Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? 11:12 - May 23 with 6230 viewsBergholtBru

Well, it`s amazing what people will do when they believe God is on their side!

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 11:21 - May 23 with 3464 viewsGuthrum

Yes, they also found hospitals and charities. And atheist Marxist terrorists used to commit atrocities when they thought they had history on their side.

Religion is less of the issue than extremist positions in general.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 11:25 - May 23 with 3424 viewsKievthegreat

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 11:21 - May 23 by Guthrum

Yes, they also found hospitals and charities. And atheist Marxist terrorists used to commit atrocities when they thought they had history on their side.

The far right and 'religious' extremists are 2 cheeks of the same Ar5e.
Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 11:52 - May 23 with 3358 viewsGromheort

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 11:21 - May 23 by Guthrum

Political motivated groups though are easier to control, given they are easier to infiltrate. I suppose the issue with religious terrorism are the reasons behind it growth. To some extent, it will be about power asymmetries and therefore the perceived rationality in supporting non-traditional conflict. Foreign policy then is key. However, it will also reflect historical aspects (such as Daesh and the caliphate). That shouldn't be consistent with islamophobia mind you, given the majority of victims are muslim.
Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 11:57 - May 23 with 3337 viewsMJallday

bbc just said theyve arrested someone in connection with last night

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 11:58 - May 23 with 3335 viewshomer_123

Surely isn't more to do with the fact that it's sod all to do with religion and more to do with human nature and the desire for power and control.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:04 - May 23 with 3309 viewsBergholtBru

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 11:58 - May 23 by homer_123

Surely isn't more to do with the fact that it's sod all to do with religion and more to do with human nature and the desire for power and control.

It isn`t human nature to blow yourself up. Unless you believe that something good is going to happen to you afterwards.

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:05 - May 23 with 3302 viewshomer_123

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:04 - May 23 by BergholtBru

It isn`t human nature to blow yourself up. Unless you believe that something good is going to happen to you afterwards.

Our desire to have power and control means that things like religion are used to brain wash others into doing such things.....it is absolutely to do with our human nature...sadly.

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:05 - May 23 with 3300 viewsDarth_Koont

Or culture or race or ideology or anything else you care to mention on their side.

Extremism flourishes when people are ignorant and unable/unwilling to see situations from other people's perspectives.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:15 - May 23 with 3230 viewsGromheort

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:05 - May 23 by homer_123

Our desire to have power and control means that things like religion are used to brain wash others into doing such things.....it is absolutely to do with our human nature...sadly.

I think we have to be careful in overplaying the brainwashing card. I'm sure it happens, but evidence from the Israel/Palestine problems has shown that support for terrorism doesn't necessarily fall with education.
Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:23 - May 23 with 3169 viewssparks

I can't agree. Marxist terrorists did not do things because of atheist beliefs. Religious terrorism is however driven by the underlying beliefs whether in whole or part.

The fervent belief that something is God's will can overcome anything in the way of social or psychological limiters, given the right circumstances.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:23 - May 23 with 3165 viewslegoman

Disagree. Terrorist losers do not believe in god but they prey on believers to carry out their perverse acts because they are weakened by their belief imo.
[Post edited 23 May 2017 12:25]

Poll: Sheepshanks 5 years -v- Evans 5 points

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:28 - May 23 with 3135 viewsDarth_Koont

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:23 - May 23 by legoman

Disagree. Terrorist losers do not believe in god but they prey on believers to carry out their perverse acts because they are weakened by their belief imo.
[Post edited 23 May 2017 12:25]

Actually, they tend to do best with non-believers who are disenfranchised who they convert at a late stage into dangerous zealots.

There doesn't seem to be much of a link between devout believers and terrorism. Not when it comes to the home-grown terrorists we're seeing in the West, and seemingly many of the combatants in the Middle East too from what I gather.

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:38 - May 23 with 3083 viewsgiant_stow

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:23 - May 23 by sparks

I can't agree. Marxist terrorists did not do things because of atheist beliefs. Religious terrorism is however driven by the underlying beliefs whether in whole or part.

The fervent belief that something is God's will can overcome anything in the way of social or psychological limiters, given the right circumstances.

"Marxist terrorists did not do things because of atheist beliefs. "

Guthram didn't say that - he said they might commit atrocities because they believed they had history on their side. People don't need religion as an excuse to do terrible things - anything will do: power, politics, money. you know that.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:40 - May 23 with 3069 viewsDanTheMan

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:28 - May 23 by Darth_Koont

Actually, they tend to do best with non-believers who are disenfranchised who they convert at a late stage into dangerous zealots.

