Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When Mick leaves in summer 14:28 - Feb 1 with 10274 viewsKieranMcKenna1

Who would you replace him with? I would say Steve Cotterill or Tony Mowbray as realistic choices.

Poll: Are you Mick out or Mick in?

When Mick leaves in summer on 16:47 - Feb 1 with 1867 viewsclive_baker

When Mick leaves in summer on 16:36 - Feb 1 by PhilTWTD

Was talking about Cowley with an ex-player when people started mentioning him as a potential next manager after the Lincoln games and he said he thought it would be difficult for someone like him with no Football League experience as either a manager or a player to take charge of a club at this level, might not get the respect of experienced pros. Think he'd probably need to work his way up rather than being thrown in at the deep end.

That would definitely be a challenge unfortunately. Having said that Roy Keane wasn't overly successful despite having a wealth of experience and respect. I don't think it takes players to look at the manager and think 'Champions league medal or not, you're a bit of a nob'. I think it works both ways. DC has an infectious personality, and although Lincoln are Conference you could've said the same when he stepped up from PE teacher and Braintree boss to take that job. He's really bright, I don't think it would take him long to get his players onside, especially if he had a whole summer to get people on board and sign a couple himself. Your point remains though, definitely a massive jump from Conference (or L2 as he's likely to be in a few months) to Championship (or L1 as we're likely to be in a few months :-) )

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

When Mick leaves in summer on 16:49 - Feb 1 with 1854 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Paul Mariner/Terry Butcher, John McGreal, Taricco. Personally want an old boy who understands the club. And before anyone says oh they've done nothing, well MM and the two managers before have been awful and the four ive mentioned will do a better job and CARE about the club and its fans.

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

When Mick leaves in summer on 16:50 - Feb 1 with 1853 viewsMattinLondon

When Mick leaves in summer on 16:43 - Feb 1 by PhilTWTD

Think it would be the same in any field though, someone relatively junior and inexperienced put in charge of more experienced personnel probably wouldn't get the respect they might hope for.

Yeah, guess you're right.
When Mick leaves in summer on 16:50 - Feb 1 with 1853 viewsPhilTWTD

When Mick leaves in summer on 16:47 - Feb 1 by clive_baker

That would definitely be a challenge unfortunately. Having said that Roy Keane wasn't overly successful despite having a wealth of experience and respect. I don't think it takes players to look at the manager and think 'Champions league medal or not, you're a bit of a nob'. I think it works both ways. DC has an infectious personality, and although Lincoln are Conference you could've said the same when he stepped up from PE teacher and Braintree boss to take that job. He's really bright, I don't think it would take him long to get his players onside, especially if he had a whole summer to get people on board and sign a couple himself. Your point remains though, definitely a massive jump from Conference (or L2 as he's likely to be in a few months) to Championship (or L1 as we're likely to be in a few months :-) )

He may well prove to have the talent to make at this level. Seemed like a decent bloke in the press conferences after our games so I could see players taking to him and wanting to work for him.
When Mick leaves in summer on 16:51 - Feb 1 with 1851 viewshype313

When Mick leaves in summer on 16:46 - Feb 1 by PhilTWTD

But they made steadier climbs up the levels rather than suddenly leaping from National League to the Championship.

It would be a huge jump, granted, but sometimes you have to think outside the box.

I loved Mogga as player, but I don't buy this ex player should bring us success line, we have seen on numerous occasions how this can be a disaster, Shearer at Newcastle being one.

To get sacked by Celtic with a worse record than Barnes doesn't instill the greatest confidence!

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

When Mick leaves in summer on 16:52 - Feb 1 with 1842 viewsnbsiyag

When Mick leaves in summer on 15:03 - Feb 1 by Bigalhunter

I can't help feeling he's a total chancer who's somehow managing to eke out a living in management.
On paper he did a decent job at Hull before it fell apart spectacularly, and he's somehow dragging Southend back towards the Championship.
Just can't work out how he's doing it. He's absolutely clueless as a co-commentator & summariser.

