Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tonight opened my eyes 21:35 - May 16 with 12258 viewsStokieBlue

I've had an interesting night. I don't want this to become a them versus us rant or one side is better than the other. Both sides have failed.

I graduated the best part of 20 years ago in a vibrant city and tonight I met one of my very best friend's in Nottingham to see what things are like 20 years later.

I'll tell you the place is a wasteland. Blame whoever you like for his but it's crap. Party partisanship has got is to this position. The city is awful, the is no investment and is unrecognisable from the place I knew in the 90's.

I don't think JC tax grab is the way to sort this. Who cares if something is nationalised or not. 100m would sort Nottingham out completely. A tiny amount from their nationalisation budget and I'm sure there are many places just the same

Shoot me and down and insult, that's fine. But tonight opened my eyes an massive nationalisation isn't the way.

Critic all you like, I won't moan.

SB

Edit: In hindsight I think I phrased the above badly. I do think there should be more investment outside of London and Manchester and in my opinion it's something that should come higher on the agenda than nationalisation when the money is distributed. Maybe there will be enough for both but that seems unlikely.

[Post edited 17 May 2017 10:17]

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Tonight opened my eyes on 08:31 - May 17 with 2597 viewsArcher4721

Tonight opened my eyes on 22:04 - May 16 by StokieBlue

I tried to make a non-partisan point and you had to be a fool.

In hindsight I should have worded the OP better.

SB
[Post edited 17 May 2017 10:12]

Blimey.. Calm down love. It's obvious you don't get out of London much and into the real world.
Tonight opened my eyes on 08:37 - May 17 with 2596 viewsDanTheMan

As someone who lives in Nottingham, I'm unsure as to where you went in the city centre that could be described as a "wasteland".

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Tonight opened my eyes on 08:42 - May 17 with 2578 viewslowhouseblue

Tonight opened my eyes on 23:10 - May 16 by BanksterDebtSlave

Is water a public good ?

no water that is supplied through the mains is not a public good.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Tonight opened my eyes on 08:46 - May 17 with 2573 viewshype313

Tonight opened my eyes on 08:20 - May 17 by itfcjoe

Kids sit at home drinking before they go out on their phones doing Snapchats - they don't drink in pubs any more really.

Whether that is cost, or just a change in habits I don't know - I think it is a change in habits where blokes are becoming more metrosexual and like girls so like to spend ages getting ready and trying to look good

Indeed, the 90's was all about binge drinking and people could afford to do so because it was so cheap. The younger generation can't afford to go out like we used to, it's expensive for us who have a decent disposable income, whilst also, as you say they don't need to go out, you can swipe through your phone if you fancy meeting someone rather than stand in some soulless hellhole at 2am on a sunday morning.

I'm sure Ipswich is no different to any other town or city of similar size, trends change, when I used to go out we had Globalnet, Liberty's, Hollywoods, The Attic, Double O, Chicago's, Pals, Bar Extreme. What is about now? Revs?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Tonight opened my eyes on 08:56 - May 17 with 2556 viewsStokieBlue

Tonight opened my eyes on 08:00 - May 17 by gordon

To summarise, you went to Nottingham, it looks awful, so nationalisation and higher taxes are a bad idea. I'd forward that to Tory Party HQ, could be dynamite in the election campaign.

I'd hotfoot it back to Camden/Shoreditch/Stoke Newington and never leave London again to avoid further distress.

Hold on though, except East Kilbride - has some lovely cocktail bars, a great metropolitan vibe, uber-trendy but still popular with the Scottish bankers and lawyers, decent prices, lots of micro-breweries and gastro-pubs, like a min-London without the tourists.
[Post edited 17 May 2017 8:00]

That's not what I said at all but hey ho.

I said I was a bit upset that Nottingham had deteriorated so much and that I felt spending money on regeneration a great town such as that would be better than nationalisation of things like Royal Mail. I think that's a valid opinion to have.

I am sure Nottingham is far from the only place that needs some investment. Ipswich has also suffered from a gradual decline unfortunately.

SB

Tonight opened my eyes on 08:57 - May 17 with 2556 viewsNo9

Tonight opened my eyes on 08:46 - May 17 by hype313

Indeed, the 90's was all about binge drinking and people could afford to do so because it was so cheap. The younger generation can't afford to go out like we used to, it's expensive for us who have a decent disposable income, whilst also, as you say they don't need to go out, you can swipe through your phone if you fancy meeting someone rather than stand in some soulless hellhole at 2am on a sunday morning.

I'm sure Ipswich is no different to any other town or city of similar size, trends change, when I used to go out we had Globalnet, Liberty's, Hollywoods, The Attic, Double O, Chicago's, Pals, Bar Extreme. What is about now? Revs?