There doesn't seem to be much of a link between devout believers and terrorism. Not when it comes to the home-grown terrorists we're seeing in the West, and seemingly many of the combatants in the Middle East too from what I gather.

There was a murder in the USA the other day when a Neo-Nazi converted to Islam and then murdered his two Neo-Nazi flatmates for insulting his religion.

Whilst investigating the murder, police then found another flatmate was making a bomb. Weird stuff.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:41 - May 23 with 3059 viewsGuthrum

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:23 - May 23 by sparks

I wasn't saying they did it because of their atheism (I know some pretty militant atheists, but none of them that kind of extreme), more that religion is not the only driver of terrorism. Political beliefs can be just as potent.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:46 - May 23 with 3023 viewsGlasgowBlue

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:40 - May 23 by DanTheMan

There was a murder in the USA the other day when a Neo-Nazi converted to Islam and then murdered his two Neo-Nazi flatmates for insulting his religion.

Whilst investigating the murder, police then found another flatmate was making a bomb. Weird stuff.

That's a fcuked up flat share.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:46 - May 23 with 3028 viewsSteve_M

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 11:58 - May 23 by homer_123

It isn't sod all to do with religion unfortunately. Religion is very much par t of the motivation, or rather one particular interpretation of Islam.

Others are attracted by feelings of belonging to something and the reasons you mentioned but discounting religion is as incorrect as blaming all Muslims.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:46 - May 23 with 3018 viewsDarth_Koont

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:40 - May 23 by DanTheMan

Crazy, but nevertheless sounds about right. We're talking about predominantly young men who are struggling with their identity and place in the world. For them the passion, drama and sense of belonging is far more important than the creed.

As someone said in another thread, far-right extremism and western terrorism are two cheeks of the same @rse.

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:47 - May 23 with 3015 viewsDoobDude

I don't think they are that aware of god.
They are just nutjobs, possibly suicidal anyway who ISIS manipulate.

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? What do you mean? An African or European swallow? Huh? I... I don't know that ... Auuuuuuuugh.
Poll: Whi is getting sold to fund the Webster Signing

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:50 - May 23 with 2983 viewslowhouseblue

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:46 - May 23 by Darth_Koont

Crazy, but nevertheless sounds about right. We're talking about predominantly young men who are struggling with their identity and place in the world. For them the passion, drama and sense of belonging is far more important than the creed.

As someone said in another thread, far-right extremism and western terrorism are two cheeks of the same @rse.

someone posted a very good article a couple of months ago about the characteristics of those in the west who have been radicalised and committed terrorists attacks. it was based on data from belgium and france I think. it was very good and reinforces what you say - but I can't find it now.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:51 - May 23 with 2981 viewsgiant_stow

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:46 - May 23 by Steve_M

It isn't sod all to do with religion unfortunately. Religion is very much par t of the motivation, or rather one particular interpretation of Islam.

Others are attracted by feelings of belonging to something and the reasons you mentioned but discounting religion is as incorrect as blaming all Muslims.

It depends on what you define as a religion. Personally, I wouldn't call ISIS truly religious - they've twisted Islam out of all recognition. Although I accept they would disagree.
[Post edited 23 May 2017 23:04]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:51 - May 23 with 2976 viewshomer_123

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:46 - May 23 by Steve_M

Whether it's religion, political idealism or something else - the driver behind it all is control and power.

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:52 - May 23 with 2961 viewsGromheort

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:47 - May 23 by DoobDude

I don't think they are that aware of god.
They are just nutjobs, possibly suicidal anyway who ISIS manipulate.

I certainly struggle with any form of fundamentalist religion (and we mustn't forget that fundamentalist typically doesn't mean terrorist). However, its wrong to go down the 'they're just loons' front. Its only by understanding the rationality behind their terrible crimes that we can maximise the effectiveness of counter-terrorism.
Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:54 - May 23 with 2944 viewsMJallday

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:51 - May 23 by homer_123

Whether it's religion, political idealism or something else - the driver behind it all is control and power.

IS now claiming responsibility

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:56 - May 23 with 2926 viewsDanTheMan

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:46 - May 23 by Darth_Koont

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-student-devon-arthurs-murder

In case anyone is interested.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024