Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. 09:16 - Mar 28 with 7214 viewsRoyKeanesDog

I think most people tend to fall into the careers that they are in, but there is anything that people have got the itch to do before?

I always thought it would be quite interesting to work in an airport at some sort of capacity.

Poll: Best Football Song

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 11:22 - Mar 28 with 1074 viewsJ2BLUE

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 10:01 - Mar 28 by artsbossbeard

Careers teacher: Air Traffic Controller

Me: I really, really wanted to work for the RSPB at one of their nature reserves enthusing schoolkids with my encyclopedic knowledge of all thing ornithology.

Reality: Soul destroying, niche IT work dealing with suck ups & people who can't take responsibility for their actions or the lack of.

Careers teacher: lawyer

Me: genuinely can't remember what I wanted at 16. I knew I would be successful though...

Reality: everyone's heard it all before

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 11:23 - Mar 28 with 1066 viewsReuser_is_God

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 11:21 - Mar 28 by Deano69

Photography without the need to make a living from it (probably doesnt define it as a job though) - not people, celebs or weddings but locations, landscapes/seascapes or events. Possibly lingerie photography to make ends meet??

Why anyone would want to take photos of models in lingerie all day is beyond me.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 11:24 - Mar 28 with 1071 viewsLord_Lucan

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 11:14 - Mar 28 by BlueBadger

I often entertained the notion that I'd have liked to a written for one of the local papers. I'm even more upset I didn't now, given that I could have essentially gotten paid for doing what I do on here*, for free.

* - hereby defined as 'irritate fools with poorly thought through, possibly misinformed opinions'.

Journalism is something I never really thought about but looking back I wish I had and I think I would have been good at it.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 11:28 - Mar 28 with 1052 viewsBlueBadger

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 11:24 - Mar 28 by Lord_Lucan

Journalism is something I never really thought about but looking back I wish I had and I think I would have been good at it.

You certainly have at least one quality that would stand you in good stead as a journey, if your reports from away days are anything to go by...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 11:30 - Mar 28 with 1042 viewsLord_Lucan

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 11:28 - Mar 28 by BlueBadger

You certainly have at least one quality that would stand you in good stead as a journey, if your reports from away days are anything to go by...

Alcohol? I listen to Mike Parry sometimes waxing lyrical about The Fleet Street days, must have been unbelievable.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 11:39 - Mar 28 with 1020 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 11:01 - Mar 28 by Lord_Lucan

Wish I had got into fish biology but ended up in aquatic imports, always wanted to discover a new species in The Amazon and have it named after me, Hyphessobrycon Lucanestrus.

Then you came along.

Got out of Aquatics in early 90's and then happy with new directions until 2011, now fed up.

Would like to open a Mod shop in Camden

Open a mod shop in a couple of years then.

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 11:41 - Mar 28 with 1009 viewstaximan

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 11:30 - Mar 28 by Lord_Lucan

Alcohol? I listen to Mike Parry sometimes waxing lyrical about The Fleet Street days, must have been unbelievable.

i'm listening to the 2 mikes atm
Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 11:47 - Mar 28 with 998 viewsLord_Lucan

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 11:39 - Mar 28 by RoyKeanesDog

Open a mod shop in a couple of years then.

I haven't got the funds anymore for that.

Login to get fewer ads

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 11:50 - Mar 28 with 986 viewsfooters

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 10:58 - Mar 28 by RoyKeanesDog

I studied Creative Writing at uni, although did too much partying to graduate, it put me off a career in writing if anything.

We used to have writers come in and give talks and they were all doom and gloom. I still write for my own pleasure, and haven't had the enjoyment drained out of me by having to produce a load of drivel on a deadline.

Just coming up to 10 years as a copywriter, having worked in loads of different industries- really interesting. Now getting a little web business set up to focus (nearly) full-time on creative stuff. But, as you say, it's not actually as fun as it looks.

Think your approach is best, tbh. Same with me and cooking; love to do it as a hobby but couldn't stand the heat of a professional kitchen! Though both career paths do have one common denominator: a love for the booze.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 12:04 - Mar 28 with 970 viewsLord_Lucan

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 11:41 - Mar 28 by taximan

i'm listening to the 2 mikes atm

Do you listen to their 01am slot? It's better, no sporty talk. Not on that slot this week though.

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 12:05 - Mar 28 with 969 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 11:50 - Mar 28 by footers

Just coming up to 10 years as a copywriter, having worked in loads of different industries- really interesting. Now getting a little web business set up to focus (nearly) full-time on creative stuff. But, as you say, it's not actually as fun as it looks.

Think your approach is best, tbh. Same with me and cooking; love to do it as a hobby but couldn't stand the heat of a professional kitchen! Though both career paths do have one common denominator: a love for the booze.

Yeah. I'd guess that 90% of chefs eat a takeaway at night.

We even had a successfully published novel writer that said there is little to no money in writing unless you get a lucky break.

