Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? 16:00 - May 1 with 4886 viewsDolly2.0

I'm about to watch Spy (2015) on a recommendation. But really good comedy movies are difficult to come by - certainly it seems difficult to sustain the laughs for the length of a movie.

Right now I can only really think of Airplane! in terms of genuine non-stop LOLs. Alpha Papa was good but still not quite as good as a regular Alan Partridge episode. A mate reckoned The Inbetweeners movie is the best comedy movie he's ever seen but I just found it a bit of a cringe-fest. I really enjoyed The Lego Movie, but again not up there with the classics in other genres.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 16:04 - May 1 with 4098 viewsDubtractor

I watched 20 minutes of that and turned it off, it was awful!

Some of my favourites (off top of my head) include..

Napoleon Dynamite
Anchorman
Blades of Glory
Best in Show
This is Spinal Tap
Team America

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 16:07 - May 1 with 4089 viewsDolly2.0

Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 16:04 - May 1 by Dubtractor

I watched 20 minutes of that and turned it off, it was awful!

Some of my favourites (off top of my head) include..

Napoleon Dynamite
Anchorman
Blades of Glory
Best in Show
This is Spinal Tap
Team America

Anchorman's pretty good, forgot about that. Don't think I've ever fully watched Spinal Tap. Not seen the rest.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 16:10 - May 1 with 4075 viewsDubtractor

Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 16:07 - May 1 by Dolly2.0

Anchorman's pretty good, forgot about that. Don't think I've ever fully watched Spinal Tap. Not seen the rest.

Seriously though, good luck with Spy, it may have got better but 20 minutes of forced jokes was too much for me.

A genuinely great film, both funny and serious, is The Guard.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_guard_2011

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 16:16 - May 1 with 4051 viewsLord_Lucan

Uncle Buck springs to mind.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 16:19 - May 1 with 4034 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

All pretty obvious ones...

Withnail & I
The Big Lebowski
Play It Again Sam
Love & Death
Holy Grail
Next Friday
[Post edited 1 May 2017 16:22]
Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 16:29 - May 1 with 4000 viewsIllinoisblue

Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 16:19 - May 1 by FrowsyArmLarry

All pretty obvious ones...

Withnail & I
The Big Lebowski
Play It Again Sam
Love & Death
Holy Grail
Next Friday
[Post edited 1 May 2017 16:22]

yes to Big Lebowski, some cracking lines in that one. Christmas Vacation is always good for a seasonal chuckle.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 16:32 - May 1 with 3988 viewsDarth_Koont

Kingpin

Also has the best performance by an actor in any genre by Bill Murray.

Pronouns: He/Him

Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 16:36 - May 1 with 3971 viewsfooters

Borat.

I haven't been back to the cinema since. What's the point?

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 16:41 - May 1 with 3954 viewsIllinoisblue

Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 16:16 - May 1 by Lord_Lucan

Uncle Buck springs to mind.

fun fact. my kids - unintentionally and not known until someone pointed it out at a party - have the same names as the kids in Uncle Buck.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 16:42 - May 1 with 3949 viewsBenters

Carry on camping.

Carry on screaming.

The Burbs .

Meet the parents.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 17:01 - May 1 with 3901 viewsbrazil1982

I'm a huge Laurel and Hardy fan, and their movies and "short" movies would fill this space. So, forgetting them and getting into the more modern era,

Stir Crazy
Dumb and Dumber
Cannonball Run
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Coming to America
Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 18:36 - May 1 with 3805 viewsWeWereZombies

The correct answer, as already stated twice, is The Big Lebowski but Monsieur Hulot's Holiday is a very close second.

Honorable mentions to:

The Titfield Thunderbolt
Duck Soup
A Night At The Opera
Horse Feathers
Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail
The Harry Hill Movie
Jour de Fete
Life Is Beautiful
Airplane

and hundreds of others I cannot dredge up from memory at the moment.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 18:48 - May 1 with 3786 viewsbrogansnose

Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 18:36 - May 1 by WeWereZombies

The correct answer, as already stated twice, is The Big Lebowski but Monsieur Hulot's Holiday is a very close second.

