Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
She's a liar, liar, liar 02:48 - Jun 8 with 10432 viewscaught-in-limbo

Theresa May and the real reason for calling an early election.

In 2013 The House of Commons voted against Britain's military intervention in Syria.

Since that time, the Conservatives have been chomping at the bit to topple Assad in Syria under the guises of fighting ISIS. However, it would be impossible to put British troops on the ground without parliamentary approval, unless...

Parliament was suspended prior to an election, in which case the PM could act alone without a vote in the HoC.

Britain has now invaded Syria

In July 2015 Theresa May "declined to rule out ground forces... stressing that the debate was over extending airstrikes and parliamentary approval would be needed for such a move."

Quotes from The Times June 7 (today):
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sas-help-launch-dawn-assault-as-final-push-on

"Syrian militias backed by American and British special forces last night entered Raqqa, the de facto capital of Islamic State’s self-declared caliphate."

"SAS soldiers, who have been working with the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in northern Syria, are understood to be on the ground in a supporting role. RAF Typhoon and Tornado jets and Reaper drones are also in close support as part of the US-led coalition."

"Forces of the Assad regime were also moving in, triggering a confrontation with Western troops. The Pentagon said the US-led coalition had struck regime forces yesterday after they approached a base near the town of Tanf".

Well done Theresa May, you've skilfully avoid the parliamentary process and got Britain into a war in the Middle East.

Thanks.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2017 2:49]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

She's a liar, liar, liar on 10:29 - Jun 8 with 4454 viewsSwansea_Blue

She's a liar, liar, liar on 10:01 - Jun 8 by Guthrum

In a supporting role (training and advisory, perhaps observation and air target designation) is not ground combat operations (missions involving actual shooting at the enemy).

"Operations" are specific missions, not just being in a war zone.

I understand what you're saying, but this report refers to a specific operation in which we are actively engaged. This is a combat operation and our troops are on the ground supporting that operation. They're not non-combat troops engaged in training, or peacekeeping or other non-combat activities. If they were I'd be in agreement as that would be a different matter.

Anyway we'll go round in circles on this

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

She's a liar, liar, liar on 10:29 - Jun 8 with 4450 viewslowhouseblue

"Britain has now invaded Syria"

when you get over excited you really do post some nonsense.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

She's a liar, liar, liar on 10:32 - Jun 8 with 4443 viewscaught-in-limbo

She's a liar, liar, liar on 10:28 - Jun 8 by Guthrum

You say that, but it's the kind of distinction which is made by all governments, everywhere.

True, but it's still an unverified claim everywhere and in every language.

#toxic

She's a liar, liar, liar on 10:36 - Jun 8 with 4426 viewsGlasgowBlue

She's a liar, liar, liar on 10:13 - Jun 8 by Yaffle

...as is your sarcasm.

At this stage your point doesn't really add to the discussion, does it? I guess my question is, why was a grown man so quick to jump in a throw conspiracy theory insults at someone who was making a perfectly reasonable and considered point worthy of discussion?

Bless. I seem to have found a new fanboy. Are you standing in whilst Archer is on his holidays?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

She's a liar, liar, liar on 10:37 - Jun 8 with 4427 viewscaught-in-limbo

She's a liar, liar, liar on 10:29 - Jun 8 by lowhouseblue

Newspaper for brains.

#toxic

She's a liar, liar, liar on 10:41 - Jun 8 with 4414 viewsGuthrum

She's a liar, liar, liar on 10:29 - Jun 8 by Swansea_Blue

I understand what you're saying, but this report refers to a specific operation in which we are actively engaged. This is a combat operation and our troops are on the ground supporting that operation. They're not non-combat troops engaged in training, or peacekeeping or other non-combat activities. If they were I'd be in agreement as that would be a different matter.

