Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Summer clear out 10:12 - Apr 3 with 2798 viewshype313

Looks like it will be a pivitol time for our club this summer, concern for me is as much as I think Mick is going, whoever comes in will obviously want a budget, if not then we will be left with the dregs who are just desperate for a job. Anyone coming will say this squad finished 15/16/17/18th with Mick in charge, it clearly needs surgery.

For me we have Bart, Webster, Smith, Ward and McGoldrick who, given better players around them will flourish, the rest can find new clubs as far as I'm concerned as they are cleary not good enough at this level.

I haven't included any of the youngsters as none of us have really seen enough to really comment.

If we could sign Huws permanently that would be a positive, whilst players like Sears really need to move on.

Am I being harsh or realistic?
[Post edited 3 Apr 2017 10:16]

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Summer clear out on 10:14 - Apr 3 with 2109 viewsReuser_is_God

You're not being harsh.

However I think a major overhaul is unlikely, unless Evans is willing to spend.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Summer clear out on 10:20 - Apr 3 with 2087 viewshype313

Summer clear out on 10:14 - Apr 3 by Reuser_is_God

You're not being harsh.

However I think a major overhaul is unlikely, unless Evans is willing to spend.

Don't think he's going to have much choice is he?

Although if he does you get the impression it will be under duress.

Summer clear out on 10:21 - Apr 3 with 2078 viewsNeverTellMeTheOdds

Fairly realistic.

I was speaking to my friend over the weekend and we were saying similar that we may see a big turn over of players this summer with alot needing moving on, out of contract, loans etc.

Like you, the only players I would like to see us keep are:

Bart, Kenlock, Chambers, Webster, Smith, Emmanual, Knudsen, Bishop, Dozzell, Ward, Rowe, McGoldrick & Pitman.

I would also try and sign Huws and I would also get Benyu into the first team as soon as possible as he is ripping up trees at Aldershot.

As for the rest, they can definitely be moved on.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2017 10:26]

Poll: Will the new season ticket prices make you renew for the 2017/2018 season?

Summer clear out on 10:22 - Apr 3 with 2067 viewshype313

Summer clear out on 10:21 - Apr 3 by NeverTellMeTheOdds

Fairly realistic.

I was speaking to my friend over the weekend and we were saying similar that we may see a big turn over of players this summer with alot needing moving on, out of contract, loans etc.

Like you, the only players I would like to see us keep are:

Bart, Kenlock, Chambers, Webster, Smith, Emmanual, Knudsen, Bishop, Dozzell, Ward, Rowe, McGoldrick & Pitman.

I would also try and sign Huws and I would also get Benyu into the first team as soon as possible as he is ripping up trees at Aldershot.

As for the rest, they can definitely be moved on.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2017 10:26]

Jury's out on Knusden for me too, which is why I asked if I was being too harsh!
[Post edited 3 Apr 2017 10:22]

Summer clear out on 10:23 - Apr 3 with 2055 viewsGuthrum

You also have to factor in which of our better players we will sell to fund next season.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Summer clear out on 10:26 - Apr 3 with 2036 viewsNeverTellMeTheOdds

Summer clear out on 10:22 - Apr 3 by hype313

Jury's out on Knusden for me too, which is why I asked if I was being too harsh!
[Post edited 3 Apr 2017 10:22]

Purely keeping him just to play against the budgies :)

Poll: Will the new season ticket prices make you renew for the 2017/2018 season?

Summer clear out on 10:28 - Apr 3 with 2032 viewshype313

Summer clear out on 10:23 - Apr 3 by Guthrum

You also have to factor in which of our better players we will sell to fund next season.

Who's realistically saleable though? Bart is probably the only one worth any significant value as Webster needs a full season, Ward hasn't done enough to catch the eye of others (although he has quality we need) and McGoldrick's injury record will put off anyone willing to part with enough cash to entice us to sell.

Summer clear out on 10:28 - Apr 3 with 2041 viewsSteve_M

The established squad players I definitely expect to be here next season are Webster, Smith, Ward and Knudsen, plus Kenlock and Emmanuel who have shown they are ready to be part of the squad. Any of the rest might leave but clearly not all of them will and nor should they.

