Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So, February has been a pretty good month so far 07:35 - Feb 20 with 2446 viewsSteve_M

With the only real disappointment that we haven't taken another four points from the Reading match and Saturday. It's not just the results but the cumulative improvement in performances, albeit with some notable exceptions, since December.

What has really changed? A combination of McCarthy letting go a bit, a second transfer window where we failed to replace out main striker (pointing to the fact that the biggest problem at the club probably ) isn't the manager and the addition of some good quality, experienced players. Now it's a shame they are only loans but, as far as this season goes, the injection of quality and freshness to the side has been welcome.

Saturday was good from everyone, players who had been a little inconsistent looked far more comfortable, Berra made two good interceptions early on and did nothing wrong all match, Knudsen looks far more comfortable when he knows the ball will be in front of him that at full back and Sears had probably his best match in 18 months, particularly in the first half he was buzzing all over the place again and took his goal very well.

Leeds had the first five minutes of the match, one ball across our area midway through the first half and the goal. If only we had defended that properly, then we would have won. Spence should have done better, although there is a suggestion he was fouled first. A shame as he was really good too for the rest of the match.

For all of our second half pressure, I don't think we quite did enough to win it. We didn't force Green into any difficult saves , although that was partly due to some excellent defending - the one taken off McGoldrick's toe in particular. In hindsight, I wonder if bringing Pitman on at 80 minutes would have been a good idea, ideal time for him to nick a winner.

Instead, I think it showed that a fair few players haven't played a lot of football lately. Yes, we probably missed Lawrence and that extra bit of quality at the end, but we didn't for most of the match. Good, positive signs.

Not that everything is great all of a sudden, there are still too many questions about the end of this season and how much Marcus Evans' superficial Five Point Plan translates into competitive on the pitch but the rest of this season looks far more enjoyable than it did a month ago.

And so to Sunday then, I note from the highlights that John Ruddy looks in fine form which is always good to see - there is a tradition for him to keep to. For all of Norwich's plethora of good attacking midfielders they still rely on Jerome for goals and can be shaky at the back. Add in the fact that losing after so long will hurt them more than us and they'll be as nervous as for the play-off match. Come on Town, it's more than time.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

So, February has been a pretty good month so far on 12:58 - Feb 20 with 350 viewsCaptainObvious

So, February has been a pretty good month so far on 10:49 - Feb 20 by artsbossbeard

I don't believe people are getting carried away - just simply enjoying that through the addition of a couple of loan players (where deals are possible) and and a low fee player, we're suddenly playing decent footy & competitive.

After the guff that's been served up for most of the season, I'm taking the above as a positive step.

i think many are getting a bit carried away as some decent performances have not yet translated into wins and there is the possibility that a new signings boost is a bounce that will fade rather than a longer-term uplift.

your last sentence though is pretty much what i said, spun slightly differently.

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

So, February has been a pretty good month so far on 13:01 - Feb 20 with 344 viewsCaptainObvious

So, February has been a pretty good month so far on 10:41 - Feb 20 by bluewein

I'd happily take mid table as long as we were playing some entertaining football.

That's basically what people have been saying this season, isn't it? And yet, when we do start playing some nice stuff (I've really enjoyed the last 4 games) it's still not good enough for some.

I'm guessing the fans who "just wanted entertainment" didn't really just want entertainment at all, did they?

i think the general consensus is that results count first and style second. (no-one was really complaining about the football when we were top of the league), but when a manager is hired on results over style and the results dry up, he will come in for more flak that one still producing good football

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024