Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice 13:04 - Nov 27 with 6178 viewsbrendanh

See first goal on Sat on one minute here:
https://www.twtd.co.uk/video/175905/highlights-%7C-town-3-pne-0

It's like watching an under 14s game when everyone is scared of the only oppo player to have reached puberty. Both of them completely refuse to challenge for the header! We so often hear from MM: we might not be the most skillful, but we battle and compete. Well not here.

Are we to conclude from this that MM has lost the dressing room? Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn clearly aren't interested in putting their bodies on the line. If they'd challenged and lost the header, fair enough. Challenging often is enough to prevent the opposing player from directing the ball exactly where he wants.

This goal is the most disgraceful and disheartening I've ever seen an Ipswich team concede.
Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:05 - Nov 27 with 5319 viewsSomethingBlue

"Are we to conclude from this that MM has lost the dressing room?"

No, it's just a sh*t goal to concede.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:08 - Nov 27 with 5298 viewsCaptainObvious

Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:05 - Nov 27 by SomethingBlue

"Are we to conclude from this that MM has lost the dressing room?"

No, it's just a sh*t goal to concede.

He's not talking about the genuine mistakes made by Iorfa, he's talking about 2 players trotting away from a high ball with no interest in competing for it. I thought at first maybe they misjudged the flight but they're not even looking at it.

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:08 - Nov 27 with 5291 viewsconnorscontract

I don't think that's what happened. I think both got into space for the flick-on that they assume the other is going for. Had Waghorn gone up for it and won it, Ward would have been in space and clear to counter-attack.

By the time they both realise that they are both doing that, it is too late.

Communication error, not lack of bottle from Waghorn, as he shows plenty of that in every match.
Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:10 - Nov 27 with 5281 viewsCaptainObvious

Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:08 - Nov 27 by connorscontract

I don't think that's what happened. I think both got into space for the flick-on that they assume the other is going for. Had Waghorn gone up for it and won it, Ward would have been in space and clear to counter-attack.

By the time they both realise that they are both doing that, it is too late.

Communication error, not lack of bottle from Waghorn, as he shows plenty of that in every match.

Interesting theory. As two of the smallest men on the pitch, i wouldn't have expected one to have assumed the other would win a flick-on header..

Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:14 - Nov 27 with 5253 viewsIllinoisblue

Your last line made me laugh out loud

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:15 - Nov 27 with 5246 viewsSomethingBlue

Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:08 - Nov 27 by CaptainObvious

He's not talking about the genuine mistakes made by Iorfa, he's talking about 2 players trotting away from a high ball with no interest in competing for it. I thought at first maybe they misjudged the flight but they're not even looking at it.

I know. I still find the "lost the dressing room" leap a bold one, as I'm sure you do really. Maybe, just maybe, it was just a thing that happened on a football pitch.

Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:15 - Nov 27 with 5248 viewsbrendanh

"they're not even looking at it" - indeed. Total disinterest. Average annual wage for Championship player is say £300-400k. Average wage for a Prem player: over £1m. For £600k, I'd compete for a frickingg header! It's total professional ineptitude for one thing. From supporters' perspective its utter dereliction of duty to the club. At least Waghorn has scored a few this season. Grant Ward can b*gger-off and never play for the club again as far as I'm concerned.
Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:16 - Nov 27 with 5242 viewsSteve_M

Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:14 - Nov 27 by Illinoisblue

Your last line made me laugh out loud

It's quite special isn't it? It's sent horrid flashbacks of Chris Marsden running through our defence and that first half at Peterborough away flashing through my mind though.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:19 - Nov 27 with 5214 viewsSomethingBlue

Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:15 - Nov 27 by brendanh

"they're not even looking at it" - indeed. Total disinterest. Average annual wage for Championship player is say £300-400k. Average wage for a Prem player: over £1m. For £600k, I'd compete for a frickingg header! It's total professional ineptitude for one thing. From supporters' perspective its utter dereliction of duty to the club. At least Waghorn has scored a few this season. Grant Ward can b*gger-off and never play for the club again as far as I'm concerned.

You probably mean "uninterest" — though I must admit I didn't read on much further so may have missed some killer context!

Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:20 - Nov 27 with 5214 viewsCaptainObvious

Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:15 - Nov 27 by SomethingBlue

I know. I still find the "lost the dressing room" leap a bold one, as I'm sure you do really. Maybe, just maybe, it was just a thing that happened on a football pitch.

