Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. 11:30 - Apr 8 with 22729 viewsIpswichTownNL

This week I was talking to an Ipswich mate when he mentioned he heard a rumour that ‘Town would get a Dutch manager that was currently not working in the Eredivisie (Dutch PL)’. I asked where he heard this and his answer was ‘a gas station in Cardiff’. I obviously laughed it away and told him that there would only be one manager in the Dutch Championship (Jupiler League) that I would want to see at Town; Maurice Steijn. He’s the current manager of VVV-Venlo a club that I support since I can walk.

I didn’t put much thought into the whole thing. This week the rumours of a ‘Dutch consortium’ came about and I still didn’t think much of it. Last night at the VVV game we were talking about Steijn and how he hasn’t renewed his contract yet despite VVV going up in a matter of days. I told a mate I heard a rumour that Town would get a Dutch Manager and that it might be Steijn. He immediately said ‘Well, in that case ‘The Carpet King’ has be involved. And that actually makes sense.

Who’s ‘The Carpet King’? His name is John van Zweden. A former ADO den Haag Hooligan who bought 1/5 of Swansea City about 25 years ago for 50k. Fast forward 25 years and last year van Zweden sold his interest in Swansea for about 20 million pound. Van Zweden and Steijn are very good mates. I also know van Zweden has a huge soft spot for Ipswich. I follow him on twitter where I repeatedly seen him talk about Ipswich with Tom van Hulsen (writher of the book ‘Game Changers’ on Muhren and Thijssen) about how the club should be in in the Premier League and just last night he tweeted that Steijn would be a perfect manager for Town.

He’s also a bit of controversial person. Like I said he’s former Hooligan with ‘f*ck you money’ and pretty much behaves that way. He called the current Chinese owner of ADO a gook and what not. He’s called The Carpet King (actually The Wall Paper King, but I like Carpet King better, lol) because he — still — has a wallpaper and carpet shop in The Hague.

So, if there is such a thing as a Dutch Consortium odds are likely van Zweden is involved. Obviously 20 Million Pounds isn’t going to get you anywhere but maybe he got some people interested in repeating the Swansea story at Ipswich. I would like him being involved in Town very much over some Chinese or Arab fellow. He’s a proper football man that for sure.

With regard to Steijn. Good manager. Though as nails and doesn’t seem to have any favourites in a team. I haven’t disagreed with his starting line up once in 3 years.

So, make of this what you want. Probably not much but thought it was worth sharing.

Dutch Tractor Boys! Follow on Twitter; @IpswichTownNL

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 13:52 - Apr 8 with 4125 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 13:42 - Apr 8 by MJallday

yeah, and now she's stalking me

i believe the word is "roflcopter"

Hahahahhaha

Player 😂

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Van Zweden has now deleted all his ITFC related tweets... on 00:15 - Apr 9 with 3865 viewsblaggers

No Carpet King buyout. But we might still be in line for Maurice Steijn...after today, I'd take Maurice Gibb.

Poll: What happens next?

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 03:24 - Apr 9 with 3782 viewsGunnsAirkick

The rumour level on this now is going through the roof. Look, if someone who loves our former Dutch playmakers that much and loves Town I think like Lucan I am near spaf.
The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 05:44 - Apr 9 with 3739 viewsReuser_is_God

Just read the news story re Steijn, if it's true & we are interested in him does this mean that we may also be in for a change of structure at ITFC for a more European model?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 10:42 - Apr 9 with 3506 viewsBinner

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 12:50 - Apr 8 by MJallday

sorry to burst everyones bubble

edit - phil - i want a "TWTD understands" story out of this credited to me. :)

[Post edited 8 Apr 2017 12:53]

Yeah...'cos every time anybody is negotiating a £multi-million deal they'll confirm it to any random passer-by (or twitterer) who asks.

(Not having a pop MJ but they really wouldn't tell you if they were planning something)

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 11:36 - Apr 9 with 3452 viewsMJallday

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 10:42 - Apr 9 by Binner

Yeah...'cos every time anybody is negotiating a £multi-million deal they'll confirm it to any random passer-by (or twitterer) who asks.

(Not having a pop MJ but they really wouldn't tell you if they were planning something)

i agree with you to an extent, but what i got back was an explict "no"

so if they were not going to say anything, or deny - they wouldnt say anything, or they would deflect the question - they certainly wouldnt come out with a "hey, no way, im a swansea fan" - otehrwise if it did transpire to be true, theyve undermined themselves straight away

this bloke isnt involved. it was worth the question . end off

fwiw - im gutted - id love a dutch influence here.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. (n/t) on 11:41 - Apr 9 with 3428 viewspatrickswell

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. (n/t) on 13:14 - Apr 8 by IpswichTownNL

[Post edited 8 Apr 2017 13:16]

If nothing else, his resemblance to Henning Wehn is a plus.
The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 11:43 - Apr 9 with 3413 viewsNewcyBlue

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 11:36 - Apr 9 by MJallday

i agree with you to an extent, but what i got back was an explict "no"

so if they were not going to say anything, or deny - they wouldnt say anything, or they would deflect the question - they certainly wouldnt come out with a "hey, no way, im a swansea fan" - otehrwise if it did transpire to be true, theyve undermined themselves straight away

this bloke isnt involved. it was worth the question . end off

fwiw - im gutted - id love a dutch influence here.

