within them yesterday, fringe players are now chomping at the bit to prove a point knowing the new man awaits, Aluko on that performance has imo guaranteed himself a starting place because he was everywhere and rarely gave the ball away even in tight areas, it seems the more he plays the better he becomes - match fitness plays are massive part I guess..
Celina and the 3 5 2 on 08:59 - Dec 19 with 1991 viewsHerbivore

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 08:46 - Dec 19 by Yallop

Most top class managers tweak their system depending on who they're playing, it's just common sense. Rigidly sticking to the same system every week and not changing things when that doesn't work is not good.

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 09:02 - Dec 19 with 1985 viewsgordon

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 21:33 - Dec 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

Woolfenden, Edmundson and Donacien should be a really good back three, and Burns, KVY Coulsen and Penney are all really well-suited to playing wing-back.

I wonder whether we might end up something like this by the end of the season:

Walton
-------Donacien-Edmundson-Woolfenden
Burns---------------------------------------------Edwards
----------------Morsy---------Harper---------------------
------------------------Aluko--------------------------------
--------------Chaplin--------Bonne/Norwood---------

I'm guessing that Fraser will leave in January, although perhaps he'll get one more go under McKenna in 3-5-2.t Harper may get another go under the new manager because Evans probably hasn't quite got it and Harper with a run of games might come good, although I suspect we're going to bring someone in to play alongside Morsy.

Chaplin up front would be really useful because he's got the discipline and work-rate to press really well, drop in to midfield etc. if needed, so gives more flexibility, but also has an eye for goal.

Would certainly be interesting to see Edwards at left wing-back, because he tends to do really good work picking the ball up on the half-way line - it's when he's in the penalty area that things go wrong, so playing deeper might benefit him.

Big thing is having energy, discipline and work-rate across the whole team which we've so rarely had - we're going to have the quality whoever we put out.
Celina and the 3 5 2 on 09:24 - Dec 19 with 1916 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 09:02 - Dec 19 by gordon

Woolfenden, Edmundson and Donacien should be a really good back three, and Burns, KVY Coulsen and Penney are all really well-suited to playing wing-back.

I wonder whether we might end up something like this by the end of the season:

Walton
-------Donacien-Edmundson-Woolfenden
Burns---------------------------------------------Edwards
----------------Morsy---------Harper---------------------
------------------------Aluko--------------------------------
--------------Chaplin--------Bonne/Norwood---------

I'm guessing that Fraser will leave in January, although perhaps he'll get one more go under McKenna in 3-5-2.t Harper may get another go under the new manager because Evans probably hasn't quite got it and Harper with a run of games might come good, although I suspect we're going to bring someone in to play alongside Morsy.

Chaplin up front would be really useful because he's got the discipline and work-rate to press really well, drop in to midfield etc. if needed, so gives more flexibility, but also has an eye for goal.

Would certainly be interesting to see Edwards at left wing-back, because he tends to do really good work picking the ball up on the half-way line - it's when he's in the penalty area that things go wrong, so playing deeper might benefit him.

Big thing is having energy, discipline and work-rate across the whole team which we've so rarely had - we're going to have the quality whoever we put out.

Humphreys may be the player best suited to where you have Edwards in that formation.

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 09:25 - Dec 19 with 1912 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 08:36 - Dec 19 by StokieBlue

SB

"Lies, damned lies and statistics."
I will stick with my phenomenological observations.
[Post edited 19 Dec 2021 9:42]

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 09:39 - Dec 19 with 1867 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 09:25 - Dec 19 by BanksterDebtSlave

A case of ligic over logic?

And PS Thanks for the vocabulary extension even with the typo!
[Post edited 19 Dec 2021 9:40]

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 09:44 - Dec 19 with 1835 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 09:39 - Dec 19 by Nthsuffolkblue

A case of ligic over logic?

And PS Thanks for the vocabulary extension even with the typo!
[Post edited 19 Dec 2021 9:40]

Edited....phenomenology helped me blag my way through a polytechnic dissertation. I am forever grateful to it.