It is the lack of disposable income which is going to negatively affect all leasure activities including attending ITFC games at PR
Tonight opened my eyes on 09:00 - May 17 with 2550 viewsStokieBlue

Tonight opened my eyes on 08:37 - May 17 by DanTheMan

As someone who lives in Nottingham, I'm unsure as to where you went in the city centre that could be described as a "wasteland".

I guess it's just very different to how I remember it, it seemed that everything could do with a lot of investment which was is a real shame.

I don't think I've made my point very well in hindsight, I was honestly trying to say that towns such as Nottingham deserve a bigger slice of the investment pie which seems mostly allocated to London and Manchester.

I'll bow out now.

SB
[Post edited 17 May 2017 9:03]

Tonight opened my eyes on 09:00 - May 17 with 2549 viewshype313

Tonight opened my eyes on 08:56 - May 17 by StokieBlue

I said I was a bit upset that Nottingham had deteriorated so much and that I felt spending money on regeneration a great town such as that would be better than nationalisation of things like Royal Mail. I think that's a valid opinion to have.

I am sure Nottingham is far from the only place that needs some investment. Ipswich has also suffered from a gradual decline unfortunately.

SB

I'd argue whilst the nightlife isn't what it was, Ipswich has had far more investment over the past 20 years.

The docks 20 odd years ago had the Malt kiln and shopping trolleys scattered about, and was essentially an area you wouldn't go to unless you had no choice, completey different now.

Login to get fewer ads

Tonight opened my eyes on 09:02 - May 17 with 2541 viewshype313

Tonight opened my eyes on 08:57 - May 17 by No9

It is the lack of disposable income which is going to negatively affect all leasure activities including attending ITFC games at PR

Partly, but the tax on things like booze have affected things, just as peoples social habits have changed.

I'm not sure if pubs and clubs offered £1 a pint deals you would get the numbers of clubs back like there were in the 90's.

Tonight opened my eyes on 09:07 - May 17 with 2530 viewsDanTheMan

Tonight opened my eyes on 09:00 - May 17 by StokieBlue

I guess it's just very different to how I remember it, it seemed that everything could do with a lot of investment which was is a real shame.

I don't think I've made my point very well in hindsight, I was honestly trying to say that towns such as Nottingham deserve a bigger slice of the investment pie which seems mostly allocated to London and Manchester.

I'll bow out now.

SB
[Post edited 17 May 2017 9:03]

I mean, I'm all for investment. Nottingham has a pretty good growth in the tech sector, you've got things outside the centre like NG2 for businesses and Accelerate Places.

I much prefer the centre to Birmingham which is pretty miserable.

Someone mentioned the tram, I think that's actually a really good improvement.

That said I've got no reference to compare it to. Maybe it used to be nicer. I really quite like it, lots of independent pubs and shops around along with the usual chains, good street food, usually stuff going on. There is enough variety in clubs for there to be something for everyone.

There are some places on the outskirts that could do with some investment but I imagine that is true of every place.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Tonight opened my eyes on 09:12 - May 17 with 2517 viewsGromheort

Tonight opened my eyes on 08:56 - May 17 by StokieBlue

SB

Given investment is at the heart of Labour's policies, you didn't actually have a point. "More hanging baskets with pansies" would perhaps have been more effective?
Tonight opened my eyes on 09:14 - May 17 with 2513 viewsNo9

Tonight opened my eyes on 09:02 - May 17 by hype313

Partly, but the tax on things like booze have affected things, just as peoples social habits have changed.

I'm not sure if pubs and clubs offered £1 a pint deals you would get the numbers of clubs back like there were in the 90's.

I am & never have been one for night clubs but I do see the declining affordability of many leasure activities as being a sign that things are getting worse. It os not just night clubs & football matches but places I might want to take my grandchildren.
And country pubs -
I don't know how much the owners think people earn?
Tonight opened my eyes on 09:17 - May 17 with 2507 viewschicoazul

Nottingham is alright. I go there now and then and it's ok and doesnt seem hugely depressed, although it very much relies on 3 or 4 employers like a lot of places. Like every city it's got its problems. I went to Colchester the other day and that too was once what I would call a thriving student town which is now looking a bit tired but I dont blame Students for not going out on the lash anymore given that they have to pay for their education nowadays.

To be fair though Stokie you work and live in London and most places to your eye will look a bit run down.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Tonight opened my eyes on 09:18 - May 17 with 2506 viewsmonytowbray

I think Nottingham is quite a decent place. Buzzing city with a lot of things to do.

What exactly did you feel was worse about it now compared to the 90s?

