Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nail hit firmly on the head 08:29 - Feb 1 with 22703 viewsArnieM

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town-transfer-deadline-day-january-2018-1-53

....., and some good comments posted at bottom of article

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Nail hit firmly on the head on 10:23 - Feb 1 with 3681 viewsHerbivore

Nail hit firmly on the head on 09:40 - Feb 1 by ArnieM

Id challenge the concept that putting in £6m a year is "investment"....its actually barely covering the annual running costs , pure and simple. Which is why this Club is going nowhere under Evans tenure.

Of course it's investment, without it we'd have to cut our running costs even further to make ends meet. He enables us to compete at a better level than our turnover alone enables.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Nail hit firmly on the head on 10:31 - Feb 1 with 3677 viewsArnieM

Nail hit firmly on the head on 10:23 - Feb 1 by Herbivore

Of course it's investment, without it we'd have to cut our running costs even further to make ends meet. He enables us to compete at a better level than our turnover alone enables.

....in todays football market is it meaningful "investment"?

Furthermore , do you consider paying your utility bills , or car tax/ insurance and investment or just running costs ?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Nail hit firmly on the head on 10:35 - Feb 1 with 3674 viewsFreddies_Ears

Nail hit firmly on the head on 09:05 - Feb 1 by Herbivore

How do you know he's not actively looking to sell? We're not a very attractive proposition for a buyer. His plan is to invest in the academy, spend modest amounts on fees for players who are likely to have a resale value and build gradually. It's a plan, it's not as exciting as throwing £50m at it but it's a plan nonetheless and it's the only real feasible plan for a club like us with our budget.

It's very close to the plan that Burnley used, that in the end propelled them upwards. Invest in their academy, and make sure the first team squad is a bunch who actually want to work together.
I like Stuart Watson generally on 10:37 - Feb 1 with 3677 viewsDyland

And would prefer the club and McCarthy to be more open about what's happening in the summers.

But this article is swivel eyed sh1t stirring.

I smell a Hunt agenda.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Nail hit firmly on the head on 10:38 - Feb 1 with 3665 viewsFreddies_Ears

Id challenge the concept that putting in £6m a year is "investment"....its actually barely covering the annual running costs , pure and simple. Which is why this Club is going nowhere under Evans tenure.

You'd soon notice the difference if he stopped putting that much in! It would knock at least a third off the wagebill for starters.
I like Stuart Watson generally on 10:39 - Feb 1 with 3662 viewsFreddies_Ears

I like Stuart Watson generally on 10:37 - Feb 1 by Dyland

And would prefer the club and McCarthy to be more open about what's happening in the summers.

I smell a Hunt agenda.

I think you misspelled a very rude word...
Nail hit firmly on the head on 10:42 - Feb 1 with 3644 viewsSuperfrans

Nail hit firmly on the head on 08:45 - Feb 1 by Steve_M

That's some re-interpretation there. It's quite incredible that being mid-table means that some can't appreciate anything MM does or has done at this club.

Arguably we're in a better position this Summer for McCarthy to leave than we would have been last year in that Waghorn, Garner, Huws, Adeyemi are all good second-tier players who would suit a different manager. Loanees and short-contract players are are a fact of this division now, especially for clubs with lower budgets.

And, yet the indecision over MM's future and ME's apparent desire to let our higher earners leave means that we are just drifting through the season without any signs of how that changes. Some putting all their hopes on a new manager are going to be disappointed without a change of approach from Evans.

To be fair, we don't know if there is indecision about MM's position. It may be all decided.

And unfortunately for our fans (who seem to think they have a right to this) they won't be the first to know.

I do agree that we're in a better position than we were when Mick joined. It's crazy talk to suggest otherwise.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2018 10:43]

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Nail hit firmly on the head on 10:46 - Feb 1 with 3638 viewsSuperfrans

Nail hit firmly on the head on 10:38 - Feb 1 by Freddies_Ears

You'd soon notice the difference if he stopped putting that much in! It would knock at least a third off the wagebill for starters.

Yup. We'd be in League 1, possibly 2, the academy would likely have to close (or be reduced to well below catagory b), we'd have to scale down training/backroom facilities dramatically.

