Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fake News 20:53 - Jan 16 with 5769 viewsDubtractor

That phrase is going to get pretty tired fairly soon isn't it?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Fake News on 14:55 - Jan 17 with 1224 viewsTollycobbold

Much like conspiracy theory. A term made by those wanting to discredit things. In this case the CIA
Fake News on 15:03 - Jan 17 with 1205 viewslowhouseblue

Fake News on 14:43 - Jan 17 by caught-in-limbo

Firstly, I don't accept that Russia was behind the hacking of the Clinton email. Wikileaks themselves have denied this on numerous occasions. You'll counter that with "Trump himself now says it was probably Russia", well, I'd say that too if I was Trump. The US intelligence agencies know who was really behind the hacking and Trump is being a good little boy in going along with the game. If Trump is anyone's puppet, and I'm sure he's somebody's, his recent statement about these emails suggests that he is more of a CIA puppet than a Putin one. That said, he certainly isn't enough of a CIA puppet for their liking.

On to your first point: "the russian hack was not the decisive factor and no serious commentators have suggested it was", sits at odds with with all those media outlets which have claimed that "Putin stole the US elections", and that "Trump has been groomed for about 5 years".

""the russian hack was not the decisive factor and no serious commentators have suggested it was", sits at odds with with all those media outlets which have claimed that "Putin stole the US elections", and that "Trump has been groomed for about 5 years". "

I repeat, no serious commentators have suggested it was. the fact that you can find 'media outlets' which make other claims doesn't surprise me. your inability to critically assess the credibility of 'media outlets' is a recurring theme.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Fake News on 15:08 - Jan 17 with 1196 viewsTollycobbold

Fake News on 15:03 - Jan 17 by lowhouseblue

""the russian hack was not the decisive factor and no serious commentators have suggested it was", sits at odds with with all those media outlets which have claimed that "Putin stole the US elections", and that "Trump has been groomed for about 5 years". "

I repeat, no serious commentators have suggested it was. the fact that you can find 'media outlets' which make other claims doesn't surprise me. your inability to critically assess the credibility of 'media outlets' is a recurring theme.

Blaming the Russians detracts from what was actually in the emails. That is of far more interest and funnily enough the distraction tactic has worked.
Secondly, both sides of that election are the same team. The Russians really have no influence there at all.
Fake News on 15:14 - Jan 17 with 1192 viewscaught-in-limbo

Fake News on 13:45 - Jan 17 by Steve_M

There are two distinct issues:

1) Clinton's use of her own e-mail server
2) Russia's hacking and selective release of e-mails

Both were known about pre-election, the point is not one about Clinton it is about whether Russian hacking was known about before the election - it was.

I'm surprised you say that "Russia's hacking of emails" was known pre-election. Seeing as the FBI and DHS themselves have not provided any substantial evidence to prove Russia hacked these emails, I'm surprised you can.

There was a supposedly "detailed" 13 page report showing the evidence, which you can read here:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/dec/29/fbi-dhs-russian-hacking-repor

The first 5 and a half pages snow no real evidence, but lots of pretty but meaningless diagrams, all designed to implicate "Grizzly Steppe*" and the "Fancy Bear*" and "Cozy Bear*" groups as Putin backed hackers.

The remaining pages (the majority of the "detailed report") is entitled "Recommended mitigations".

Can you provide any credible evidence to support your claim?

*Just LOL

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Fake News on 15:34 - Jan 17 with 1175 viewscaught-in-limbo

Fake News on 13:25 - Jan 17 by giant_stow

No worries mrs.

1. ) I read a few yesterday - all very interesting:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-01-14/will-cia-assassinate-trump-ron-paul-war

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-11-10/deep-state-unelected-shadow-government-

and linked to from there: http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/why-was-a-mysterious-navy-plane-conducting

2.) Leftfield, alternative, non-mainstream media, usually with an anti-western bias.

Very interesting links.

I don't read zerohedge actually, but I see that there are many articles on that site which I have read on other sites.

