Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Future manager 08:09 - Apr 28 with 4762 viewsskelly1923

The Cowley brothers from Lincoln could work their magic here
Future manager on 11:26 - Apr 28 with 1309 viewsClausThomsen

Future manager on 11:14 - Apr 28 by Guthrum

The top two tiers of English football are the "highest levels". Regularly regarded as among the toughest and most competitive in the world.

So, they've managed to turn over some half-decent teams* on a cup run. Parkinson did better than that, as I pointed out - and he has a stronger record of promotions at a much higher level.

* Us during a dip in form and confidence, Brighton reserves while chasing promotion, Burnley who were concentrating on staying in the Prem.

Parkinson did better than that one season with a League One team. Parkinson's also been sacked twice. They're not comparable prospects at the moment.

*A dip in form and confidence? We beat Bristol City at home, we should have beaten QPR at theirs but the manager tried to sit on a draw (and lost), then Lincoln outplayed us with a full strength side in the next home match. Then we beat Blackburn at home before being embarrassed on national TV in the return leg.

Any manager who took non-league Lincoln to victories over Ipswich, Brighton and Burnley (and competed well for 45 minutes at Arsenal) deserve more credit than Phil Parkinson comparisons. Especially considering their background.

But it's not about the Cowleys, it's about defending Mick's awful performance through the use of lame excuses as per.
Future manager on 11:27 - Apr 28 with 1298 viewsBluefish

Future manager on 11:09 - Apr 28 by ClausThomsen

We aren't, we've avoided relegation in April and if we stick with the manager who's taken us here from the playoffs then our fate is inevitable.

Inevitable that he will take us back to the play offs again ??

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Future manager on 11:30 - Apr 28 with 1289 viewsLankHenners

When will people learn that a few victories over reserve sides that clearly weren't interested doesn't constitute an ability to manage at Championship level.

With our resources? Without the contacts? No way.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Future manager on 11:30 - Apr 28 with 1283 viewsClausThomsen

Future manager on 11:27 - Apr 28 by Bluefish

Inevitable that he will take us back to the play offs again ??

Get over the playoffs. We made it once, just, and haven't come close since.
Future manager on 11:32 - Apr 28 with 1282 viewsClausThomsen

Future manager on 11:30 - Apr 28 by LankHenners

When will people learn that a few victories over reserve sides that clearly weren't interested doesn't constitute an ability to manage at Championship level.

With our resources? Without the contacts? No way.

Ah ok, so if you're in the "Mick In" gang, part of your work is to downplay the Cowley's achievements as they make Mick look obsolete.

I get it.
Future manager on 11:33 - Apr 28 with 1273 viewsBluefish

Future manager on 11:30 - Apr 28 by ClausThomsen

Get over the playoffs. We made it once, just, and haven't come close since.

Can you get over relegation then??

Future manager on 11:33 - Apr 28 with 1268 viewsGuthrum

Future manager on 11:09 - Apr 28 by ClausThomsen

We aren't, we've avoided relegation in April and if we stick with the manager who's taken us here from the playoffs then our fate is inevitable.

He took us in the other direction, too - and we were far deeper in the mire at the end of October 2012 than we ever have been this season.

If there is a decent refreshing of the team, then there's no reason why McCarthy should not be able to give it a decent run at success again. If there isn't, then anybody coming in will struggle just as badly.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Future manager on 11:35 - Apr 28 with 1267 viewsReuser_is_God

Future manager on 11:32 - Apr 28 by ClausThomsen

Ah ok, so if you're in the "Mick In" gang, part of your work is to downplay the Cowley's achievements as they make Mick look obsolete.

I get it.

Mick fans will always down talk any suggestion of his replacement in the same way a Mick outer will big up anyone who is mentioned as a replacement.

That's just the way it is.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Login to get fewer ads

Future manager on 11:36 - Apr 28 with 1255 viewsKieran_Knows

Future manager on 11:35 - Apr 28 by Reuser_is_God

Mick fans will always down talk any suggestion of his replacement in the same way a Mick outer will big up anyone who is mentioned as a replacement.

That's just the way it is.

Just remember who you're replying that answer too....

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Future manager on 11:39 - Apr 28 with 1245 viewsBluebell

I love the way a new poster posts something about the Cowley brothers and then disappears.

That's twice he/she has done it!
Future manager on 11:41 - Apr 28 with 1243 viewsLankHenners

Future manager on 11:32 - Apr 28 by ClausThomsen

I get it.