Anyway we'll go round in circles on this

At Raqqa, Kurdish/SDF units are doing the actual fighting, advancing into the city. If 'in a supporting role', the SAS may be running liaison with the air support, giving advice on tactics and so on, but will not be directly engaging the enemy with their weapons or assaulting IS positions (which would be ground combat). That is the distinction.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

She's a liar, liar, liar on 10:42 - Jun 8 with 4411 viewsm14_blue

She's a liar, liar, liar on 10:36 - Jun 8 by GlasgowBlue

Bless. I seem to have found a new fanboy. Are you standing in whilst Archer is on his holidays?

Is the new avatar just for today?

I'm finding it very confusing because I keep thinking it's VT posting.

I think I might be a bit simple actually.
She's a liar, liar, liar on 10:42 - Jun 8 with 4409 viewsconnorscontract

She's a liar, liar, liar on 09:32 - Jun 8 by Guthrum

There is a key phrase in there: 'ground combat operations'.

If you have SAS teams involved in training, observation, intelligence gathering and target designation for air raids (all being standard special forces roles), but not actual fighting, then the letter of the motion has been adhered to.

Hmmm, and if they are engaged by armed enemy troops? They would shoot back, and thus be involved in "ground combat operations".

Or, perish the thought, say a helicopter is shot down? Any rescue plan would involve engagement.

It's hearsay at the moment, mind, as the Govt never comment on SAS operations.
Login to get fewer ads

She's a liar, liar, liar on 10:44 - Jun 8 with 4406 viewsGuthrum

She's a liar, liar, liar on 10:22 - Jun 8 by caught-in-limbo

semantics - lol

You yourself said just 3 days ago "Doubt we'll be bombing Assad any time soon". How wrong you were.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2017 10:28]

When have the UK bombed Assad?

The US may have, that's Trump's problem, but we haven't.

She's a liar, liar, liar on 10:47 - Jun 8 with 4399 viewsGuthrum

She's a liar, liar, liar on 10:42 - Jun 8 by connorscontract

Hmmm, and if they are engaged by armed enemy troops? They would shoot back, and thus be involved in "ground combat operations".

Or, perish the thought, say a helicopter is shot down? Any rescue plan would involve engagement.

It's hearsay at the moment, mind, as the Govt never comment on SAS operations.

That's self defence, not being involved in ground combat operations.

And the helibourne ops are being done by the Americans.

She's a liar, liar, liar on 10:49 - Jun 8 with 4397 viewscaught-in-limbo

She's a liar, liar, liar on 10:44 - Jun 8 by Guthrum

Our elite forces are part of the US-led coalition. "We" are attacking the Assad Government under the pretences of fighting ISIS.

#toxic

She's a liar, liar, liar on 10:51 - Jun 8 with 4391 viewsblue_oyster

Bizarre to suggest it's anything to do with the election, we've had forces there way before that.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

She's a liar, liar, liar on 10:53 - Jun 8 with 4383 viewsconnorscontract

She's a liar, liar, liar on 10:47 - Jun 8 by Guthrum

That's self defence, not being involved in ground combat operations.

And the helibourne ops are being done by the Americans.

Blimey. I hope the MP's all know that these distinctions are made, and that, having clearly voted down ground combat operations they didn't rule out armed British forces physically on the ground, pointing lasers at targets and then shooting dead anyone who threatens their safe exit.

Not a snipe at you, but at the semantic principle which you are clarifying.

Probably best I don't post something flippant about US heliborne ops.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2017 11:18]
She's a liar, liar, liar on 10:59 - Jun 8 with 4374 viewsSwansea_Blue

She's a liar, liar, liar on 10:41 - Jun 8 by Guthrum

At Raqqa, Kurdish/SDF units are doing the actual fighting, advancing into the city. If 'in a supporting role', the SAS may be running liaison with the air support, giving advice on tactics and so on, but will not be directly engaging the enemy with their weapons or assaulting IS positions (which would be ground combat). That is the distinction.

If that's what they're doing I don't disagree that you're probably right. Although I've still got a problem with distinction between combat and noncombat in those terms, as the direct supporting roles are essential to the combat mission. The focus should be on the activity, not whether they actually pull a trigger themselves imo.