The zerohedge articles you link are interesting for the following reasons:

The first is based on Ex - Republican Senator and ex-US presidential candidate Ron Paul's own comment "Will The CIA Assassinate Trump?".
The second, which starts with a quote from former President Roosevelt, is written by the founder of the Rutherford Institute https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutherford_Institute Anti-west?

These articles are decidedly anti CIA, but you are making the mistake of thinking that anti-CIA is anti West, or even anti-American. This is my position, I am anti-CIA and anti-Federal Reserve - I've got some great former US presidents who are on the same team as me. Were they anti-west too?

Your last link is from shtfplan.com seems to be an Alex Jones-type, Republican, pro RNA "news site" - this is the sort of "media" outlet which gets alternative media all labelled as "conspiracy", and "leftfield" - you should not really entertain these sites for more than 5 seconds, less still associate me with them.

#toxic

Fake News on 15:41 - Jan 17 with 1163 viewscaught-in-limbo

Fake News on 14:14 - Jan 17 by ElderGrizzly

I said it didn't effect the result....

The Huffington Post is. There are other too. Are they all fake news sites?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/douglas-anthony-cooper/russia-stole-the-presiden_b

#toxic

Fake News on 15:45 - Jan 17 with 1151 viewspbishop1799

No 'serious commentator' has come out and said "Russia won it for Trump" - obviously.

But stories like this - and the fake news thing, and the not-so -secret 'dossier' - all serve to de-legitimise Donald Trump's presidency, bit by bit.

News agencies with an inherit opposition to Trump will run such things ad nauseam to undermine him. In truth, Corbyn has suffered similar, if milder, smears from our own hostile media.

It's the job of the press to report things, nearly all things. But as long as the reader/viewer understands that the reporting style is usually driven by an editorial line - and behind it, interests are being met.
Fake News on 15:47 - Jan 17 with 1143 viewsTollycobbold

Fake News on 15:45 - Jan 17 by pbishop1799

No 'serious commentator' has come out and said "Russia won it for Trump" - obviously.

But stories like this - and the fake news thing, and the not-so -secret 'dossier' - all serve to de-legitimise Donald Trump's presidency, bit by bit.

News agencies with an inherit opposition to Trump will run such things ad nauseam to undermine him. In truth, Corbyn has suffered similar, if milder, smears from our own hostile media.

It's the job of the press to report things, nearly all things. But as long as the reader/viewer understands that the reporting style is usually driven by an editorial line - and behind it, interests are being met.

The most succinct way I heard this put was. " if as a journalist you aren't upset setting the establishment, then all you are doing is their PR"
Login to get fewer ads

Fake News on 15:48 - Jan 17 with 1143 viewsWeWereZombies

Fake News on 15:41 - Jan 17 by caught-in-limbo

The Huffington Post is. There are other too. Are they all fake news sites?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/douglas-anthony-cooper/russia-stole-the-presiden_b

Oh, for goodness sake - don't tell me you don't know the difference between effect and affect as well...

#givemestrength

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Fake News on 16:00 - Jan 17 with 1133 viewspbishop1799

Fake News on 15:48 - Jan 17 by WeWereZombies

Oh, for goodness sake - don't tell me you don't know the difference between effect and affect as well...

#givemestrength

The frustrating thing is that, even with all the 'information' out there, we still don't have a clue what's really happening. All these contrasting and sometimes intertwining narratives.

Watch this. I posted it here a couple of years ago, funnily enough. Seems more appropriate than ever:

Fake News on 16:35 - Jan 17 with 1096 viewscaught-in-limbo

"CIA officials had previously said their assessment was that Russia intervened in the election in order to help Donald Trump."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/15/vladimir-putin-personally-directed-ru

"Ultimately, the CIA has assessed, the Russian government wanted to elect Donald Trump."
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/u-s-officials-putin-personally-involved-u-s-

"US intelligence agencies have concluded that Russia interfered in last month’s presidential election to boost Donald Trump’s bid for the White House, according to reports."
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/dec/10/cia-concludes-russia-interfered-

