Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When Mick leaves in summer 14:28 - Feb 1 with 10288 viewsKieranMcKenna1

Who would you replace him with? I would say Steve Cotterill or Tony Mowbray as realistic choices.

Poll: Are you Mick out or Mick in?

When Mick leaves in summer on 15:12 - Feb 1 with 1476 viewsMJallday

Roy Keane or Paul Jewell

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

When Mick leaves in summer on 15:13 - Feb 1 with 1472 viewssoupytwist

When Mick leaves in summer on 15:04 - Feb 1 by ClausThomsen

Cook's failed at other clubs, Cowley's had 3 jobs - Concord (where he won 3 promotions and 3 cups), Braintree (another promotion) and now his first season with Lincoln (looks like a promotion as champions, plus beating us over 2 legs and now Brighton).

Cowley's on a trajectory that Cook's never been on. Someone's going to give him a chance, and rightly so.

Why not us?

Just to correct one thing, the Cowleys did not get Braintree to the National League. Braintree were already at that level when they arrived for their only season in charge and got them to the playoffs through a third place finish which in itself was pretty impressive.
When Mick leaves in summer on 15:16 - Feb 1 with 1460 viewsrickw

I don't know who as I don't watch enough lower league or foreign matches to recommend a manager, however the next manager needs to play football the right way and believes in homegrown youth players - these are both in Evans's plan and neither are natural to McCarthy

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

When Mick leaves in summer on 15:17 - Feb 1 with 1454 viewsclive_baker

When Mick leaves in summer on 14:52 - Feb 1 by Bigalhunter

This time last year there was a clamour for Paul Cook, based solely on two cup games where we didn't turn up.
This time it's Danny Cowley who wouldn't be anyone's radar if it wasn't for.. two cup games where we didn't turn up.
As for Darrell Clarke, have you watched Bristol Rovers? Route one doesn't begin to describe it.
Darren Sarll anyone?

I've known Danny for a while, I spent some time at Braintree before he joined them and know a lot of people at the club. He's far more than 2 matches against us trust me. He goes about things the right way and you won't find anyone that can say a bad word about his approach to management. I also think he would provide us with what we're missing, developing young players and getting the ball on the deck which is a frustration of many town fans.

As for Bristol Rovers, not seen much of them to be honest but having lived in Bristol I've got a few Gas head mates who rave about him. He also is used to working to a pretty limited budget and getting the best out of what he's got available to him. The reality is that's what we need, we're not going to be outspending a lot of teams at this level. We need someone who can work with what we've got, develop our young players and get the team playing better football and with a smile on their faces. The only way we'll compete at this level is if we over index in terms of spend and resource. Both have proven their ability to do that. In Mick's defence, he did too but I feel he's run his race here.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

When Mick leaves in summer on 15:19 - Feb 1 with 1439 viewsbluejacko

We would get whichever one of Harry Rednap;s mates who needs a cushy safe job for a bit!
For me got to go and take a chance and as already been said there is something about them Cowleys.
When Mick leaves in summer on 15:20 - Feb 1 with 1435 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

When Mick leaves in summer on 15:10 - Feb 1 by Darryl

Excellent choice. I live in South Devon and have witnessed him pulling rabbits out of hats for a number of seasons. I'd take him as Ipswich manager tomorrow.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2017 15:16]

Worked miracles on probably the smallest budget in the football league whilst continuing to play some very attractive football, bringing through youth players as he hasn't been able to bring many else in.

The fact that Swansea tried appointing him before Rodgers and then again before Laudrup shows that he is highly regarded as well as loyal to Exeter. Also heard Southampton supposedly interested in him before. When he eventually leaves Exeter I expect he'll go on to be a success, just seems a little odd he hasn't left there yet..
When Mick leaves in summer on 15:25 - Feb 1 with 1413 viewssoupytwist

When Mick leaves in summer on 15:20 - Feb 1 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Worked miracles on probably the smallest budget in the football league whilst continuing to play some very attractive football, bringing through youth players as he hasn't been able to bring many else in.

The fact that Swansea tried appointing him before Rodgers and then again before Laudrup shows that he is highly regarded as well as loyal to Exeter. Also heard Southampton supposedly interested in him before. When he eventually leaves Exeter I expect he'll go on to be a success, just seems a little odd he hasn't left there yet..