Be wary of falling into the trap that players playing badly in a team low on confidence can't be good enough for this division - McAuley, Delaney and Leadbitter show that but we also miss Stephen Hunt, Paul Anderson and Jay Tabb, players who added far more than many fans realised. I think we've even missed Luke Varney in the last month, it wasn't the case when we played well in February but since then...

When we lost 5-0 at Palace just after Mick took over, Cresswell and Murphy were awful and Chambers scared of attacking the ball. They were clearly better players than that and the same goes for a lot of our squad - admittedly Drury, Martin and Reo-Coker were sh1te in that game and irredeemably sh1te thereafter.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2017 10:37]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Summer clear out on 10:34 - Apr 3 with 1996 viewsGuthrum

Summer clear out on 10:28 - Apr 3 by hype313

Who's realistically saleable though? Bart is probably the only one worth any significant value as Webster needs a full season, Ward hasn't done enough to catch the eye of others (although he has quality we need) and McGoldrick's injury record will put off anyone willing to part with enough cash to entice us to sell.

So, Bialkowski it is, then. And there has been alleged interest.

Which means we have Gerken plus Crowe, or we need a new 'keeper as well.

Partly playing Devil's advocate, but it would fit the pattern of the last few seasons.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2017 10:35]

Summer clear out on 10:34 - Apr 3 with 1991 viewshype313

Summer clear out on 10:28 - Apr 3 by Steve_M

The established squad players I definitely expect to be here next season are Webster, Smith, Ward and Knudsen, plus Kenlock and Emmanuel who have shown they are ready to be part of the squad. Any of the rest might leave but clearly not all of them will and nor should they.

Be wary of falling into the trap that players playing badly in a team low on confidence can't be good enough for this division - McAuley, Delaney and Leadbitter show that but we also miss Stephen Hunt, Paul Anderson and Jay Tabb, players who added far more than many fans realised. I think we've even missed Luke Varney in the last month, it wasn't the case when we played well in February but since then...

When we lost 5-0 at Palace just after Mick took over, Cresswell and Murphy were awful and Chambers scared of attacking the ball. They were clearly better players than that and the same goes for a lot of our squad - admittedly Drury, Martin and Reo-Coker were sh1te in that game and irredeemably sh1te thereafter.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2017 10:37]

Agree, however even with a new inspiring manager I just think that a large number of our squad are just not technically good enough at this level, certainly nowhere near mounting a challenge for promotion.

You could clearly see Cresswell, Murphy, McAuley were all quality players just underperforming for periods, but we all knew they would have far more positive games than negative.

Anderson, Tabb and Hunt were players that did a job, one we seem to lack at the moment, but I haven't seen anything in the past 4-5 years that suggests we have a squad capable of challenging, and this is only getting harder year on year.

Summer clear out on 10:37 - Apr 3 with 1971 viewsGuthrum

Summer clear out on 10:34 - Apr 3 by hype313

Agree, however even with a new inspiring manager I just think that a large number of our squad are just not technically good enough at this level, certainly nowhere near mounting a challenge for promotion.

You could clearly see Cresswell, Murphy, McAuley were all quality players just underperforming for periods, but we all knew they would have far more positive games than negative.

Anderson, Tabb and Hunt were players that did a job, one we seem to lack at the moment, but I haven't seen anything in the past 4-5 years that suggests we have a squad capable of challenging, and this is only getting harder year on year.

How likely is it that any new manager will also be 'inspiring'?

We're probably going to need players who can perform well even under the "ordinary".

Summer clear out on 10:39 - Apr 3 with 1967 viewshype313

Summer clear out on 10:34 - Apr 3 by Guthrum

Partly playing Devil's advocate, but it would fit the pattern of the last few seasons.

The issue is lets say we do get £3-5m for Bart, the cynic in me believes it will go towards the running costs.

Summer clear out on 10:40 - Apr 3 with 1954 viewsReuser_is_God

Summer clear out on 10:34 - Apr 3 by Guthrum

Depressing.

Evans out

Summer clear out on 10:41 - Apr 3 with 1944 viewsReuser_is_God

Summer clear out on 10:39 - Apr 3 by hype313

The issue is lets say we do get £3-5m for Bart, the cynic in me believes it will go towards the running costs.

Well why wouldn't it when the need to invest in new first team players is so low?

Evans out

Summer clear out on 10:41 - Apr 3 with 1942 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Controversial as it might seem, I'd be happy for us to part company with McGoldrick.

