Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It's funny how quickly... 16:29 - Sep 13 with 40306 viewschicoazul

...opinions held by many people historically have suddenly become so controversial.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-41254493

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

It's funny how quickly... on 00:58 - Sep 15 with 5180 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

It's funny how quickly... on 00:04 - Sep 15 by jeera

It's all just too much eh?

Can't sleep

Maybe I should read the bible to learn or something

Edit - Maybe sh1te was a tad far
[Post edited 15 Sep 2017 1:30]

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

on 01:06 - Sep 15 with 5173 views_

It's funny how quickly... on 00:58 - Sep 15 by The_Romford_Blue

Can't sleep

It's funny how quickly... on 01:16 - Sep 15 with 5164 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

on 01:06 - Sep 15 by _

Is Phil paying you for your round the clock monitoring service?

Don't let him get away with less than £20 per hour is my advice
on 01:21 - Sep 15 with 5158 views_

It's funny how quickly... on 01:16 - Sep 15 by FrowsyArmLarry

Is Phil paying you for your round the clock monitoring service?

Don't let him get away with less than £20 per hour is my advice

It's funny how quickly... on 01:22 - Sep 15 with 5153 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

on 01:21 - Sep 15 by _

I was kidding you
It's funny how quickly... on 01:30 - Sep 15 with 5139 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

on 01:06 - Sep 15 by _

Fair point

Edited

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

It's funny how quickly... on 01:46 - Sep 15 with 5128 viewsjeera

It's funny how quickly... on 01:30 - Sep 15 by The_Romford_Blue

Fair point

Edited

Well if you can't sleep...

Have a read around:

This bit, (from Wiki), " Ishmael is recognized as an important prophet and patriarch of Islam. Muslims believe that Ishmael was the firstborn of Abraham, born to him from his second wife Hagar. ... Muslims also believe that Muhammad was the descendant of Ishmael that would establish a great nation, as promised by God in the Old Testament."

Look: See Ishmael, (there on the right hand side, below his mother).

[Post edited 15 Sep 2017 1:54]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

It's funny how quickly... on 06:35 - Sep 15 with 5088 viewsGlasgowBlue

It's funny how quickly... on 23:06 - Sep 14 by The_Romford_Blue

Surely not?

I don't believe you

Edit - FÃœCKING HELL, GOOGLE SAYS THE SAME!

My mind is actually blown.

[Post edited 14 Sep 2017 23:07]

Jesus wept!

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

It's funny how quickly... on 06:50 - Sep 15 with 5078 viewsBenters

It's funny how quickly... on 06:35 - Sep 15 by GlasgowBlue

Jesus wept!

erm

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

It's funny how quickly... on 07:13 - Sep 15 with 5068 viewsGlasgowBlue

It's funny how quickly... on 06:50 - Sep 15 by Benters

erm

Each day that passes I'm more convinced that Rommers is Blueas'
'greatest comedy creation.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

It's funny how quickly... on 07:44 - Sep 15 with 5049 viewsVic

on 22:39 - Sep 14 by _

Indeed, and I'm not saying anyone should be forced to live a lie. What I'm saying is that the drive for gender fluidity to be taught and encouraged for all is an experiment that, I believe, will do harm. Children are left confused and asking questions when they need not be. The vast, vast majority have a body that matches their gender - so why encourage them to question it? Why not just be a bit more open and aware for the minority. Truth is the jury is still out as it will take years for the consequences of this to come through.

Clapham point about mental health being more talked about now is true. But the stress and pressure children are under from all sorts of things most very definitely is new - go check out the figures for the rise in self harm in children if you are in any doubt.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

It's funny how quickly... on 07:55 - Sep 15 with 5037 viewsgordon

It's funny how quickly... on 07:44 - Sep 15 by Vic

Indeed, and I'm not saying anyone should be forced to live a lie. What I'm saying is that the drive for gender fluidity to be taught and encouraged for all is an experiment that, I believe, will do harm. Children are left confused and asking questions when they need not be. The vast, vast majority have a body that matches their gender - so why encourage them to question it? Why not just be a bit more open and aware for the minority. Truth is the jury is still out as it will take years for the consequences of this to come through.

