Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Romford's racing preview - THE AINTREE GRAND NATIONAL 01:03 - Apr 8 with 4757 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Two 'meh' days of fun bets. Now onto the Grand National where 40 horses, trainers, owners and jockeys take on Aintree's Grand National course and the nation stops to watch. I shall be running from Craven Cottage after the game tomorrow to find a bookies and cheer (hopefully) One For Arthur onto Gran National glory and win me a grand.

Please have a read and leave your comments and national bets in the comment section below.

1:45 - Gaskells Handicap Hurdle
Barney Dwan ran a cracker to finish a clear 2nd in the Pertemps Final at Cheltenham. He looks set to go well again despite another 5lb rise. No Hassle Hoff is on a great mark on his handicap debut and has run well behind two good sorts recently so looks poised to go well. 5/1 is a bit skinny though for a competitive handicap like this one. No Comment failed to stay up the hill when fancied at Cheltenham and the step up in distance surely won’t help. He is a classy sort though. Duke Street is consistent but this is tougher whilst Forthefunofit is flying as of late but raised yet another 10lbs again. Zarkander is carrying top weight and is on the downgrade after a great career for his connections. Holywell and Splash of Ginge are probably best over fences whilst Desert Cry seems best in small fields and the hustle and hustle of this race likely won’t suit. WHATAKNIGHT could be a surprise package in this based on his run on good ground last year. He hasn’t been disgraced since and this ground could be what sparks him back to his best. He looks a fair price at 12/1.

2:25 - Betway Mersey Novices' Hurdle
Brio Conti has made significant improvement since the turn of the year and deserves a crack at a grade 1. I fancied Lough Derg Spirit for Thursday’s novice race but he runs here instead which makes him interesting. He is well fancied by connections after sidestepping Cheltenham. Another who missed Cheltenham, albeit in different circumstances, was FINIAN’S OSCAR (NAP) who suffered a ‘minor setback’. He was very exciting prior to that and was near the head of the market for the Neptune. He, at 3/1, looks a huge price assuming he is fit.

3:00 - Doom Bar Maghull Novices' Chase
Charbel fell when putting it up to Altior in the Arkle but it seemed like the latter was just not running to form rather than a dramatic improvement from the favourite today. He had been slammed comfortably by that rival previously. Charbel’s short price means that there could be great value elsewhere. Of the remaining four runners, San bennedeto needs to improve whilst Colla Pier needs a miracle. Forest Bihan was a long way behind Charbel when the latter fell in the aforementioned Arkle and so the selection is POLITOLOGUE. He didn’t run a bad race in the JLT but the stiff finish and extra distance wouldn’t have suited. This trip and ground should be right up his street and at 9/2, looks a good bet.

3:40 - Betway Handicap Chase
This looks an extremely tough race to call. Henri Parry Morgan was a good 2nd at this meeting last year over course and distance but his form has been very erratic which makes him hard to trust. Sizing Codelco disappointed at Cheltenham whilst Value At Risk was a good hurdler who has not yet shown his worth over fences. They could go well. Starchitect was a good handicapper over hurdles and was running on when 5th after being hampered at Cheltenham and warrants respect. FULL CRY will like this ground on handicap debut and gets the tentative nod at a big price (16/1).

4:20 — Ryanair Stayers Liverpool Hurdle
Supasundae goes here rather than the handicap for Jessica Harrington who has made it no secret that she is a big fan of him. Cole Harden is a guaranteed stayer having won the Stayer’s Hurdle in 2015 and was 2nd in this year. He loves firm ground and must be thereabouts. Ballyoptic often travels well off the front and is a fighter whilst Snow Falcon is one of the best travellers you’ll find but rarely finds much off the bridle. Ptit Zig and Taquin De Seuill have both had big wins previously but would need to reproduce that form here. YANWORTH gets the nod as a classy novice who disappointed in the Champion Hurdle. He didn’t appear to be himself and goes into unknown territory here which could go in his favour. He will like the ground and looks the classiest horse on paper if handling the extra distance.