This is essentially what is facing the yella fellas up the road, as sure as eggs are eggs.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Login to get fewer ads

I like Stuart Watson generally on 11:15 - Feb 1 with 3626 viewsPJH

I like Stuart Watson generally on 10:37 - Feb 1 by Dyland

I smell a Hunt agenda.

Not sure how much influence Hunt now has as he is no longer Editor.
He does still have his Northstander column though.

It might be a Watson agenda.
Nail hit firmly on the head on 11:24 - Feb 1 with 3611 viewsDarth_Koont

I think he's actually wrong here.

I think we're much more focusing on the long term than at any time over the past 15 years - other than the last year of Royle/Magic pre-Evans That's why we use options on players and don't commit to long-term deals for players that are/might be past their sell-by-date.

Pronouns: He/Him

Nail hit firmly on the head on 11:25 - Feb 1 with 3607 viewsDarth_Koont

Nail hit firmly on the head on 09:12 - Feb 1 by hype313

No different to what lots of posters have been writing about on here for the past year.

Exactly. I expect better from a journalist covering Town.

Pronouns: He/Him

Nail hit firmly on the head on 11:27 - Feb 1 with 3597 viewsKieran_Knows

Nail hit firmly on the head on 09:12 - Feb 1 by hype313

No different to what lots of posters have been writing about on here for the past year.

Exactly this. People make out like Watson comes up with some fantastic articles, yet it's almost like he copies a load of stuff from here and Twitter, but just has a different platform to promote it.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Nail hit firmly on the head on 11:40 - Feb 1 with 3575 viewsmonty_radio

Nail hit firmly on the head on 11:27 - Feb 1 by Kieran_Knows

Exactly this. People make out like Watson comes up with some fantastic articles, yet it's almost like he copies a load of stuff from here and Twitter, but just has a different platform to promote it.

So he's condemned if he keeps in with the club and posts anodyne "everything is lovely posts" and condemned if his general thrust equals whatever social media is now saying.

He has to write something, and many fans don't ever access social media. He has gradually moved, as have many, perhaps most, on here. He seems a fan - give the guy a break.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Nail hit firmly on the head on 11:43 - Feb 1 with 3567 viewsPJH

Nail hit firmly on the head on 11:40 - Feb 1 by monty_radio

So he's condemned if he keeps in with the club and posts anodyne "everything is lovely posts" and condemned if his general thrust equals whatever social media is now saying.

He has to write something, and many fans don't ever access social media. He has gradually moved, as have many, perhaps most, on here. He seems a fan - give the guy a break.

So maybe he should have in his headlines "as reported on TWTD" because he is rarely if ever first with any ITFC news/story.
Nail hit firmly on the head on 11:45 - Feb 1 with 3565 viewsmarcus1642

Good statement. I also would like to add, in my opinion anyway, that Evans was hoping FFP would have bitten harder which it simply hasn't.

Evans simply puts enough in to keep Town ticking over, nothing more, and I bet he would sell up if he could claw some of the money back which the club owes him.
Nail hit firmly on the head on 11:46 - Feb 1 with 3562 viewsKieran_Knows

Nail hit firmly on the head on 11:40 - Feb 1 by monty_radio

I just think his articles are no different to what everybody already knows, and yet he gets lauded as if he's the first one to think it/write it up. Appreciate there might be a section of supporters who don't have access to the internet, and just read the papers, that's fair enough, but rarely do I read a piece of his and think 'oh, that's something different to what we already know'.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2018 11:47]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

It tickled me last night when he tweeted.... on 11:57 - Feb 1 with 3530 viewsBloots

Nail hit firmly on the head on 11:43 - Feb 1 by PJH

So maybe he should have in his headlines "as reported on TWTD" because he is rarely if ever first with any ITFC news/story.

....that he was "aware of the Rhodes rumours".

Congratulations, you've got a twitter account and access to the internet.

Well done pal, top class journalism.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

It tickled me last night when he tweeted.... on 12:26 - Feb 1 with 3504 viewsBeckets

It tickled me last night when he tweeted.... on 11:57 - Feb 1 by Bloots

....that he was "aware of the Rhodes rumours".