Well no, they're good achievements for them but as Guthrum alluded to they're comparatively bigger than the other clubs in their league finance-wise, and a jump from non-league to the Championship with no time in the football league to build up contacts, connections, get a feel for the league etc. is far too big a leap.

If we were having a better season in the league people would only be slightly miffed at the Lincoln results considering we always limp out of the FA Cup in the third round, but everything that can be thrown at Mick has been amplified to ridiculous levels across this season.

FWIW, I've said on numerous occasions I'd be happy with a younger, up-an-coming manager from the league below having a go here. Equally, if Mick stays and he receives full backing from Evans, I'd be happy for him to see out his contract.

Future manager on 11:45 - Apr 28 with 1234 viewsReuser_is_God

Future manager on 11:41 - Apr 28 by LankHenners

Well no, they're good achievements for them but as Guthrum alluded to they're comparatively bigger than the other clubs in their league finance-wise, and a jump from non-league to the Championship with no time in the football league to build up contacts, connections, get a feel for the league etc. is far too big a leap.

If we were having a better season in the league people would only be slightly miffed at the Lincoln results considering we always limp out of the FA Cup in the third round, but everything that can be thrown at Mick has been amplified to ridiculous levels across this season.

FWIW, I've said on numerous occasions I'd be happy with a younger, up-an-coming manager from the league below having a go here. Equally, if Mick stays and he receives full backing from Evans, I'd be happy for him to see out his contract.

'If we were having a better season in the league people would only be slightly miffed at the Lincoln results considering we always limp out of the FA Cup in the third round, but everything that can be thrown at Mick has been amplified to ridiculous levels across this season.'

Whilst true I do think this is just human nature though, if something isn't going as well as you'd like then one of events that also don't go as you'd like are made into a bigger issue.

Looking at the Lincoln game in isolation I think the fact that we were so abject & it was on TV only added it the frustration. Sometimes a poor performance is over played but we were genuinely fcuking awful that night. It was like England vs Iceland all over again.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Future manager on 11:46 - Apr 28 with 1230 viewsGuthrum

Future manager on 11:26 - Apr 28 by ClausThomsen

Parkinson did better than that one season with a League One team. Parkinson's also been sacked twice. They're not comparable prospects at the moment.

*A dip in form and confidence? We beat Bristol City at home, we should have beaten QPR at theirs but the manager tried to sit on a draw (and lost), then Lincoln outplayed us with a full strength side in the next home match. Then we beat Blackburn at home before being embarrassed on national TV in the return leg.

Any manager who took non-league Lincoln to victories over Ipswich, Brighton and Burnley (and competed well for 45 minutes at Arsenal) deserve more credit than Phil Parkinson comparisons. Especially considering their background.

But it's not about the Cowleys, it's about defending Mick's awful performance through the use of lame excuses as per.

I'm not sure they do deserve that - yet. The Cowleys may go on to great success in the future, but they aren't there at the moment.

If managing Ipswich, they would have to handle a far larger staff, cope with more demanding owner and fans, handle intense media scrutiny and compete in 46 matches against Championship-level opposition (including recently ex-Prem clubs) every season. Bit of a different prospect to three cup fixtures against one shambolic and two distracted teams.

This thread was about the Cowleys. Only you have made it about McCarthy.

Future manager on 11:51 - Apr 28 with 1224 viewsLankHenners

Future manager on 11:45 - Apr 28 by Reuser_is_God

'If we were having a better season in the league people would only be slightly miffed at the Lincoln results considering we always limp out of the FA Cup in the third round, but everything that can be thrown at Mick has been amplified to ridiculous levels across this season.'

Whilst true I do think this is just human nature though, if something isn't going as well as you'd like then one of events that also don't go as you'd like are made into a bigger issue.

Looking at the Lincoln game in isolation I think the fact that we were so abject & it was on TV only added it the frustration. Sometimes a poor performance is over played but we were genuinely fcuking awful that night. It was like England vs Iceland all over again.

I agree it kinda goes without saying but I feel the Lincoln game being used as a massive stick to beat Mick with is a tad unfair. I saw a clip of their winner doing the rounds on Twitter last night labelled as 'people with short memories and think Mick should stay should have a look at this'. Ignoring the quite funny unintentional irony of that, that's just daft.

I agree with the last paragraph, it was dreadful and one big gripe of mine with Mick is the lack of effort in cup games. I'm fed up of limping out to lower league teams because we don't take it seriously. At the end of the day they're meaningless but it's just not fun like it should be.

