Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cowardly Players 08:43 - Apr 3 with 1441 viewsNarddog

"It is difficult to play in an atmosphere like that"

"You don’t expect it at home"

They may not always express it in the best way but the players just have to take it on the chin and accept it.”

MM really is poisonous isnt he. Where's the "I've/We've been appalling for the majority of this season" "We need to step up and get the job done between now and the end of the season" "The fans have every right to criticise as we've clearly let then down"

Can nobody in this regime take ANY responsibility? Can you imagine the derogatory sort of talk that goes on in the dressing room and around the squad regarding the fanbase/atmosphere? MM HAS to go at the end of the year. And hopefully take the likes of Ward with him.
Cowardly Players on 08:52 - Apr 3 with 1394 viewstaximan

agree entirely

such an easy "out" to blame others for your own shortcomings

as you say "take responsibility"
Cowardly Players on 08:53 - Apr 3 with 1390 viewsSomethingBlue

I think we're projecting character traits onto our players and manager that simply aren't there. Understandable thing to reach for at times like this, I get it, but it's not the most intelligent of readings.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Cowardly Players on 08:56 - Apr 3 with 1367 viewstaximan

Cowardly Players on 08:53 - Apr 3 by SomethingBlue

I think we're projecting character traits onto our players and manager that simply aren't there. Understandable thing to reach for at times like this, I get it, but it's not the most intelligent of readings.

come on then oh superior one

what is your take on things ?
Cowardly Players on 08:56 - Apr 3 with 1371 viewssoupytwist

"It is difficult to play in an atmosphere like that" - well they had the whole of the first half when the atmosphere wasn't like that. In fact it was pretty good all things considered.
Cowardly Players on 08:57 - Apr 3 with 1363 viewsSomethingBlue

Cowardly Players on 08:56 - Apr 3 by taximan

come on then oh superior one

what is your take on things ?

Mine is that you're being a bit of a snowflake, dear boy. The players haven't been criticising the support at all.

Cowardly Players on 08:58 - Apr 3 with 1346 viewstaximan

Cowardly Players on 08:56 - Apr 3 by soupytwist

"It is difficult to play in an atmosphere like that" - well they had the whole of the first half when the atmosphere wasn't like that. In fact it was pretty good all things considered.

i believe mm stated it was only in the second half that the negativity emerged from the stands
Cowardly Players on 09:09 - Apr 3 with 1271 viewsNarddog

Cowardly Players on 08:57 - Apr 3 by SomethingBlue

Mine is that you're being a bit of a snowflake, dear boy. The players haven't been criticising the support at all.

It's not about criticising the fans, its about taking responsibilty for the situation and reacting the right way. Not crying to the local press about atmosphere.

One thing I will say about MM is that he understands the players have to be the ones who turn that round. If they play well and fight hard then the crowd will respond positively. The mindset shown from Ward's comments will not achieve that.
Cowardly Players on 09:18 - Apr 3 with 1242 viewsSomethingBlue

Cowardly Players on 09:09 - Apr 3 by Narddog

It's not about criticising the fans, its about taking responsibilty for the situation and reacting the right way. Not crying to the local press about atmosphere.

One thing I will say about MM is that he understands the players have to be the ones who turn that round. If they play well and fight hard then the crowd will respond positively. The mindset shown from Ward's comments will not achieve that.

I imagine Ward was just answering a question honestly, though, with a response we'd all understand if we're honest with ourselves. Don't think there are any rights or wrongs here.

Login to get fewer ads

Cowardly Players on 09:18 - Apr 3 with 1240 viewsSteve_M

Cowardly Players on 09:09 - Apr 3 by Narddog

I assume that the Press Conference went something like this:

Hack: What did you think about the reaction of the fans.
Ward: Well it's not ideal.

etc, etc.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cowardly Players on 09:26 - Apr 3 with 1195 viewsNarddog

Cowardly Players on 09:18 - Apr 3 by Steve_M

I assume that the Press Conference went something like this:

Hack: What did you think about the reaction of the fans.
Ward: Well it's not ideal.

etc, etc.

And I understand that, but I think a Chambers or a Holland type character would have answered differently, Even if they didn't totally mean it.

We need to be galvanised as a unit, not sniped at and then told to be "together".
Cowardly Players on 09:27 - Apr 3 with 1185 viewsGuthrum

Have you considered that the players may already be doing their utmost, but simply aren't up to the quality, form and injury-free standards necessary to succeed in this division?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Cowardly Players on 09:29 - Apr 3 with 1173 viewsNarddog

Cowardly Players on 09:27 - Apr 3 by Guthrum

Have you considered that the players may already be doing their utmost, but simply aren't up to the quality, form and injury-free standards necessary to succeed in this division?

No, looking at the last 2 years should make that obvious.
Cowardly Players on 09:31 - Apr 3 with 1160 viewsPinewoodblue

Good job it does otherwise the goal he scored, which he intended to be a cross, wouldn't have gone in.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Cowardly Players on 09:34 - Apr 3 with 1128 viewsSteve_M

Cowardly Players on 09:26 - Apr 3 by Narddog

And I understand that, but I think a Chambers or a Holland type character would have answered differently, Even if they didn't totally mean it.

We need to be galvanised as a unit, not sniped at and then told to be "together".

Your last line could refer to the fans, especially those who booed certain players before the match kicked off.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cowardly Players on 09:41 - Apr 3 with 1099 viewsGuthrum

Cowardly Players on 09:29 - Apr 3 by Narddog

No, looking at the last 2 years should make that obvious.

