Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What Random Reason Did You Decide To Support Town? Probably Not For The Locals 21:16 - Oct 24 with 12511 viewsmansfield_blue

I was six in 1981 and my older brother asked me to pick a team to win the Semi Final at Villa Park. Apparently afterwards I shut myself in our pantry and cried my eyes out for about an hour 😂
What Random Reason Did You Decide To Support Town? Probably Not For The Locals on 22:35 - Oct 24 with 10060 viewsmonty_radio

Have you followed them unerringly since then?
[Post edited 25 Oct 2017 11:17]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

What Random Reason Did You Decide To Support Town? Probably Not For The Locals on 22:37 - Oct 24 with 10055 viewsmanchego

I was at Villa Park then and I nearly cried.
What Random Reason Did You Decide To Support Town? Probably Not For The Locals on 22:50 - Oct 24 with 10025 viewsnoggin

Because my nan supported Town

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

What Random Reason Did You Decide To Support Town? Probably Not For The Locals on 22:50 - Oct 24 with 10023 viewsBlueorder

That flippin Paul Power innit.
What Random Reason Did You Decide To Support Town? Probably Not For The Locals on 22:50 - Oct 24 with 10022 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Because I liked tractors when I was 3

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

What Random Reason Did You Decide To Support Town? Probably Not For The Locals on 22:51 - Oct 24 with 10021 viewssyntaxerror

What Random Reason Did You Decide To Support Town? Probably Not For The Locals on 22:37 - Oct 24 by manchego

I was at Villa Park then and I nearly cried.

My dad, who was in the RN took me to my first game in 1978 at age 7. He was a Chelsea fan but got tickets to the FA cup final.
Town been my team ever since.
What Random Reason Did You Decide To Support Town? Probably Not For The Locals on 22:52 - Oct 24 with 10016 viewsStNeotsBlue

I was about 5 when I saw a team in blue beat a team in yellow 4-2 on The Big Match and I fell in love. I had no idea of the rivalry at the time and could have just as randomly been Everton or Birmingham.
What Random Reason Did You Decide To Support Town? Probably Not For The Locals on 22:54 - Oct 24 with 10010 viewsuncle

Because aged not-a-lot, i saw ipswich play at goodison with my dad (mad evertonian).
Town were good, everton not really good, and i thought ipswich must be quite nearby.

I was very very wrong on the nearby bit.
Login to get fewer ads

What Random Reason Did You Decide To Support Town? Probably Not For The Locals on 23:05 - Oct 24 with 9973 viewsCurrie10

The 3-2 win over Man Utd.

I was 9. My favourite colour was blue and all the other kids LOVED Man Utd.

Everytime they say 9-0 hahahaha I always ask them ' So you lost the league by ONE POINT that year, what was the score at Portman Road? ' Of course, they shut up then and haven't the foggiest.

Sidenote- Royston Keane was sent off that day. I have it in my head that reason alone is why he tried to ruin us as a club ;)
What Random Reason Did You Decide To Support Town? Probably Not For The Locals on 10:33 - Oct 25 with 9854 viewsgerard1947

I was there too. I remember it well, as a brilliant season started to crumble ever so slightly due to be being stretched so thin.

We were auguably the best team in the country that year, well ahead in the league, playing this semi, and in the final of the UEFA Cup.

I was simply amazing to be a Town fan then...
What Random Reason Did You Decide To Support Town? Probably Not For The Locals on 11:06 - Oct 25 with 9828 viewsBlueinBrum

You're correct, no one in their right mind would choose to follow Ipswich Town for the locals.
What Random Reason Did You Decide To Support Town? Probably Not For The Locals on 11:23 - Oct 25 with 9799 viewsWestover

I was born in Colchester but have always supported Town as my uncle played for them for nine seasons.
What Random Reason Did You Decide To Support Town? Probably Not For The Locals on 11:30 - Oct 25 with 9784 viewsPopeadrian64

1974 aged 10 Ipswich 3-2 Sheffield Utd , hooked ever since. Could never love another !!
What Random Reason Did You Decide To Support Town? Probably Not For The Locals on 11:37 - Oct 25 with 9765 viewsIpswichIrish

Matty Holland was always one of my favourite Irish players so I'd look for results then when Keane took over with him being an hero of mine growing up have loved them ever since. I follow Town and my first love Celtic but don't get to home games unfortunately but I go to northern based games away town games as often as I can.
What Random Reason Did You Decide To Support Town? Probably Not For The Locals on 12:41 - Oct 25 with 9709 viewsDarth_Koont

Because when I moved to Somerset as an 11 year-old, nearly everyone seemed to support Liverpool and maybe a few Forest with the odd Bristol City.

I just though F that. I'll pick the team in blue.

Because when everyone else zigs it's time to make a choice that you might regret for most of the next 30-40 years. Luckily I find Ipswich and the Championship itself grimly entertaining.