"But of course the sweetest victory came on 8 November. Donald Trump veered wildly during the campaign, but one of the few stances he maintained with iron consistency was his admiration for Putin. The autocrat certainly did all he could to return the favour. As one Kremlin ally puts it, “Maybe we helped a bit with WikiLeaks.” They certainly did.
"Few credible sources doubt that Russia was behind the hacking of internal Democratic party emails, whose release by Julian Assange was timed to cause maximum pain to Hillary Clinton and pleasure for Trump. As a former KGB man, Putin must be proud of what is surely the most successful espionage operation in history, one that succeeded beyond even Moscow’s expectations — installing an admirer and sycophant in the White House."
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/dec/09/person-of-the-year-trump-p

"Russia intervened to help Trump win election: intelligence officials"
"U.S. intelligence agencies have assessed that as the 2016 presidential campaign progressed, Russian government officials devoted increasing attention to assisting Trump's effort to win the election, the U.S. official familiar with the finding told Reuters on Friday night, speaking on condition of anonymity."
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-cyber-russia-idUSKBN13Z05B

All of these articles, bar one, clearly state claims by unnamed intelligence officials that Russian hackers helped Trump win. These "serious newspapers" don't take these agencies/officials to task over these claims, nor do they even express a degree of scepticism.

The Guardian's Jonathan Freedland clearly does suggest Putin brought about a Trump victory.

Are all these newspaper titles and journalists "not serious", or are they simply relaying claims from anonymous representatives from the CIA and other intelligence bodies? The fact these journalists show no scepticism towards these claims certain looks like they support them - if they didn't they would say as much.

#toxic

Fake News on 16:40 - Jan 17 with 1083 viewscaught-in-limbo

Fake News on 11:02 - Jan 17 by lowhouseblue

who has said that trump got elected because of russian hacking ? that's your own fake news.

The CIA.

Are they source of the fake news?

Are they lying that Russia helped Trump get elected?

Or are they lying that Russia hacked into the emails in the first place?

#toxic

Fake News on 16:43 - Jan 17 with 1068 viewslowhouseblue

Fake News on 16:35 - Jan 17 by caught-in-limbo

"CIA officials had previously said their assessment was that Russia intervened in the election in order to help Donald Trump."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/15/vladimir-putin-personally-directed-ru

"Ultimately, the CIA has assessed, the Russian government wanted to elect Donald Trump."
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/u-s-officials-putin-personally-involved-u-s-

"US intelligence agencies have concluded that Russia interfered in last month’s presidential election to boost Donald Trump’s bid for the White House, according to reports."
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/dec/10/cia-concludes-russia-interfered-

"But of course the sweetest victory came on 8 November. Donald Trump veered wildly during the campaign, but one of the few stances he maintained with iron consistency was his admiration for Putin. The autocrat certainly did all he could to return the favour. As one Kremlin ally puts it, “Maybe we helped a bit with WikiLeaks.” They certainly did.
"Few credible sources doubt that Russia was behind the hacking of internal Democratic party emails, whose release by Julian Assange was timed to cause maximum pain to Hillary Clinton and pleasure for Trump. As a former KGB man, Putin must be proud of what is surely the most successful espionage operation in history, one that succeeded beyond even Moscow’s expectations — installing an admirer and sycophant in the White House."
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/dec/09/person-of-the-year-trump-p

"Russia intervened to help Trump win election: intelligence officials"
"U.S. intelligence agencies have assessed that as the 2016 presidential campaign progressed, Russian government officials devoted increasing attention to assisting Trump's effort to win the election, the U.S. official familiar with the finding told Reuters on Friday night, speaking on condition of anonymity."
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-cyber-russia-idUSKBN13Z05B

All of these articles, bar one, clearly state claims by unnamed intelligence officials that Russian hackers helped Trump win. These "serious newspapers" don't take these agencies/officials to task over these claims, nor do they even express a degree of scepticism.

The Guardian's Jonathan Freedland clearly does suggest Putin brought about a Trump victory.