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 09:55 - Dec 19 with 1777 viewsStokieBlue

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 09:25 - Dec 19 by BanksterDebtSlave

Or alternatively, you don't like the truth so you ignore it.

It's not even worth discussing anymore, the pre-determined narrative around Celina is ridiculous as pointed out by our resident Guardian journalist just the other week.

SB

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 10:44 - Dec 19 with 1712 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 09:55 - Dec 19 by StokieBlue

Or alternatively, you don't like the truth so you ignore it.

It's not even worth discussing anymore, the pre-determined narrative around Celina is ridiculous as pointed out by our resident Guardian journalist just the other week.

SB

Or alternatively I don't agree with your truth but in my observations on the pitch on commitment to tackling, tracking back and other unmeasured factors. None of which is to say that Celina is sh1t or even close to it.
Honestly Stokie sometimes you seem to really struggle with opinions that counter yours, and yours IS just an opinion too!!

However if we must...
https://www.footballcritic.com/sone-aluko/profile/2062
https://www.footballcritic.com/bersant-celina/profile/50259
[Post edited 19 Dec 2021 10:50]

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 12:43 - Dec 19 with 1591 viewsDarth_Koont

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 08:36 - Dec 19 by StokieBlue

SB

I think it’s swings and roundabouts with the two of them. Celina is much more threatening in and around the box in his own right, but I think Aluko is better for our play between the boxes by retaining the ball and generally using it well.

Ideally, we’d have both but not sure how with Burns also important and Bonne looking like he needs the support of a second striker.

Interesting to see how McKenna addresses that. I think we’ve generally addressed gaps and inconsistencies in defence and central midfield but felt like the real inconsistency was in the front 4 that could blow teams away or look lost from game to game.

Pronouns: He/Him

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 13:20 - Dec 19 with 1533 viewsDarth_Koont

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 09:24 - Dec 19 by Nthsuffolkblue

Humphreys may be the player best suited to where you have Edwards in that formation.

Uppie for this.

Almost certainly a season too soon, but I predict Humphreys will be the missing piece on the left in future seasons. His all-round game and willingness to play with his head up are so good.

Pronouns: He/Him

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 13:42 - Dec 19 with 1502 viewsStokieBlue

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 10:44 - Dec 19 by BanksterDebtSlave

Or alternatively I don't agree with your truth but in my observations on the pitch on commitment to tackling, tracking back and other unmeasured factors. None of which is to say that Celina is sh1t or even close to it.
Honestly Stokie sometimes you seem to really struggle with opinions that counter yours, and yours IS just an opinion too!!

However if we must...
https://www.footballcritic.com/sone-aluko/profile/2062
https://www.footballcritic.com/bersant-celina/profile/50259
[Post edited 19 Dec 2021 10:50]

Happy to be corrected here but I am not sure that the website shows what you think it shows. Those ratings seem to be career ratings (it discusses his best matches for Reading) and they have no data on passing or defending from this season at all.

I think we are also comparing different things. I would prefer my AM to be creating, it's nice to track back and tackle but it's a secondary job to actually creating, assisting and scoring.

As I said, both are good players and we are lucky to have depth.

SB

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 13:47 - Dec 19 with 1488 viewsitfcsuth

It will be interesting to see how McKenna lays out his preferred system - hoping it remains a 3-4-1-2 or a 3-4-2-1.

Aluko cannot be dropped after a performance like that.
[Post edited 19 Dec 2021 13:47]
Celina and the 3 5 2 on 13:50 - Dec 19 with 1472 viewsgordon

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 09:24 - Dec 19 by Nthsuffolkblue

Hope so!
Celina and the 3 5 2 on 13:51 - Dec 19 with 1466 viewsitfcsuth

Celina and the 3 5 2 on 08:51 - Dec 19 by ChateauWines

Football game of opinions of course. I don't see a defensive bone in him

Agree here, can’t see him in a wing back position personally.

If we tweak at times depending on the opposition, and play a 3-4-2-1 (like Chelsea), he will fit into the inverted winger role behind the striker - but even then he is behind in the pecking order behind Aluko, Celina, Chaplin.

His end product is so poor right now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024