5:15 — AINTREE GRAND NATIONAL
The big one! The key to the national involves having three main things: stamina, jumping ability and luck. Obviously I can only look into the form of two of those and hope for lots of the latter. I have backed three horses antepost in this: Vicente (33/1), The Last Samuri (20/1) who I backed last year when second and my main bet who I will come to shortly. More Of That is vying for favouritism and is a previous Stayers Hurdle winner. He is quite clearly a classy sort but he has never seemed to scream like wanting an extra mile and isn’t the best jumper. Definitly Red has been on a roll this season culminating in a romp in his prep race ahead of the aforementioned The Last Samuri. Both connections will have been happy with what they saw that day but the former is now well-in on the handicap meaning he should be carrying more. That is a plus. Vieux Lion Rouge was impressive when rattling home in December to win the Becher over these obstacles and certainly ticks boxes. He got up in the last stride to beat Highland Lodge who is as game as you want a national horse to be. Blaklion is a previous RSA winner and may be laid out for this. Similar can be said of The Young Master who has had a sighter over these fences. Vicente is a previous Scottish National winner and warrants respect in this whilst Ucello Conti should go well. However, I have been on ONE FOR ARTHUR since watching him staying on in the Becher from a long way back. He rattled home and jumped those fences beautifully. He was then stepped up in trip at Warwick only to travel brilliantly — again towards the rear — to gradually get closer before romping home. He will stay, he will jump. He will win? I obviously hope so as he is worth 4-figures to me. I have to say, I’m confident of a big run. Whether he has the class to win a race of this magnitude, only time will tell. That comment can’t be made about Cause Of Causes who has won at Cheltenham in three different races in the last three seasons and could be in for a massive run. Saint Are has placed in this before when finishing strongly to beat tired horses but often gets tapped for toe in the early stages — similar to One For Arthur. Hopefully, my horse can cut through them though. The main thing to hope for though is that for the fifth consecutive year (since the changes were made for safety purposes), no horses die. 40 jockeys and 40 horses coming back safe and sound would be a victory for horse racing.

Horse by horse
1) The Last Samuri — Jumps and stays. Proven over obstacles. Second last year off 12lb less. Rommy Ranking = 8/10
2) More Of That — Classy sort. Jumping isn’t great. Might not stay. 5/10
3) Shantou Flyer — Improving. Looks like he could win a race like this. Will he stay? 6/10
4) Perfect Candidate — Jumps well. Will go well from the front at a big price. 8/10
5) Saphir De Rheu — Expectations high previously. Classy on his day. Gets his ground. 6/10
6) Roi Des Francs — Big weight. Will stay on. Should handle course. 6/10
7) Wounded Warrior — Struggling of late. Possible stayer. Unconvincing. 4/10
8) Wonderful Charm — Flew home in the Foxhunters’. Useful in pomp. Could go well at a big price. 8/10
9) Tenor Nivernais — Well in on the weights. Front runner. Unlikely stayer though. 5/10
10) Blaklion — Will stay. Classy. Jumps well. Relish the ground. Big run expected. 9/10
11) Drop Out Joe — Summer Cup winner last term. Unlikely to stay. Would be a major shock. 2/10
12) Le Mercurey — Big price but has ability. Only 7 though. Would be a tough ask to handle occasion. 6/10
13) The Young Master — In and out of form. Struggled over these fences. Not for me. 4/10
14) Cause Of Causes — One for the big occasion. Jumps. Stays. Big contender. 9/10
15) Regal Encore — Strange one. Often flies home or is pulled up. Danger is still there at the Melling Road but that appears unlikely. 6/10
16) Vieux Lion Rouge — Antepost favourite after Becher win. Should stay. Handles course. Chance is obvious. 7/10
17) Definitly Red — Well in. Sauntered home at Doncaster. Dangerous. 7/10
18) Ucello Conti — 6th last year. 4th in Becher. Good jumper. Handles course. Chance. 6/10
19) Double Shuffle — Temperamental sort. Only 7 years old. Unknown quantity. 6/10
20) Houblon Des Obeaux — Probably wants softer. Raised 5lbs. Experienced. 7/10
21) Pleasant Company — Should make headway through race. Danger if taking to fences. 7/10
22) One For Arthur — Should make steady progress. Will relish the trip. Great jumper. My winner. 10/10
23) Ballynagour — Classy in pomp. Unseated early last year. Pulled up last three starts. Leap of faith required. 4/10
24) O’Faolains Boy — 2014 RSA winner. Poor this term. Reported wind operation could help. 5/10
25) Highland Lodge — Would be a popular winner with many. Loves these fences. Gives his all. Unlikely stayer though. 5/10
26) Bishops Road — Wants rain undoubtedly. Not the bets jumper. Leap of faith required but should stay if he keeps on his feet. 4/10
27) Lord Windermere — Gold Cup winner in 2014. Struggled since. Improved on reappearance but then disappointed afterward. 5/10
28) Saint Are — Should stay. Has fallen here previously but this is his fourth try in this race. 6/10
29) Vicente — Jumping is the worry. Stays strongly. Scottish National winner previously. 7/10
30) Just A Par — Big price if in the mood. Good on his day. Should stay. A lively outsider. 7/10
31) Measureofmydreams — Headgear on for first time. Dissapointed previously. Leap of faith required. 4/10
32) Raz De Maree — Should stay. Completed previously. Not a god jumper though. Dangerous if completing. 7/10
33) Stellar Notion — Big price. Will run near front. Lovely jumper. Chance at a huge price. 7/10
34) Rogue Angel — Looked better latest. Jumped well over these obstacles in Becher. Possibility. 5/10
35) Cocktails At Dawn — Would be a huge shock. Doubtful stayer. Doubtful jumper. 2/10
36) Thunder And Roses — 2015 Irish National winner. Struggling lately but contender on best form. 6/10
37) Gas Line Boy — Probably past his best. Fell at the first last year. Should stay. 4/10
38) Goodtoknow — Jumping can be awkward. Should stay if jumping. Big ‘if’. 4/10
39) La Vaticane — Stamina is her issue. Not a good traveller. 2/10
40) Doctor Harper — If in the mood, would stay on. Very inconsistent though. Hard to trust. 3/10

