Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Greg Leigh Appreciation 23:07 - Aug 9 with 1698 viewsblaggers

Can I just say that I thought Greg was MOTM tonight, and that he is super unlucky to be behind such a good player in Davis. He has great energy and strength, and of all of our second string players, he's the most like for like switch at LB. If he left, I'm sure he'd walk into any number of first teams...
[Post edited 9 Aug 2023 23:34]

Poll: What happens next?

Greg Leigh Appreciation on 23:15 - Aug 9 with 1637 viewslizzibee

I had him as my MOTM. Thought he was fab. closely followed by Jackson who's speed cut rovers apart
Greg Leigh Appreciation on 23:17 - Aug 9 with 1634 viewsCuttsy

Yes I thought he had a terrific game; when he signed, he was rated as one of the best (if not the best) LB in League 1 at the time. He's therefore mightily unlucky that Davis has proved to be so good. As a back-up though, he's unbelievably useful - but I'd more than understand if he left later this month in search of a regular first team place (probably in a League 1 team like Bristol Rovers or even Derby) - although that of course would be a big loss for us.
Greg Leigh Appreciation on 07:39 - Aug 10 with 1316 viewsBlueBoots

Posted before Kick-Off last night...

I effin' love our squad by BlueBoots 9 Aug 2023 19:15
Seems like an appropriate day to write this post, as quite a few players are making their first appearances of the season this evening.

Having read a few posts on here straight after a hard fought win at Sunderland, was a bit disappointed with some of the reaction (Highlight for me was a thread along the lines of "What have we learned from today's match?", to which one of the replies was that Edmundson and Jackson need replacing...[doh])

Can't remember if it was the same thread, but other posters thought we needed to bin off JD after the game because he gave the ball away a couple of times and didn't stop the cross that came into our box for their goal (at a time when he was probably seeing 2 footballs after being clattered by Hladky and starting to cramp up too). Few digs at Hladky's performance too; most of which seemed to be based on the fact that he isn't Walton. Already mentioned on another thread, but Hladky's reaction at the final whistle is already going into my highlight reel for the season; for me he's done what all good No.2 keepers do - train as if you're going to be playing every week anyway, and if the opportunity comes along to fill in, come in and do an outstanding job.

I think it's fair to say that Walton and Clarke would have likely played if available, but they weren't; just wanted to say how incredibly lucky we are to have players as good as Hladky and JD to step up when needed.

K McK / Ashton have alluded to our transfer policy being to bring in players who are an upgrade on what we have; could it possibly be the reason we aren't seeing signings is because we already have some damn good players (and people) in the building?

So cheers to Edmundson and Baggott who will get chances to fill in for a pair of centre-backs who contributed to a ridiculous run of clean sheets at the end of last season, Evans and Harness who helped us to get off to a flyer at the start of last season, and Ball and Aluko who have come back from injuries to bring their experience at this level to the group for a new season (on and off the pitch) To Jackson for making life hell for any left back who stupidly leaves a few yards of space empty behind him (despite the fact he'd probably prefer to be playing as a centre forward) To Edwards, who is probably desperate to start games, for coming off the bench so many times instead and making tiring opposition defenders wish they were heading in the opposite direction. And lastly to my favourite player Greg Leigh, who I was looking forward to seeing last season after watching the pre-season friendlies, only for us to sign one of the best young left backs in the country a few weeks later; with the kind of shifts our full-backs put in, 9 subs allowed on the bench, and 15 minutes of injury time looking to become the norm in matches, I hope to see more of you this season.

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Greg Leigh Appreciation on 07:57 - Aug 10 with 1253 viewsDJR

Greg Leigh Appreciation on 07:39 - Aug 10 by BlueBoots

Seems like an appropriate day to write this post, as quite a few players are making their first appearances of the season this evening.

Having read a few posts on here straight after a hard fought win at Sunderland, was a bit disappointed with some of the reaction (Highlight for me was a thread along the lines of "What have we learned from today's match?", to which one of the replies was that Edmundson and Jackson need replacing...[doh])

Can't remember if it was the same thread, but other posters thought we needed to bin off JD after the game because he gave the ball away a couple of times and didn't stop the cross that came into our box for their goal (at a time when he was probably seeing 2 footballs after being clattered by Hladky and starting to cramp up too). Few digs at Hladky's performance too; most of which seemed to be based on the fact that he isn't Walton. Already mentioned on another thread, but Hladky's reaction at the final whistle is already going into my highlight reel for the season; for me he's done what all good No.2 keepers do - train as if you're going to be playing every week anyway, and if the opportunity comes along to fill in, come in and do an outstanding job.

I think it's fair to say that Walton and Clarke would have likely played if available, but they weren't; just wanted to say how incredibly lucky we are to have players as good as Hladky and JD to step up when needed.

K McK / Ashton have alluded to our transfer policy being to bring in players who are an upgrade on what we have; could it possibly be the reason we aren't seeing signings is because we already have some damn good players (and people) in the building?