Honorable mentions to:

The Titfield Thunderbolt
Duck Soup
A Night At The Opera
Horse Feathers
Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail
The Harry Hill Movie
Jour de Fete
Life Is Beautiful
Airplane

and hundreds of others I cannot dredge up from memory at the moment.

Monsieur Hulot's Holiday is my favourite comedy film. Absolute classic and still funny however many times I watch it.

Tropic Thunder, cheesy overblown starfest but wtf.

Laurel & Hardy. Some brilliant stuff in their listings but forgotten these days.
Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 18:54 - May 1 with 3775 viewsWeWereZombies

Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 18:48 - May 1 by brogansnose

Monsieur Hulot's Holiday is my favourite comedy film. Absolute classic and still funny however many times I watch it.

Tropic Thunder, cheesy overblown starfest but wtf.

Laurel & Hardy. Some brilliant stuff in their listings but forgotten these days.

Tropic Thunder is a good shout, confidently funny enough to dispense with Steve Coogan early on. In a similar vein, Something About Mary is a decent comedy film as is Animal House. Although the top twenty of comedy films should perhaps just be Tati and Coen Brothers films. But then again, there are those madcap Pinewood films from the 60s like A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum...and anything by the Boulting Brothers...

Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 18:57 - May 1 with 3766 viewsPJH

Clockwise (John Cleese)
Arthur (Dudley Moore)
Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 19:00 - May 1 with 3763 viewsMelford

Blazing Saddles
The Producers
Hear No Evil, See No Evil
Does Ghostbusters count as a comedy?

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 19:04 - May 1 with 3758 viewsbrogansnose

Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 18:54 - May 1 by WeWereZombies

Tropic Thunder is a good shout, confidently funny enough to dispense with Steve Coogan early on. In a similar vein, Something About Mary is a decent comedy film as is Animal House. Although the top twenty of comedy films should perhaps just be Tati and Coen Brothers films. But then again, there are those madcap Pinewood films from the 60s like A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum...and anything by the Boulting Brothers...

Yep, go along with that Zombie. I'd probably add in some Gene Wilder, early Steve Martin and Mel Brooks.
Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 19:07 - May 1 with 3744 viewsHerbivore

Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 16:32 - May 1 by Darth_Koont

Kingpin

Also has the best performance by an actor in any genre by Bill Murray.

Bill Murray at his finest. Quality film.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 19:16 - May 1 with 3728 viewsFtnfwest

Young Frankenstein
Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 19:44 - May 1 with 3694 viewsWeWereZombies

Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 19:04 - May 1 by brogansnose

Yep, go along with that Zombie. I'd probably add in some Gene Wilder, early Steve Martin and Mel Brooks.

And PJH has weighed in with Clockwise which I considered and went and forgot to mention, Melford and ftfnwest have thrown some Mel Brooks / Gene Wilder in. I should have added Silver Streak to my list. And Steve Martin - how could I forget Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid & The Man With Two Brains?

Also the Barry McKenzie movies.

Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 19:48 - May 1 with 3679 viewsbluelagos

Blues Brothers. Life of Brian. Austin Powers. Airplane.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 19:49 - May 1 with 3671 viewsDubtractor

On the Mel Brooks front I love the film Spaceballs.

i know its not exactly the finest comedy ever made, but it really tickles me.

Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 19:49 - May 1 with 3670 viewsSuperfrans

Young Frankenstein was on TV yesterday and it's an absolute classic. Totally brilliant.

Otherwise...
Groundhog Day
Raising Arizona
Annie Hall
The Jerk
Life Of Brian
Spinal Tap
Anchorman
Shaun Of The Dead
Withnail & I

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 20:03 - May 1 with 3637 viewsJohnhoz

I can't help it, but I love Beverly Hills Cop

Stir Crazy also makes me laugh a lot

I reckon we should sack the manager every time we lose a game
Poll: Right now, why do you go to games

Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 20:24 - May 1 with 3594 viewsThrobbe

Always a difficult genre to get right - what are your favourite comedy movies? on 20:03 - May 1 by Johnhoz

I can't help it, but I love Beverly Hills Cop

Stir Crazy also makes me laugh a lot

In the 90s I was in New York and accidentally got off the subway in Harlem. The Stir Crazy clip sprang to mind.

Most of mine already covered, but I'd definately add Four Lions, and possibly Airheads, but I may be alone on that one.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024