Congratulations, you've got a twitter account and access to the internet.

Well done pal, top class journalism.

I don't think you get much original thought from him but he seems to have a reasonable understanding of the mood amongst supporters. If he'd written a piece today saying everything in the garden is rosy and the club has a clear strategy going forward you'd question his sanity as much as anything.
Nail hit firmly on the head on 12:45 - Feb 1 with 3487 viewsmonty_radio

Nail hit firmly on the head on 11:43 - Feb 1 by PJH

Was first last night on McGoldrick when people on here were saying everyone had left the building, and we were done.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Nail hit firmly on the head on 12:56 - Feb 1 with 3461 viewsNo9

Nail hit firmly on the head on 08:34 - Feb 1 by GunnsAirkick

Not a bad article.

This comment made me laugh though.

"The stark reality is that then team he inherited, in the lowest sense of the word, is actually far stronger than the wreckage he leaves behind."

So we're in a bigger mess than what Mick inherited from Jewell, really?

You are correct, people forget who was in PJ's squad
& it was essentially that which MM used to avoid relegation.
& the lat time we had a footballer in midfield - if only he hadn't gone AWOL
Nail hit firmly on the head on 12:58 - Feb 1 with 3460 viewsPJH

Nail hit firmly on the head on 12:45 - Feb 1 by monty_radio

Was first last night on McGoldrick when people on here were saying everyone had left the building, and we were done.

Was he?

I did say rarely if ever, he usually seems to follow already reported "rumours"-often several hours late.

As it turns out we were done and probably everyone had left the building.
Nail hit firmly on the head on 13:01 - Feb 1 with 3452 viewsNazemariner

I'm never sure what to make of Watsons views. Sometimes i agree with him, such as at last weeks pre match presser, where he was the only one with cahoonas big enough to challenge MM on where his future lies, had and other times i feel he is piggybacking the viewpoint of the ignorant majority.

In this instance i think his criticism of the club is way off. MM is playing his cards close to his chest with regard to the fans and the media, and i suspect he is doing the same with ME. It appears that he wants us all to tell him how great he is, and how lucky we are to have him at our club, and only then will he commit his future. He is signing players short term so as not to burden a new manager should he go in the summer, but he is also seeking to either sign or develop young talent with a view to the future. This is a sensible strategy if you ask me.

The level headed amongst us would never grumble at the direction in which this club has moved whilst under Micks stewardship, and to say we are in a similar position to when PJ left is plain daft.
Nail hit firmly on the head on 13:11 - Feb 1 with 3432 viewsTJS

I am sick and tired of people making excuses for mediocrity by banging on about the size of the town and comparing us to other failed clubs.
We SHOULD be aiming for the top six minimum every season.
We SHOULD have ambitions for the club higher than mid-table in this division
We SHOULD be trying to win away games rather than settling for a draw every time
Nail hit firmly on the head on 13:16 - Feb 1 with 3422 viewsPJH

Nail hit firmly on the head on 13:11 - Feb 1 by TJS

I am sick and tired of people making excuses for mediocrity by banging on about the size of the town and comparing us to other failed clubs.
We SHOULD be aiming for the top six minimum every season.
We SHOULD have ambitions for the club higher than mid-table in this division
We SHOULD be trying to win away games rather than settling for a draw every time

Yes, as you say MM must still be livid with Spence for getting the winner at Millwall after they had got back to 3-3, livid with the team for not letting Derby score after we had gone ahead, livid with Waggy for scoring the winner at Barnsley and livid with all the team for letting Celina take that freekick at Burton.
Nail hit firmly on the head on 13:24 - Feb 1 with 3401 viewsTJS

Nail hit firmly on the head on 13:16 - Feb 1 by PJH

Yes, as you say MM must still be livid with Spence for getting the winner at Millwall after they had got back to 3-3, livid with the team for not letting Derby score after we had gone ahead, livid with Waggy for scoring the winner at Barnsley and livid with all the team for letting Celina take that freekick at Burton.

wow - we've won 4 away games - less than anyone in the top half.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024