Clapham point about mental health being more talked about now is true. But the stress and pressure children are under from all sorts of things most very definitely is new - go check out the figures for the rise in self harm in children if you are in any doubt.

Wasn't that more or less the reactionary response when schools started teaching people that it was OK to be gay?
It's funny how quickly... on 07:56 - Sep 15 with 5034 viewsHerbivore

Who is encouraging all children to question their gender?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

on 07:57 - Sep 15 with 5033 views_

It's funny how quickly... on 08:00 - Sep 15 with 5025 viewsHerbivore

It's funny how quickly... on 07:55 - Sep 15 by gordon

Wasn't that more or less the reactionary response when schools started teaching people that it was OK to be gay?

Right wingers always equate teaching tolerance of difference with actively encouraging behaviour they view as deviant. It's very strange.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

It's funny how quickly... on 08:00 - Sep 15 with 5025 viewsgordon

It's funny how quickly... on 07:56 - Sep 15 by Herbivore

Who is encouraging all children to question their gender?

The Godless heathens, I think. Or 'the left'. Or is it the liberals. Or the Guardianistas. Blue Oyster will know. Where is he/she/it.
It's funny how quickly... on 08:04 - Sep 15 with 5018 viewsgordon

I keep re-reading this, and it makes less sense every time. You've definitely won the TWTD Most non-sequiturs in a Friday Post Prize.
It's funny how quickly... on 08:07 - Sep 15 with 5012 viewsBluebell

It's funny how quickly... on 07:13 - Sep 15 by GlasgowBlue

Each day that passes I'm more convinced that Rommers is Blueas'
'greatest comedy creation.

Blueas was intelligent!
[Post edited 15 Sep 2017 8:08]
It's funny how quickly... on 08:09 - Sep 15 with 5005 viewsTLA

It's funny how quickly... on 22:31 - Sep 14 by Vic

Will you please stop quoting facts that contradict opinions!

I can't help but wonder when the penny will drop that the social liberalisation, the removal of accepted norms and the current experiment with gender fluidity actually open the door for more harm than good. For all our modern opinions people's health (mental and physical) is less stable now than years ago when things were more stable. The amount of children mental health problems is truly alarming - but hey, lets keep taking away structures and norms that give stability.

'For all our modern opinions people's health (mental and physical) is less stable now than years ago when things were more stable.'

I've done quite a lot of work around young people's mental health and it would be hard not to agree that a degree of structure and stability is important for young people to flourish. However, countries such as Denmark, Finland and Norway have some of the most positive mental health in the world, whilst the UK and US have some of the poorest.

It seems to be social and financial inequality that is the biggest reason for mental health crises, rather than people having less structure and less liberal thinking.
It's funny how quickly... on 08:40 - Sep 15 with 4983 viewsVic

on 07:57 - Sep 15 by _

"I can assure you" - is based on what Libby?

'In your experience the majority are non plussed ...' not doubting that but so that has some weight in the discussion, what is your experience?

And for clarification I'm not connecting gender fluidity with the rise in self harm - it's too early to make that connection yet. I'm simply drawing attention to the rise in children's with mental health problems. It's well documented and from my own involvement with local primary schools I know there is a huge rise. The reasons are many, but one of the things that stand out are the number who come from one parent families. Not saying why that is, and making no judgements, it's just how it is. Have a look at Pupil premium stats if you want to know more.

It's funny how quickly... on 08:43 - Sep 15 with 4979 viewslowhouseblue

It's funny how quickly... on 08:09 - Sep 15 by TLA

'For all our modern opinions people's health (mental and physical) is less stable now than years ago when things were more stable.'

I've done quite a lot of work around young people's mental health and it would be hard not to agree that a degree of structure and stability is important for young people to flourish. However, countries such as Denmark, Finland and Norway have some of the most positive mental health in the world, whilst the UK and US have some of the poorest.

