Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Murmurings of discontent 09:03 - Jan 14 with 5079 viewsHerbivore

The most recent interviews with Chambo and Mick are certainly interesting. Although they've not outright said it there's a lot of veiled criticism of ME. Mick has made it clear that ME handles the contracts and has suggested that he wants Chambo to stay and it's clear Chambo is a frustrated figure at the moment. The lack of depth and quality in the squad is clearly grating on them both as well. I think this is the closest I've seen to public criticism of the owner, even with them putting qualifications and caveats in.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Murmurings of discontent on 12:03 - Jan 14 with 2054 viewsHerbivore

Murmurings of discontent on 09:18 - Jan 14 by powinswitch

I agree we have got it on the floor more. But the football has been poor. Not sure of the detail, but I bet our passing statistics have been amongst the weakest in the league. In 12 matches after the opening game we scored 4 goals in 12 games. The football has been negative.

I don't agree that the football has been negative. We lost Murphy permanently and Didz and Pitman to injury all within a couple of weeks. You lose three of your best attacking players and you might struggle to score goals, however we have regularly started games this season with 4 or even 5 primarily attack minded players. I can't recall us setting up to park the bus at all this season, we've just not been good enough on a consistent basis at what we've been trying to do. It's easy and somewhat lazy to harp on about negative tactics when we're playing poorly and not winning but it doesn't reflect what's really been happening.

It's odd that Mick's detractors were telling us last season that they'd sacrifice results if it meant a change in approach and more creativity on the pitch and this season we've had more creativity on the pitch (whenever possible) and have been trying to play a better style and now we're not getting results people have turned. Definition of a no win situation really. It's hard to change style and start rolling teams over overnight with no real budget to speak of.

Murmurings of discontent on 12:07 - Jan 14 with 2040 viewsRonFearonsHair

Murmurings of discontent on 11:58 - Jan 14 by Herbivore

Have you considered that the players might be massively lacking in confidence from not being able to string two wins together and playing in a toxic atmosphere at home?

Yes. It's a vicious circle.
Murmurings of discontent on 12:09 - Jan 14 with 2032 viewsnshearman1

I just feel very sad for this fine football club. Disenchanted fans squabbling amongst themselves, a 'toxic' Portman Road, an unhappy captain and team and a manager who seems to have run out of ideas. Ultimately ME is to blame with his hopeless financial strategy and a series of poor managerial appointments (I'd actually exclude Mick from that). Something's got to change.
Murmurings of discontent on 12:31 - Jan 14 with 2002 viewspowinswitch

Murmurings of discontent on 12:03 - Jan 14 by Herbivore

I don't agree that the football has been negative. We lost Murphy permanently and Didz and Pitman to injury all within a couple of weeks. You lose three of your best attacking players and you might struggle to score goals, however we have regularly started games this season with 4 or even 5 primarily attack minded players. I can't recall us setting up to park the bus at all this season, we've just not been good enough on a consistent basis at what we've been trying to do. It's easy and somewhat lazy to harp on about negative tactics when we're playing poorly and not winning but it doesn't reflect what's really been happening.

It's odd that Mick's detractors were telling us last season that they'd sacrifice results if it meant a change in approach and more creativity on the pitch and this season we've had more creativity on the pitch (whenever possible) and have been trying to play a better style and now we're not getting results people have turned. Definition of a no win situation really. It's hard to change style and start rolling teams over overnight with no real budget to speak of.

'4 or even even 5'. Wow. That's something else. Muhren, Thijssen, Wark, Mariner, Brazil, Gates. That's 6 and I would add Burley as an attacking full back. So 7. Let's look at some games this season. Tell me who our attacking options were against Cardiff. Or Brighton, or Huddersfield. Or Rotherham last season.

Not everything about our current malaise can be aimed at Mick McCarthy. But the way we are set up to not lose can. He is trying to turn things, and is trying to be more expansive, but some of the players are currently unable to do that. Let's not lose sight of the fact that they are his players. I think the squad is good enough, I just don't think he is good enough to lead them up.

Herbivore. Open your eyes. You are of course entitled to your opinion. And I might agree with you - but then we'd both be wrong.
Murmurings of discontent on 12:56 - Jan 14 with 1951 viewspowinswitch

And one other thing. The headline on the current main news story is ,Mick after return to clean sheets....'. Says it all for me. His first thought is stopping the opposition. And this is a bottom three team we are playing. His philosophy is not what I want for our club. Burley, Robson, Royle, all played football the way I would like to see it played.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2017 12:57]
Murmurings of discontent on 13:36 - Jan 14 with 1901 viewsbraveblue

DId you see the Fulham match? Embarrassing. That is where the discontent comes from.
Murmurings of discontent on 14:03 - Jan 14 with 1895 viewsstuyarmouthblue

Murmurings of discontent on 11:58 - Jan 14 by Herbivore

Have you considered that the players might be massively lacking in confidence from not being able to string two wins together and playing in a toxic atmosphere at home?

He's been offered less than he's already on.