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 12:07 - Mar 28 with 965 viewsBenters

I would have loved to have been a Ice Road Trucker .

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 12:22 - Mar 28 with 942 viewsKieran_Knows

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 12:07 - Mar 28 by Benters

I would have loved to have been a Ice Road Trucker .

Good programme that!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 13:59 - Mar 28 with 890 viewsWeWereZombies

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 12:05 - Mar 28 by RoyKeanesDog

Yeah. I'd guess that 90% of chefs eat a takeaway at night.

We even had a successfully published novel writer that said there is little to no money in writing unless you get a lucky break.

I know a couple of chefs and they mainly work at night, far too long hours and far too busy to be ordering takeaways (hopefully Melford or another of the TWTD chefs will log on to confirm or deny) and they are both pretty fussy about food as part of their job is knowing what goes into the dishes so the indeterminate content of most takeaways probably makes that aspect a no-no as well.

Edit to put in what I had in mind when I started typing: and they eat on the go in the kitchen, as well as bringing loads of food home.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2017 14:12]

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 14:06 - Mar 28 with 874 viewshoppy

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 11:11 - Mar 28 by WeWereZombies

Fish biology to Mod shop! That is a whole different scale...

Unless the fishtail parka is what took him that route...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 14:16 - Mar 28 with 859 viewsWeWereZombies

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 14:06 - Mar 28 by hoppy

Unless the fishtail parka is what took him that route...

Hmmm, mod gear for cheap skates...

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 14:16 - Mar 28 with 857 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 13:59 - Mar 28 by WeWereZombies

I know a couple of chefs and they mainly work at night, far too long hours and far too busy to be ordering takeaways (hopefully Melford or another of the TWTD chefs will log on to confirm or deny) and they are both pretty fussy about food as part of their job is knowing what goes into the dishes so the indeterminate content of most takeaways probably makes that aspect a no-no as well.

Edit to put in what I had in mind when I started typing: and they eat on the go in the kitchen, as well as bringing loads of food home.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2017 14:12]

I work in hospitality for years and all the chefs I knew ate utter crap. They're feral creatures.

EDIT- I never worked anywhere with real food credit.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2017 14:17]

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 14:16 - Mar 28 with 848 viewshoppy

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 14:16 - Mar 28 by WeWereZombies

Hmmm, mod gear for cheap skates...

I know salmon that would leap at an opportunity like that.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 14:26 - Mar 28 with 814 viewsGlasgowBlue

I'd liked to have worked in journalism.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 14:26 - Mar 28 with 818 viewsWeWereZombies

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 14:16 - Mar 28 by RoyKeanesDog

I work in hospitality for years and all the chefs I knew ate utter crap. They're feral creatures.

EDIT- I never worked anywhere with real food credit.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2017 14:17]

Fair enough, my acquaintances are on the Cambridge restaurant circuit - some of which does top end nosh. The other advantage they find is that bringing home a decent amount of decent food to share out helps a great deal in getting a house share in the city's constrained accommodation market. I think it might even help on the girlfriend front...

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 14:30 - Mar 28 with 808 viewsLord_Lucan

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 14:26 - Mar 28 by WeWereZombies

Fair enough, my acquaintances are on the Cambridge restaurant circuit - some of which does top end nosh. The other advantage they find is that bringing home a decent amount of decent food to share out helps a great deal in getting a house share in the city's constrained accommodation market. I think it might even help on the girlfriend front...

I don't know Cambridge very well but I did pop into a bar where I had the best scotch egg ever - yolk still nice and runny.

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 14:37 - Mar 28 with 789 viewsMJallday

Air Force. I tried to get in but because of my eyesight i wasnt allowed to be a pilot/navigator.

there was a way round it but i didnt persue it. wish i had of done tbh

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 14:40 - Mar 28 with 774 viewsWeWereZombies

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 14:30 - Mar 28 by Lord_Lucan

I don't know Cambridge very well but I did pop into a bar where I had the best scotch egg ever - yolk still nice and runny.

Surely that was a free range quails egg in a melange of pan fried diced serrano de York and freshly baked wholemeal breadcrumbs?

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 14:49 - Mar 28 with 762 viewsLord_Lucan

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 14:40 - Mar 28 by WeWereZombies

Surely that was a free range quails egg in a melange of pan fried diced serrano de York and freshly baked wholemeal breadcrumbs?

Just text my mate

This was the place

http://pintshop.co.uk/#home

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 15:59 - Mar 28 with 706 viewstomo

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 12:04 - Mar 28 by Lord_Lucan

Do you listen to their 01am slot? It's better, no sporty talk. Not on that slot this week though.

The late night one is miles better. I listen to the podcasts every night but if they have been on days I sack it off. I tend to skip the first half hour anyway as it is a bit sport heavy. Some of those old Fleet St stories have me in stitches. Porkyvision is my favourite though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024