From the Southend forums he seems now to be winning over their fans. As we are now a basket case of a club, he may be one of only a few realistic options.
When Mick leaves in summer on 16:58 - Feb 1 with 1826 viewsgerard1947

Tony Mowbray is a lovely bloke and one of my favourite players at Town. My heart says I'd love to see him get the job, my head says not so sure. He hasn't set the world alight as a manager, to be fair anyone may struggle with our current funding constraints.

I wonder if our fans can accept mid table mediocrity but with decent football. It may be the best we will get for a bit.
When Mick leaves in summer on 17:01 - Feb 1 with 1825 viewsnbsiyag

When Mick leaves in summer on 16:49 - Feb 1 by Jonnosdreadlocks

Paul Mariner/Terry Butcher, John McGreal, Taricco. Personally want an old boy who understands the club. And before anyone says oh they've done nothing, well MM and the two managers before have been awful and the four ive mentioned will do a better job and CARE about the club and its fans.

Going for an ex player as the sole criteria rather reinforces the perception that we are obsessed with our past, Being continually reminded how great we were many years ago must be tedious for players who were not even born then.
Perhaps TWTD is symptomatic of our problems.
Login to get fewer ads

When Mick leaves in summer on 17:04 - Feb 1 with 1812 viewsArnieM

The previous Brentford manager who went to Glasgow Rangers.

His Brentford team plated fast passing football and ripped it for much of the season before their owners decided to go for a foreign manager.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

When Mick leaves in summer on 17:06 - Feb 1 with 1797 viewsclive_baker

When Mick leaves in summer on 17:04 - Feb 1 by ArnieM

The previous Brentford manager who went to Glasgow Rangers.

His Brentford team plated fast passing football and ripped it for much of the season before their owners decided to go for a foreign manager.

Can't imagine Warburton would leave Rangers for us.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

When Mick leaves in summer on 17:15 - Feb 1 with 1773 viewsPilgrimblue

When Mick leaves in summer on 15:10 - Feb 1 by Darryl

Excellent choice. I live in South Devon and have witnessed him pulling rabbits out of hats for a number of seasons. I'd take him as Ipswich manager tomorrow.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2017 15:16]

Good shout as are the Cowley bros. The important thing is that we need a manager that will bring better coaching and style of play. I guess no one would come if Evans said there was no funds to strengthen squad.
Personally I'd go for any ex-player who was up to challenge, not another MM
When Mick leaves in summer on 17:32 - Feb 1 with 1750 viewsBlueLikeJazz

When Mick leaves in summer on 14:38 - Feb 1 by clive_baker

I would like to see us take a bit of a 'punt' on someone up and coming, with an eye on a shorter and less direct style of play.

Danny Cowley
Darrell Clarke

I have 1 or 2 other lesser known coaches I would love to see get a chance to step up, people I've worked with who have never failed to impress me and have proven results, albeit at a lower level. Just hope Evans doesn't go for a 'name' like Shearer or Neville.

Would quite like to see Matt Holland in the setup somewhere too.

Unless he's changed his mind lately, Holland doesn't want to go into coaching/management, I remember him saying. Not quite sure why people keep touting him.
When Mick leaves in summer on 17:35 - Feb 1 with 1747 viewsmonty_radio

I think any of these experienced guys, indeed anyone worth his salt, after an examination of the club would want the assurances that Mick clearly isn't getting.

I note that some in this thread continue to maintain that only Mick could save us in our current situation. In which case, I'd say that the "I've done it wherever I've been for decades" exterior is beginning to be belied by the capturing of several recent hangdog moments.

And if I'm wrong on that gentlemen: consider the wider pall of depression, hopelessness, disbelief and powerlessness that seems to be descending on every hand. The possibility of change without deep reconstruction is receding daily.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2017 18:05]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

When Mick leaves in summer on 17:43 - Feb 1 with 1736 viewstrueblue_jc

Gary Rowett would be my choice...
When Mick leaves in summer on 17:45 - Feb 1 with 1731 viewsfeelingblue

Mariner and Butcher are both older than McCarthy and have been notably less successful, so why should they suddenly do a better job?