The closest you will get is a Dutch Oven with the missus after a curry....

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Login to get fewer ads

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 11:58 - Apr 9 with 3396 viewsTheBlueBarca

My thoughts is this is a perfect work of fiction.

The key tell for me, that this is indeed fake news.... isn't Swansea supporting hooligans on Twitter, it's that it's a "Dutch" consortium.

If any fictional consortium of any country ever would be from anywhere at all the get people over excited on this forum it would be Holland. It's just too perfect a story, whoever has made this all up must be laughing their heads off.

I may start a post on the Norwich forum suggesting Gordon Ramsay is about to swoop in and buy them!

Everyone on this forum is always wrong.
Poll: Should Tommy Smith be awarded a Testimonial at Ipswich?

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 12:01 - Apr 9 with 3375 viewsJ2BLUE

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 11:58 - Apr 9 by TheBlueBarca

The key tell for me, that this is indeed fake news.... isn't Swansea supporting hooligans on Twitter, it's that it's a "Dutch" consortium.

If any fictional consortium of any country ever would be from anywhere at all the get people over excited on this forum it would be Holland. It's just too perfect a story, whoever has made this all up must be laughing their heads off.

I may start a post on the Norwich forum suggesting Gordon Ramsay is about to swoop in and buy them!

Agree that it's rubbish but a consortium from anywhere would get people excited at the moment.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 12:04 - Apr 9 with 3363 viewsTheBlueBarca

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 12:01 - Apr 9 by J2BLUE

Agree that it's rubbish but a consortium from anywhere would get people excited at the moment.

The Co-op could look to buy us and we would still end up being run by Poundland.

Everyone on this forum is always wrong.
Poll: Should Tommy Smith be awarded a Testimonial at Ipswich?

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 13:10 - Apr 9 with 3291 viewsMJallday

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 12:04 - Apr 9 by TheBlueBarca

The Co-op could look to buy us and we would still end up being run by Poundland.

how would that differ from now?

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 13:19 - Apr 9 with 3288 viewsLord_Lucan

If you actually took the bloody time to read the initial post on this you would realise it was not a wind up or attempt at misinformation. It was a chat between a couple of Dutch fans that know a bit about the people "lightly" rumoured to be involved.

No one at any time has said this is actually happening or even being discussed and no one has tried to spin it.

The whole thing is unlikely but not impossible and if it was on the table there is absolutely no way anyone would be the wiser.

Please don't take this the wrong way but your definite info on Mick Mack staying and looking at some other of your posts you come across as a bit daft.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 14:35 - Apr 9 with 3189 viewsSwansea_Blue

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 11:34 - Apr 8 by ClausThomsen

I hope this happens.

I hope anything happens.

ASAP.

Be careful what you wish for. JvZ wasn't integral to Swansea's success as he wasn't the ones making decisions. He was largely an embarrassment, shhoting his mouth off on social media and always reliable for an inflammatory quote.

Despite selling his shares he still somehow gets his hands on a good number of tickets he then resells them and organises trips over for Dutch fans. That sounds ok in itself, but this is against a backdrop of big queues for STs, in some cases people waiting for years. The fans here hate it, but again he takes to Twitter to brag about it and wind them up.

He's hated with a passion down here, and I'd agree there's some justification in that hatred.

That quote in the OP about him behaving like a hooligan with money seems to sum him up a treat.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 14:40 - Apr 9 with 3178 viewsLuk38644

Luke Friend is me.

You're welcome.
The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 14:41 - Apr 9 with 3176 viewsLord_Lucan

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 14:35 - Apr 9 by Swansea_Blue

Be careful what you wish for. JvZ wasn't integral to Swansea's success as he wasn't the ones making decisions. He was largely an embarrassment, shhoting his mouth off on social media and always reliable for an inflammatory quote.

Despite selling his shares he still somehow gets his hands on a good number of tickets he then resells them and organises trips over for Dutch fans. That sounds ok in itself, but this is against a backdrop of big queues for STs, in some cases people waiting for years. The fans here hate it, but again he takes to Twitter to brag about it and wind them up.

He's hated with a passion down here, and I'd agree there's some justification in that hatred.

That quote in the OP about him behaving like a hooligan with money seems to sum him up a treat.

Sounds fine to me.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 14:52 - Apr 9 with 3145 viewsSuperfrans

Lily's a Fulham fan, isn't she? Maybe she saw you yesterday took a shine to you....