A fair chunk of that time (since January 2016) has not been particularly special. There were performances last spring as bad as anything we've seen this season (Cardiff away, Rotherham home - probably the worst Town game I've ever watched).

Plus we've lost (sold) some of our best players over that period. Without replacing them.

Who do we have of similar attacking quality to Tyrone Mings (apart from the injured Webster and some inexperienced teenagers)? Who do we have as a striker to unlock defences such as Murphy used to? Who provides energy and aggression down the wing like Stephen Hunt?

We have the tempramental Lawrence, reduced to long-range shots, we have the injury-prone McGoldrick, who can't do the job all on his own. Huws is good but only recently acquired and now injured. Who else in quality, form and fitness matches the team of 2014-15?

Cowardly Players on 09:45 - Apr 3 with 1083 viewsNarddog

Cowardly Players on 09:34 - Apr 3 by Steve_M

Your last line could refer to the fans, especially those who booed certain players before the match kicked off.

I think you're missing my point. How can a manager bang on in the press for 2 weeks about a need for togetherness & support etc, then come out after the game and label elements of the crowd a disgrace.

Whether he's right or wrong, it clearly isn't going to help. Same for Wards comments. Just suck it up, accept that you can't please everybody all of the time and turn the situation round - On and off the pitch.

I just don't think the comments coming from management and players show a particularly healthy mindset at the moment. Which seems to be indicative of why we are where we are.

One barnstorming performance could flip everybody's mindset overnight.
Cowardly Players on 09:52 - Apr 3 with 1060 viewsNarddog

Cowardly Players on 09:41 - Apr 3 by Guthrum

A fair chunk of that time (since January 2016) has not been particularly special. There were performances last spring as bad as anything we've seen this season (Cardiff away, Rotherham home - probably the worst Town game I've ever watched).

Plus we've lost (sold) some of our best players over that period. Without replacing them.

Who do we have of similar attacking quality to Tyrone Mings (apart from the injured Webster and some inexperienced teenagers)? Who do we have as a striker to unlock defences such as Murphy used to? Who provides energy and aggression down the wing like Stephen Hunt?

We have the tempramental Lawrence, reduced to long-range shots, we have the injury-prone McGoldrick, who can't do the job all on his own. Huws is good but only recently acquired and now injured. Who else in quality, form and fitness matches the team of 2014-15?

I agree we've been awful for a longer period than just this season, but we were still nowhere near the current situation.

Are we forgetting Mings injuries when comparing to the 'injured' Webster. I'll give you Murphy of course, but Lawrence offers us a decent attacking presence (albeit a totally different style)

Are you seriously using Stephen Hunt....?

we don't have a particularly good team at the moment, I absolutely accept that, but we haven't really had a particularly good team for 10 years. We shouldn't be anywhere near the bottom 3 in this division.
Cowardly Players on 10:08 - Apr 3 with 1006 viewsGuthrum

Cowardly Players on 09:52 - Apr 3 by Narddog

I agree we've been awful for a longer period than just this season, but we were still nowhere near the current situation.

Are we forgetting Mings injuries when comparing to the 'injured' Webster. I'll give you Murphy of course, but Lawrence offers us a decent attacking presence (albeit a totally different style)

Are you seriously using Stephen Hunt....?

we don't have a particularly good team at the moment, I absolutely accept that, but we haven't really had a particularly good team for 10 years. We shouldn't be anywhere near the bottom 3 in this division.

I'd argue that the way things have gone, we probably should be down the lower end of this division. We were overachieving to rise above that. Don't just take my word for it, that was the general perception amongst football commentators.

For me, the current situation is largely down to the problem of galloping inflation in the Championship (partly fuelled by swollen parachute payments) and having an owner who is not prepared to go with the utterly exorbitant expenditure needed to keep pace.

We sell our good players and replace them with freebies (which are always going to be a gamble), while the price of even fairly average players rockets well beyond our reach.

Stephen Hunt brought a level of energy and aggression to the team which I don't think we're seeing now. His quality may not have been of the highest level, but who, in the last minutes of a game, do we see screaming for the ball and urging everyone to get forwards, like he used to do? He was the epitome of not sitting back defensively.

I really feel we miss that. Especially when you see McGoldrick desperately twisting and turning on the edge of the opponent's box, with nobody in support or available to pass to. Or Lawrence shooting from 25 yards out because he can't break through on his own.

Cowardly Players on 10:22 - Apr 3 with 967 viewsGuthrum

Cowardly Players on 09:45 - Apr 3 by Narddog

I think you're missing my point. How can a manager bang on in the press for 2 weeks about a need for togetherness & support etc, then come out after the game and label elements of the crowd a disgrace.

Whether he's right or wrong, it clearly isn't going to help. Same for Wards comments. Just suck it up, accept that you can't please everybody all of the time and turn the situation round - On and off the pitch.

I just don't think the comments coming from management and players show a particularly healthy mindset at the moment. Which seems to be indicative of why we are where we are.

One barnstorming performance could flip everybody's mindset overnight.

I think you have a point about the unhealthy mindset. It's a creeping malaise which seems to have got into many areas of the club (including the fanbase). When people are generally unhappy, bickering is often the result.

You're right to some extent about the result. If (and I think it unlikely) we seriously batter Wigan on Tuesday, maybe get a fighting draw (or better) from Fulham/Newcastle, then the atmosphere will lighten significantly. Not, perhaps, to the point of enthusiasm (too much else would still be wrong), but at least not so vocally on the backs of the players.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024