I can’t remember the specifics but in the chapter about him in Living on the Volcano he just seems happy where he is and would be very choosy about where he went and when. Would we be able to offer him what he wants? I’m not sure and I think that some of what might make him wary is on the terraces and in the club structure.

Also, do we have somewhere that he can get his natty clobber? Not sure Coes would cut it to be honest!
When Mick leaves in summer on 15:27 - Feb 1 with 1407 viewsIpswichTownNL

Alex Pastoor.

Dutch Tractor Boys! Follow on Twitter; @IpswichTownNL

Login to get fewer ads

When Mick leaves in summer on 15:34 - Feb 1 with 1375 viewsLightningboy

One thing i'm 95% sure of is it'll be another bad decision.

For me..
Holland/Burley
Paul Tisdale
Nigel Clough
..are a few suggestions.
When Mick leaves in summer on 15:34 - Feb 1 with 1374 viewsyorksblue

ONeil and Magilton
When Mick leaves in summer on 15:39 - Feb 1 with 1360 viewsTheBlueBarca

Nigel Clough would have been my choice, great on a shoestring, gets his sides playing football, nice guy and right attitude. Ipswich would have been perfect for him.

Everyone on this forum is always wrong.
Poll: Should Tommy Smith be awarded a Testimonial at Ipswich?

When Mick leaves in summer on 15:43 - Feb 1 with 1340 viewsrickw

When Mick leaves in summer on 15:34 - Feb 1 by Lightningboy

One thing i'm 95% sure of is it'll be another bad decision.

For me..
Holland/Burley
Paul Tisdale
Nigel Clough
..are a few suggestions.

Personally I'd get rid of Mick now and ask Burley to take over until the end of the season, having Ipswich people running the team may start to get some fans back on side.

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

When Mick leaves in summer on 15:44 - Feb 1 with 1338 viewsbontcho

Gary Rowett an option? Did really well at Birmingham with a similar club.

Bulgarian penalty hero
Poll: Which Harrison should we sign?

When Mick leaves in summer on 15:47 - Feb 1 with 1332 viewsBigalhunter

When Mick leaves in summer on 15:17 - Feb 1 by clive_baker

I've known Danny for a while, I spent some time at Braintree before he joined them and know a lot of people at the club. He's far more than 2 matches against us trust me. He goes about things the right way and you won't find anyone that can say a bad word about his approach to management. I also think he would provide us with what we're missing, developing young players and getting the ball on the deck which is a frustration of many town fans.

As for Bristol Rovers, not seen much of them to be honest but having lived in Bristol I've got a few Gas head mates who rave about him. He also is used to working to a pretty limited budget and getting the best out of what he's got available to him. The reality is that's what we need, we're not going to be outspending a lot of teams at this level. We need someone who can work with what we've got, develop our young players and get the team playing better football and with a smile on their faces. The only way we'll compete at this level is if we over index in terms of spend and resource. Both have proven their ability to do that. In Mick's defence, he did too but I feel he's run his race here.

Fair enough, it was meant as a dig at the shallow collective who base their wish list solely on whoever manages the team that knocks us out of a cup.
Quite a long list with Mick's attitude to cup ties.
From what you say, Danny Cowley sounds like an excellent up & coming manager.
My brother in-law is a Rovers fan and I've seen them regularly over the last 4 years.
He's done a superb job in rescuing them from the abyss, but it isn't at all pretty.
When Mick leaves in summer on 15:52 - Feb 1 with 1306 viewsNeverTellMeTheOdds

When Mick leaves in summer on 15:47 - Feb 1 by Bigalhunter

Fair enough, it was meant as a dig at the shallow collective who base their wish list solely on whoever manages the team that knocks us out of a cup.
Quite a long list with Mick's attitude to cup ties.
From what you say, Danny Cowley sounds like an excellent up & coming manager.
My brother in-law is a Rovers fan and I've seen them regularly over the last 4 years.
He's done a superb job in rescuing them from the abyss, but it isn't at all pretty.

Not all football is pretty, even the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal etc have to win ugly from time to time.

As long as the majority of football is played in the right manor then I think that can be forgiven. The football under McCarthy has been some of the worst I have witnessed in football-its a throw back to an era that doesnt exist any more. Yet I am sure Mick will still get another job after us-god help them though!