Pronouns: He/Him

What Random Reason Did You Decide To Support Town? Probably Not For The Locals on 12:47 - Oct 25 with 9695 viewsSwansea_Blue

I've never quite understood how someone just decides to support a club. In my experience, supporting a club is a bond that can only develop organically over time. I have little affinity for any club I haven't put the mileage into on the terraces. But each to their own I suppose.

For me were living up near Diss and my old man used to take me to PR first for reserve games and then the first team. I'm lucky I guess as we could equally have gone north, but he worked in Ipswich, so I assume that made the difference. Then when I was 7 we moved to the town and that was that.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What Random Reason Did You Decide To Support Town? Probably Not For The Locals on 12:51 - Oct 25 with 9686 viewsvilanovablue

The first FA cup I watched on TV and I picked Ipswich...
What Random Reason Did You Decide To Support Town? Probably Not For The Locals on 13:07 - Oct 25 with 9649 viewsDarth_Koont

What Random Reason Did You Decide To Support Town? Probably Not For The Locals on 12:47 - Oct 25 by Swansea_Blue

I've never quite understood how someone just decides to support a club. In my experience, supporting a club is a bond that can only develop organically over time. I have little affinity for any club I haven't put the mileage into on the terraces. But each to their own I suppose.

For me were living up near Diss and my old man used to take me to PR first for reserve games and then the first team. I'm lucky I guess as we could equally have gone north, but he worked in Ipswich, so I assume that made the difference. Then when I was 7 we moved to the town and that was that.

In principle I agree. But all bets are off you're living in a footballing vacuum like Somerset that was an hour away from the nearest club in the top two divisions and the other lower league clubs were just as far.

It might have been different if Yeovil had been a league club back then but I doubt it. In practice, just as far away as Exeter or Bristol but also without a reason to even pass through there.

Pronouns: He/Him

What Random Reason Did You Decide To Support Town? Probably Not For The Locals on 13:31 - Oct 25 with 9612 viewsOsborneOneNil

Grew up in Witham, Uncles were all Town fans, Dad wasn't around too much whilst I was young, went with Town. Dad is Spurs, so I actually 'should' have been a Yid.

It was actually my Dad who took me to my first game, Town v Spurs at PR, 14th March 1981. We won 3-0 (Gates, Wark (pen), Brazil).

Never looked back. Although my young sons may wish I'd followed Dad......
What Random Reason Did You Decide To Support Town? Probably Not For The Locals on 13:38 - Oct 25 with 9604 viewsSaleAway

Grew up in Harlow - didn't really follow a club.... not properly. No one in my family were interested. If you'd asked me, I was probably a plastic Liverpool fan ( it was the 80s, after all). But then whilst at uni I went to do a placement at BT in Martlesham. Realised there wasn't a whole lot else to do in Ipswich , and so started going to watch Town with a few mates whilst I was there.... this was the 98/99 season, so basically, I had a few good seasons at the beginning, and its all been downhill since.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

What Random Reason Did You Decide To Support Town? Probably Not For The Locals on 13:53 - Oct 25 with 9591 viewsWestSussexBlue

I was at school on a Monday morning, growing up in Swindon by the way. Group of boys talking football and it was All Liverpool Leeds Man U talk. I chipped in that Ipswich hit Notts county for five or six, nobody said much. Anyway a week or two later we walloped someone else, can’t remember who. I was back there giving it large as a 6 or 7?year old all about Ipswich.
Never looked back.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2017 13:55]
What Random Reason Did You Decide To Support Town? Probably Not For The Locals on 13:55 - Oct 25 with 9580 viewsClausThomsen

Elder Grizzly!

EireBlue!

Come on! Regail this forum with the tale of how you became ITFC fans!

lol
What Random Reason Did You Decide To Support Town? Probably Not For The Locals on 18:12 - Oct 25 with 9492 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

What Random Reason Did You Decide To Support Town? Probably Not For The Locals on 12:47 - Oct 25 by Swansea_Blue

I do see your point but I can't remember NOT supporting Town

I liked tractors and so before I knew what football was, someone bought me and Ipswich kit when I was 3. I've pretty much been Town all of my life.

I might not be local but I'd consider myself as much connected with Town as the rest of you

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

What Random Reason Did You Decide To Support Town? Probably Not For The Locals on 18:15 - Oct 25 with 9490 viewsSpruceMoose

What Random Reason Did You Decide To Support Town? Probably Not For The Locals on 18:12 - Oct 25 by The_Romford_Blue

I do see your point but I can't remember NOT supporting Town

I liked tractors and so before I knew what football was, someone bought me and Ipswich kit when I was 3. I've pretty much been Town all of my life.

I might not be local but I'd consider myself as much connected with Town as the rest of you

Can you tell me how to get to the bottom shops from Bobbit's Hole?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

What Random Reason Did You Decide To Support Town? Probably Not For The Locals on 18:20 - Oct 25 with 9485 viewsSpruceMoose

When it comes to support, I think it's not just about the club, it's about place. I don't mean to diminish the support of anyone who isn't from the area, as their support is no doubt equal, but I just always imagine it to be a different experience to support Town and be from here, rather than supporting us for some other perfectly valid reason.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2017 18:21]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024