They've been given a green light to kill people over there in other situations. - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/sas-special-forces-hit-list-

"The SAS have their own part of the plan and they will be going after British nationals. This is a kill or capture mission and it has already begun." Presumably this type of scenario wouldn't be classed as a combat operation then if we're upholding the terms of parliament's motion?

To me it looks very much like obfuscation in order to give the government a green light to ignore the ruling of parliament. it's certainly not clear.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

She's a liar, liar, liar on 11:00 - Jun 8 with 4373 viewscaught-in-limbo

She's a liar, liar, liar on 10:51 - Jun 8 by blue_oyster

Bizarre to suggest it's anything to do with the election, we've had forces there way before that.

In fact we've had special forces there since 2011. Of course, when I pointed that out 6 years ago, it was the words of a raving conspiracy theorist.

#toxic

She's a liar, liar, liar on 11:02 - Jun 8 with 4371 viewsBluesquid

A friend in need is a friend indeed!

"Saudi Arabia has called on Bashar al-Assad to give up power or be removed by force..."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/30/saudi-arabia-warns-there-is-no-fut
She's a liar, liar, liar on 11:05 - Jun 8 with 4358 viewslowhouseblue

She's a liar, liar, liar on 10:37 - Jun 8 by caught-in-limbo

Newspaper for brains.

still better than infowars for brains.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

She's a liar, liar, liar on 11:20 - Jun 8 with 4337 viewsBluesquid

She's a liar, liar, liar on 10:44 - Jun 8 by Guthrum

"The UK took part in a recent coalition air strike in Syria that killed dozens of government troops fighting the so-called Islamic State, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) has confirmed."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-37409236
She's a liar, liar, liar on 11:32 - Jun 8 with 4317 viewscaught-in-limbo

She's a liar, liar, liar on 11:05 - Jun 8 by lowhouseblue

still better than infowars for brains.

If I posted anything from Infowars, J2 would be the first to point it out to the world.

I haven't visited the Infowars website for at least 5 years.

Try again.

#toxic

She's a liar, liar, liar on 11:34 - Jun 8 with 4306 viewscaught-in-limbo

She's a liar, liar, liar on 11:20 - Jun 8 by Bluesquid

"The UK took part in a recent coalition air strike in Syria that killed dozens of government troops fighting the so-called Islamic State, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) has confirmed."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-37409236

missprint?

fake news?

#toxic

She's a liar, liar, liar on 11:41 - Jun 8 with 4290 viewsblue_oyster

She's a liar, liar, liar on 11:00 - Jun 8 by caught-in-limbo

In fact we've had special forces there since 2011. Of course, when I pointed that out 6 years ago, it was the words of a raving conspiracy theorist.

Indeed. So what's all the nonsense about the election then?

She's a liar, liar, liar on 12:01 - Jun 8 with 4265 viewscaught-in-limbo

She's a liar, liar, liar on 11:41 - Jun 8 by blue_oyster

Indeed. So what's all the nonsense about the election then?

Now the establishment media are reporting it, which means it's not a conspiracy anymore.

#toxic

She's a liar, liar, liar on 12:11 - Jun 8 with 4245 viewsblue_oyster

She's a liar, liar, liar on 12:01 - Jun 8 by caught-in-limbo

Now the establishment media are reporting it, which means it's not a conspiracy anymore.

It's a shame you have to use untrue statements to make other points.

She's a liar, liar, liar on 13:53 - Jun 8 with 4212 viewsRyorry

She's a liar, liar, liar on 10:29 - Jun 8 by lowhouseblue

As you know, I rarely agree with CIL, but for me she's written & generated a really useful and interesting post/thread here.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

She's a liar, liar, liar on 13:57 - Jun 8 with 4199 viewslowhouseblue

She's a liar, liar, liar on 13:53 - Jun 8 by Ryorry

As you know, I rarely agree with CIL, but for me she's written & generated a really useful and interesting post/thread here.

you think that Britain has invaded syria?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024