McGreal has a lot to prove still, although he is doing OKish, and Taricco has no experience as a manager.

If you really think that there is some merit in having an ex player involved (I don't) then you could make a much better case for Poyet and Taricco.
When Mick leaves in summer on 17:53 - Feb 1 with 1721 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

He'll probably reappoint Keane

Or give TC the job

Or give it to Kenny Jackett

I'd go for the cowleys, the Wycombe guy or someone like that

But does it matter? Mourinho or sir Alex wouldn't manage to get us promoted on our budget

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

When Mick leaves in summer on 18:19 - Feb 1 with 1701 viewsYallop

Alan Pardew
When Mick leaves in summer on 18:28 - Feb 1 with 1681 viewsHerbivore

We have a non-footballing chairman and CEO so we've needed to have managers at the club capable of being hands on across all areas of the footballing side of ITFC. There's no way coaches like the Cowleys could come in and be a like for like replacement for Mick. It'd be too much for them and almost certainly it'd be a disaster. If we want to take a punt on a young, up and coming coach we either need to replace Milne with someone with a lot more experience of the day to day running of a football club or we need to appoint a director of football to oversee a lot of the footballing business and leaving the coach(es) to focus purely on the team. I actually think Mick wouldn't be too bad in that kind of role to be honest.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

When Mick leaves in summer on 18:31 - Feb 1 with 1674 viewsSuperfrans

Mowbray.
He will appeal to Evans on so many levels.

Available immediately.
Therefore cheap.
Previously promoted from the Championship.
Previous club links (this will be much more importent to Evans this time, I'm sure)
Admired/respected by fans.
Will know the club structure.
Widely respected.
Gets teams playing decent football.

Would be amazed if it wasn't him.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

When Mick leaves in summer on 19:05 - Feb 1 with 1627 viewsmaplelad

Nigel Pearson - if you look at his track record, he's decent. Doesn't take any nonsense and tries to play football the right way. Didn't he get interviewed before one of our other appointments?
[Post edited 1 Feb 2017 19:10]
When Mick leaves in summer on 19:42 - Feb 1 with 1575 viewsmonty_radio

When Mick leaves in summer on 19:05 - Feb 1 by maplelad

Nigel Pearson - if you look at his track record, he's decent. Doesn't take any nonsense and tries to play football the right way. Didn't he get interviewed before one of our other appointments?

I think you would want someone a bit less confrontational under challenge. The fans have had enough backhanders for a while. The whole club and town could do with someone a little more winsome as its public face.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2017 19:52]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

When Mick leaves in summer on 19:50 - Feb 1 with 1575 viewsPhilTWTD

When Mick leaves in summer on 19:05 - Feb 1 by maplelad

He missed out when Jim was appointed. They were the final two candidates. I think he'd expect a job where he would have more money to spend than here. Think he'd be a very good appointment though, even if he did call a friend of mine an ostrich.
When Mick leaves in summer on 19:59 - Feb 1 with 1542 viewsThe_Last_Baron

When Mick leaves in summer on 16:33 - Feb 1 by PhilTWTD

That would be my guess. Has nearly been given the job by ME on a couple of occasions previously.

If ME gives the job to Mowbray I won't know whether to laugh or cry.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

When Mick leaves in summer on 20:03 - Feb 1 with 1523 viewsHerbivore

When Mick leaves in summer on 19:59 - Feb 1 by The_Last_Baron

If ME gives the job to Mowbray I won't know whether to laugh or cry.

Is getting behind him not an option then?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

When Mick leaves in summer on 20:05 - Feb 1 with 1523 viewssuperfan

I'll do it. £500 a week and I guarantee you all more entertainment than this dinosaur is feeding us.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024