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 17:05 - Apr 9 with 3032 viewsPhilTWTD

I think the 'Dutch consortium' claim came from the - probably made up - rumours re a takeover after the Birmingham game being conflated - inadvertently or deliberately - with a rumour about a Dutch manager, apparently Maurice Steijn, which were floating around a couple of weeks beforehand.
The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 17:07 - Apr 9 with 3024 viewsPhilTWTD

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 13:19 - Apr 9 by Lord_Lucan

If you actually took the bloody time to read the initial post on this you would realise it was not a wind up or attempt at misinformation. It was a chat between a couple of Dutch fans that know a bit about the people "lightly" rumoured to be involved.

No one at any time has said this is actually happening or even being discussed and no one has tried to spin it.

The whole thing is unlikely but not impossible and if it was on the table there is absolutely no way anyone would be the wiser.

Please don't take this the wrong way but your definite info on Mick Mack staying and looking at some other of your posts you come across as a bit daft.

That wasn't the initial post re a Dutch consortium, that was speculation based on previous posts and the Steijn whisper which had been circulating.
The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 17:14 - Apr 9 with 2986 viewsGlasgowBlue

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 14:35 - Apr 9 by Swansea_Blue

Always reliable for a quote? Organises trips for Dutch fans?

I'll have some of that please.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 17:37 - Apr 9 with 2943 viewsLord_Lucan

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 17:07 - Apr 9 by PhilTWTD

That wasn't the initial post re a Dutch consortium, that was speculation based on previous posts and the Steijn whisper which had been circulating.

I was referring to the initial post on this thread about The Swansea bloke and suggesting that whilst it is unlikely the idea at least had some background rather than a pick it out of the air rumour.

The first post I remember was I think Ely Blue and Texters who both heard a whisper / text at the same game.

The first post on this particular thread though did actually give some grounds to the suggestion despite probably being very weak.

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 17:42 - Apr 9 with 2921 viewshampstead_blue

Do you think he might wallpaper the turnstiles?

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 18:14 - Apr 9 with 2862 viewsPhilTWTD

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 17:37 - Apr 9 by Lord_Lucan

I was referring to the initial post on this thread about The Swansea bloke and suggesting that whilst it is unlikely the idea at least had some background rather than a pick it out of the air rumour.

The first post I remember was I think Ely Blue and Texters who both heard a whisper / text at the same game.

The first post on this particular thread though did actually give some grounds to the suggestion despite probably being very weak.

As I say, just think the Dutch consortium thing was Chinese whispers on the Dutch manager rumour - first heard something along those lines a couple of weeks back and the name at the Birmingham game - not got the impression that ME is looking for an exit at present. The John van Zweden speculation was a bit unlikely - he's personally not in the right ballpark* - and he's said there's definitely nothing in it.

*Just reread the original post and he actually 'only' sold his stake in Swansea for £8m not £20m. He was essentially a fan investor when he put his £50,000 at the last minute when the club was on its uppers and was in desperate need of being saved.

This post has been edited by an administrator
The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 18:19 - Apr 9 with 2847 viewsBackToRussia

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 18:14 - Apr 9 by PhilTWTD

As I say, just think the Dutch consortium thing was Chinese whispers on the Dutch manager rumour - first heard something along those lines a couple of weeks back and the name at the Birmingham game - not got the impression that ME is looking for an exit at present. The John van Zweden speculation was a bit unlikely - he's personally not in the right ballpark* - and he's said there's definitely nothing in it.

*Just reread the original post and he actually 'only' sold his stake in Swansea for £8m not £20m. He was essentially a fan investor when he put his £50,000 at the last minute when the club was on its uppers and was in desperate need of being saved.

What are your thoughts on the likelihood of MM going Phil?
Seems to me that people are getting a bit ahead of themselves and Mick staying is still the most likely outcome.
Or do you have a suspicion ME is making alternate arrangements?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 18:32 - Apr 9 with 2832 viewsPhilTWTD

The Dutch Consortium. Few thoughts. on 18:19 - Apr 9 by BackToRussia

What are your thoughts on the likelihood of MM going Phil?
Seems to me that people are getting a bit ahead of themselves and Mick staying is still the most likely outcome.
Or do you have a suspicion ME is making alternate arrangements?

I think he'll go in the summer or once we're safe, don't really think it's healthy for a club to continue to have a manager who such a significant section of the support have little time for. To be fair to Mick, he has said he agrees with that line of thought.

Also, from his perspective he doesn't need the hassle. Can't be much fun managing the club at the moment, getting booed all the time, abused as he walks off the field, as he was yesterday.

He'll get another club without much trouble, probably one where there's more money to spend and a greater chance of getting promoted. Outside Town circles the wider view is he's done a very good job here given the lack of resources.

I'm sure ME has been assessing where to go next since Mick said he would consider his position in the summer. Whether Maurice Steijn is on the current long list I've no idea, Tom van Hulsen was surprised when the name cropped up and he knows more about Dutch football than most of us. Would be a left field appointment, I think.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024