Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Relegation, the best thing 03:53 - Feb 1 with 2033 viewsHARRY10

..in the long run ?

Something that would be more hurtful than painful, if that makes sense. But other clubs have done it and bounced back. It would certainly bring things to a head with ME and most likely see him walk away.

One thing we do have is a massive fan base, one that would rally round if they knew that it was in their hands or someone with the same way of thinking. The same passion and belief in our club.

Brighton and Charlton hauled themselves back from far worse positions than we are in now. But the longer this drags on the more we are heading that way.

For far too long this board has been swamped with those all too willing to tell us how ME was 'pumping money in', we were running a Cat 1 academy and the only reason money was so scarce was that ME was religiously striking to FFP.

All of which was a steaming pile of 'hooey' as Milne's revelation that all 'surplus' money is passed over to a central fund to be used by all companies and what comes back, is that supposed money that is being 'pumped in'. Meanwhile huge sums have been received for Walters, Wickham, Creswell, Mings and Murphy with pretty much diddley squat back in return as far as the playing squad is concerned.

MM talked of the numerous million plus offers he had made, but unsurprisingly none were signed, Why one player alone would have really changed much I don't know - more so when all he would have to help him would be the usual scraps and scrappings. It doesn't really sound as if they were ever any genuine offers, just more of the spin we have come used to from Milne.

I don't wish relegation, but like someone with a gangerous leg it might be the best in the long run. If only to stop PR being so empty, to never again have to see so many supporters walk out at half time and to hear so many not angry, but almost resigned to an acceptance of our position and likely fate

Very sad times for all of us.
Relegation, the best thing on 03:56 - Feb 1 with 2032 viewswkj

It works for some clubs, but I highly doubt it would work for us. I feel Charlton have slid back for it to be honest as they are now YoYo-ing between L1 and CH where as they used to dominate in the CH. We also have to consider how it worked out for the likes of Tranmere Rovers and the sort.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Relegation, the best thing on 06:07 - Feb 1 with 1965 viewsSE1blue

Definitely not.

I think we're very similar to Coventry at the moment.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Relegation, the best thing on 06:19 - Feb 1 with 1947 viewsDeano69

The worst possible outcome.

However, it looks like we are preparing well for it.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Relegation, the best thing on 07:30 - Feb 1 with 1851 viewslazyblue

Will never understand why people think relegation is good thing, it would be a disaster on so many levels.
Relegation, the best thing on 07:50 - Feb 1 with 1801 viewsswede

Just ask the supporters of Sheffield United, Bradford City, Coventry City, Charlton Athletic, Portsmouth, Blackpool etc if relegation from the Championship was a good thing.
It would be a disaster for a club in our financial position - same as those listed.
Relegation, the best thing on 08:00 - Feb 1 with 1765 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Relegation is never the best thing, for any club.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Relegation, the best thing on 08:04 - Feb 1 with 1753 viewsParisBlue

It would be disastrous. Just look at our record against lower level teams over the last few years - we'd lose every week.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Relegation, the best thing on 08:13 - Feb 1 with 1711 viewsPinewoodblue

Relegation is one way of getting out of our current predicament but sadly we don't have what it would take to bounce back. We would struggle in Div 1.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

Relegation, the best thing on 08:22 - Feb 1 with 1682 viewsHARRY10

Relegation, the best thing on 07:30 - Feb 1 by lazyblue

Will never understand why people think relegation is good thing, it would be a disaster on so many levels.

Because that is the way we are heading, and the quicker it is done the easier it will be to bounce back.

Conditional on it causing ME to sell up, hand over or whatever. Just get the club out of his hands.

Sure, others have sunk without trace or simply stagnated - but others haven't. And the ones who did fail had serious problems, far worse than what we currently have.

And as to a disaster what is it now. A bright new dawn ?
Relegation, the best thing on 08:24 - Feb 1 with 1662 viewsBluebell

Relegation can never be 'the best thing'.

We would lose any good players we have and the chances are we will turn out like Sheffield United who can't get back up again.
Relegation, the best thing on 08:29 - Feb 1 with 1621 viewsGlasgowBlue

You posted something similar a few months ago. Nobody agreed with you then.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Relegation, the best thing on 08:38 - Feb 1 with 1559 viewschislehurstblue

I agree with a lot of this post

We are operating on almost a L1 budget
The owner has lost interest
I very much doubt we made any offers or at least serious offers this window, a bit like trying to buy a £1m house for £200k.
Evans is using FFP as an excuse - no other club is adhering to it.
We are heading towards league 1 and the players we are bringing in (other championship loanees) suggests thats where we see ourselves)
Evans is now using player sales to avoid putting money into the club or at least not as much.
This window has put more distance between the fans and the club. Now supporters know 100% the club is lying and treating us like mugs
Wouldnt be surprised to see ticket prices go up again this year due to lower number of tickets (the club will use the fact that % of fans will still go next season even if prices are higher)
In previous years the aim has been play offs, now the focus is to survive in the championship and will be going forward for many years.

However, league 1 isnt the answer. We need to stay up and keep up. My concern is that we need a manager that can get the best out of average / poor players and ME doesnt have a good record of appointing managers. Its look like MM has had enough and we need someone like him that can get the best out of players that clearly arent up to this level in order to stay up.

The club is dead. Evans is the issue. Changing the manager isnt suddenly going to make ME splash the cash even in order to make our championship survival year on year a little easier.
Relegation, the best thing on 08:39 - Feb 1 with 1551 viewsDoobDude

Relegation only works if it also involves a change of owner.
I think Leicester and Southampton both got new owners whilst poor old Coventry are stuck with SISU.

If Evans does not sell the club then relegation would be a disaster.

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? What do you mean? An African or European swallow? Huh? I... I don't know that ... Auuuuuuuugh.
Poll: Whi is getting sold to fund the Webster Signing

Relegation, the best thing on 08:44 - Feb 1 with 1529 viewsyorkshireblue

Relegation, the best thing on 08:24 - Feb 1 by Bluebell

Relegation can never be 'the best thing'.

We would lose any good players we have and the chances are we will turn out like Sheffield United who can't get back up again.

We'd actually be worse off than Sheffield United, whose attendances despite being a league below are significantly higher than ours.

We are closer to Bradford/Coventry who are and have been struggling even more, and there is no certainty that we won't 'do a Pompey'.

I think the best we can hope for, is pick up a few points over a difficult month to try ensure we are safe, allowing Mick to blood some of the youngsters. Some won't be good enough, some might be, but unless they are exposed to Championship football how will we know. But if MM knows he'll be off at the end of the season, why will he care?
Relegation, the best thing on 08:50 - Feb 1 with 1485 viewsSwansea_Blue

No. We'll be more sellable in the Championship, and I think that's the priority.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Relegation, the best thing on 08:57 - Feb 1 with 1455 viewsNo9

Very sad times indeed.
I am not convinced relegation would be good because in the pit of my stomach I feel it would be followed by - relegation.
We have to face facts; Ipswich is a small county Town in a relatively low populated area and has very low wages for those in work.
This would not be very atractive to any potential owner who would only see ITFC as a black hole into which large amounts of drinking vouchers disappear.
Absolutely not on 09:07 - Feb 1 with 1419 viewsDyland

What new owner who feels the same as fans is going to come in? I agree we need a new strategy/owner. But we'll achieve this with relegation? I don't think so.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024