Rommy’s prediction:
1 — ONE FOR ARTHUR
2 — CAUSE OF CAUSES
3 — BLAKLION
4 — THE LAST SAMURI
5 — PERFECT CANDIDATE
6 — VICENTE

6:15 - Pinsent Masons Handicap Hurdle
Born Survivor carries top weight but should stay on well against these. Chesterfield has disappointed lately whilst Cousin Oscar has improved dramatically. Darebin was a good third in the Imperial Cup last time out and should go well on that running but SO CELEBRE looks the one to be on. He is a fast improving four year old who quickened well to in recently. If over that run properly, he will take all the beating to end a great meeting once again.

My bets:
1:45 — WHATAKNIGHT @ 12/1
2:25 — FINIAN’S OSCAR @ 3/1
3:00 — POLITOLOGUE @ 9/2
3:40 — FULL CRY @ 16/1 EACH WAY
4:20 — YANWORTH @ 7/4
5:15 — ONE FOR ARTHUR (antepost weekly since December) @ 20/1 EACH WAY
- VICENTE (antepost) @ 33/1 EACH WAY
- THE LAST SAMURI (antepost) @ 20/1 EACH WAY
6:15 — SO CELEBRE @ 6/1

Hopefully, I’ve done the Grand National the preview it deserves and given anyone who doesn’t watch the racing an insight into it (or my perception of it at least). Good luck to everyone who plays and please post your bets in the comments below.

Good luck all,
Keeeeeeeeeeep winning!
[Post edited 8 Apr 2017 2:09]

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Romford's racing preview - THE AINTREE GRAND NATIONAL on 02:17 - Apr 8 with 3514 viewsTractorboy24

The 5 I went for in the national are singles on Raz De Meree, Wonderful Charm and Perfect Candidate as well as E/W bets on Roi Des Francs and Regal Encore. I have Drop Out Joe & Bishops Road in the office sweepstake too, but I'm not holding out too much hope for them. Tried to base my picks on staying power & form, but I think the emphasis of staying on has decreased since the change in safety regulations.
Romford's racing preview - THE AINTREE GRAND NATIONAL on 08:16 - Apr 8 with 3414 viewsTractorWood

Thanks, lad. Went for One for Arthur e/w solely on your chat. Top work this, I'll buy you a pint if I see you today. Bucket hat is coming out today.