It seems to be social and financial inequality that is the biggest reason for mental health crises, rather than people having less structure and less liberal thinking.

financial inequality has been stable since the end of the 80s - at times it has fallen - so that isn't going to work as an explanation. lack of social cohesion may be a better explanation - unstable family and community structures. 'mental health' has also become a much broader concept than it used to be. more things are labelled a 'mental health' issue and are medicalised and there is much more self-diagnosis using these terms. in the use of language we have lost some of the contrast between less serious problems and very serious problems. it is very good that we are now more aware, and open and pro-active in terms of serious mental health problems. but at a low level, led by social media, the 'mental health' label is applied much more widely and less precisely than in the past. school education has become much less good at promoting independence and resilience and as a result a wider range of fairly normal life adjustments are being given a mental health label when in the past they wouldn't necessarily have been conceptualised in those terms.

** none of this is to dispute the seriousness of mental health matters, the need for openness and support and treatment, or to suggest that serious mental health problems haven't risen in recent decades.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

It's funny how quickly... on 08:47 - Sep 15 with 4975 viewsVic

It's funny how quickly... on 00:58 - Sep 15 by The_Romford_Blue

Can't sleep

Given this Rommers - "I don't remember being taught ANYTHING in re. We used to just watch Cool Runnings and The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas on repeat for a year. The teacher was a Muslim maths teacher but because he was Muslim, the school made him teach RE as well he said." it might not be a bad idea to actually read the Bible which you say is rubbish!!

Might be worth reading it before you say it's rubbish, or you might be liable to the charge of being prejudiced and christianphobic!!

on 09:01 - Sep 15 with 4938 views_

It's funny how quickly... on 08:40 - Sep 15 by Vic

"I can assure you" - is based on what Libby?

'In your experience the majority are non plussed ...' not doubting that but so that has some weight in the discussion, what is your experience?

And for clarification I'm not connecting gender fluidity with the rise in self harm - it's too early to make that connection yet. I'm simply drawing attention to the rise in children's with mental health problems. It's well documented and from my own involvement with local primary schools I know there is a huge rise. The reasons are many, but one of the things that stand out are the number who come from one parent families. Not saying why that is, and making no judgements, it's just how it is. Have a look at Pupil premium stats if you want to know more.

It's funny how quickly... on 09:18 - Sep 15 with 4908 viewsVic

on 09:01 - Sep 15 by _

No problem. Not wanting to be confrontational but given that we have different takes on this and you meantioned your experience I ugh it was valid to ask what this is. I don't have a problem with different opinions 🙂. Half the problem in these debates (not just on here but anywhere) is that opinions quickly get polarised and people demonised and truth lies somewhere between the two positions. I'll always maintain that we should be able to have a civil, polite debate without descending into finger pointing or name calling, and respect for the other person is lost. (Not saying that's what you're necessarily doing!)

Just for clarity, I'm coming from the perspective of being governor of a primary school with responsibility for Pupil Premium. Doesn't make me an authority, but like you, it allows me to see analysis in our school which most others don't see.

It's funny how quickly... on 09:28 - Sep 15 with 4895 viewsClapham_Junction

It's funny how quickly... on 08:43 - Sep 15 by lowhouseblue

financial inequality has been stable since the end of the 80s - at times it has fallen - so that isn't going to work as an explanation. lack of social cohesion may be a better explanation - unstable family and community structures. 'mental health' has also become a much broader concept than it used to be. more things are labelled a 'mental health' issue and are medicalised and there is much more self-diagnosis using these terms. in the use of language we have lost some of the contrast between less serious problems and very serious problems. it is very good that we are now more aware, and open and pro-active in terms of serious mental health problems. but at a low level, led by social media, the 'mental health' label is applied much more widely and less precisely than in the past. school education has become much less good at promoting independence and resilience and as a result a wider range of fairly normal life adjustments are being given a mental health label when in the past they wouldn't necessarily have been conceptualised in those terms.

** none of this is to dispute the seriousness of mental health matters, the need for openness and support and treatment, or to suggest that serious mental health problems haven't risen in recent decades.

Yes, but financial inequality massively increased during the 80s, so we are now seeing children being born into families who have grown up in a much more unequal society.

Money problems are the one greatest cause of stress (and therefore mental health issues) and things like the deliberate destruction of social housing or the government's refusal to do anything about FOBT contribute heavily to worsening the situation.

https://www.ft.com/__origami/service/image/v2/images/raw/http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.ima
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024