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Tonight opened my eyes on 09:18 - May 17 with 2506 viewshype313

Tonight opened my eyes on 09:14 - May 17 by No9

I am & never have been one for night clubs but I do see the declining affordability of many leasure activities as being a sign that things are getting worse. It os not just night clubs & football matches but places I might want to take my grandchildren.
And country pubs -
I don't know how much the owners think people earn?

Have a wander down to Cardinal park most weeknights, you can't get a space the restaurants are full, likewise the cinema. So, as much as nightclubs and bars have seen a decline other areas have increased, 20 years ago you wouldn't get a place like Nando's full 7 days a week.

Tonight opened my eyes on 09:20 - May 17 with 2500 viewschicoazul

Tonight opened my eyes on 09:12 - May 17 by Gromheort

Given investment is at the heart of Labour's policies, you didn't actually have a point. "More hanging baskets with pansies" would perhaps have been more effective?

You're a real dry lunch.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Tonight opened my eyes on 09:22 - May 17 with 2497 viewsNo9

Tonight opened my eyes on 09:18 - May 17 by hype313

Have a wander down to Cardinal park most weeknights, you can't get a space the restaurants are full, likewise the cinema. So, as much as nightclubs and bars have seen a decline other areas have increased, 20 years ago you wouldn't get a place like Nando's full 7 days a week.

I don't go into Ipswich that much but when I do I have never seen anywhere even half full apart from the low rent places at Cardinal park on match days.
But they aren't what I would call restuarants more like cheap eating houses with low quality food.
Sorry if that sounds s a bit snobby
Tonight opened my eyes on 09:24 - May 17 with 2495 viewschicoazul

Tonight opened my eyes on 09:18 - May 17 by hype313

People seem to spend their cash on food and coffee not booze and illegal drugs nowadays. Which might be why so many places seem the same nowadays with a Nandos a Carluccios a Costa and a Starbucks.

Tonight opened my eyes on 09:24 - May 17 with 2494 viewshype313

Tonight opened my eyes on 09:22 - May 17 by No9

I don't go into Ipswich that much but when I do I have never seen anywhere even half full apart from the low rent places at Cardinal park on match days.
But they aren't what I would call restuarants more like cheap eating houses with low quality food.
Sorry if that sounds s a bit snobby

Not at all, the point I'm making is that if peoples disposable incomes have declined then why are places like that heaving every night? they might not be gourmet meals, there not, but £15 for essentially chicken and chips isn't what I'd call a cheap eating house.

Tonight opened my eyes on 09:28 - May 17 with 2486 viewsblue_oyster

I went to Nottingham a couple of years ago for a night out, and it didn't seem to stand out from most cities and towns in the country, which have all shared the same moral decay for a long time, certainly since Thatcherism.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Tonight opened my eyes on 09:32 - May 17 with 2476 viewsNo9

Tonight opened my eyes on 09:24 - May 17 by hype313

Not at all, the point I'm making is that if peoples disposable incomes have declined then why are places like that heaving every night? they might not be gourmet meals, there not, but £15 for essentially chicken and chips isn't what I'd call a cheap eating house.

Well to be candid, £15 for what they serve up is very expensive
It proves my point, the quality restaurants are closing and the low quality places do well because people can't afford to eat well.
Tonight opened my eyes on 09:38 - May 17 with 2457 viewsgiant_stow

Tonight opened my eyes on 09:12 - May 17 by Gromheort

Surely you're bright enough not to have to misrepresent Stokie's point to make yours?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Tonight opened my eyes on 09:40 - May 17 with 2447 viewsGromheort

Tonight opened my eyes on 09:38 - May 17 by giant_stow

Surely you're bright enough not to have to misrepresent Stokie's point to make yours?

Misrepresented? He refers to investment himself. I've just noted that is the core component of Labour's proposals
Tonight opened my eyes on 09:41 - May 17 with 2437 viewshype313

Tonight opened my eyes on 09:32 - May 17 by No9

Well to be candid, £15 for what they serve up is very expensive
It proves my point, the quality restaurants are closing and the low quality places do well because people can't afford to eat well.

Proves what point? I'm a little lost, you said that disposable incomes have declined which is why lots of leisure activites have declined, I said they haven't it's just peoples habits have changed.

Quality restaurants aren't closing though are they? In fact they are growing, I don't know any quality restaurants in the 30 mile radius of Ipswich that have closed?

Tonight opened my eyes on 09:43 - May 17 with 2427 viewsNo9

Tonight opened my eyes on 09:41 - May 17 by hype313

Proves what point? I'm a little lost, you said that disposable incomes have declined which is why lots of leisure activites have declined, I said they haven't it's just peoples habits have changed.

Quality restaurants aren't closing though are they? In fact they are growing, I don't know any quality restaurants in the 30 mile radius of Ipswich that have closed?

Are there any quality restuarants - where, I haven't found any.
East Anglai is a culinary desert
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024