Future manager on 11:52 - Apr 28 with 1224 viewsGuthrum

Future manager on 11:45 - Apr 28 by Reuser_is_God

I think if people had not been able to watch it on TV, then there wouldn't be half the fuss in some quarters - however badly we'd played.

Level of opposition notwithstanding, was it any more abject a performance than Rotherham at home last season? Or the second half away at Cardiff last month?

Future manager on 11:55 - Apr 28 with 1211 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Future manager on 10:52 - Apr 28 by ClausThomsen

That's ignoring that they almost beat us at home in the first leg when we played a full strength team, as well as ignoring their triumphs over Brighton and Burnley.

They aren't miracle workers and wouldn't be employed at the "highest levels".

Mick is though...

We didn't play a full strength side

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Future manager on 11:55 - Apr 28 with 1212 viewsClausThomsen

Future manager on 11:33 - Apr 28 by Guthrum

He took us in the other direction, too - and we were far deeper in the mire at the end of October 2012 than we ever have been this season.

If there is a decent refreshing of the team, then there's no reason why McCarthy should not be able to give it a decent run at success again. If there isn't, then anybody coming in will struggle just as badly.

I've no criticism of Mick's performance until after the playoffs. He's risen and he's fallen.

If you think he's going to rise again I challenge you to find a comparable example of a manager that has made the playoffs, then to a relegation battle, kept his job and then refreshed the team and succeeded.

I can't think of any. I can't think of a chairman stupid enough to try it.
Future manager on 11:56 - Apr 28 with 1207 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Future manager on 10:54 - Apr 28 by chicoazul

Celestial gods but I am sick to death of hearing about the Cowley brothers.

The 2017 Darren Ferguson

Future manager on 11:56 - Apr 28 with 1203 viewsartsbossbeard

Future manager on 11:55 - Apr 28 by ClausThomsen

I've no criticism of Mick's performance until after the playoffs. He's risen and he's fallen.

If you think he's going to rise again I challenge you to find a comparable example of a manager that has made the playoffs, then to a relegation battle, kept his job and then refreshed the team and succeeded.

"relegation battle"

Only on here.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Future manager on 11:57 - Apr 28 with 1196 viewsKieran_Knows

Future manager on 11:56 - Apr 28 by artsbossbeard

"relegation battle"

Only on here.

It suited peoples agendas to say we were in a relegation battle.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Future manager on 11:57 - Apr 28 with 1194 viewsBluefish

Future manager on 11:56 - Apr 28 by The_Romford_Blue

The 2017 Darren Ferguson

Or Lee Clark

Future manager on 11:57 - Apr 28 with 1193 viewshype313

Future manager on 10:43 - Apr 28 by Guthrum

I, too, reckon McCarthy will be here next season.

I simply don't think it reasonable to regard the Cowley Brothers as some sort of miracle workers, suitable for immediate employment at the highest levels, just because they beat us on TV - when a fair bit of that was down to own crapness that day.

They were given a glowing reference by Clive Woodward when he went to meet them, they were doing things so forward thinking it reminded him of his time as England Manager.

He felt they had all the attributes to go onto bigger things, going from Lincoln to Ipswich isn't a huge jump.

I'm under no illusions that they will end up at a higher level because someone thought it would be a good idea to take a gamble on them, and all our fans will be moaning saying we should have got them when we had a chance.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Future manager on 11:58 - Apr 28 with 1190 viewsartsbossbeard

Future manager on 11:57 - Apr 28 by Kieran_Knows

It suited peoples agendas to say we were in a relegation battle.

Gotcha!

I thought I was supporting Burton Albion for a minute.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Future manager on 11:58 - Apr 28 with 1190 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Future manager on 11:55 - Apr 28 by ClausThomsen

Hughton at Brighton

Dyche at Burnley (relegated from premier league)

Future manager on 12:02 - Apr 28 with 1178 viewsClausThomsen

Future manager on 11:46 - Apr 28 by Guthrum

I'm not sure they do deserve that - yet. The Cowleys may go on to great success in the future, but they aren't there at the moment.

If managing Ipswich, they would have to handle a far larger staff, cope with more demanding owner and fans, handle intense media scrutiny and compete in 46 matches against Championship-level opposition (including recently ex-Prem clubs) every season. Bit of a different prospect to three cup fixtures against one shambolic and two distracted teams.

This thread was about the Cowleys. Only you have made it about McCarthy.

This thread was about a future manager.

And all the staunch MM supporters (which is what you are) have tried their best to downplay the achievements of the proposed future manager, while making excuses for their flailing clown who just lost to Rotherham.

If MM's here next season, I'm out. I'm sick of the dialogue.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024