Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is Mick giving youngsters enough game time? 12:59 - May 25 with 18808 viewsitfcjoe

I hear all this talk about Mick not giving youngsters a chance, and it seems too many posters aren't looking at the league as a whole. So I have tried to....

All stats are minutes on the pitch in the league only, and all ages are at today's date

U20 players
Barnsley - 6,750 minutes (5,063 by loanees)
Nottingham Forest - 5,185 minutes
Bristol City - 3,844 minutes (3,425 by loanees)
Birmingham - 3,680 minutes (1,007 by loanees)
Huddersfield - 3,513 minutes (2,310 by loanees)
Ipswich - 3,399 minutes

So only 5 clubs have players U20 getting more game time than at Portman Road, and only 1 club (Forest) has more game time given to U20 players that aren't on loan at the club.

Players aged 21-22
Preston North End - 8,412 minutes (682 by loanees)
Forest - 8,129 minutes (1,649 by loanees)
Reading - 6,811 minutes
Leeds - 5,854 minutes (1,284 by loanees)
Ipswich - 5,465 minutes (295 by loanees)

So only 4 teams have given more minutes to 21 and 22 year olds, and if you take loan players out of it we move to 4th

Overall - all players U22
Forest - 13,314 minutes (1,649 by loanees)
Barnsley - 10,573 minutes (7,201 by loanees)
Ipswich - 8,864 minutes (295 by loanees)

So overall only 2 clubs are given youngsters more game time than us, and 1 of them is mostly using loanees.

The reality is that Notingham Forest are the only side who are getting more minutes out of young players than we are at all ages, when you take out loan players - other than them we are right up there in every category.

For the purpose of this exercise our young players are Dozzell, Emmanuel, Kenlock, Bishop (U20) and Grant, Digby, Webster and Ward (U22) - so a mixture of academy products and signings, but most importantly nearly all of them are tied down for at tleast the next couple of years.

Mick has many faults, but the stats show it is unfair to accuse him of not giving youngsters game time.

[Post edited 25 May 2017 13:02]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Is Mick giving youngsters enough game time? on 11:18 - May 28 with 1059 viewsunstableblue

Is Mick giving youngsters enough game time? on 09:30 - May 28 by itfcjoe

As you may have guessed I'd had a few....!

What I was trying to say that this thread was purely about youngsters, if one of your issues isn't about him bringing them through and playing them then you agree with the OP.

We all know he's not likely to be the answer here, and that the footy is terrible at times.

No worries, I did sense your sentence construction had been hampered by captain booze!

Your stats still look positive with Ward and Webster removed, so your underlying message holds.

With regard: "We all know he's not likely to be the answer here, and that the footy is terrible at times." I think he's lost the majority of the fan base, he lost me because for every Leeds, Norwich or Newcastle game they'd be 5 really poor footballing affairs where the simple basics seemed to have gone out the window. I've convinced myself not to return due to that frustration of going to then be horribly disappointed.

BUT, its not completely beyond the realms of possibility that Marcus will fund 2 of the 4 big(ger) signings he needs, he gets the midfield 3/4 clicking a la Leeds and Newcastle and we go on a run, with confidence a quarter of the battle (alongside system, squad, and energy) and who knows from there!!! I'd personally welcome the eating of my own words.

Enjoy the sun.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Is Mick giving youngsters enough game time? on 09:20 - May 30 with 993 viewsitfcjoe

Is Mick giving youngsters enough game time? on 11:18 - May 28 by unstableblue

No worries, I did sense your sentence construction had been hampered by captain booze!

Your stats still look positive with Ward and Webster removed, so your underlying message holds.

With regard: "We all know he's not likely to be the answer here, and that the footy is terrible at times." I think he's lost the majority of the fan base, he lost me because for every Leeds, Norwich or Newcastle game they'd be 5 really poor footballing affairs where the simple basics seemed to have gone out the window. I've convinced myself not to return due to that frustration of going to then be horribly disappointed.

BUT, its not completely beyond the realms of possibility that Marcus will fund 2 of the 4 big(ger) signings he needs, he gets the midfield 3/4 clicking a la Leeds and Newcastle and we go on a run, with confidence a quarter of the battle (alongside system, squad, and energy) and who knows from there!!! I'd personally welcome the eating of my own words.

Enjoy the sun.

For all Mick's faults, he has managed to keep a decent squad here on a comparatively low budget in this league with his collection of waifs and strays. He's managed to keep fees rolling into Evans coffers every now and again too which must keep him in favour.

He just needs to be a bit braver, to try and beat teams more often than setting up to cancel them out and being happy to.

Mick could turn it around, as we aren't a million miles off, but it's going to be very difficult with the crowd against him and ready to turn if we start badly. Evans' biggest mistake has been not been backing Mick more to ensure it didn't get to this between the crowd and him as he is the perfect manager for a hands off owner who is only willing to fund to the level he is doing
[Post edited 30 May 2017 9:20]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024