Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next season (bit of a long one!) 12:15 - May 15 with 831 viewsNeverTellMeTheOdds

Now the Championship is starting to take form for next season, looks like its gearing up to be another tough season with a lot of money floating around the league again.

With that in mind I have been looking at the teams and trying to predict what kind of season I think it could be not only for us but for the other teams involved too. The Championship is always unpredictable so anything can happen, but trying to look at it with some kind of logic....

Sunderland (Parachute payments in place, will be looking to bounce straight back up at the first time of asking, big clear out and will be looking to spend-big rebuilding job for Moyes though and could go either way)

Middlesbrough (Parachute payments, if they can make the right managerial appointment then look good to bounce straight back up-possibly even as champions?).

Hull (Parachute payments, if they can keep Silva then again they will be in the top 6 if not even possibly going for the top 2 if they dont lose too many players).

Reading (if they don't go up via the play-offs, I can see them building on this season and being solid again next season, top 10 finish if they don't go up at least).

Sheffield Wednesday (again if they don't go up, will look to spend and push on again next season, top 6 again a real possibility???).

Huddersfield Town (if they don't go up, will they lose Wagner? If they can keep him then fancy them to have another good season and will be looking to spend wisely with a few quality additions-next seasons Brighton???)

Fulham (My favourite's for the play-offs, if they don't go up then can see their team getting picked apart quite easily. Might be a re-building job next season though, top half finish though)

Leeds United (Depending on managerial changes & if the board interfere etc. This could go either way and if they can keep hold of Wood. If they do keep Monk & Wood then would fancy them for another top half finish).

Norwich City (Will be looking to make a managerial appointment this summer and push on next season, should be a top half finish but seems like a re-building season for them).

Derby County (Gary Rowett will keep them stable & very competitive as long as the board give him long enough, sure they will spend again this summer and could be real contenders for a top 6 finish).

Brentford (Will be looking to push on next season, if they can keep their best players then they will be looking to better their 10th position from this season. With Alan Judge back fit & in form then they could be dark horses).

Preston North End (Wont spend massively, if they can keep the likes of Hugill, McGeady etc then they should be ok for at least a top half/mid-table finish, especially with the canny Grayson in charge).

Cardiff City (The Warnock factor, again they wont spend massively as they are trying to cut the wage bill etc. but Warnock will get them up the table and away from danger. Imagine they will be looking for a top half finish but imagine mid-table awaits).

Aston Villa (Likely to spend big again this summer, could be real top 6 contenders next season and with Bruce in charge, he will have them challenging next season).

Barnsley (Likely to lose more of their better players this summer, could be another big re-building job. Imagine a survival/relegation battle could ensue).

Wolverhampton Wanderers (Will they keep Lambert? Any instability could unsettle this Wolves team, much like this season. Likely to want to spend some money and push on for a top 10 finish, think off pitch distractions will put paid to that. Imagine another mid-table season will follow with Lambert leaving at some point during the season, if not before).

Ipswich Town (Another season with Mick in charge, with very little funds unlikely to be available and a big turn over of players, it could be a tough season. Would imagine a mid-table/relegation battle will occur next season with the strength of the Championship).

Bristol City (In desperate need of a managerial change, will also lose the prolific Abraham. Will have funds available though and wont want another relegation battle. If they can change manager, then can see them possibly top half. If they stick with Johnson then I can see Bristol embroiled in another relegation battle).

Queens Park Rangers (Can see Holloway getting sacked next season and another tough season for the R's. Especially if they have to trim the squad/wages then can see a lower/relegation battle for QPR).

Birmingham City (I am sure Arry will spend some money this summer and get them competitive and away from the bottom three, whether he brings in the old guard remains to be seen but I can see them pushing for a top half finish).

Burton Albion (Not likely to spend but will be looking to consolidate their Championship status. Likely to be lower league & possibly dragged into another relegation battle).

Nottingham Forest (Take over this summer, with Warburton & Assombalonga then they will have a chance next season. Expect them to spend and strengthen and will be looking to push on for the top half after a disappointing season).

Sheff Utd (Will be hoping to bring this seasons momentum with them into the Championship. With some shrewd signings and if Billy Sharp can fire in the Championship as he has in League one then the could surprise a few people next season. Predict them flying out the blocks but consolidating in mid-table).

Bolton (Will need to strengthen this summer, not likely to be huge spenders though. Will take all of Phil Parkinsons skill to keep them in the Championship. Can see them lower league and maybe involved in a relegation battle).

Millwall or Bradford (Will be a tough season which ever of these come up IMO, neither likely to spend huge amounts and both could be involved in a long relegation battle).

Top 6 contenders - Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Hull, Sheff Wed, Aston Villa

Top ten/mid-table - Reading, Huddersfield, Fulham, Leeds, Norwich, Brentford, Preston, Cardiff, Wolves, Birmingham, Nottingham Forest, Sheff Utd

Lower league/relegation battle - Barnsley, Ipswich, Bristol City (if Johnson stays in charge?), QPR, Burton, Bolton, Millwall or Bradford.

Tried to be realistic about it and I am sure that others will disagree with me but I think the top six would be a huge ask for us next season. When you look at the teams who are likely to make up the mid-table pack then I wouldn't say we are any worse than them and if Mick can get in the right types of players, keep the majority fit then we could realistically push for a mid-table/top half finish but that will still be a tough ask with the money that is likely to be thrown around this summer and with everyone else looking to push on as well.

I do feel slightly better though seeing the teams that are likely to be involved in the relegation battle that we will have something on those teams at least. Even so, our aspirations shouldn't be just to stay up next season but a top six finish looks well beyond us at present so we could be in for yet another season of Championship football the season after as well.

Like Evans, I am just going to hope that we strike it lucky and everything comes together for us next season as in reality we look like getting well left behind at present.

Poll: Will the new season ticket prices make you renew for the 2017/2018 season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024