Are all these newspaper titles and journalists "not serious", or are they simply relaying claims from anonymous representatives from the CIA and other intelligence bodies? The fact these journalists show no scepticism towards these claims certain looks like they support them - if they didn't they would say as much.

i can't comment on russia's intent - clearly some people believe they intended to assist trump, equally they may just have been seeking to discredit the process more generally. I don't know.

so that's a question of intent. what I have said is that no serious commentator believes that russian hacking was decisive in determining the outcome. you get the difference? intent v. effect.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Fake News on 16:44 - Jan 17 with 1065 viewslowhouseblue

Fake News on 16:40 - Jan 17 by caught-in-limbo

The CIA.

Are they source of the fake news?

Are they lying that Russia helped Trump get elected?

Or are they lying that Russia hacked into the emails in the first place?

no - the cia have reported on the source of the hacking and what they believe to be the intent behind it.

Fake News on 16:45 - Jan 17 with 1064 viewscaught-in-limbo

Fake News on 15:45 - Jan 17 by pbishop1799

"No 'serious commentator' has come out and said "Russia won it for Trump" - obviously. "

Well actually, individuals representing the CIA speaking on condition of anonymity have said as much. Either the CIA (as reported by serious and non serious commentators alike) are lying, or all those newspapers that reported it just made it up.

#toxic

Fake News on 16:46 - Jan 17 with 1062 viewsTollycobbold

Fake News on 16:44 - Jan 17 by lowhouseblue

no - the cia have reported on the source of the hacking and what they believe to be the intent behind it.

You trust anything the CIA say?
Fake News on 16:50 - Jan 17 with 1059 viewsWeWereZombies

Fake News on 16:46 - Jan 17 by Tollycobbold

You trust anything the CIA say?

But is distrusting everything the CIA broadcast just as gullible as believing it all?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Fake News on 16:56 - Jan 17 with 1056 viewsTollycobbold

Fake News on 16:50 - Jan 17 by WeWereZombies

But is distrusting everything the CIA broadcast just as gullible as believing it all?

Given their past record No. When a body has repeatedly lied, you have to question every single thing they say.
Fake News on 16:58 - Jan 17 with 1057 viewscaught-in-limbo

Fake News on 16:43 - Jan 17 by lowhouseblue

i can't comment on russia's intent - clearly some people believe they intended to assist trump, equally they may just have been seeking to discredit the process more generally. I don't know.

so that's a question of intent. what I have said is that no serious commentator believes that russian hacking was decisive in determining the outcome. you get the difference? intent v. effect.

Jonathan Freedland, The Guardian

Intent and effect

You're way out here is to persist with your line "no serious commentator believes that russian hacking was decisive in determining the outcome". I'm happy to go along with that.

#toxic

Fake News on 17:15 - Jan 17 with 1033 viewsElderGrizzly

Fake News on 16:58 - Jan 17 by caught-in-limbo

Jonathan Freedland, The Guardian

Intent and effect

You're way out here is to persist with your line "no serious commentator believes that russian hacking was decisive in determining the outcome". I'm happy to go along with that.

Which is what i have said throughout here.

While Russia almost certainly was behind some incidents of hacking in the election, it did not influence the outcome.

M - are you Russian as your defence of them without any credible evidence to prove your side is interesting to me. Not a criticism, just interested!
Fake News on 17:32 - Jan 17 with 1020 viewscaught-in-limbo

Fake News on 17:15 - Jan 17 by ElderGrizzly

Which is what i have said throughout here.

While Russia almost certainly was behind some incidents of hacking in the election, it did not influence the outcome.

M - are you Russian as your defence of them without any credible evidence to prove your side is interesting to me. Not a criticism, just interested!

"While Russia almost certainly was behind some incidents of hacking in the election, it did not influence the outcome. "

Eh?

You say the content of the Freedland quote is what you have being saying throughout, but then you say "it did not influence the outcome".... which part of the following quote of Freedland's do you not understand?

"surely the most successful espionage operation in history, one that succeeded beyond even Moscow’s expectations — installing an admirer and sycophant in the White House"

And no, I'm not Russian and I don't read Russian. I am English/Indian living in the Spanish Basque Country.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2017 18:09]

#toxic

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024