So cheers to Edmundson and Baggott who will get chances to fill in for a pair of centre-backs who contributed to a ridiculous run of clean sheets at the end of last season, Evans and Harness who helped us to get off to a flyer at the start of last season, and Ball and Aluko who have come back from injuries to bring their experience at this level to the group for a new season (on and off the pitch) To Jackson for making life hell for any left back who stupidly leaves a few yards of space empty behind him (despite the fact he'd probably prefer to be playing as a centre forward) To Edwards, who is probably desperate to start games, for coming off the bench so many times instead and making tiring opposition defenders wish they were heading in the opposite direction. And lastly to my favourite player Greg Leigh, who I was looking forward to seeing last season after watching the pre-season friendlies, only for us to sign one of the best young left backs in the country a few weeks later; with the kind of shifts our full-backs put in, 9 subs allowed on the bench, and 15 minutes of injury time looking to become the norm in matches, I hope to see more of you this season.

Well done that man.
Greg Leigh Appreciation on 08:43 - Aug 10 with 1157 viewsChorleyBoy

Greg Leigh Appreciation on 07:39 - Aug 10 by BlueBoots

Best post I've read on here for a while.Thanks.
Greg Leigh Appreciation on 10:49 - Aug 10 with 1017 viewsLion

Leif has to play if fit, but I would be gutted if Greg left, i think he's a really good solid pro in the same way that I've always thought Janoi was

Poll: Is Blue Badger ( booooooooooooooo ) a cyber bully?

Greg Leigh Appreciation on 11:09 - Aug 10 with 987 viewsMookamoo

Have we seen Davis and Leigh on at the same time?

If Edwards is on his way out, playing Leigh in a more advanced 'Clapham-esque' role from the bench might be an option.
Greg Leigh Appreciation on 14:53 - Aug 10 with 852 viewsBlueBoots

Greg Leigh Appreciation on 11:09 - Aug 10 by Mookamoo

Have we seen Davis and Leigh on at the same time?

If Edwards is on his way out, playing Leigh in a more advanced 'Clapham-esque' role from the bench might be an option.

I wouldn't be averse to that; mentioned in the past that if Burns is out for any reason, could switch to having our overloads on left, but think it would be more likely that Leigh came in at left back and Davis played the advanced (Burns) role on that side.

Login to get fewer ads

Greg Leigh Appreciation on 14:57 - Aug 10 with 843 viewsSaleAway

Greg Leigh Appreciation on 14:53 - Aug 10 by BlueBoots

I wouldn't be averse to that; mentioned in the past that if Burns is out for any reason, could switch to having our overloads on left, but think it would be more likely that Leigh came in at left back and Davis played the advanced (Burns) role on that side.

I think Greg played a bit occasionally in midfield when he was at Aberdeen. definitely started out as a striker as a kid ( but then, don't we all ;-) )

In a game like Sunday against Sunderland, I'd probably have rather seen a Davis/Leigh left side, than a Leigh/Harness one.... but I think Davis was struggling physically when he came off....

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Greg Leigh Appreciation on 14:59 - Aug 10 with 829 viewstonybied

Greg Leigh Appreciation on 14:57 - Aug 10 by SaleAway

I think Greg played a bit occasionally in midfield when he was at Aberdeen. definitely started out as a striker as a kid ( but then, don't we all ;-) )

In a game like Sunday against Sunderland, I'd probably have rather seen a Davis/Leigh left side, than a Leigh/Harness one.... but I think Davis was struggling physically when he came off....

I didn't, I started out as a goalie and then advanced to the bench!
Greg Leigh Appreciation on 15:11 - Aug 10 with 802 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Greg Leigh Appreciation on 14:59 - Aug 10 by tonybied

I didn't, I started out as a goalie and then advanced to the bench!

I started at left back. Left back in the changing room.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Greg Leigh Appreciation on 15:15 - Aug 10 with 795 viewsBlueBoots

Greg Leigh Appreciation on 14:57 - Aug 10 by SaleAway

Davis and JD were both struggling with cramp when they came off (reported after the game); no surprise, as was impressed with Sunderland's wide players and they had to put in a hell of a shift for an opening game to contain them (prospect of 15 minutes injury time didn't help either).

Tactic that worked for us at the beginning of last season was bringing Leigh on to replace Davis at what seemed almost like a pre-decided point in the 2nd half (as we did with front 4) Might see a bit more of that this season as the running stats for the Championship are a lot tougher and can't risk Davis burning out.

Greg Leigh Appreciation on 15:19 - Aug 10 with 782 viewsSaleAway

Greg Leigh Appreciation on 15:15 - Aug 10 by BlueBoots

Davis and JD were both struggling with cramp when they came off (reported after the game); no surprise, as was impressed with Sunderland's wide players and they had to put in a hell of a shift for an opening game to contain them (prospect of 15 minutes injury time didn't help either).

Tactic that worked for us at the beginning of last season was bringing Leigh on to replace Davis at what seemed almost like a pre-decided point in the 2nd half (as we did with front 4) Might see a bit more of that this season as the running stats for the Championship are a lot tougher and can't risk Davis burning out.

Yeah, was fairly regular change, but when he had his compression fracture, they had to manage without it, and then decided to use the bench space in other ways. With the bigger bench this year, I think we might see him back in more match day squads.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024