Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What do you do when you don't know what to do? 17:42 - Feb 8 with 5164 viewsThisIsMyUsername

I'm 25 and have no idea anymore what I want to do with my life. I spent 22/23 years only wanting to ever do one particular job which is what I was consciously always working towards but now having worked in the same industry (but a different job) I know enough about it now that I can't bring myself to want to do it anymore.

So I'm now in a position where I have absolutely no idea what my calling is. I also don't live in a particularly inspiring part of the world which makes me utterly bored. I'd love to get out and live a bit more but how do you do that when you don't know what it is you want to do as a career/vocation?

Very bad times. Anyone else been in this situation?

(Inspired by the career change thread).
[Post edited 8 Feb 2017 17:43]

@veterans_project on Instagram. Please follow the page.
Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:27 - Feb 8 with 2464 viewsThisIsMyUsername

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:20 - Feb 8 by connorscontract

And, if it is less scary to start with, you could qualify then TEFL here to gain experience and confidence before heading abroad in 6 months to a year. You could research local TEFL colleges and maybe contact one to ask about the employment prospects locally, currently.

Look at all your answers and see if this fits, for you as a 2 to 5 year plan.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2017 18:21]

Cheers mate. Really good questions that you've asked me and I will definitely give them all the thought it deserves.

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:28 - Feb 8 with 2460 viewsgordon

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:14 - Feb 8 by ThisIsMyUsername

I looked in to that extensively a while ago and had a place on a CELTA course but ended up not doing it in the end. I've been looking at it again online and a lot of people seem to be saying that without a degree or previous teaching experience it's very tough to land a decent teaching job in a desirable country?

This info is a bit our of date*

A degree shouldn't make a difference - and it depends what you mean by desirable - S and W Europe is very competitive for jobs, lots of English want to go to Spain to teach, basically. Germany/Holland/Belguim and Scandinavia don't hire native speakers, but if you wanted to go somewhere interesting in E Europe, or the Caucasus for example, it's easy to get jobs as long as you've got CELTA. Lots of people in E European cities teach without any qualifications at all, so a CELTA will def get you a job.

If it's something you're genuinely interested in, not doing it because it's tough to get a job doesn't make sense. If you're willng to go somewhere interesting, then you'll get a job.
What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:31 - Feb 8 with 2444 viewsThisIsMyUsername

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:28 - Feb 8 by gordon

This info is a bit our of date*

A degree shouldn't make a difference - and it depends what you mean by desirable - S and W Europe is very competitive for jobs, lots of English want to go to Spain to teach, basically. Germany/Holland/Belguim and Scandinavia don't hire native speakers, but if you wanted to go somewhere interesting in E Europe, or the Caucasus for example, it's easy to get jobs as long as you've got CELTA. Lots of people in E European cities teach without any qualifications at all, so a CELTA will def get you a job.

If it's something you're genuinely interested in, not doing it because it's tough to get a job doesn't make sense. If you're willng to go somewhere interesting, then you'll get a job.

I first considered it when I was doing a French course in France in 2015 and I thought to myself that the teachers all seemed like they really enjoyed teaching their language to people who wanted to learn it.

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:36 - Feb 8 with 2431 viewsgordon

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:31 - Feb 8 by ThisIsMyUsername

I first considered it when I was doing a French course in France in 2015 and I thought to myself that the teachers all seemed like they really enjoyed teaching their language to people who wanted to learn it.

The French are certainly proud of their language! It is definitely a fun thing, teaching language, and if you've learnt another language already, that will make you better than 95% of the other TEFL teachers out their, because you'll understand all grammar stuff.

I spent some time in Georgia and Armenia more recently working on birds (what I do now), and I'd definitely choose to go to that part of the world if I could have my TEFL years again. Really interesting histories, beautiful countries, friendly, humble people. Awful drivers, though.
What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:42 - Feb 8 with 2412 viewsJohnny_Boy

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 17:58 - Feb 8 by caught-in-limbo

You appear to have no real ties or obligations in life. You're incredibly lucky. Don't waste it. Travel.

This.

I'm incredibly lucky myself. No mortgage hanging over me, no kids, no pets.
The world is your oyster. Take a year out & travel.
What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:46 - Feb 8 with 2406 viewsJohnny_Boy

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:17 - Feb 8 by Swansea_Blue

If you do something like that you won't come back in exactly the same position: you'll have your newfound experiences, inspirations, confidence and maybe even contacts to draw on. Besides, it's a massive cliche but the knack is to enjoy the journey, not focus on the destination.

Follow your heart, decide, commit and go for it. If traveling appeals, to work or just see the world, do it now while you don't have the commitments.

I'm in a similar boat but bogged down with commitments (family, kids, mortgage) and a decently paid job that everyone tells me I'm lucky to have, but I hate it and know there's more fun out there. I'd love the chance to be a free spirit again.

I have got permission to go to Villa though, so it's not all bad

A once in a lifetime trip to Villa

Y'know what, Villa Park is one (fairly accessible - not Old Trafford or Anfield) ground I've never made it to.
What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:58 - Feb 8 with 2387 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Is Voluntary Service Overseas still an option ? Failing this form a punk band, buy a bus and wish that Thatcher had never been born !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 19:07 - Feb 8 with 2370 viewsJohnny_Boy

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:12 - Feb 8 by giant_stow

Out of interest, what's put you off being a rozzer?