It's a terrible way to treat a player, let alone your captain. If ME wanted this club to develop, he'd have allowed money for such contracts
Murmurings of discontent on 14:28 - Jan 14 with 1879 viewsFreddy

Murmurings of discontent on 09:09 - Jan 14 by Herbivore

I hope so, although from what Chambo has said it seems he hasn't been offered anything at all at this stage, not even us taking up the option of another 12 months. Very shoddy way to treat a captain who has given us good service.

Not way to treat your captain is it, he sounds well pissed off
Login to get fewer ads

Murmurings of discontent on 10:06 - Jan 15 with 1802 viewsHerbivore

Murmurings of discontent on 12:31 - Jan 14 by powinswitch

'4 or even even 5'. Wow. That's something else. Muhren, Thijssen, Wark, Mariner, Brazil, Gates. That's 6 and I would add Burley as an attacking full back. So 7. Let's look at some games this season. Tell me who our attacking options were against Cardiff. Or Brighton, or Huddersfield. Or Rotherham last season.

Not everything about our current malaise can be aimed at Mick McCarthy. But the way we are set up to not lose can. He is trying to turn things, and is trying to be more expansive, but some of the players are currently unable to do that. Let's not lose sight of the fact that they are his players. I think the squad is good enough, I just don't think he is good enough to lead them up.

Herbivore. Open your eyes. You are of course entitled to your opinion. And I might agree with you - but then we'd both be wrong.

Enjoy the game yesterday?

Murmurings of discontent on 11:26 - Jan 15 with 1732 viewspowinswitch

Murmurings of discontent on 10:06 - Jan 15 by Herbivore

I did. A very good game, and credit to McCarthy for sticking that team and formation out. Got the ball down on the floor a lot, and the passing was much better. Created a lot of chances and obviously a great finish from Lawrence. Was particularly impressed with Skuse yesterday who was picking decent passes out all over the field, and drove forward with the ball on a number of occasions. Chambers also played really well, but he is a centre back and that's what I would expect from him. So, what was your view.
Murmurings of discontent on 11:41 - Jan 15 with 1711 viewspowinswitch

Murmurings of discontent on 10:06 - Jan 15 by Herbivore

You still didn't answer my point about the number of attacking options in those games. If you think 4 or 5 attacking options is good, then I think you miss the point, and are probably a pints half empty type of person. Credit to Mick yesterday - genuinely. But too often he has set us up to not lose. And too often in those games we have still lost. The first thing we must do to attract fans, some of whom have left over the last 4 years, is entertain. You don't do that by stifling the hell out of the opposition, and the joy of football. Well done for yesterday Mr McCarthy, keep it going, on Tuesday and at Portman Road at the very least.
Mermaid of discontent on 11:54 - Jan 15 with 1681 viewshoppy

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Murmurings of discontent on 12:01 - Jan 15 with 1665 viewsbluefunk

Murmurings of discontent on 11:41 - Jan 15 by powinswitch

You still didn't answer my point about the number of attacking options in those games. If you think 4 or 5 attacking options is good, then I think you miss the point, and are probably a pints half empty type of person. Credit to Mick yesterday - genuinely. But too often he has set us up to not lose. And too often in those games we have still lost. The first thing we must do to attract fans, some of whom have left over the last 4 years, is entertain. You don't do that by stifling the hell out of the opposition, and the joy of football. Well done for yesterday Mr McCarthy, keep it going, on Tuesday and at Portman Road at the very least.

Exactly how many selection options has he had for the bulk of the season? I think that is the point being made - his team selections have largely been the only players available to him. since Jnauary last year we have had serious injuries to Fraser, Coke, Murphy, McGoldrick twice, Bishop twice, Pitman, Williams, Smith, Hyam as well as the shorter term niggles. Those players include most of our creative attacking players, as well as the others providing options and competition

We run a small squad, now overreliant on youngsters, yet fans expect him to win games and change the style and play expansive football and challenge for the playoffs - moon on a stick anyone?
Murmurings of discontent on 12:06 - Jan 15 with 1635 viewspowinswitch

Murmurings of discontent on 12:01 - Jan 15 by bluefunk

Exactly how many selection options has he had for the bulk of the season? I think that is the point being made - his team selections have largely been the only players available to him. since Jnauary last year we have had serious injuries to Fraser, Coke, Murphy, McGoldrick twice, Bishop twice, Pitman, Williams, Smith, Hyam as well as the shorter term niggles. Those players include most of our creative attacking players, as well as the others providing options and competition

We run a small squad, now overreliant on youngsters, yet fans expect him to win games and change the style and play expansive football and challenge for the playoffs - moon on a stick anyone?

You may have a point. But on occasion he has had more attacking options available to him, but still set us up to not lose. Listen, we can argue until the cows come home, and I would suggest that the reason so many are not coming now despite having season tickets (the crowd was again not as high as stated) is because the football has been consistently awful for so long. But yesterday he did put out a team to win the game. So well done on that, and now let's do it again.
Murmurings of discontent on 12:11 - Jan 15 with 1618 viewsbluefunk

Murmurings of discontent on 12:06 - Jan 15 by powinswitch

You may have a point. But on occasion he has had more attacking options available to him, but still set us up to not lose. Listen, we can argue until the cows come home, and I would suggest that the reason so many are not coming now despite having season tickets (the crowd was again not as high as stated) is because the football has been consistently awful for so long. But yesterday he did put out a team to win the game. So well done on that, and now let's do it again.

