Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Couple of Mariner Stories on Paul Mariner Day 09:48 - Mar 26 with 1626 viewsPhilTWTD

An interview I did with him about the FA Cup final a few years back.

How We Won the Cup - Paul Mariner 6th May 2010 11:27
You may not have spotted it with other matters dominating the media, but today is the 32nd anniversary of Town’s 1-0 FA Cup final victory over Arsenal. To celebrate that great day, we thought we’d rerun the Paul Mariner interview from issue 92 of TWTD in which the Blues’ number nine remembered the cup run and that afternoon at Wembley. 6

And a piece Mel Henderson wrote after he died last year.

Mariner Was Everything a Manager Could Ask of a Centre-Forward and More 10th Jul 2021 09:57
Mel Henderson, Town’s public relations officer during the Sir Bobby Robson years, pays tribute to Blues striker Paul Mariner, whose death was announced earlier today. 54

RIP
Couple of Mariner Stories on Paul Mariner Day on 10:11 - Mar 26 with 1523 viewsWhos_blue

Cheers for reposting these Phil.
PM remains my favourite ever Town player and today will be an emotional day.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Couple of Mariner Stories on Paul Mariner Day on 10:13 - Mar 26 with 1519 viewswoodbridge_blue

Thanks Phil.

Mariner is my favourite Town player in over fifty years of attending games.

He was central to so much of our success, a great striker and a top man off the field too.

An emotional afternoon awaits.
Couple of Mariner Stories on Paul Mariner Day on 10:17 - Mar 26 with 1508 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Mel Henderson really is a miracle worker!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Couple of Mariner Stories on Paul Mariner Day on 11:44 - Mar 26 with 1388 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Great stuff Phil.

Mariner is my all time favourite Town player. He had it all. Skill, heart, intelligence and a huge sense of fun. Always getting involved, always interacting with fans.

Standing in the North with my friends as a teenager, every player had their own song. The North would go through the lot as they were warming up and each would give us a wave, Mariner the biggest.

He was so much more than just a footballer.

I can’t be there today but thank you for the unforgettable memories Marrers and RIP.

(I’d still walk a million miles for one of your goals)
[Post edited 26 Mar 2022 11:51]
Couple of Mariner Stories on Paul Mariner Day on 12:53 - Mar 26 with 1264 viewsGlasgowBlue

My Paul Mariner story.

Must have been 1988. I was going to London for a local government conference. As it was on the taxpayer I obviously went first class.

Got to Colchester and Paul Mariner came into the carriage. We were the only two people in there.

I didn’t say a word. I was absolutely in awe of the bloke as he was my childhood hero. I couldn’t even bring myself to acknowledge him. I was speechless. Really wish I’d have told him how much he meant to me growing up.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024