Upatowen.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Romford's racing preview - THE AINTREE GRAND NATIONAL on 08:16 - Apr 8 with 3413 viewsthorpedo

1. Blaklion
2. Saphir Du Rhea
3. Ucello Conti.
4. Vicente

Always a hard race to pick as so many variables and, like you say, luck involved.
Great preview btw.

Thorpedo

Romford's racing preview - THE AINTREE GRAND NATIONAL on 08:23 - Apr 8 with 3400 viewssolemio

Most serious and experienced betters do not get involved with the National.
Romford's racing preview - THE AINTREE GRAND NATIONAL on 08:40 - Apr 8 with 3376 viewsbrogansnose

I pulled The Young Master out of the work sweepstake. Oh how they laughed when my first response was ' Fkn hell, the jockey's wearing fkn yellow and green.'
Romford's racing preview - THE AINTREE GRAND NATIONAL on 09:04 - Apr 8 with 3349 viewsPinewoodblue

My selections are as follows

Cause of causes......reminds me of the problems at Ipswich Town. If the Owner/Trainer or Jockey was Evans/Milme or McCarthy would be my first choice

Highland Lodge.......Would love a lodge in the highlands

Thunder & Roses.... Combination of Thunder Clap Newman and Guns & Roses got to be a winner

Just a par ......is however my banker because you just know that sometime this weekend someone is going to say just a par to win.

Didn't take me as long as Rommie to make my selections but probably have just as much chance of hitting the jackpot with four each way bets.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Romford's racing preview - THE AINTREE GRAND NATIONAL on 09:30 - Apr 8 with 3308 viewsSuperfrans

That's good to read. Cheers Rommy.

I've backed One For Arthur already as it happens - I liked its colours.
I also backed Raz De Maree - after my mum, who was named Marie.
And I have Definitly Red in the office sweepstake, along with Wonderful Charm.

So a nice mix of hopers and no-hopers. As usual. ;-)

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Romford's racing preview - THE AINTREE GRAND NATIONAL on 09:47 - Apr 8 with 3283 viewsRyorry

Romford's racing preview - THE AINTREE GRAND NATIONAL on 08:23 - Apr 8 by solemio

Most serious and experienced betters do not get involved with the National.

This most serious and experienced "betters" does, as do most of the serious regulars on the various racing forums because, err, the National is an iconic race, we all love a bit of fun, enjoy playing Sherlock, and you only need to stick a quid on, which most of us can afford!

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Login to get fewer ads

Romford's racing preview - THE AINTREE GRAND NATIONAL on 09:48 - Apr 8 with 3274 viewsSuperfrans

Romford's racing preview - THE AINTREE GRAND NATIONAL on 09:47 - Apr 8 by Ryorry

This most serious and experienced "betters" does, as do most of the serious regulars on the various racing forums because, err, the National is an iconic race, we all love a bit of fun, enjoy playing Sherlock, and you only need to stick a quid on, which most of us can afford!

I thought a quid was the highest stake allowed? Am I getting this wrong?? 😉

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Romford's racing preview - THE AINTREE GRAND NATIONAL on 10:46 - Apr 8 with 3191 viewsBergholtBru

Trust you`ll keep this up when the "flat" gets going Rommers., My preferred code.Roll on Newmarket!! Might not follow all your suggestions, but interesting reading and just as good as you get in the press.

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

Romford's racing preview - THE AINTREE GRAND NATIONAL on 10:46 - Apr 8 with 3191 viewssolemio

Romford's racing preview - THE AINTREE GRAND NATIONAL on 09:47 - Apr 8 by Ryorry

That's not betting; that's having fun!
Romford's racing preview - THE AINTREE GRAND NATIONAL on 11:13 - Apr 8 with 3153 viewsitfcbw

Ive gone fairly big on Wonderful Charm. Backed at 66/1 after it flew home at Cheltenham, now down into 33/1. Hopefully K Walsh rides it a bit better today, could have won at Cheltenham with a different ride.
Romford's racing preview - THE AINTREE GRAND NATIONAL on 11:37 - Apr 8 with 3126 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Cheers all

Had fun writing it, off to Fulham soon but I shall find a bookies for the race

Three points and a one for Arthur win would be perfect

Romford's racing preview - THE AINTREE GRAND NATIONAL on 12:10 - Apr 8 with 3096 viewsRyorry

I've gone for

First choice - SAINT ARE - Experienced over National fences, goes well in springtime, blinkers first time

Second choice - UCELLO CONTI - 6th last year, this quicker ground shouldn't be a problem.