NFT
[Post edited 10 Feb 2017 4:42]
Login to get fewer ads

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 19:22 - Feb 8 with 2350 viewsconnorscontract

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:13 - Feb 8 by factual_blue

Is cheese-making an option?

I brielieve it might be. He did say he'd looked into a job in Normandy... maybe he couldn't face the dairy grind.
What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 20:17 - Feb 8 with 2317 viewsNewcyBlue

If you've not got any major financial burdens I highly recommend joining the Merchant Navy and training to become an Officer.

You see the world, you get paid to do it.

There are 2 disciplines. Deck and Engineering. Deck is Navigating, Cargo work, Maintenance of Life Saving Appliances, Fire Fighting Equipment, the decks, etc. Engineering is the Engines, Steering, Boilers, Winches, Pumps, etc.

You don't pay tax, you earn a decent whack, and you're at home between 4 and 6 months of the year.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 22:26 - Feb 8 with 2271 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

https://www.vsointernational.org/

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 22:37 - Feb 8 with 2250 viewsconnorscontract

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:27 - Feb 8 by ThisIsMyUsername

Cheers mate. Really good questions that you've asked me and I will definitely give them all the thought it deserves.

I would encourage you to try to brainstorm as many different jobs as you can that meet all the criteria.

Then from all of those pick 4 or 5 which you'd consider, and make up a list of pros and cons for each.

Then rank them accordingly.

Then make a list of the things that are stopping you doing the Number 1 ranked job right now, then do the same for the others.

The aim is to find one that ticks all the boxes and which is achievable in the very near future OR if there's one that stands out as being THE job for you, but that you can't start straight away, come up with a plan that will overcome the obstacles, commit to it, and make progress on it as quickly as possible.

There's two issues that have come up in the thread: your disillusionment with a long-held dream and a prior tendency to not follow through on big life changes.

Find YOUR plan and commit to it.
What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 23:45 - Feb 8 with 2228 viewsBorisOrTrevor

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 17:58 - Feb 8 by caught-in-limbo

You appear to have no real ties or obligations in life. You're incredibly lucky. Don't waste it. Travel.

Wish I had done this, but guess it is never too late....

BOT

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 00:10 - Feb 9 with 2214 viewsconnorscontract

Jono: This is a recurring theme in the thread, and will be something that middle aged people with commitments will say, because they (we, me included!) are tied down and dreaming of a more exciting life.

It may be right for you at the moment, it may not. Take note that lots of us wish we'd traveled more, but if something else comes up which you feel is more "you" that would be UK based, don't be swayed by a load of old codgers who basically wish we had more sunshine and weren't stuck in offices all day!
What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 17:25 - Feb 9 with 2123 viewsSwansea_Blue

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 18:46 - Feb 8 by Johnny_Boy

A once in a lifetime trip to Villa

Y'know what, Villa Park is one (fairly accessible - not Old Trafford or Anfield) ground I've never made it to.

An iconic ground too. Definitely worth a trip, although I suspect it won't be the same as usual on Saturday as I think they've closed part of the home areas this season due to lack of demand.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 19:37 - Feb 9 with 2085 viewsWeWereZombies

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 23:45 - Feb 8 by BorisOrTrevor

Wish I had done this, but guess it is never too late....

I'm 61 and I travel as much as funds and inclination allow - still backpack, occasionally stay in youth hostels, bunkhouses and camp (including camping wild - legal in Scotland). When the weather gets a bit warmer I have promised to myself to make some use of bothys. None of this really helps the OP but travel does seem to appeal and there are other things to do with a backpack on than skulk around some city centre hostel, especially with good French - GRs for example (Long distance footpaths in France - Grand Randonees), ah, there is another thing I have never done to add to the list after staying in a bothy.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 19:59 - Feb 9 with 2076 viewsoldbluestu

What first attracted you to 22/23 years of wanting the job of lettuce chopper at Mcdonalds? Maybe use that same desire to find a better job ?
What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 20:19 - Feb 9 with 2057 viewsfabian_illness

A lot of people are telling you to travel while you can, if that's your thing, brilliant.

Travel doesn't interest me in the slightest and I'm really happy in my surroundings, so my ideas may differ from the norm.
Just to clarify, I'm not saying the travellers are wrong!!!

I would encourage you to study, qualifications you can fall back on at any point in life.
A trade maybe or some nationally recognised quals relating to languages (you obviously have a talent). Anything that proves your understanding in a field you enjoy.
It may sound boring but I spent 7 years at college on various building trade based city and guilds/NVQ courses and I know whatever happens in life, while people live in houses I can find myself work of some description.

If you have qualifications, you have the freedom and reassurance you can provide for yourself before, during or after you decide to go off on an epic adventure.
What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 20:30 - Feb 9 with 2034 viewsDarth_Koont

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 19:59 - Feb 9 by oldbluestu

What first attracted you to 22/23 years of wanting the job of lettuce chopper at Mcdonalds? Maybe use that same desire to find a better job ?

