Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Defending corners 18:01 - Jan 3 with 1175 viewsskinnybob72

Apologies if this has been covered in another thread.

What are folks thoughts on defending corners? The only one whose thoughts matter is KM but it frustrates the life out of me that we bring every player back leaving us no out ball if we head clear.

Yesterday with the opposition down to 10 I would like to have seen us leaving 3 men on the halfway line meaning they would have to leave 3 or 4 men back to cover. With a lot less players in the box it would surely leave more space for Walton to come and claim the ball?

Regardless of the opposition being down to 10 if we leave a couple at halfway it would stop the 'big men' coming up for corners and remove the aerial threat from some teams.
Defending corners on 18:03 - Jan 3 with 1145 viewsNthsuffolkblue

An interesting suggestion. How much does the number a team commits forward determine how many a team commits to defending and vice versa? I am sure there is a lot of analysis done on it.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Defending corners on 18:20 - Jan 3 with 1096 viewsDinDjarin

Defending corners on 18:03 - Jan 3 by Nthsuffolkblue

An interesting suggestion. How much does the number a team commits forward determine how many a team commits to defending and vice versa? I am sure there is a lot of analysis done on it.

Leave 1 up and usually pulls 2 opposition out of our box.

Stick Chaplin on the half way line.
Defending corners on 18:27 - Jan 3 with 1079 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Defending corners on 18:20 - Jan 3 by DinDjarin

And the question is, as per the OP, if we leave 3 up does it draw a second one away? If it doesn't, a break of 3 v 1 must have a high chance of success. 3 players spread across the halfway line must also mean a high chance of a clearance going to one of them as well as leaving 2 others in the attack already.

Defending corners on 18:27 - Jan 3 with 1077 viewsFrimleyBlue

Defending corners on 18:20 - Jan 3 by DinDjarin

Or KVY ;)

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Defending corners on 18:28 - Jan 3 with 1065 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Defending corners on 18:27 - Jan 3 by FrimleyBlue

Or KVY ;)

I see what you did there!

Do that yesterday and we at least won 1-0! If only football were that simple!

Defending corners on 18:37 - Jan 3 with 1033 viewsskinnybob72

Defending corners on 18:27 - Jan 3 by Nthsuffolkblue

And the question is, as per the OP, if we leave 3 up does it draw a second one away? If it doesn't, a break of 3 v 1 must have a high chance of success. 3 players spread across the halfway line must also mean a high chance of a clearance going to one of them as well as leaving 2 others in the attack already.

I vaguely follow Hearts (living in Midlothian) and I recall a recent game against Aberdeen where Hearts left 3 on the halfway line when Aberdeen got corners because the Hearts manager had identified that Aberdeen's centre halves scored a number of goals from corners and this tactic kept them out of the Hearts box.
Defending corners on 18:41 - Jan 3 with 1010 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Defending corners on 18:37 - Jan 3 by skinnybob72

I vaguely follow Hearts (living in Midlothian) and I recall a recent game against Aberdeen where Hearts left 3 on the halfway line when Aberdeen got corners because the Hearts manager had identified that Aberdeen's centre halves scored a number of goals from corners and this tactic kept them out of the Hearts box.

That's interesting. Centre backs are not usually known for their pace. I would (were I to be the Aberdeen manager) have kept the CBs up for the corner and left 2 other defensive-minded players back.

Defending corners on 18:42 - Jan 3 with 1007 viewssouthnorfolkblue

When Pep managed Barcelona, I’m fairly sure that they faced Chelsea in the Champions League when they had the likes of Terry and carried a real aerial threat at corners. He left 3 up which I thought was very smart.

It seems to be common practice to put 11 behind the ball at corners, but even Mick started to leave a player on the half way line in his final days.

If Edwards is on the pitch, I’d leave him up. It needs to be someone’s quick.

Poll: Our final position

Login to get fewer ads

Defending corners on 18:46 - Jan 3 with 989 viewsyorkshireblue

I often wonder this out aloud and games - particularly yesterday when they were down to 10 men.

It infuriates me no end. We were playing 10 men, yet still dropped everyone back to defend a corner - meaning they could afford to send more men forward.

It’s not just an Ipswich thing either, I really don’t get it - but I’m assuming the stats people at various clubs have crunched the numbers and know more than a nobody on the internet like myself!
Defending corners on 18:46 - Jan 3 with 987 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Defending corners on 18:42 - Jan 3 by southnorfolkblue

When Pep managed Barcelona, I’m fairly sure that they faced Chelsea in the Champions League when they had the likes of Terry and carried a real aerial threat at corners. He left 3 up which I thought was very smart.

It seems to be common practice to put 11 behind the ball at corners, but even Mick started to leave a player on the half way line in his final days.

If Edwards is on the pitch, I’d leave him up. It needs to be someone’s quick.

I would suggest Edwards, Chaplin, Jackson, Burns, Aluko - 2 or 3 out of those would be the sort of players you would want up there. How much would we miss them from defending and how likely would we be to score if they got a clearance come to one of them?

Defending corners on 18:50 - Jan 3 with 972 viewsLeoMuff

Defending corners on 18:46 - Jan 3 by yorkshireblue

I often wonder this out aloud and games - particularly yesterday when they were down to 10 men.

It infuriates me no end. We were playing 10 men, yet still dropped everyone back to defend a corner - meaning they could afford to send more men forward.

It’s not just an Ipswich thing either, I really don’t get it - but I’m assuming the stats people at various clubs have crunched the numbers and know more than a nobody on the internet like myself!

I suppose the thinking is in our 70 plus percentage possession games, one of the few chances teams will have are corners, so it’s key to defended well and in numbers as chances will come in open play.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Defending corners on 18:50 - Jan 3 with 967 viewsskinnybob72

Defending corners on 18:46 - Jan 3 by yorkshireblue

I fancy that this is likely true - everything is analysed to death and there will probably be analysis showing that there are less goals conceded by teams who defend a corner with 11 men back.
Defending corners on 18:51 - Jan 3 with 965 viewsSheffordBlue

I can't remember which manager I heard being asked this recently but his answer was basically that the odds just didn't favour it - reducing the space in the box has a greater payoff than the unlikely chance of the ball reaching the lone player up front.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Defending corners on 18:54 - Jan 3 with 920 viewsFixed_It

Defending corners on 18:51 - Jan 3 by SheffordBlue

I can't remember which manager I heard being asked this recently but his answer was basically that the odds just didn't favour it - reducing the space in the box has a greater payoff than the unlikely chance of the ball reaching the lone player up front.

I remember Paul Lambert saying this when he was here.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024