Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Terrorist Attacks 08:51 - Mar 23 with 4940 viewsTLA

On Radio 5 Live they just said that yesterday's terrorist attack was the first to slip through the counter-terrorism net since the murder of Lee Rigby.

I was a little surprised because I remember an MP being murdered in the street by someone with extreme views. Is the murder of Jo Cox not a considered a terrorist attack (and if not, why not)?
Terrorist Attacks on 12:00 - Mar 23 with 446 viewsRyorry

Terrorist Attacks on 10:10 - Mar 23 by Guthrum

The press seem to be, trying to paint a picture of rampant terrorism, when attacks are very rare and small-scale in the UK.

Perhaps it's just modern media sensationalism, blowing every event up with maximum hyperbole, failing to give context with the past.

Maybe we'd almost got used to things happening all the time back then, it didn't have the same media/public consciousness impact. If anything, they were under-reported.

We didn't have the internet and smartphones back then ...

Almost everyone's a photojournalist, or potential photojournalist now - there are both good and bad sides to that, obviously.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Terrorist Attacks on 12:03 - Mar 23 with 429 viewsGeoffSentence

Terrorist Attacks on 09:56 - Mar 23 by No9

Obviously by a lot of people who were not born or were very young at the time.
For those of us with young families we lived with TV screens full of violence almost daily weary that a trip to London may end in disaster
And those who travelled by air will recall having to leve the aircraft away from the terminal being met by the military and having to select our luggage at the aircraft before boarding a bus to the terminal - that was how security mined Europe was then

And of course, there was The Ring Of Steel around the city, probably there are a fair few who have forgotten, or were never aware of that. Police check points around The City. Mind you they are considering implementing a new one now.

Edit: For clarity, the old ring of steel was in the 90's not the 70s, but the point was to illustrate how serious the terrorist threat was in the past.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2017 12:04]

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Terrorist Attacks on 12:05 - Mar 23 with 416 viewsGlasgowBlue

Terrorist Attacks on 12:03 - Mar 23 by GeoffSentence

And of course, there was The Ring Of Steel around the city, probably there are a fair few who have forgotten, or were never aware of that. Police check points around The City. Mind you they are considering implementing a new one now.

Edit: For clarity, the old ring of steel was in the 90's not the 70s, but the point was to illustrate how serious the terrorist threat was in the past.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2017 12:04]

The one for people coming from our direction was Whitechapel wasn't it?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Terrorist Attacks on 12:08 - Mar 23 with 404 viewsipswich78

Terrorist Attacks on 09:05 - Mar 23 by Bluefish

I constantly have the debate with my family that It is safer from terror attacks than it has been in the past 40 years. They voted leave and I am sure it is because they feel the country is dangerous due to IS and immigration. I showed then the statistics on terror attacks in the UK for each decade which proves it but they still don't agree. 7/7 was nearly 12 years ago and while they doesn't make it ok you will always have nutters that attack people.

That sounds a lot like my family... I can show them facts and figures galore. But unless those facts suit their pre conceived interpretation and views they get ignored.

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024