Don't be a tart, read the thread.

Some great advice from connor et al to a problem few of us have ever solved. Certainly not at 25.

Pronouns: He/Him

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 20:50 - Feb 9 with 2011 viewsDarth_Koont

Some great advice on here particularly from connorscontract. Really is about making sure you ask yourselves the right questions rather than searching for answers to what you think is right.

I had an epiphany around the age of 30 after five years of doing a job that I was decent at, paid well but I didn't enjoy. I realized I'd never be as good or as successful as the people who loved it. They'd always put in more time, think about it more and to be brutally honest they'd just be better. I didn't see how I could compete with that energy over a career let alone keep going on a daily basis.

With that in mind I just changed to something I enjoyed better and matched my personality better - the questions Connors is asking. I halved my salary overnight but I was learning and enjoying the new job. Still am 15 years later because I'm deep into it. Yes, I know I could still be earning more doing my old job but no amount of money is worth that Sunday evening dread or the emptiness you feel when you think of the next 10 or 20 years.

Never choose anything because it has "solid prospects" or because it pays well and you can then spend the money on stuff you enjoy. Because there'll be people who really want to do it and will blow you out of the water, and the money won't fill that type of purposeless void anyway.

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 20:53 - Feb 9 with 2001 viewsDarth_Koont

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 22:37 - Feb 8 by connorscontract

I would encourage you to try to brainstorm as many different jobs as you can that meet all the criteria.

Then from all of those pick 4 or 5 which you'd consider, and make up a list of pros and cons for each.

Then rank them accordingly.

Then make a list of the things that are stopping you doing the Number 1 ranked job right now, then do the same for the others.

The aim is to find one that ticks all the boxes and which is achievable in the very near future OR if there's one that stands out as being THE job for you, but that you can't start straight away, come up with a plan that will overcome the obstacles, commit to it, and make progress on it as quickly as possible.

There's two issues that have come up in the thread: your disillusionment with a long-held dream and a prior tendency to not follow through on big life changes.

Find YOUR plan and commit to it.

Stellar advice.

I did a far crappier and shorter version of your steps a few years back but it still worked out well. Probably worth doing every so often too.

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 21:00 - Feb 9 with 1983 viewsNewcyBlue

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 20:50 - Feb 9 by Darth_Koont

Some great advice on here particularly from connorscontract. Really is about making sure you ask yourselves the right questions rather than searching for answers to what you think is right.

I had an epiphany around the age of 30 after five years of doing a job that I was decent at, paid well but I didn't enjoy. I realized I'd never be as good or as successful as the people who loved it. They'd always put in more time, think about it more and to be brutally honest they'd just be better. I didn't see how I could compete with that energy over a career let alone keep going on a daily basis.

With that in mind I just changed to something I enjoyed better and matched my personality better - the questions Connors is asking. I halved my salary overnight but I was learning and enjoying the new job. Still am 15 years later because I'm deep into it. Yes, I know I could still be earning more doing my old job but no amount of money is worth that Sunday evening dread or the emptiness you feel when you think of the next 10 or 20 years.

Never choose anything because it has "solid prospects" or because it pays well and you can then spend the money on stuff you enjoy. Because there'll be people who really want to do it and will blow you out of the water, and the money won't fill that type of purposeless void anyway.

Sometimes I love my job. Sometimes I hate it. Oddly I think I enjoy it more when stuff is going wrong. I don't think I could leave it, no matter how much I dread going back to work. It gives me too much security for my family.

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 21:09 - Feb 9 with 1967 viewsDarth_Koont

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 21:00 - Feb 9 by NewcyBlue

Sometimes I love my job. Sometimes I hate it. Oddly I think I enjoy it more when stuff is going wrong. I don't think I could leave it, no matter how much I dread going back to work. It gives me too much security for my family.

Yours is complicated by leaving loved ones for months. But I can understand you loving the work itself.

I must admit, I enjoy it too when things get tough. Feels like you're really pushing yourself and in the zone. Probably a sign in itself that you've chosen the right job.

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 21:11 - Feb 9 with 1961 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Thanks so much for all the great responses, bits of advice and personal stories. It's exactly what I expected from TWTD and has given me plenty to consider.

Need to have a proper think whilst bearing in mind everything in this post and hope that I can come up with a new plan!

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 21:21 - Feb 9 with 1937 viewsNewcyBlue

What do you do when you don't know what to do? on 21:09 - Feb 9 by Darth_Koont

Yours is complicated by leaving loved ones for months. But I can understand you loving the work itself.

I must admit, I enjoy it too when things get tough. Feels like you're really pushing yourself and in the zone. Probably a sign in itself that you've chosen the right job.

Yeah but I am lucky enough to get a lot of time at home with them with no phone calls, just the odd email confirming next date away. The odd course here and there.

When things get tough you need to enjoy it or you will give up.

I do enjoy my job, just enjoy being home more. When I eventually get into my groove on board I am much happier. The first few weeks I can be an utter nightmare, especially if the ship isn't up to my standards!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024