We aren't disagreeing on much tbf, and certainly the crowds have been dwindling - about 13k there yesterday I reckon. Yesterday's performance (plus BC and QPR) show where we might be going, but we do need ME to back the manager and for fans to get behind the team.

Perhaps Chambos excellent interview and the more negative fans voting with their feet played a part in the latter - long may that continue
Murmurings of discontent on 13:54 - Jan 15 with 1533 viewsHerbivore

Murmurings of discontent on 11:41 - Jan 15 by powinswitch

Yesterday we had Dozzell, Bru (arguably), Lawrence and Sears as attack minded players, so only 4 which you deem to few. Surprised you enjoyed the game with such a negative line up, I mean the response to our poor performance against Lincoln was to swap a midfielder for a defender yesterday! And all this against a bottom 3 aide! When will we see Mick setting us up to win games rather than not lose?!

Murmurings of discontent on 17:54 - Jan 15 with 1465 viewspowinswitch

Murmurings of discontent on 13:54 - Jan 15 by Herbivore

Yesterday we had Dozzell, Bru (arguably), Lawrence and Sears as attack minded players, so only 4 which you deem to few. Surprised you enjoyed the game with such a negative line up, I mean the response to our poor performance against Lincoln was to swap a midfielder for a defender yesterday! And all this against a bottom 3 aide! When will we see Mick setting us up to win games rather than not lose?!

I enjoyed the game because we played to win, got the ball down, created some chances etc. There have been games when we have not created more than a handful of chances. There was one when the first shot was in the 65th minute. You may remember that the crowd chanted about it.

There have been games when Skuglas have started, while Bishop, Bru, Dozzell and/or Williams have been on the bench. These include the games I asked you about.

Listen we all want the Town to be doing well. I can see that McCarthy is trying to change things. We have scored as many goals in the last 4 games as we did in 15 between the Stevenage and Rotherham games. That we only scored 8 during that time is not good enough, and was due to the reliance on the Skuglas partnership in midfield.

Mick has been with us for 4 years. He has his own squad, and has consistently said it's good enough. The football these last 14 months has not been good enough, not by a long way. He has put out more positive teams recently, let's hope he continues to do so. We deserve to be entertained. I hope he succeeds.
Murmurings of discontent on 19:09 - Jan 15 with 1416 viewsHerbivore

Murmurings of discontent on 17:54 - Jan 15 by powinswitch

I enjoyed the game because we played to win, got the ball down, created some chances etc. There have been games when we have not created more than a handful of chances. There was one when the first shot was in the 65th minute. You may remember that the crowd chanted about it.

There have been games when Skuglas have started, while Bishop, Bru, Dozzell and/or Williams have been on the bench. These include the games I asked you about.

Listen we all want the Town to be doing well. I can see that McCarthy is trying to change things. We have scored as many goals in the last 4 games as we did in 15 between the Stevenage and Rotherham games. That we only scored 8 during that time is not good enough, and was due to the reliance on the Skuglas partnership in midfield.

Mick has been with us for 4 years. He has his own squad, and has consistently said it's good enough. The football these last 14 months has not been good enough, not by a long way. He has put out more positive teams recently, let's hope he continues to do so. We deserve to be entertained. I hope he succeeds.

I hope he succeeds too. Please don't use the term Skuglas though, it's very silly. They're not a celebrity couple.

Murmurings of discontent on 20:07 - Jan 15 with 1363 viewspowinswitch

Murmurings of discontent on 19:09 - Jan 15 by Herbivore

I hope he succeeds too. Please don't use the term Skuglas though, it's very silly. They're not a celebrity couple.

The term is in the dictionary. It means 'a dull football partnership without flair, or any real prospect of entertainment'. Another entry is Herbivore. It states 'irritating apologist for defensive minded manager, who is hopefully changing his football philosophy'
Murmurings of discontent on 22:42 - Jan 15 with 1307 viewsHerbivore

Murmurings of discontent on 20:07 - Jan 15 by powinswitch

The term is in the dictionary. It means 'a dull football partnership without flair, or any real prospect of entertainment'. Another entry is Herbivore. It states 'irritating apologist for defensive minded manager, who is hopefully changing his football philosophy'

Stop making things up. And seriously, anyone using the term Skuglas is officially a melt.

Murmurings of discontent on 04:50 - Jan 16 with 1251 viewspowinswitch

Murmurings of discontent on 22:42 - Jan 15 by Herbivore

Stop making things up. And seriously, anyone using the term Skuglas is officially a melt.

Then I am a melt. Happy now. This is a forum. It is for people to discuss all things Ipswich Town. We two clearly differ in how we think the game should be played. Let's agree to disagree whilst still supporting our club.
Murmurings of discontent on 05:11 - Jan 16 with 1243 viewsBenters

Murmurings of discontent on 17:54 - Jan 15 by powinswitch

This give the fans something to cheer about !

More happiness and enjoyment killz da boooz
[Post edited 16 Jan 2017 5:13]

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024