No he hasn't lost the dressing-room. Just thought the incident pointed to something wrong that is more than just a mistake. He'll moan about not trusting Celina, but that looks far worse from two normally hard-working players

Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:23 - Nov 27 with 5172 viewsSwansea_Blue

You're reading way too much into it imo. Looks like they got caught out - it's just as likely they were expecting a decent clearance.

Cracking delivery on a couple of our corners there. That disallowed goal is really harsh.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:25 - Nov 27 with 5160 viewsWickets

I don't think he has lost the dressing room but also agree its hard to imagine what the two of them were doing for Villa's first. It was my first comment after the match on Saturday.
Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:31 - Nov 27 with 5127 viewsm14_blue

It was a lack of communication, nothing more and certainly not cowardice.

That's not to say it wasn't bl00dy poor play mind.
Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:33 - Nov 27 with 5113 viewsbrendanh

Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:23 - Nov 27 by Swansea_Blue

You're reading way too much into it imo. Looks like they got caught out - it's just as likely they were expecting a decent clearance.

Cracking delivery on a couple of our corners there. That disallowed goal is really harsh.

"Looks like they got caught out - it's just as likely they were expecting a decent clearance." - I've played the game to a decent standard. Often when competing for headers, you both know where the other is, so can position your shoulders to prevent head-clashes. But running backwards to challenge for a looping ball is one of the most nerve-wracking moments in the game. If you have a real intention to header the ball, you must keep your eyes on it. So you don't have a clue whether you're going to have a running clash of heads with an oppo player. I've been briefly concussed a couple of times doing this.

When you're a professional footballer at that standard though, you instantly have the best medical attention money can buy. There's simply no excuse not to compete unless you've simply bottled it. I'm still outraged by this, two days later.
Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:36 - Nov 27 with 5100 viewsStenvict

It's quite a simple explanation.

Waghorn would have been thinking, "you head it on Wardy, I'm on a bit of a roll in front of goal (and I don't trust you with the ball)"

Ward would have been thinking, "you're better in the air than me Waggy, nod it on and let me work some magic"

Poll: What will be announced first?

Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:38 - Nov 27 with 5085 viewspoppiesman

Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:31 - Nov 27 by m14_blue

It was a lack of communication, nothing more and certainly not cowardice.

That's not to say it wasn't bl00dy poor play mind.

Exactly how I saw it.
Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:41 - Nov 27 with 5076 viewsN2_Blue

Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:33 - Nov 27 by brendanh

"Looks like they got caught out - it's just as likely they were expecting a decent clearance." - I've played the game to a decent standard. Often when competing for headers, you both know where the other is, so can position your shoulders to prevent head-clashes. But running backwards to challenge for a looping ball is one of the most nerve-wracking moments in the game. If you have a real intention to header the ball, you must keep your eyes on it. So you don't have a clue whether you're going to have a running clash of heads with an oppo player. I've been briefly concussed a couple of times doing this.

When you're a professional footballer at that standard though, you instantly have the best medical attention money can buy. There's simply no excuse not to compete unless you've simply bottled it. I'm still outraged by this, two days later.

I think you need to calm down.

It's a poor goal and shocking miscommunication, but other than that you are reading far too much into it.

If this causes you outrage two days later I'm suprised you can get through 90mins of a game. I see far more frustrating mistakes every game that what you are seeing here.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:42 - Nov 27 with 5065 viewsSwansea_Blue

Still think you're reading far too much into it

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:44 - Nov 27 with 5057 viewsSchmoke

'I've been briefly concussed a couple of times doing this.'

I think it's starting to show mate.
Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:58 - Nov 27 with 5007 viewsGeoffSentence

They were probably worried about getting dementia.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 14:02 - Nov 27 with 4998 viewsGeoffSentence

Cobblers. They both look at it. If you aren't sure freeze it on 2.07

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 14:21 - Nov 27 with 4942 viewsfactual_blue

Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:15 - Nov 27 by brendanh

Assuming what you say is correct, they'd be 'uninterested', not 'disinterested'.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 14:21 - Nov 27 with 4940 viewsfactual_blue

Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 13:19 - Nov 27 by SomethingBlue

You probably mean "uninterest" — though I must admit I didn't read on much further so may have missed some killer context!

Posted before I spotted this, but it's a point that's worth making at least twice.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 14:24 - Nov 27 with 4925 viewsWD19

Chin up brendanh, you are not the first to have a shocker on debut. Keep putting in performances for the comments page and I am sure you will get another chance on the forum soon enough.
Grant Ward and Martyn Waghorn's cowardice on 14:26 - Nov 27 with 4918 viewsSuperfrans

Naaah.

It was fairly windy on Saturday, wasn't it? They simply misread the flight of the ball.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024