As much as he is a fantastic player (at this level... when fit) we have become so dependent on him and he hasn't been anywhere near the level of when he was in his pomp 2 or 3 years ago and people who wax lyrical about him are judging him against a fairly low bar set by the rest of the squad.
How dare you call..... on 10:41 - Apr 3 with 1939 viewsBloots

Summer clear out on 10:37 - Apr 3 by Guthrum

How likely is it that any new manager will also be 'inspiring'?

We're probably going to need players who can perform well even under the "ordinary".

....Kenny Jackett "ordinary".

He's an inspirational leader of men, with a huge personality.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Summer clear out on 10:42 - Apr 3 with 1933 viewsITFC_Forever

We'll get half of that for Bart.

£2m bid and he'll be gone.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Summer clear out on 10:46 - Apr 3 with 1913 viewsKieran_Knows

I'd say the squad is in serious need of freshening up. Out of the squad at the moment, i'd say the ones we definitely need to keep hold of are (in my opinion of course);
Chambers
Smith
Bishop
McGoldrick
Webster
Ward
Dozzell
Emmanuel
Kenlock
Benyu
Bart
Rowe

Players futures who may depend on who is manager;
Gerken
Knudsen
Skuse
Pitman
Spence
Bru
Hyam
Sears
McDonnell
Moore

And players who (in my opinion) will definitely leave;
Taylor
Berra
Best (which we already knew)
Digby
Coke (which we already knew)
Douglas (which we already knew)

Lastly, signing Huws would be an absolute must in my opinion, but again, it all depends on who the manager might be/might not be.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Summer clear out on 10:46 - Apr 3 with 1911 viewsSteve_M

Summer clear out on 10:34 - Apr 3 by hype313

Given our budget, and form, we're a long way from looking to sign players capable of promotion this Summer and we need to make sure we have sufficient established second tier players to keep us in this division first.

That's grim but it is the reality at the moment until the entire mindset around the place changes and, realistically, we need a change of owner for that now - replacing MM won;t be enough on its own.

The only way forwards otherwise is to have a season like 2014-15, when things align and the team starts the season with real belief and momentum.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Summer clear out on 10:52 - Apr 3 with 1873 viewshype313

Summer clear out on 10:41 - Apr 3 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Controversial as it might seem, I'd be happy for us to part company with McGoldrick.

As much as he is a fantastic player (at this level... when fit) we have become so dependent on him and he hasn't been anywhere near the level of when he was in his pomp 2 or 3 years ago and people who wax lyrical about him are judging him against a fairly low bar set by the rest of the squad.

The problem with McGoldrick is his injury record and age will put off people willing to part with enough cash for us to consider his sale worthwhile.

I'm in slight agreement with you, how long do we wait for him to become fully fit throughout the season?

Summer clear out on 11:23 - Apr 3 with 1802 viewsGuthrum

Yes, absolutely. Will go some wat towards defraying 2017-18's losses.

Summer clear out on 11:28 - Apr 3 with 1781 viewsIpswichKnight

No not really being harsh, I think we will struggle to move a lot of this squad on without having to rely on our old friend mutual agreement.
How dare you call..... on 11:29 - Apr 3 with 1770 viewsGuthrum

How dare you call..... on 10:41 - Apr 3 by Bloots

....Kenny Jackett "ordinary".

He's an inspirational leader of men, with a huge personality.

Actually, I don't mind Jackett. Think he's done a decent job at most of the places he's been, tho hardly the inspiring choice most are hoping for if McCarthy leaves.

Summer clear out on 11:32 - Apr 3 with 1756 viewshype313

Summer clear out on 11:28 - Apr 3 by IpswichKnight

No not really being harsh, I think we will struggle to move a lot of this squad on without having to rely on our old friend mutual agreement.

Believe a number are out of contract, so that will help, the others will either have to be carried next season or offered severance terms.

Summer clear out on 11:35 - Apr 3 with 1742 viewssoupytwist

Summer clear out on 10:41 - Apr 3 by King_of_Portman_Rd

I wouldn't be desperate to keep him. Undoubtedly a skilful player but he has struggled recently because there is no real focal point to the attack for him to play off and he's trying to be an attacking midfielder and striker.

His injury record isn't great and I bet he is among the higher earners. That money could be used elsewhere.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024