Poll: Will the new season ticket prices make you renew for the 2017/2018 season?

When Mick leaves in summer on 16:24 - Feb 1 with 1253 viewscasanovacrow

When Mick leaves in summer on 14:29 - Feb 1 by GrahamHarbey

If ME has the same budgetary constraints, I hope we stick with Mick!

Micks wages have got to be far too high for a league 1 club. Not that I'm deliberately pessimistic or anything
When Mick leaves in summer on 16:27 - Feb 1 with 1252 viewsDoobDude

Nigel Adkins, his last 2 appointments have ended up with the sack but I still feel he has a lot to offer. If he is not available then Nadil Abidallah.

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? What do you mean? An African or European swallow? Huh? I... I don't know that ... Auuuuuuuugh.
Poll: Whi is getting sold to fund the Webster Signing

When Mick leaves in summer on 16:28 - Feb 1 with 1249 viewshype313

When Mick leaves in summer on 16:27 - Feb 1 by DoobDude

Nigel Adkins, his last 2 appointments have ended up with the sack but I still feel he has a lot to offer. If he is not available then Nadil Abidallah.

Or his brother Nabil.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

When Mick leaves in summer on 16:33 - Feb 1 with 1243 viewsPhilTWTD

When Mick leaves in summer on 14:48 - Feb 1 by SWGF

I reckon it'll be Mowbray. Ticks a LOT of ME boxes.

That would be my guess. Has nearly been given the job by ME on a couple of occasions previously.
When Mick leaves in summer on 16:36 - Feb 1 with 1228 viewsPhilTWTD

When Mick leaves in summer on 15:17 - Feb 1 by clive_baker

Was talking about Cowley with an ex-player when people started mentioning him as a potential next manager after the Lincoln games and he said he thought it would be difficult for someone like him with no Football League experience as either a manager or a player to take charge of a club at this level, might not get the respect of experienced pros. Think he'd probably need to work his way up rather than being thrown in at the deep end.
When Mick leaves in summer on 16:40 - Feb 1 with 1207 viewssolemio

When Mick leaves in summer on 15:03 - Feb 1 by Bigalhunter

I can't help feeling he's a total chancer who's somehow managing to eke out a living in management.
On paper he did a decent job at Hull before it fell apart spectacularly, and he's somehow dragging Southend back towards the Championship.
Just can't work out how he's doing it. He's absolutely clueless as a co-commentator & summariser.

Perhaps he doesn't need to do a lot of co-commentating or summarising as Southend manager.
When Mick leaves in summer on 16:41 - Feb 1 with 1202 viewsMattinLondon

When Mick leaves in summer on 16:36 - Feb 1 by PhilTWTD

Was talking about Cowley with an ex-player when people started mentioning him as a potential next manager after the Lincoln games and he said he thought it would be difficult for someone like him with no Football League experience as either a manager or a player to take charge of a club at this level, might not get the respect of experienced pros. Think he'd probably need to work his way up rather than being thrown in at the deep end.

Given the fact that our present circumstance is as result of the dire performances of the experienced players - they would have a bit of a nerve not lending respect to anyone.
When Mick leaves in summer on 16:43 - Feb 1 with 1194 viewsPhilTWTD

When Mick leaves in summer on 16:41 - Feb 1 by MattinLondon

Given the fact that our present circumstance is as result of the dire performances of the experienced players - they would have a bit of a nerve not lending respect to anyone.

Think it would be the same in any field though, someone relatively junior and inexperienced put in charge of more experienced personnel probably wouldn't get the respect they might hope for.
When Mick leaves in summer on 16:45 - Feb 1 with 1183 viewshype313

When Mick leaves in summer on 16:43 - Feb 1 by PhilTWTD

Think it would be the same in any field though, someone relatively junior and inexperienced put in charge of more experienced personnel probably wouldn't get the respect they might hope for.

The caveat to that is Howe and Mourinho didn't do too badly given their respective lack of experience.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

When Mick leaves in summer on 16:46 - Feb 1 with 1178 viewsPhilTWTD

When Mick leaves in summer on 16:45 - Feb 1 by hype313

The caveat to that is Howe and Mourinho didn't do too badly given their respective lack of experience.

But they made steadier climbs up the levels rather than suddenly leaping from National League to the Championship.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024