G'luck everybody & have fun!

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Romford's racing preview - THE AINTREE GRAND NATIONAL on 13:29 - Apr 8 with 3008 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Romford's racing preview - THE AINTREE GRAND NATIONAL on 12:10 - Apr 8 by Ryorry

I've gone for

First choice - SAINT ARE - Experienced over National fences, goes well in springtime, blinkers first time

Second choice - UCELLO CONTI - 6th last year, this quicker ground shouldn't be a problem.

G'luck everybody & have fun!

The colours of your favourite are a bit suspect but that applies to loads of them.......lots of winners at Cheltenham too if I remember correctly.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Romford's racing preview - THE AINTREE GRAND NATIONAL on 13:48 - Apr 8 with 2982 viewsm14_blue

Romford's racing preview - THE AINTREE GRAND NATIONAL on 13:29 - Apr 8 by BanksterDebtSlave

The colours of your favourite are a bit suspect but that applies to loads of them.......lots of winners at Cheltenham too if I remember correctly.

Tell me about it. I'm trying to choose but every horse I like the look of seems to have absolutely disgusting colours that I could never cheer on in a million years.

It's a genuine dilemma.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2017 13:49]
Romford's racing preview - THE AINTREE GRAND NATIONAL on 14:29 - Apr 8 with 2910 viewsJ2BLUE

Did a few bets last night

Saphir Du Rheu to come in first 4 at 5.5
The Last Samuri to come in first 4 at 5.5
Shantou Flyer EW (6 places - Betway) at 66/1
Thunder and Roses EW (6 places Betway) at 33/1

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Romford's racing preview - THE AINTREE GRAND NATIONAL on 16:58 - Apr 8 with 2795 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Events of today that you might've seen means I am home

National on.

Had a treble today with two of my other winners for another £150 too if OFA can win

I've done well with my horses today you'll see

That might cheer you up Rommy!! on 17:33 - Apr 8 with 2728 viewsTLA

Romford's racing preview - THE AINTREE GRAND NATIONAL on 16:58 - Apr 8 by The_Romford_Blue

Events of today that you might've seen means I am home

National on.

Had a treble today with two of my other winners for another £150 too if OFA can win

I've done well with my horses today you'll see

Nice one fella - great call!
That might cheer you up Rommy!! on 17:35 - Apr 8 with 2702 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

That might cheer you up Rommy!! on 17:33 - Apr 8 by TLA

Nice one fella - great call!

Won a grand

On that since December

Did the double with Ricky fowler at 28/1 in the Golf too

Romford's racing preview - THE AINTREE GRAND NATIONAL on 17:37 - Apr 8 with 2680 viewsJohnhoz

Cheers Rommy. I had a couple of quid on One For Arthur at 16's thanks to you.

All 40 horses back safely, too.

I'm not a huge racing fan but that run up the hill after the final fence in the national is just epic.

I reckon we should sack the manager every time we lose a game
Poll: Right now, why do you go to games

That might cheer you up Rommy!! on 17:39 - Apr 8 with 2653 viewsJamma

That might cheer you up Rommy!! on 17:35 - Apr 8 by The_Romford_Blue

Won a grand

On that since December

Did the double with Ricky fowler at 28/1 in the Golf too

Top work mate, put a fiver on, should have lumped more haha!
Romford's racing preview - THE AINTREE GRAND NATIONAL on 17:40 - Apr 8 with 2648 viewsJ2BLUE

Nice one Rommers, much deserved and a great FU to everyone who was posting about avoiding your tips.

Well played.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Romford's racing preview - THE AINTREE GRAND NATIONAL on 17:51 - Apr 8 with 2581 viewsbluejake78

Cheers Rommy Uncle Arthur and a few Quid ew ON YOUR recommendation.I also sneeked a place.....let there be Nando's tonight.Blackburn the third team going down.
My Coral account is fatter than a Diss lass.
Romford's racing preview - THE AINTREE GRAND NATIONAL on 17:55 - Apr 8 with 2564 viewsnorth_stand77

Thanks Rommy, picked the winner after reading your post. Unfortunately it was for my other half!!

Well done to you on your win!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024